Monday, January 31, 2022

Exciting News!

Happy Monday morning to you all my friends. We have got the most gorgeous sunshiny day and it’s supposed to be 59°F today. The temperatures are supposed to plummet to below zero later this week but I’m determined to enjoy the warmth and the sunshine today. Zoey and I will soon be going out to take a walk around the neighborhood.

Thank you so much for your prayers for my friends who are sick. To answer a few questions, Steve is doing much, much better. He’s still in the hospital and after being intubated three times(!), he will be going to a long-term care facility for rehabilitation. He is still requiring oxygen most of the time. For those of you that don’t remember, Steve is in his early 40s and has had Covid and been in the hospital for over two months!

My friend Ellen who also has Covid and is in the hospital in Spokane, had a procedure to remove numerous blood clots from her lungs. She also has Covid pneumonia. I talked to her last night and she’s hopeful that she may get to leave in 5 to 7 days. Ellen‘s brother was our former pastor in Spokane. He passed away in December, but it was from complications of diabetes and kidney failure. There seem to be a little bit of confusion on whether he had Covid or not from some questions.

But, my best friend Jenny in Spokane now has Covid. She tested last Tuesday when she first started feeling sick and it was negative. I made her retest on Saturday and it was positive. She sounds horrible and has a terrible chest cough. Please add her to your prayers.

Whew! That’s a lot isn’t it? And on the title of this blog post you’ll think, “what in the world is wrong with this girl’s brain that she says this is all exciting news?” Well, get prepared for a lot of photos because I have something to share with you. Before we even went to look at trailers on Saturday, we had narrowed it down to three finalists. We were hoping we could find one of them. We didn’t want to be traipsing in and out of trailers that other people had been in, or spend much time at the dealership because of the dreaded Covid. We have been researching and watching videos since we sold our big trailer last summer. We set that money aside and didn’t touch it because our dream was to replace it with a smaller one that we could travel in. Guess what? We did it! Saturday we signed the papers for a 2022 Alta East West. It’s 26 feet long. The only thing it doesn’t have that we wanted was a fireplace. They are so convenient to heat the trailer without using propane on chilly nights. However, it is definitely something we can live without, it was just a wish. Without further ado, here are some photos of the inside.

I love how light and bright the kitchen is. The lighter cabinets make a huge difference in the feel of the trailer. There is not a speck of carpeting in this camper which I love. No more hauling a vacuum cleaner around with us. That little drawer on the very bottom of the cabinet on the left is called a pet feeder. Inside it is an insert with a place to put your dogs food and water. I don’t think we’ll be using it for that because I could see my self kicking it every time I walked by! The refrigerator is a 12 V refrigerator. That means that it runs the entire time you’re driving down the road and you don’t have to worry about your food spoiling. They used to always just be electric or propane but you were supposed to shut the propane off as you drove and obviously you couldn’t have it plugged in while driving so if you were going very long distance your food was in danger of spoiling. It looks like the same size as normal trailer refrigerators but it’s actually 2 cubic feet bigger, because they don’t need as many mechanisms in them for the 12 V.

The square thing above the television on the roof is the air conditioner. This trailer is also ductless so there are no AC or furnace ducts in the flooring to get stuff dropped into them. They’re all integrated into the walls and ceilings. Those are those little black circles you see on the cabinets. Our big trailer was like this and I just loved it.

Here is the bedroom. These trailers come standard with king size beds but we are having them switch it to a queen size mattress. We don’t need a king size bed and a smaller mattress will give us more room to walk around, plus all of our bedding is queen size. I like the little drawers on both side of the bed to keep small things like Chapstick in. They are actually good size drawers that we may actually use for things like underwear, etc. Behind those drawers you can barely see a little cut out. There’s one on both sides you can put water, books or whatever you want back in there. It’s like a little nightstand. Apparently, they actually designed it to hold a CPAP machine.

Here Dennis had lifted the bed up to look at the storage options underneath. We had never seen this before in a trailer, but it sure is handy. There are two nice size drawers with the tray on top and the open space is perfect for a laundry basket.

