Tuesday, December 28, 2021

December 28

It’s a beautiful sunshiny day here in Omaha. It’s a little chillier than it has been, but not too bad. I was up and at Walmart just a few minutes after eight this morning. I walked the length of the store twice just to get some exercise before I started the shopping for mom and me. I was back home by nine! It was great. There were only about 20 cars in the parking lot when I got there and the store was virtually empty.

Tonight was supposed to be our last Christmas gathering. Dennis‘s nephew Matt, Kayla, his wife and Mandy and Piper we’re coming over to have pizza.  We were going to give grandma her Christmas present from the three of us. Kayla texted me this morning and said Matt woke up with a sore throat and generally not feeling well so they thought they probably shouldn’t come until they know what’s going on. We were disappointed, but thought that we could still go on with everything but Mandy just called and said they were exposed to Covid on Christmas Eve by someone who has tested positive. They both feel fine, but we don’t want to expose grandma to anything. So now it’s down to Dennis and I and mom. I think will go ahead and give her the gift from all of us, along with a card that thankfully I had everyone sign in advance. This Covid thing sure has put a monkey wrench in a lot of things hasn’t it?

So I think I’ll spend the afternoon taking Christmas decorations down. I was going to do that tomorrow with Piper because she was supposed to spend the night with us tonight. It’s disappointing, but I guess a lot of people have had disappointments over the past couple of years haven’t they?

Yesterday I managed to complete just one pair of mittens and about 3/4 of another single mitten. 

Brad, Mandy and Piper gave me this for Christmas. She thought it was pretty and something that could be left out all winter. She bought it at a craft fair where she found all kinds of neat things this past fall.
Now this is a bit of a silly picture but this is our television set. I have been listening to a lot of Christmas music during the day on YouTube and they have different scenes depending on the channel I choose. This was one I found this morning that I thought was particularly beautiful.  The music that I’m listening to right now is all Christmas music on the piano.
Not too much else exciting happening here. There is snow predicted for Saturday for the first time this year. The forecast keeps changing, so we’ll see what really happens.

Take care everyone. I better start getting those boxes out. The decorations won’t put themselves away.
Blessings,
Betsy


13 comments:

  1. That was the story of our holiday. Everyone was either sick or exposed to someone so we were all alone again this year. It really got me down. I am also angry because almost everyone in the family is now back on working from home again but my 8 month pregnant daughter is still out there every day working with the germ infested public because she won't stay home. She's boosted but we still had some words over it. She's her own boss and could do what we wants but apparently money is more important than her health. I hope when they put that new baby in her arms she gets some sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mittens are very lovely. I hope you and yours had a Merry Christmas and will have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry your gathering didn't work out. Good job on the mittens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your plans had to be cancelled, but better to be safe. We are in the same situation....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so glad we celebrated early (the 19th) since I was exposed on the 20th. Everyone over age 3 was vaccinated and all the adults had boosters. My daughter, son-in-law and three oldest grandchildren from out of town took rapid tests before coming. And where was I exposed? Church! Jeeesh. I am trying to look ahead to next year. But glad your family is keeping mom safe and using their heads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely present!

    Covid is definitely playing with all of us, but at least your loved ones are playing it smart and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been listening to the same YouTube channel. I do love Christmas music! Glad you were able to learn of the exposure before having your gathering. It’s disappointing to cancel, but so important to protect the vulnerable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry your plans had to change. Covid seems to throw a new monkey wrench into things every week.

    I sent Steve out to get K95 masks as they now say the cloth ones we were wearing aren't really very effective. The k95 don't go on as easy, but they sure are more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the cool picture on the tv. While looking for a certain craft tutorial, I ran across a youtube "crackling fireplace" that apparently had Christmas music. // I'm probably not going to sleep much tonight (not that I sleep well anyway with my chronic insomnia lol) since I guess Andrew meant they were checking into the hospital this evening (5pm) and inducing tonight, not tomorrow... sooo, that baby will probably be here in a few hours, sometime tomorrow... and so great-gramma 😁 is spending time praying and thinking of them. // Blessings to you, dear Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betsy I love your blog! I'm so sorry to hear about your cancelled plans for tonight, but I'm praying that everybody will get well and stay well. Would you please pray for my granddaughter's boyfriend Ian? He has come down with Covid and is very sick and can hardly breathe. His father brought it back with him from a funeral in Scotland. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry the fun time together was cancelled but hopefully all will be well soon and not sick from the virus. I have knitted 8 rows on my shawl and have more to do tonight. Our snow is going away. No icy roads like Monday and Sunday. Will see if we actually get more snow and below freezing one night. I don't know if I have YouTube on our Roku tv that is free. I need to watch something tonight when knitting and folding towels. I did make come oatmeal bars so they need to be cut eventually! Hugs and blessings!!--Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy I missed so many of your posts because of me and husband having Covid. I'm just today attempting to catch up on everyone's blog but at this point it may be impossible.
    I agree, Covid had definitely messed up many plans. We were exposed to Covid in our choral performance by someone who tested positive for Covid. The next day after our choral director emailed us about the Covid case my daughter got from the preschool that one of her students tested positive for Covid. We all got sick though my daughter only got it mildly. Tim and I are still coughing and get worn out. Anyway happy new year and please forgive the lack of capitalizing. I'm tired.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty new mittens! the wall art is so pretty--a nice view on the wall!

    ReplyDelete