Monday, November 23, 2020

November Challenge Day 22

Today the challenge is to write about our dream job. My dream job is the one I’m living right now. The thing I have most wanted to be long as I can remember, is a wife and a mom. The people that mean the most to me in the world are those that I call my family. I have been a wife for over 42 years to the most perfect man in the world. I am not exaggerating.  Most of you know that we have three wonderful children Mandy, Jamie, and Alex. They have in turn, given us three more children. Mandy‘s husband Brad, Jamie‘s wife Crystal, and Alex’s soon to be wife, Tara. We also have the three smartest, cutest, and most creative grandchildren ever born. 😍 Kyleigh, Caleb, and Piper.

As I was growing up, the thing I’m most wanted to be was a nurse, and in fact received a full scholarship that paid room, board, books and tuition to Iowa State for nursing school. But, I got married instead and I have never regretted it. I had planned to go back to nursing school when our kids were done with college, but having had a stroke that affected my memory when I was 37, it wasn’t meant to be. There is a lot of memorization to being a nurse you know!  Mandy is living that dream instead!

Some of the jobs I have had in my life are waitress, shipping clerk, nursing assistant, daycare provider, secretary, administrative assistant, bookkeeper/office manager.

I worked full-time from when I was 14 years old until I was 51. All three kids were out of college and our house was paid off and we were debt-free when I quit working. Dennis had been trying to get me to stay home for a few years, as I was in a job that wasn’t the best atmosphere. However, since we taught Dave Ramsey‘s debt-free living class, I thought I better put “my money where my mouth was,” and I stayed there until we were completely debt-free.  I absolutely love being at home now.

I’ve also done quite a bit of volunteer work and I am a trained CASA for the state of Washington. A CASA is a volunteer representative for a child in the foster system and is their liaison with the courts.  I haven’t been active with that recently, because quite honestly, I grew fed up with the court system and what some of those dear children go through.

I have done some knitting today on the mini-stockings for my advent calendar. I have 11 stockings done and another one on the needles. Only 13 1/2 stockings yet to do!

Don’t you just love that sweet knitting bag? My friend Kris who used to blog but doesn’t any longer, made it for me several years ago. It has camping trailers and trucks on it, with snowman and Christmas trees too. It couldn’t be more perfect for me.πŸŽ„☃️

It’s been a very quiet Sunday. I haven’t even left the RV. Dennis took Chloe for all of her walks and I have just stayed inside. We attended two different online church services, which we enjoyed very much and we learned a lot from both of the pastors.

Wishing you a lovely Monday and I hope you are all safe and healthy.

Blessings and love, 
Betsy

16 comments:

  1. Encouraging! Thank you. πŸ’™

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guardian Ad Litum has to be the hardest volunteer job in the world. It is heart breaking what some children go through and how the court system fails them in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little stockings are darling! And that's a very cute bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little socks! The great thing about knitting your own Advent thing is that you don't have to finish it before 12/1. As long as you stay ahead of the date, you're good to go. :)
    As for my dream job, it's sitting on the screened in porch of my river front house, knitting and watching the grandkids swim while the maid cleans, cook cooks and the gardener gardens. The only problem with my dream job is that it doesn't pay much and is definitely not Dave Ramsey approved. LOL
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The socks are darling! I need to get my advent wreath out of storage. I was debt-free when I retired, and it was a blessing to have that burden lifted. Now, I can enjoy my retirement without worry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those little socks are a delight, the eclectic mix of colours a joy. Looking forward to seeing the end result. Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about your life. It's an interesting story!
    The project bag is so cute and the socks too. What exactly will you put into the 24 different socks?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knowing how hard working you and Dennis are has always been such an encouragement to me to be more productive! I admire you both and am grateful to be influenced by you...and feel breathless as you run circles around me 😊Your little socks are so sweet. How are you going to hang them up or display them for Advent?πŸ’œπŸ€—πŸ™

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to hear about all the things you have done, and the things you're doing now! What cute little stockings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for us loving our main "jobs" of being moms and grandmas! Somehow I knew you would write about that, too! That's awesome that you earned such a great scholarship for nursing school, but I'm sure sorry it didn't work out later because I know you'd have been great at that with your loving and giving heart! But you have still done a LOT of great things, and still do! // Those have to be the cutest little socks I've ever seen! What aneat advent calendar project. I love your knitting bag! Blessings to you, my friend! Stay warm and safe and well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute socks! WE got your Christmas Card in the mail today! Thank you for including us! Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy those socks are adorable and I love the bag . Thank you for the lovely Christmas Card. Our first!.
    Upon reading the prayer, I ve decided it is exactly what I need as I head to bed

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know you would have made a great nurse but sounds like you made the right decision for you. Your last 4 jobs listed are some of what I've done, too, in addition to teaching. I started babysitting and cleaning houses at the age of 12. Stayed home about 4-1/2 years when I had the boys and then was back at work again until 5 years ago when I quit the toxic job I was at. Some days I grapple with being at home. Guess I thought I'd always be doing some sort of outside work. I can imagine your frustration with the foster system. The courts definitely need a major overhaul because justice is definitely not served to so many. Love your little knitted stockings. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being a full-time wife and mother is my dream job, too, and I thank the dear Lord every day to be able to live out this dream. We are so abundantly blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this earlier in the day but forgot to comment. I’ve not been great today. Bit over not feeling great. Think it’s my sleep that’s the problem l have not done much mailing of cards need to get my act together again.
    Love your wee socks soooo cute.

    From when I saw my kindergarten teacher I wanted to be a teacher... and I was. You’re very blessed to have your own family. The Lord works differently in us all, and makes us the way we are.

    “In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” And so I do.

    Lovely desky share sorry I’m late... again... 😁

    Thanks for sharing, and God bless, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely socks--lovlier knitter. Thank you for the encouraging post again today-I mean that!

    ReplyDelete