The booth will sit six people and will make into a nice size bed for Piper when she goes along with us. Underneath you can see that there are drawers under each bench that are quite large. They will be great for using as a pantry. The sofa that you see makes into a queen size bed but we’re having them exchange that for theater seating which is two recliners. I need to have a recliner for my back and we don’t need to be able to sleep six people in here. We have never had roller shades in any of our trailers before but I’ve always wanted them. They come standard on this trailer. And I like the little light fixture above the booth too.

The bathroom is huge! I actually think it’s the biggest bathroom I’ve ever seen in an RV. This photo shows you the medicine cabinet and vanity. The medicine cabinet has tons of storage inside of it and there’s lots of counter space on the vanity. More than we have at home! I have no idea what I’ll put there!
The shower is nice size too and there’s more storage in those square cubbies behind it. They will be perfect for towels and toilet paper, etc.

Here’s a view of the bathroom from the main room. Both the bathroom and bedroom have sliding wooden doors.

This closet is just inside the front door. I don’t know what it is about this trailer, but it seems so much bigger than 26 feet. It has solid steps not the flimsy trailer steps and with my clumsy body they will be great!

This is the view from the front of the trailer.

Now, one of the reasons I am so excited about this trailer is although we can’t go full-time like we had planned before, we’re hoping to be able to take trips throughout the year for several weeks to a month at a time. As long as I’m here to take mom to her doctors appointments and make sure her meds are taken care of, it should be fine at least for a while. Our plan as it is now is to go to Spokane for 3 to 4 weeks in the spring. Paul and Lori want to meet us in Montana to camp. I really, really want to go back to the Black Hills this year sometime. We used to go every year when we lived in Omaha but I’ve only been there once in the last 20 years. I love the Black Hills best of all the places I’ve ever been.

My friends, I feel so blessed that we were able to find this trailer. We had no intention of buying a new trailer. We have been looking and looking and looking and looking at used trailers for the last eight months. There just is nothing small that isn’t completely beat up that we could find. However, they gave us such a good deal on this trailer and are willing to do all of the things that we asked them to do. The trailer already has solar on the roof so we can do what is called Boondocking. That is where you camp with no hook ups. No water, electricity or sewer. A lot of people do that on BLM land or national forest land. We are really looking forward to doing some of that. The solar will run our lights and refrigerator and recharge during the day with the sunshine.

Gosh! Have a bored you all enough? I never really thought when we sold our other two trailers that even though we set all of the money aside and didn’t touch it, that we would ever be able to get another trailer just because of our life circumstances right now. I kind of gave up on the dream. But Dennis is determined to make this work. It was our dream to travel full-time during retirement. And even though that won’t be possible now, he says we should be able to get out for some shorter trips. I feel so blessed. I know I said that before, but it’s true. Our God is amazing. This is the dream we’ve worked and worked for for years. I sure hope we get to do some of it and nothing comes up to surprise us.

Now for what you probably really came here for. I’ll show you what little crafting I was able to finish this weekend.

I finished another baby sweater except for the buttons. The previous one I made was 0 to 3 months and this one is 6 to 9 months. Can you see the mistake I made by the left button band? It’s about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. I purled when I should have knitted. One row. I’m so irritated with myself. I just noticed it about an hour ago and I’m debating whether to rip the whole thing back to that point to fix it. I probably will because I’m not going to be able to stand knowing that mistake is there.

On the needles is a hat to match. I have never knitted a hat that had to be seamed when finished. I sure hope it looks OK. I’m ready to begin the crown decreases now.

I also started another pair of socks. I’m still on the cuff and haven’t decided if I want to knit a pattern or make them plain vanilla like the last ones. The yarn is fairly “busy” so I’m leaning toward the plain vanilla. What do you all think?

