Sunday, November 15, 2020

November Challenge Day 15

Today’s challenge is to put a photo of your handwriting on your blog. I don’t put my handwriting online and so I think I’m going to skip this one today. But I do have a few other things to share with you.

We had a cold but sunny day today with lots and lots of wind. Dennis and I took Chloe for a walk but not as long as usual because it was just plain cold with that north wind blowing in our faces. Most of the day was spent inside the RV, although Dennis did grill us some hamburgers this afternoon.

We watched the services at the church we were married in and also Mandy‘s church this morning. This afternoon we caught up with some of our favorite YouTube videos. Together we enjoy watching several full-time RVing families. During the week I tend to watch knitting and crochet videos while I’m working on my projects.

I finished my boot toppers. Miss Merry asked in the comments for a picture of them, so here you go.

They aren’t  anything fancy. The tops of these rain boots are very stiff and thick vinyl. They really hurt my legs when I walk with them on, especially if it’s cold, so I just knitted these boot toppers.

I used some leftover worsted weight acrylic yarn and size 7 needles. I cast on 62 stitches and did Knit 1, Purl 1 for 8 inches before casting off. I just folded them in half over the top of the boot. Time will tell whether they will stay in place or work their way off as I walk. I’ll keep you posted. I’m sure you’re all waiting with bated breath! Ha!
I also knitted three more pair of mittens this weekend so I have made my quota of 8 pair for the month of November.

I have another picture of Christmas decorations. These are on the hutch in the kitchen. A little angel and the snowman. You can see the container of Chloe‘s milk bones and Dennis loves sweet tarts, so I usually try to keep some here for him. How do you like our temperature control center? We have a four temperature monitoring station receiver.  On the left are the temperatures in descending order, the wet bay, (where the water comes into the RV and the washing machine lines are), outside temperature, under the trailer and inside. It got a lot warmer today than was predicted. But the cold wind made it feel much, much colder. The number on the right is the humidity level. This little station has taken a lot of stress from Dennis’s shoulders as he can see at a glance if our pipes are in danger of freezing.

I hope you all had a quiet and safe weekend. The governors of the three West Coast states, Washington, California and Oregon have decreed that anyone coming into these three states has to quarantine for 14 days. Our governor of Washington also made an announcement today that we are basically going back into lockdown again until the middle of December.  Surprisingly though, they are not closing the schools. Honestly, I believe a lot of the spread is because schools are open everywhere. I have several friends who are teachers and they say it is getting impossible to have enough teachers as many are out sick and testing positive. 

Believe me, I do not know what the answer is, but it’s frustrating to know that I definitely will not get to see our son and grandchildren at Christmas this year. I haven’t seen them since last Thanksgiving.  I know I’m not alone in missing family and I’m not really complaining, but the disappointment still sets in once in a while. I know this is what has to be done to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and I’m more than willing to do my part.

Take care and stay safe and well.

Blessings and hugs,
Betsy


13 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be keen on putting my handwriting on line either. So sorry to read about your restrictions. I so hope that this will help to reduce the numbers. Our youngest daughter is a teacher and there are so many off in her school either isolating or with the virus. I do worry for her safety. You have done so well with the mittens, such a lovely thing to do for the children. Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This virus sure has brought about much change!

    I'm so thankful that I'm one of God's children!

    It's nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute boot toppers, but those boots really steal the show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s so difficult isn’t it, not seeing our loved ones. I haven’t seen my son or grandchildren for 3 months when we were allowed to meet in their local park with no physical contact, now we’re not permitted to do that even though they can still go to school! Not hugging and kissing those precious children feels unnatural but we have to do what we can to try and keep this awful disease contained. I like your boot toppers, I have a similar problem with my walking boots and was thinking of trying something similar, you’ve encouraged me to get on with it. Am enjoying your daily posts Betsy. I hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the boot toppers! That is a pretty slick idea. I have that one pair of boots that does the same thing. My husband would go crazy for the temperature monitor device. We don't have the pipe freezing worry anymore, but he is very into anything weather related and would find places to put the sensors I am sure.

    My oldest daughter is director of student services in a college nursing program. 35% of students are positive following an illegal Halloween party so they have just had to go virtual. My youngest daughter is a 5th grade teacher. Her school system has 34 teachers quarantined (her included)due to covid or exposure and an unreleased number of students. Her classroom is missing 6. Yet they are not closing. My daughter in law is quarantined because my police officer son has covid. They had to pull one out of kindergarten and one out of preschool. I just wish they would close the schools until they can come up with a safe plan to have them meet in person. I am bitter that no one has working on this for 8 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boot topper makes the sloggers look much more snug and comfy. I have that same type of plastic shoe and wow, that plastic DOES NOT GIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your boots are fun! I love the colors. Wyoming’s Governor said some strict restrictions will be issued this week. He was frustrated and angry at last week’s press conference that people are still not taking COVID seriously. The hospitals around the state are packed with patients and the positive cases are climbing daily. I can only control my own actions, so I cancelled my plans for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how you feel... we were supposed to go to spend Thanksgiving with our daughter in Virginia and then her family was coming here for Christmas. None of that is happening now. We are staying put, not even going to visit our sons who live locally. We haven't spent Thanksgiving alone since the first year we were married in 1973. It's going to be strange for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your boots are cute and the toppers are lovely and also practical.
    I'm sorry you won't be able to see your son and his family this holiday season. It's so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool boot covers! I like your temperature station we had a similar one for the greenhouses they had frost alarms and only went off once...we were lucky it was a malfunction of the thermostat.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the boot toppers and that you designed them yourself. Three more wonderful mittens, too. I enjoyed your decorating too.. I am looking forward to getting my Christmas stuff out.. I just ordered a slimmer tree as I have my inherited etagere there now and the big fluffy one probably won't fit. I hope I like it. I will send the book as soon as I find a manila envelope to fit it. We've done some more stocking up now that we are going to be in self-exile again. We just have a bubble of Travis' family, thank goodness. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The boot toppers are both functional and pretty! Enjoy your 'heat wave'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for three more completed pairs of mittens that will bless some children, dear Betsy. I am sorry for the disappointment of not gathering with your family and grateful that His grace is sufficient for us. 💜🤗🙏

    ReplyDelete