Wednesday, November 18, 2020

November Challenge Day 17

Before I write anything else I need to wipe the egg off of my face. I said the pattern for the socks I was working on yesterday were from Vera’s blog at “The Threaded Lane.” Vera very nicely corrected me and said that it was not her pattern. But it IS Cindy’s pattern at the blog “Delighted Hands.”  Cindy, I am so very sorry. Sometimes my brain doesn’t work very well. I absolutely love this pattern. I finished the first sock this evening and started it’s mate. Thank you for sharing the pattern with us, and for forgiving my error.

The challenge today is the meaning behind my blog name. Well, it’s pretty self-explanatory and easy. My name is Betsy, I live a fairly simple life and my last name is Queen!  An extra little tidbit is that my grandmother’s maiden name on my Mom’s side was King. Now what are the odds of that?  

The reason as to why I started the blog has a story behind it though.  As you know Alex lives in Japan. He was there during the big earthquake and tsunami a number of years ago. He also lives in the part of Japan that was affected by the tsunami. When he told us how bad it was and I saw the hardship of the people online, I felt compelled to help in some way. It gets so cold there and lots and lots of snow. Most people don’t think about Japan having that much snow. They actually have a lot more than Spokane does every year. I decided I was going to knit 300 hats by fall to donate to the shelters. Well, word got out and you know how generous knitters and crocheters are.  Before I knew it, we had filled several huge boxes.  And I mean huge boxes!  Dennis and I spent over $2,000.00 just shipping those boxes to Japan!!!!!  Poor Alex! He had boxes, boxes and more boxes all over his tiny apartment. I started having people mail things directly to him so double shipping wasn’t being paid. Then, I flew to Japan in September. When I saw his apartment I couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t even sleep in his bed. He had a little space on the floor that he curled up in. Boxes were piled on his bed and everywhere else too. He took a week off of work and we drove to Sendai and several other towns and delivered all of the lovely things that people had made to shelters, but that wasn’t all. Several times Alex opened up the trunk and people came running. Ladies chose hats and mittens for their children and scarves and hats for themselves. They thanked us over and over and told Alex their stories. I will never, ever forget that week. People who had lost virtually everything they had in the world, were so gracious and kind to us.  Dennis, Mandy and I had visited Alex the year before. I couldn’t believe we were even in the same place.  It was like being in the middle of a disaster movie.  

I started the blog as a way to share the trip with all of the generous crafters who donated the beautiful things they had made to the people of Japan. I wanted them to see the photos and read the story of my trip and where their precious items went. The stories are still there at the beginning of my blog if you get want to look back, but blogger made me take some of the photos down several years ago when they were having issues over photos taking up too much space. Beginning in August 2011 there are photos there of some of the preparations for my trip in September.  Anyway, I hope you find the story of why I started my blog interesting. I had never planned to continue it after I came home, but I was encouraged to do so by the people who had contributed and were reading about the trip. So here I still am, all these years later.  I am so grateful that I am, because I have met all of you here, through this blog.

Whew!  That was a lot of reading wasn’t it? I apologize. I’ll show you two more photos of my decorations before I leave.  I told you I like snowmen didn’t I?

A friend from church stopped by this morning and left this beautiful poinsettia on my doorstep. It was nice to at least get to see her face from the other end of the drive, since we couldn’t be closer.  Now, it really does look like Christmas in here!

I think I’ve droned on enough for one day so I’ll stop here. Stay safe and stay well my friends.

Blessings,
Betsy 

17 comments:

  1. You don’t drone on dear Betsy... but I did find it interesting how you started your blog, I don’t remember when I joined but it’s been a good few years as know was before 2017... not even sure how we found each other! πŸ˜†
    On your followers I’m on way back to second one from beginning so must’ve been before 2014 at least.

    I’m gobsmacked that your card is there already, that’s truly amazing, beating the rush is the way to go. You know cards to my niece in Whistler north of you takes 9 weeks, so bad! I reckon yours only went ten days ago! You’ll be able to enjoy it for all this time, that’s wonderful! God is good. Your snowmen are great, I enjoy them and how wonderfully kind is that friend. A beautiful poinsettia!

    Thanks for sharing, and God bless, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}


    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a story Betsy!! When I have time, I am going to go back and read the beginning of your blogging. So glad you found out the pattern is from Cindy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of how you started your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like many others I am sure, I am thankful that you are still here blogging and value your friendship immensely. Love the poinsettia, a beautiful gift. I haven't started on our decor yet but I am keeping busy with some preparations. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing project to provide for those victims! I am just in awe of all you guys accomplished!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story behind the origin of your blog. I need to go back and read your early posts. The poinsettia does add just the right touch of Christmas color. Have a great day, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew God had given you a heart of gold, but after reading through all of your posts for 2011 -- WOW! What an amazing and perfect project you came up with for those folks who suffered through that time. And all the wonderful knitters and crocheters who joined in on it! We were still living in Newton (Kansas) at the time... I remember I was still up late that night (here) when the earthquake/tsunami happened (there) and seeing the first videos people were putting online. Such heartbreak and devastation. Do you still have any of the original photos of everything you and others made? Sure would be interesting to see all of that work. *hint hint* And, dear Betsy, you have our permission to drone on alllllllll you want lol. I know everyone who visits you loves to read about your latest happenings -- or even the ones way back when! God bless your beautiful and loving heart, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your story about how/why you started your blog. Without your blog we may not have ever met in person. I am thankful you helped people in Japan and was able to go there and help Alex take the items to people. I remember that horrible happening years ago. Made me sad! I like snow man as well and I am thinking about getting a Christmas cactus, which is on sale and Bauman farms. Need to figure out where to put it! For some reason poinsettias and me don't match as it usually croaks. I don't have enough light in area and too much water in it I guess. Have a good rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only started reading your blog a few months ago after I lost my husband of 49 plus years. I didn’t know any of these things and so enjoyed being brought to date. I understand so much more about your life and family now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the story of your blog name! And I am humbled by the project you and others took on to make so many hats, scarves, and mittens - may God richly bless you for your loving heart and busy hands! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful project! You rock!! That is a perfect reason why to start a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading all about how your blog started and why you call it what you do. That is amazing to me, that your surname is Queen and your grandmother's maiden surname was King. I'm astonished at the coincidences I encounter in life. I'm so glad you kept on blogging and I hope you will for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so enjoyed learning about your 'beginnings' at blogging and the beautiful story of giving that started it all! (no apology needed-we all know it was one of us who posted it, right?! lol) I think it is so funny that you have such a royal history!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing more about the Simple Life of a Queen, dear Betsy. I enjoyed learning more details and am so grateful for our friendship πŸ’œπŸ€—πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! Love your Christmas decor, Betsy. Thanks for sharing it with us. Even I've been decorating for Christmas lately which just goes to show what a wild year 2020 has been. Many years I don't decorate at all and now I've got stuff up before Thanksgiving! :) Thanks again for sharing peeks of your cozy place! Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, WOW! What a neat and interesting story! I never knew any of that, and I am so thankful you shared it with us. I don't know how I found your blog or when you and I connected, but I am SO eternally grateful that we did. You are a precious friend.

    ReplyDelete