Whew! This was a long long post wasn’t it? I’m sorry for doing this to you on a Monday morning, but I was excited to share with you. I sure hope you don’t all think we’re spoiled and selfish. We have worked for this our entire lives. As I said, our dream has always been to travel around this beautiful country of ours when we retired. One of the main reasons is that we want to be able to travel is so I can meet some of you. Can you just imagine actually being able to see each other face-to-face and share a hug? After Covid is over of course. We were so careful that we would not have to go into debt to buy a trailer. I sure hope we are able to fulfill these dreams and do some traveling so I can meet you.

Take care of yourselves and please stay warm. I’m praying for all of you on the East Coast too just seem to be getting slammed by the winter weather this year

Blessings and love, 
Betsy

27 comments:

  1. I am just thrilled for you and Dennis! You worked hard and should have parts of your retirement dreams come true!! Oh my on the sweater, I know how much work went into it, is there anyway to fix those stitches without frogging?? I love your trailer, it is so pretty and perfect for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited for you! I would love to have a trailer like that even if it just sat in the driveway and I could go sit in it for while. My mom had a trailer at the beach that was just two blocks from her house but she LOVED her trailer. It was her to place to go to get away from it all.
    I am so sorry to hear of all your friend's struggles with Covid. It's all still so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you! That is a beautiful trailer and I know you will enjoy it so much! Praying for your friends who have Covid. We are just getting over it, but we had a very mild case and we are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your new trailer and a dream fulfilled. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one very fancy trailer! I see some exploring in your future. Sorry to hear about your friends with COVID. Spokane seems like a scary place right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the trailer! Im so glad you were able to find something to suit before the season started!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God for the answer to so many prayers. It is wonderful to know that Steve and Ellen are doing better. Praying for your friend to be healed as well. That is so awesome that you have such a lovely trailer. God is so awesome. Wishing you a day full of blessings sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, should I put in my advertisement for Southeastern Pennsylvania? We have lovely mountains not too far away. Valley Forge is a must see. Walk where George Washington walked. Get a new perspective on just how rugged it must have been that winter.

    Come see the ocean . . . just a couple of hours away in central and northern New Jersey. See seals ..........oh, I guess you've probably seen seals. See sand .......soft sand, no rocks!

    Come for a meal. I cook real good when company comes. LOL

    But, seriously . . . enjoy your new home away from home. It is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Betsy I am so happy for Dennis and you. Congratulations on the new trailer. I really hope all works out for you two to go traveling. Never do I think your selfish or spoiled, you have such a heart for others. Will keep your friends in prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOS FELICITO HERMANA, QUE DISFRUTEN MUCHO SU NUEVO TRAILER, ES BELLISIMO. QUE EL SEÑOR LOS SIGA GUARDANDO DE TODO MAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CONGRATULATE YOU SISTER, ENJOY YOUR NEW TRAILER, IT IS BEAUTIFUL. MAY THE LORD CONTINUE TO KEEP YOU FROM ALL EVIL.

      Delete
  11. Oh, how wonderful for you both!!! it is going to get a lot of use come Summer!
    The sweater set is so sweeet-good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy, I am in love with your travel trailer! It is so pretty and new. I understand how you feel about spoiling yourselves. We are the same way. We scrimped and saved and budgeted our whole lives. And our goal is always debt free. Once our house was paid for, it was easier to have more. We both worked our whole lives and this year (not that we planned it that way) I bought a new car and my husband bought a new truck. And not the usual new to us, but new, new. My car first as it was replacing my 11 year old sedan that was starting to have issues and, gasp, a week later his 20 year old truck when it decided it couldn't wait any longer and collapsed. It took some quivering fingers to write those checks, but we intend these vehicles to last us the rest of our lives since we won't be driving back and forth to work, in the trucks case, parking in at a railroad or in bad weather or, well, you know. But just like your brand new camper, you won't have to worry about repairs or things going wrong - you can just hook up and go!!!! I can't wait to hear about all your adventures!!

