Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Rainy Days

It’s been a beautiful week...until today.  Yesterday it was in the mid 70s and today it is only 42 outside right now at three in the afternoon with rain and wind.  Such a big change!  I harvested the first batch of rhubarb yesterday and gave it to a couple ladies at church.  I took it over and left it in a bag on Nita‘s deck and they picked it up from there. I know I will have a lot more coming from this little patch. It’s quite prolific.

I have been busy sewing this week. Meredith sent me interfacing and I was able to begin putting the dresses together right away, as I already had them cut out. I finished the fourth dress about half an hour ago and they are now in the washing machine. I use the same pattern all of the time because I like it so much.  They are easy and comfortable.  They don’t look like anything special, but I will take a picture for you for my next post.  I’m not sure, but I think my back did a little better. I still had to take frequent breaks away from the sewing machine which is why it took me two days to make these very simple dresses.

I also finished six pairs of mittens since my last post.

Sweet, sweet Meredith sent me the interfacing for my dresses and also in the package were these three gorgeous skeins of buttercream yarn.

I have to find a very special pattern to make with this. Thank you, thank you Meredith. This was so very sweet of you.  I think these colors are fantastic.

Alex sent me some pictures of a walk he took last week near his home in northern Japan. He lives in Towada.  Isn’t this gorgeous?

Cherry Blossoms in bloom.

So pretty.  I had hoped to be visiting him for the cherry blossoms this spring. Obviously that was not to be the case.

This is the art museum in Towada. Alex does a lot of work with them.



Below is a photo Brad’s brother Bill who is an avid bicyclist.  He takes part in Ragbrai every year, which is a bike ride across Iowa. Piper called him last week and told him that she was riding her bike without training wheels now.  So he rode his bike 16 miles from his house to theirs and took her on a 3 mile bike ride and then rode back home. He is such a great uncle to Piper. He has taken her to the College World Series several times. He is definitely what you would call a doting uncle. And just look at Piper’s outfit. From the helmet to the necklace to the bike bag and pink shoes. She is definitely her own girl and couldn’t wait to tell me about the big bike ride.

I hope you’re all hanging in there. I can’t believe that two months have passed by since we all began this strange odyssey that we’re living in.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

19 comments:

  1. Every little girl needs an uncle to show her the ropes. LOL She is adorable in her outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute mittens. And those pictures from Japan are amazing!
    I look forward to seeing your dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great uncles are the best! What a job you do with the mittens--amazing! Here's to more sunny days for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You finished your dresses!! Good for you. And all the mittens that you're making, you sure are a fast knitter.
    I'm sorry you couldn't go to Japan for cherry blossom time because of this virus. Hopefully next year will work out.
    Piper looks so happy on that photo. Her smile says it all.
    Take care, GM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see what you make with that yarn... is it as soft as it looks? I have a cousin who is an amazing knitter and she would call this "yummy yarn". The photos from Japan are gorgeous, so sad you couldn't be there... maybe next year. Piper is lucky to have such a wonderful uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...those photos are just gorgeous!
    I've almost forgotten there is a world outside these four walls...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cherry blossom photos brought back some wonderful memories - thanks. Bravo for Bill going out of his way to encourage Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow dearest Betsy those spring photos in Japan are truly amazing indeedy! Love them all, must be wonderful to see it day after day as it bursts forth. God’s wonderful creation, His handiwork is truly breath taking at times!
    Love the uncle and Piper pickie, too, my brother is a crazy cyclist too, 16 miles peanuts to them! He does half of le tour in the mountains of Spain and les Alpes as a tour guide when it’s running which not sureit will be this year. And that’s about 50 miles or 60 miles depending on leg they’re riding. They as guides on tour do half the course then watch them cycle past at one stage.
    Well done on dresses and mittens, esp that back bit better, and oh I love that stunning buttercup wool!
    Very kind of Meredith! Love your verse too, great uplifting thought.
    Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too, especially in these uncertain days, but He is Rock to those who trust in Him! Praying you’re all kept well too!
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x 😊

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry about your weather! It is very cold here too and possible snow in the forecast which is just so WRONG! Love the pictures from Alex - what a gorgeous area. And Piper! I can't believe she rode 3 miles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful Cherry Blossom photos! WOW!! Oh my your Piper is so cute! Love that helmet! Good to hear that the sewing went well! :) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Japan looks like a beautiful place to live and Piper is just so cute! I need to get back to sewing. I took a few days off from it so I'm getting wanting to get some projects done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry you were unable to go on your trip to Japan, maybe next year? The cherry blossom was a delight to see, thank you for sharing. A joy to see Miss Piper, what a wonderful Uncle she has. Looking forward to seeing the dresses, you are on fire you are working so quickly. Take care dear friend and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading your post right after lunch. Alex's cherry tree photos are so pretty. There's a lot of dogwood trees blooning in our area! I've not sewn much of anything lately. I need to get a curtain up in dining room soon. Sluggish granny-me!😔 I'm glad Piper has a nice uncle to have fun with! We hope to be with Justin and Erin and grandkids late May for bday celebration. Have a blessed day!💟🌹

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mittens look cheery and warm. the pictures of Japan are peaceful and lovely. That is one wonderful uncle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that photo of Piper; she's getting so grown up. What are you going to make with that pretty yarn? Hope it's as nice on your side of the mts. today as it is here! I love spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Betsy, I am glad your back held up for your sewing and I look forward to seeing them all done. What a generous friend Meredith is! That yarn is aMaYzInG! It would make a neat shawl. That's neat that Piper has such a good uncle. We all need as much love and family that we can get. Bravo on the mittens, too. I was impressed with the artistic photos Alex took.. just beautiful there. We had a gorgeous day here and we planted more of our veggies and some flowers, too. I hope the sun comes your way. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE the colors in the yarn Meredith sent to you! SO pretty. It will be so much fun to see what you make out of it. And looking forward to seeing your new dresses, too. So sweet of Piper's uncle to ride all that distance to be with her and ride with her. Doting uncle, indeed! So nice to visit with you tonight. God bless you, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Piper is blessed by all the loving family she has. SO glad you were able to make your dresses and that I was able to help. Those photos Alex too are incredible. Hugs to you Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why isn't Betsy posting I wondered...today 5/18 my blogroll said you hadn't posted in six days...what? It lied!!! My investigation revealed I had missed your last three posts!!! I so enjoyed seeing your Meredith yarn, new mittens, Alex-fabulous-Japan photos, and Piper and her dear uncle! And AMEN to the parting verse! 🤗💜🙏🧶

    ReplyDelete