Tuesday, November 17, 2020

November Challenge Day 16

It’s the 16th and today I’m supposed to tell you about my proudest moment. Goodness, that’s a hard one. I am proud of the people our children all turned out to be.  I am proud of the fact that Dennis and I have done everything on our own, with help from the Lord, and taught our children the value of hard work and honesty.

But, probably my proudest moment was when Dennis graduated from college. We were so poor. He was discharged from the Air Force in August. We were married in September and he started back to school that same month. He worked full-time while going to school 3-4 nights a week. It took four years to earn his two year Associates degree and another three to earn his Bachelors degree. He never missed a semester of school, but went constantly for those seven years, working the entire time. During that time period, both Mandy and Jamie were born. There were no computers back then, so after he got home from school about 9:30 at night, I would sit up late into the night and type his papers for him so he could study for the next day and get some sleep before going to work at six the next morning. Do you all remember typewriters?  None of his professors allowed white-out to be used. Inevitably, I would be near the end of the page and would make a mistake and have to start all over again. I almost felt as though I earned that degree along with him. We made a lot of sacrifices during those days and had next to nothing, but we had each other and a dream.

Here is more Christmas to show you. I have the nativity scene set up on the dresser in the bedroom. It was the only place I could be sure it wouldn’t get bumped. Most of you recognize it from past years blogs don’t you? I made this the first year we were married, 42 years ago. It has survived 12 years of an in-home daycare with children playing with the pieces and four moves. So far, nothing has been broken.

The boot toppers seem to be a success. It poured most of the day today and I wore these while walking Chloe. They stayed in place just fine. So much more comfortable than without them.
I started a sock this afternoon. This picture is not showing the true color at all. It is Knit Picks stroll yarn in the Manatee colorway. This is the yarn that I unraveled from the shawl last week. I am using Vera’s pattern, who has “The Threaded Lane” blog over on my side bar. Thanks Vera!  I love this pattern.

I got my grocery order from Walmart this morning. Those shelves must be really empty inside! They substituted eight different things. And they were out of several more on my list.  What were they out of?   Chicken broth, ham, ground beef, pork chops, coffee, refried beans, con queso dip and sausage gravy packets, to name a few.  It is so frustrating. I had my menu plan all made up for the next 2 1/2 weeks and now I have to change it. As frustrating as grocery pick up is, I have no desire to go inside any stores right now to shop on my own. We will eat what we have and be happy to have it.

It looks as if more and more states are in lockdown. I saw a news article where one poor woman had lost both of her parents, her aunt and uncle and two cousins to COVID. I felt so bad for her. You could feel her pain and her sadness as she spoke. I pray for all of you every day to stay safe, healthy,

Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

18 comments:

  1. Hey Betsy,, hope you all are staying snug during this cold weather...
    Luv your boot toppers.. I was gifted a pair last year but hadn't used them,, but most likely will this Winter..
    Stay warm and sat healthy...
    <>< Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow six dear ones gone Betsy out of one family, how sad, may the Lord bless and comfort all who are grieving over there and may they draw closer to Him through their grief and see how much He loves them through it all. So sad.
    Clever work on your boot toppers too what a blessing they work. Sorry you’re missing foods but better than none at all. My dad did his double degree by correspondence, he worked late into every night but had no one to type it out for him. Handwriting only. We were very poor in those days too, and mum had four kids to run after too and were close together. Dad taught during the day as a maths teacher.
    Well done both you in that achievement.
    So glad have worked out how to comment on your blog ... I did have to change a setting which am not happy to fix it, about but will just clean history regularly.
    Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too, especially in these unusual times! Praying you’re all kept well too!
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x 😊

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful nativity! I am in my 16th year of home daycare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sock looks so pretty, but I confess I don't know the pattern - lol. And I love your rain boots. They are so fun!! The boot toppers look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, your and Dennis' story reflects Randy's and mine in so many ways, except the timing of our children. It is no wonder that we love to share and receive messages from each other.
    HUGS and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your boot toppers are cute. I'm glad that they make your walks with Chloe more comfortable. I love your nativity. We have had ours since we were first married too. It is an inexpensive one and I've thought of getting another, prettier one but this one has special meaning so it stays. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The virus news is so awful. I know our local hospitals are full, especially ICUs. Nurses are contracting it now too. It is scary. I heard that our stores were empty due to the possiblity of further shutdowns in our state. I did venture to Aldi yesterday with my mask and sanitizer. (we have mandatory mask now). The store was fully stocked. The only things I did not get were pepper and quart storage bags because I was too busy looking at things since I haven't been in a store for so long and forgot to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a precious memory about you and your husband. I remember typing papers. That was the hardest part for me. I just couldn't type without mistakes, and I'd have to start over, too.

    Praying for all fighting Covid. This has been a hard year for many, and a difficult year for all.

    But God....
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of manual typewriters - thanks for the memory jog. In the days before computers, I typed lessons and worksheets on a manual and later on an electric typewriter. Mimeographs made it difficult to correct errors. I always ended up with purple fingers and purple smudges on my clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recall re typing too, I was no fun! I was never a good typist. Yeah for Dennis finishing school...you did what you had to do together!
    I use a local meat market for bacon and hamburger...most likely pork chops too after last weeks substitution.
    There is never any rhyme or reason to what we get or don't get anymore. Every week is an adventure in groceries:( Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know you did in-home daycare for years. So did I. Counting my own kids, grands, and other people's little ones I had preschoolers for 35 continuous years. I was fortunate to be able to take care of all 5 grands until they went off to school.
    Your little nativity has survived well. I hope to put mine up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved reading of the respect and love for your husband's college degree (and your support the whole time!). I will tell you--the pattern is from me! lol I just finished making the pair tonight! The Nativity set is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness Betsy. Those boot toppers are the bees knees! I love your proud moment. I think all of those who dare to blog , are to be proud of themselves. You never know when you , with your blog, will help someones day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I purchase all my meat at a couple local meat markets. My favorite one I call my order in the day before and I go thru the drive thru to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart goes out to the young woman who has lost so many of her family to Covid, may the Lord bless and comfort her and all those who are suffering. I too learnt to type on a manual typewriter whilst in the military. Love the boot toppers, I made myself some a couple of years ago, they certainly stop the discomfort. Your nativity is a delight and must bring you so much pleasure and lots of memories too. So sorry to read you are having trouble with your shopping, there seems to be so many shortages. You remain in my prayers dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have just started to follow your blog and am inspired by your positivity and your constant busy-ness with knitting (something I have never been good at). Your walk alongside your husband as he finished his degrees is a real testimony. Thank you for sharing that as we all need to remember what is truly important in life.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you boot toppers are helping the boots be more comfortable for you, and I admire the beautiful sock you started knitting as well. I also admire your wonderful work ethic and loving servant's heart in your faith walk. Thanks for posting, dear Betsy💜🤗🙏

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, it was so much fun reading about your early married life! I think you should write a book. It would be so interesting. The covid numbers are rising here, too, and they are talking about locking down again. Oh, we just have to lean hard on Jesus through these awful trying times. May He hold you close and keep you and Dennis and your loved ones safe and healthy continually.

    ReplyDelete