    Another pair of those fabulous socks and, gosh, sorry about that one little row. But I know how those things can eat at a person.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on finding the perfect trailer for you and Dennis. It seems to have every feature a person could want. We only ever had camperized vans so we never had all that lovely space. Nevertheless we had some great trips!
    I sure hope your friends with Covid will all get over it and be well again.
    (The Black Hills were one of our great trips. We went twice; once with children and then just the two of us. Too bad the second time it rained a LOT).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you and Dennis were able to find a trailer that looks beautiful! A miracle from God for sure. PTL! It's not too cold here. Some rain Sunday after we walked. I had a Greek salad and French baguette for lunch at work. 😋 went to buy a flatbread pizza to go after work. Free! WOW! Manager (store) is so kind. So are other people. Have a good week and happy birthday! I enjoy reading your posts long or short is good 💜Becky

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was so happy to read this post and see the beautiful photos! What a blessing!!
    We are all waiting for this terrible Covid junk to all go away! It’s so sad that some people get terribly sick! We have all had to stay close to the Lord and pray for so many people!
    Hope to meet up one day!! Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun post today, Betsy! Congrats on getting a brand new RV to travel in. We bought a 37 foot Winnebago last year and my husband has been so busy making changes to it....it was used so we've been busy changing some things. We hope to go West in August and then South next winter, God-willing. Hope all your travel plans work out great! And will continue praying for those who are sick. Take good care. Enjoy your temporary warm-up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the trailer! Very beautiful! You're right, it certainly looks a lot larger than 26'. Jerry and I always used to look at the trailers and RVs when we visit the fair... he hasn't been able to get up inot one in recent years, but let's me go ahead and look right quick. They're fun to look at and imagine. We're supposed to get a foot of snow here this week... right on John's surgery day. Ha! And it will be brrrrrrr cold, they say minus 15 and below wind chills. I've been looking at seeds and plants online to warm me up, even if it is only in my mind lol. I saw Aero for a little bit this evening while John and I planned for his surgery and going home afterward on Wednesday... Aero was very happy that you liked his painting and the "chocolate." Have a gloriously happy birthday tomorrow, my dear friend!! 🎂 🎈 🎁 Hugs and love and blessings to you! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hopping over from Diana's blog to wish you a beautiful Happy Birthday. I am keeping Steve and Ellen in prayer.

    P.S. I loveeeeeeeeeee the title of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The trailer is beautiful! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So thankful you found what you were looking for! It is just beautiful in every way!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very, very happy for you both! Love the new trailer and the length is perfect! Our fridge is a 3 way and we use the 12 volt when traveling unless we are running the generator. Solar capability is awesome as well and you will love not having carpet on the floor! Wishing you many days of blessed travels.
    Prayers for the ones you mentioned. Glad there’s been some improvements for 2 of them.
    Love the color vanilla so that sounds like a good choice.
    Wishing you a very blessed birthday 🥳
    Peace
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so happy for you . . . get out and enjoy your retirement :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your new trailer...it is a beauty. If you worked hard and saved it is okay to have dreams fulfilled.
    I am sorry for your friends that are not feeling well....I will keep them in my prayers.
    With the little baby sweater, I understand how that mistake can make you feel. Couldn't you embroider a little flower over that area? Babies grow so fast she won't really be wearing it for all that long. Besides, I am sure she will be so adorable, nobody will be looking at her clothes!!!....they are so wiggly too...nobody will really notice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Betsy! Your new trailer looks and sounds so wonderful. I know you and Dennis will thoroughly enjoy it. As Dee said, come to SE PA - you'd get to meet both of us!! LOL The Black Hills sound wonderful. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Betsy! I'm thankful your friends are doing better, and will continue to pray for your friend in Spokane that the Lord touches her! So very exciting that you have found the perfect RV! I am in amazement at how it has so many wonderful amenities in a 26' space! I really enjoyed your pictorial tour... we love to look at RVs too, and that is our dream someday, to travel. I am so excited for you both! And you KNOW that if you come up this direction, you must get in touch with me so we can meet :) I love all the gorgeous knitted things you make, you are so talented!!

    Blessings and hugs to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my gosh Betsy. i am sooooo thri11ed you have a new camper! We dream of renting one. just to go see A1. yours 1ooks amazing
    wi11 pray for your friends!!! COVID is so nasty. We need to get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete