Sunday, December 12, 2021

December 12

Happy 3rd Sunday of Advent! We had a wonderful morning at church with both Sunday School and the church service too. We sang Christmas carols and heard a wonderful sermon on the JOY that Jesus birth provides for us all. As much as we love our Spokane church home and family, this is the actual church we met in during a Sunday School class. We were married in this church and all of us, including our kids, were  baptized here and learned so much about Jesus and His love for us. There is really something special about being back here for Advent and the Christmas season again for the first time since 1992.
This is was it looked like this morning and the photo doesn’t do it justice on how the candles glowed, etc. Most of these decorations were from a wedding last weekend that were left up for the season. It was beautiful.

In my advent stocking was another little candle. It smells so yummy. The sweet little snow people we have had since the first year or two we were married. I think they were from Home Interiors, but I’m not positive. They are some of my favorites.

This ornament was made by our son Jamie in 1993. He tore off the tags from all of the moving boxes when we moved to Spokane. He put them all together and then scotch taped around it. It is hung with a piece of tinsel, also scotch taped to it. He was 10 years old at the time and it has hung proudly on our tree each year since.

Tonight we hope to talk Mom into driving around to look at Christmas lights with us. There are definitely some beautiful ones out there. Should we take hot chocolate or stop for ice cream?

Yesterday we watched a movie on Netflix that we really enjoyed. It is narrated by Maggie Smith who played Professor McGonagal in Harry Potter.  It tells the story of how St. Nickolas came to be, complete with a talking mouse. (Vera, maybe distract Mabel if you watch it. Ha!) The title of the movie is, “A Boy Called Christmas.” We both really enjoyed it and it would be good for kids too.

I hope you find TRUE JOY in this season. Not just happiness, but true JOY. They are different. I’ll see you again tomorrow and hope your Sunday is a wonderful one.

Blessings and love,
Betsy



13 comments:

  1. How pretty your church looked all decorated for Christmas. I can imagine how nice it is to be back in your home church again.
    I'll go look on Netflix for that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your church looks beautiful.

    As for hot chocolate or ice cream? Hmmmmmmmmm, that's a hard one. I think I would go for ice cream, but I do like hot chocolate too. I just like getting out. So, ice cream is my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always opt for hot chocolate when go out to check out holiday decorations, but it's usually pretty cold here and we need the hot drink to warm us up! Your church decorations are beautiful. I love the ornament that Jamie made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie’s ornament is clever! How fun that you still hang it on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty the candles look! We took two of our young grandchildren to look at lights last night. We just did a quick few streets here in town. We had big winds (but not tornados, bless those souls), and many houses had lights down. All the major light displays were closed too. Most are up again tonight, but we are fresh out of grandchildren. Here hot chocolate is the staple for light looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that movie on Netflix I guess I will have to watch it! What a sentimental ornament...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that ornament! That's what I call a real family heirloom. I was just trying to tell Daughter that you can't buy an heirloom. You have to make them from memories and sometimes the silliest things are the ones that mean the most.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that ornament! Such a great story.

    I told Dave I'm going to take him for a drive around the town at night one night soon. It might be little town, but the people here go all out with the Christmas lights!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Wheel of time has turned full circle for you and Dennis. It is extraordinary as well as emotive that you have returned to the very place where you both met and the place where so many family events took place and awaken happy memories. Your snow people collection is fabulous! I am looking forward to the next one :-) I so admire Maggie Smith she is quite a character and a brilliant actress if she appears in any film or programme I make a beeline to watch it. Hot chocolate sounds just right! The church decorations are beautiful and your son's tree ornament so endearing. Keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day--I've watched that movie twice now (with 2 sets of grands) and loved it both times--I think it needs to be a tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite the ornament your son made as a year of remembrance of a new state you moved to. We hear the advent in the Israel class we attend. There were a few more things added at church which was Mary,Joseph and baby Jesus. Also lovely items having on posts. I'm going to Christmas eve service at 10. Wish it was earlier. I like story you shared about you meeting Dennis at church and getting married there. Blessings my friend, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had a wonderful Sunday!! We still visit the church where we were married 59 years ago!! I also hope you find TRUE JOY this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a great ornament and your church looks lovely. I vote for ice cream followed by hot chocolate! Yes...I can be a piggie. LOL about the movie and distracting Mabel.

    ReplyDelete