Wednesday, December 9, 2020

December 9th

Howdy-hi everyone!  My goodness it’s a dismal day outside today. Completely opposite from yesterday. We had what they call a wintry mix off and on all night long, but when I woke up it was 34°F so at least nothing was freezing to the road. Just very messy. It hasn’t warmed up at all today and it’s dark and gloomy too. I’ve had all of the lights on and candles lit since I woke up this morning. Our sunsets now are about 3:50 in the afternoon.  It doesn’t come up until 7:30 in the morning. By the winter solstice we will have well less than eight hours of daylight. But the glorious summers make up for it, when the sun comes up at 4 in the morning and is out until almost 10 at night!  Believe me, I’m not really complaining, some some days we just don’t get much light this far north at this time of year.  Some of you in Canada have even shorter days, so please forgive me if it seems like I’m whining.

My sock today held some more surprises. Candy and a charging cord for both my iPhone and iPad. Very nice!

I did yesterday and today’s color on the charity blanket. The blue stitch is called the floret stitch. The yellow is plain single crochet.  The purple was for today and it is the double crochet cluster with a single crochet in between each cluster. I’m really enjoying this blanket as it’s giving me a break from the sweater I’m working on. I can’t show it to you because it’s a surprise for the recipient. 🤫
 
This is the sticker that was in my day 1 mini-stocking. I wasn’t sure if it would stick to the wallpaper wall in the bathroom here in the RV, but it did. I really like it! It’s on the wall next to the sink and the shower is directly to the left of this.  It is removable and will just peel off.

I had a few readers who are newer to my blog ask me about our kids. So I thought I would explain our family a little bit to you all.  Our oldest is Mandy and she is married to Brad and they have a eight-year-old daughter named Piper. Mandy is a nurse and she has been very busy over the past year as you can imagine. Brad is in management  and I’m not sure exactly what his job entails, but it involves drilling tunnels under rivers!  Our middle child is Jamie and he is married to Crystal and they have two children, Kyleigh and Caleb. They are teenagers and Kyleigh is driving. Oh my, I can’t believe it. Jamie works for a silicon valley company while living in Montana. Don’t even ask me what he does. It involves computers! Crystal works for the post office.  Our youngest is Alex and he moved to Japan permanently when he was 19 and has his own company there.  He just turned 32. He is engaged to be married to a lovely young lady named Tara.

Dennis’s job brought us from Omaha, Nebraska to Spokane, Washington 27 years ago this month. We never thought we would leave our families and move halfway across the country. We will hopefully be retiring before too long and moving back to be near our family.  As much as we love the inland Northwest, family means even more. We knew it before, but this past year has cemented it even more into our hearts and minds. Well, that’s us in a nutshell!

I hope you’re all hanging in there. From the comments on yesterday’s blog it’s pretty apparent that many of us feel the same way. Some days are good and some days this isolation really gets to us all. I’m sure glad we have each other to talk to and we know we’re not alone. If any of you ever need to just talk, please reach out to me. I would be happy to give you my phone number so we could visit. Sometimes you just need to hear another voice don’t you? 

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

18 comments:

  1. Loved hearing about your family, Betsy! I didn't know your son had been in Japan that long--somehow thought it had only been 3 or 4 years. heh. :) What a lovely large family! You are blessed, my friend. Have a wonderful Thursday filled with much peace and warmth. Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Betsy,
    I am so sorry very long way behind in commenting I’ve been so busy, cos it’s summer and Christmas things are pretty full on, plus have visitors next week, God willing, so will be more absent yet again.
    We are also expecting from tonight a big rain, a low depression is forming so rain has just started and is supposed to be forecast every single day for a week, some days only an inch, some days there are four inches forecast, well all I can at least it’s needed it’s been very dry so mostly will go in. I’m not sure my friend understands what our wet can be like.. but it’s okay with me, if it’s okay with her.

    Your rug is very, very pretty I’ve been enjoying watching it grow and also what you get in your stockings. What clever kind friend you have to chose all those imaginative things to put in them!
    Your photo of Alex must have made your mumma’s heart swell with pride, handsome fella, I think he takes after Dennis. I’m wondering how cold it will get in the RV for you??
    Hope it’s not too dark and quite toasty.
    I don’t think I’d like your winters at all. Even with pretty hoar frost.

    Well that’s a weeks worth of commenting in one night. I didn’t blog this week cos I didn’t have time. Today was visiting day, I called on lots of people and chatted for the annual catch up. It’s such a blessing to bless others I pray with lots of them too before I leave.
    Thanks for sharing, and God bless, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to be surviving the gray dismal days the best. If I can lose myself in a project I feel better. It's these warm sunny days that are hard. Everything seems normal and then you remember it isn't. It's like grief. It all hits you in waves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the blanket is coming along. I think if I did different stitches like that, I'd have a very wonky blanket because my tension is all over the place. :) It starts getting dark here around 5 p.m. which is not as early as you but definitely way too early for me. The nights sure do seem long and I'd rather have lots of natural light. I've been in Kuwait 26 years and believe me -- never, ever did I expect that to be the case. :/ Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its dismal here today too but I am keeping busy so all is well. This pandemic has really highlighted family, my heart goes out to all those who are truly alone. Love the blanket with its eclectic colours and stitches. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend found some great treasures for your stockings!
    We've got about half an hour more daylight than you right now, so though Im in Canada, I must be a touch further south.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love to see what is in your little stockings everyday. What a fun activity and thank you to your friend for her assistance. I did see a meme today that said "I don't have an Advent calendar so everyday I just open a cupboard door and eat everything inside". I thought that was hilarious during this time when we are all sitting home munching. Your stockings are such a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I'm a "long-time" reader, I enjoyed the family rundown. I can't believe Piper is already 9. I know you'll love being back where you can see her more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gray clouds you had yesterday have arrived here today and I’m sure they will bring snow either today or tomorrow. Your blanket project is progressing nicely. I like the stitches and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its quite chilly this morning. We to be having rain for a few days. I enjoyed seeing a bird on my suet feeder that had red tail feathers. Most likely red shafted flicker as I've seen them previously but not seen tail feathers. I've started looking for work since Wednesday. I'm not wanting to be into retail for now as I don't want to be at register nor a few other reasons. Continue knitting your blanket but don't get too cozy with it and fall asleep! 😴 😉😀have a day my friend. ×------× Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stripy blanket is very pretty! I admire folks who can crochet. I've tried so many times but I just can't get the count right. Everything ends up lopsided.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the family story even though I know it pretty well. I'm in a very grumpy mood right now, no coffee or breakfast and will have to drink a gallon of nasty stuff soon so I'm feeling very peckish. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your stitches! Crochets keeps me sane:) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a fine and fun way to summarize you family. It all makes sense now.Visits with my blog pals are always almost always, cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are such a blessing! Your blog is such a treat during all this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My but the charity blanket is getting lovelier every day. I love the way the purple looks especially next to the yellow. Are you really going to be able to give this treasure away once it's finished?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is such fun to see the sweet and practical contents of your Advent socks and I'm glad to see the sticker is working 😃 I admire the different stitches you are using on your current blanket. Yesterday I started a new little blanket with a foundation row of single crochet and the following rows in double crochet. The Scripture you shared reminds me how grateful I am that the Lord gave us His Word to hope in!💜🌟🙏

    ReplyDelete
  18. You mean so much to all of us Betsy! When and where the Lord's moves you, we know you will still be there for us! Great job on the blanket-what fun to learn so many stitches!

    ReplyDelete