Monday, November 2, 2020

Favorite Quote

On day two of the November challenge we are supposed to share our favorite quote. I could not narrow it down to just one so I will share my two favorite quotes with you.

“In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.”  Mother Theresa

AND

“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.”   Helen Keller

I finished the Pimpelliese Shawl last night. I received the additional yarn from Knit Picks and started knitting away on it. It wasn’t until I took these photos that I realized how different the colors of second skein are.  Both skeins say they are the “manatee tonal” colorway, but one is much lighter. When I held the new skein up to the partially finished shawl when I received it, they looked the same. I am a bit disappointed as this was supposed to be a gift and I don’t feel as though I can give it away like this.

Look at the obvious line on the left. I’m trying to decide what to do. Should I just frog the whole thing and use the yarn for something else?  What do you all think?

I cannot believe how fast worsted weight socks knit up.  I started these socks this morning and finished them right after dinner. They took virtually no time at all.  It’s just a plain K1P1 for the leg and knit stitch for the foot. I did an eye of partridge heel flap and kitchener stitch for the toe.

I made them to wear inside of my slippers this winter. The floor of the trailer does get pretty chilly.  They haven’t been blocked yet, as I just took them off of the needles.

Dennis and I took a drive yesterday as it was an absolutely gorgeous day. This is the road up to Jeremy and Alicia‘s house on the slopes of Mount Spokane.

Isn’t it gorgeous? There was just a little patch of snow on the right as you can see in the next picture. It reached 60° today and was absolutely gorgeous.  They have offered over and over for us to just keep our trailer up at their house and live in it there. Or park the trailer and live with them in the house until Dennis retires. They are so good to us, but this road gets pretty nasty in the winter and Dennis would have over an hour commute from their house. Days like yesterday when it’s so pretty it’s very tempting. You can’t hear a sound when you’re at their house, it is so quiet.

Tomorrow is election day here in the U.S. and I am keeping our country in prayer through it all. I am praying that the rioting and violence that is predicted does not happen and cooler heads will prevail. I hope those of you that live here use your right to vote as it is very precious and one we may not always have.  Never did I think we would have rioting and violence and have to board up windows because of an election here in our country.  Those are the kinds of things that happen in Third World countries, not here.  I have no idea what is happening, but it is not good.  And that is as political as I would get here on my blog.๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ’œ

Many Blessings, 
Betsy

22 comments:

  1. That is too bad about the shawl. I did that once with a sweater I was making for Son. The top half and the bottom half were two different grays.
    I need to dig out the slippers I made myself years ago. It's finally gotten chilly and I bet they are a dusty mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful drive up to your friend's house. I am hoping for a calm day here too.

    I don't know what to tell you about your shawl. In the first picture it looks fine to me, but I do see the line in the second picture. Frustrating! sorry I have no advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are lovely quotes.
    It would be a shame to rip out all that knitting. What about over-dyeing it? Dip it in a dye bath of about a medium blue or purple, it should even things out a bit, and as long as they dye isn't too strong and dark, you'll still have the variations of hand-dyed yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very scary. I do not see the election changing anything. We have sunk to some real lows. Over the weekend people were blocking traffic in my small community and yelling profanity at people in the streets. It was very scary. I never thought it would come to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just saying the same thing to Steve. I have voted in every election since I turned 18. NEVER has there been this type of violent behavior.

    As for the shawl .........I would frog it and reknit it alternating skeins. You'll get a nice tonal look that is even throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Dee about the shawl, especially if you want to gift it. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous but it will change over the weekend. I keep reminding myself that God is in control and has a plan. Every day I pray for patience as I wait for His will to be revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love all your finishes. The shawl looks so cozy. There really isn't anything as cozy as a warm shawl on a chilly day. Wow, your Son's place looks awesome. I love the quiet in the woods of where you only hear the wind blow past and the birds sing. Lovely. I pray in agreement with you about our country. I hope everyone voted, because like you said, we very well might loose the right to vote if we don't. Evil seeks to devour what is good in this world, but be of good cheer, for we have read the back of the Book, and we know what He has planned for us. Wishing you a day filled with many blessings sweet dear friend. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quote from Helen Keller... and as always,, your knitting talents are just fabulous!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would try to dye it first and if you don't like it then you can frog it. I know you are a bit of a perfectionist so do what makes you feel the best. I frogged something yesterday...lots of work down the drain but I feel better.
    Enjoy the nice weather! I understand by the weekend it may change:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quotes! I would give it anyway....once they're wearing it and moving around no one would ever know plus if they wear it around their neck like some do you certainly wouldn't notice it. Remember, it's the thought that counts! I think it's beautiful!
    I love your pictures out in the country! Beautiful! Nor riots or looting here so far! LOL! Don't worry about things you have no control over just pray! A lot! LOL! Stay safe and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two excellent quotes from two wonderful people of the past! I so enjoyed reading about Helen Keller when I was little, I thought she was fascinating! Your area is SO BEAUTIFUL up there! We are doing a lot of praying right now also about the election and everything going on. Who.da thought our world would be this way during out lifetime! I'm not sure what you should do about the shawl... unless you frog it and then work the colors in as varied layers? (If that's possible since I don't know how to knit lol.) I know you'll figure it out! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see how you would be frustrated with the yarn in your shawl, you put so much work into it and it is beautiful because you always do a marvelous job on all of your projects. I'm so sorry this happened. On the other hand, the socks are fantastic and look so warm and cozy.
    I think the whole world is looking at us to see how crazy we get here in the USA after the election . . . it's a rotten shame how people are so quick to anger and become violent. What good do they possibly think it would accomplish. I guess it's just the fact that they don't think. My thoughts are that no matter what happens in or after this election, our God is in control and He will use it for His purpose. In that we can rely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your shawl Betsy. I'm praying up a storm tonight. Election is nerve racking. I'd wear the shawl... no one will notice. !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would frog the shawl and reknit it. It’s beautiful, but the color difference is very obvious. I suspect you’ll never be happy with it if you leave it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Variegated yarn has lines--I would give it away like that-it is beautiful and a non-knitter wouldn't know the difference! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous drive! I have 2 suggestions for the shawl. (1) Rip it back a few rows past the new yarn, alternate the skeins for a few rows then keep on knitting or (2) over dye it. It's a shame to waste the yarn and your time but that line between the 2 skeins is pretty obvious. Okay, 3 suggestions... (3) add some different colored duplicate stitch stripes with one of the stripes covering the line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your stitching and speed is amazing!!! The shawl will make a beautiful gift when worn. So glad you enjoyed a beautiful drive and have good friends to bless and encourage you. I appreciated all you quotes!!!๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read that you did frog the shawl.. did you get another skein that matched better? I'm amazed that you knit two socks in one day! Bravo! I'm so glad your friends have adopted you both as grandparents. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m glad you decided to frog it, a good way if a lot of work.
    I’ve no idea if this will publish as commenting on your blog is very difficult on iPad.. but persist. Praying Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmm won’t write much as think it’s going to be eaten too. Praying Betsy
    Thanks for Sharing, God bless and keep you safe, and all those you love, hugs Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wrote 3 comments on Blogger on ipad and losr the lot.
    Very discouraging.
    Now on mobile. Won't write much. It eats them here too. Glad frogged shawl if lorsof work.
    Praying much

    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}


    ReplyDelete
  22. That is SO sweet of your friends to make that offer to you. I'm sure it is comforting to have that available to you. May the Lord bless and keep you and always show you His perfect will. Blessings to you today.

    ReplyDelete