Monday, November 2, 2020

November Challenge

Some bloggers are posting different challenges for November. I got it from Debi at "Barefoot Mom" over on my sidebar. For November 1 it is to post 20 things about yourself. Tomorrow the challege is my favorite quote. Lets see how long I can keep it up! 
 
1. I'm the baby of the family. Two older brothers, one older sister. My oldest brother died of COVID in May.

 2. I graduated 10th in a class of 494 in high school way back in 1978.

 3. I got engaged to Dennis when I was 16 and he was 20. We got married right after I graduated. I was 18. We've been married 42 years. 

 4. My Mom died very unexpectedly of a massive heart attack when I was 29. It was devastating to me and still is 31 years later. 

 5. I have three children. Mandy, Jamie and Alex. (1 girl, 2 boys) 

 6. I have three grandchildren. Kyleigh, Caleb and Piper. 

 7. I was born and raised in a town of less than 2,000 in Iowa. BUT. The town is in the middle of Omaha, NE. The Missouri River flooded years ago and left part of Iowa in the middle of Omaha. 

 8. Dennis and I moved to Spokane, WA 27 years ago because of his job. We love the Inland Northwest. 

 9. I adore chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. 

10. I have three favorite vacation spots and it's impossible to choose just one. Maui, Hawaii...The UK, specifically London and Bath...The Oregon Coast. 

11. I love to crochet and knit. I can also spin, but I gave my wheel away a few years ago to a mother/daughter who really wanted to spin to earn some money for their family. 

12. I have a soft spot in my heart for Veteran's. We have many in our family. 

13. I can't swim. I have taken lessons many times but I still can't swim. I'm terrified of water over my head
14. I learned to crochet when I was 7 years old. My Grandma, (Dad's Mom), taught me. I made a little zig-zag blanket for my doll bed. 

15. I taught myself to knit by utube videos about 15 years ago because I didn't know anyone who could teach me. 

16. I have three of the smartest kids ever. Seriously. They are all brilliant. 

17. I desperately want to move closer to family when Dennis retires, but I don't want to leave Washington because it's beautiful and we have lots of friends here. 

18. I hate sauerkraut. 

19. I love peanut butter toast with chocolate milk. I also love pizza and could eat it every day.

20. I've been to Japan three times and I love the country and the people more every time I go. (Please let COVID go away so I can travel again!) 

This was fun! 
Blessings, 
Betsy



18 comments:

  1. A fun post Betsy! I enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to read all about you!!! I am challenged enough to come up with daily blog content anymore. This pandemic is really wearing me down. I can't seem to really care about much of anything anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun! A nice way to reveal a bit of yourself to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I took can't swim (well I can swim in a direction, or float, but I can't tread water) and I'm also terrified of water deeper than me. Dave is an amazing swimmer, and in his younger days had lifeguard status. You'd think after all these years, he'd have taught me a thing or two, but nope! I just stay out of deep water or water with strong currents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, your life is very interesting! I learned a lot. My sympathies on the loss of your brother. I lost my mother 13 years ago this coming March. It still seems like yesterday. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to get to know each other. I didn't know you got engaged at 16. I hear about the sauerkraut. I depose the stuff!😝🀒

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I can’t swim even though I’ve taken lessons. I could probably save myself by floating on my back but swimming is out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Betsy for sharing these details about yourself. It is great to get to know you that little bit more :-) I wonder if I could learn to knit via you tube then. I want to make gorgeous socks like yours!! keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha-ha! Number 18 had me laughing. Nice to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 7 fascinated me. I didn't know about the Iowa piece in Nebraska! I love Bath, too. It's where I got the name Minerva for my blog name. The Romans dedicated the baths to the goddess Minerva. I have a replica of a bust of her that I bought at the gift shop in Bath on my piano.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betsy, reading those things about was so nice. I can't swim either. My dad tried and tried and tried to teach me but I could never get over my fear of water. My brother and sister both learned to swim when we were children. I'm going to look for a you tube video on how to knit, but I'm I will never learn how. You must have a natural talent for knitting. You knit such beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for joining in. I'm like you, I've started challenges before but have forgotten them so I'm going to try really hard to finish this one! My mom was like you and could never learn to swim. Her mother instlled a dreadful fear of water into all eight of her children. My mom made sure we all learned to swim (my dad was a lifeguard) and I tried to teach her but she never learned. Have a great week and thanks again for joining in Chy's challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Betsy, Lovely to learn about you. My mother could not swim either and she made certain we learned. I was the one who was most fearful. I didn't really get it until l4th grade. All my sibs could swim by age 4.
    I love dark chocolate.
    Im still sorry for your loss this year and horrible COVID

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your brother...that is sad. Oh I love sauerkraut...now I am hungry for it!
    Fun to hear more about you! I hope you have a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Betsy, I loved reading the 20 facts about you. It's lovely to know you a bit better. ( I'm another one who is terrified of deep water. When we still had our canoe I'd be sure to wear my life jacket even when it was hot).

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are awesome facts about you. Who knew so many of us can't swim! I was wondering, was the flood you referred to the one that happened in 1993? (Or somethere thereabouts.) I remembers ome of our area being underwater in some places for a couple months. I was in westren Kansas harvesting with a friend's family and remember my dad writing to ask if we were all floating around the countryside lol. That was one of the time I was in the middle of a tornado, watched a hopper roll right over my car where it was parked near the field... and only ended up with a scratch on the trunk. I'm enjoying the challenges so far, I think I needed something different to do right now. Still so very sorry about your brother, always in our prayers here! Be blessed, mt friend! P. S. I loooooove sauerkraut lol... sorry. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing more about you, Betsy...I'll try to remember not to offer you sauerkraut! You are a dear amazing Queen! πŸ’œπŸ€—πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed reading your 20 things. A great way to get to know a friend even better. I'll keep this short as I did 3 comments for you and I'm worn out!!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete