Sunday, March 7, 2021

A New Home

Our new home!  

Mom‘s home is the one with the brick on the left and ours is on the right. Nice and close!
Here are just a few photos of the living room and dining room. Everything you see in the pictures I’ll be sharing with you over the next few posts, are the things that the previous owner left for us. Mandy took these photos today. She is over choosing some paint colors and she opened all the windows to get some fresh air inside. As I’ve said before, you are seeing exactly what I have seen of the house. It is all new to me! Having never walked through, it will be an adventure when we arrive.

I have been told that all of the windows in the house are the kind that tilt in so you can clean the outside of the windows from inside of the house. I really like that idea. The blue material leaning against the sofa on the right contains the leaves for the dining room table.

The beautiful hutch that they left!  Can you believe they gave all of this furniture and everything on the walls to us?  They also left a carpet cleaner and vacuum cleaner.

I will share more photos with you over the next few posts. 

I have made some mittens over the past week.

Few more pair!

It has been a week. We closed on the house on Tuesday and I spent a few days arranging utilities and meter readings and all of that fun stuff from a distance. I honestly don’t know what we would do without Mandy. She has been there for us every step of the way. A locksmith changed all of the locks on Thursday.

Mom got her second Moderna shot on Friday morning. I spoke with her that evening and so did Dennis’s brother. She was fine, with just a little sore arm. Dennis tried to call her at his usual time early Saturday morning and she didn’t answer the phone. Very unusual. He waited a few minutes and tried again. Several other family members tried to reach her and she didn’t answer the phone. We were starting to worry because that is so unlike her. He called Mandy who ran to her Grandma’s house just as fast as she could get there, which is about a half hour drive. She couldn’t get in because the locks were changed not long ago and Grandma is always there, so she didn’t need to have a key! She called Dennis and he stayed on the phone with her and told her to call the fire department. Long story short, they couldn’t get in through any windows or doors so they ended up kicking the door down. They found her on the floor where she had been all night. She was not able to walk. Her blood sugar very high and so is her blood pressure. When the EMT had Mandy come in the room he asked mom who she was and she couldn’t say her name.  Needless say, she was taken to the hospital where she remains today. Mandy stayed with her until last night which was wonderful. As a nurse she was able to answer all of their questions and understand everything that the doctors were saying. Mom would have never remembered any of it. Mandy also did most of her care yesterday from what I understand. Only one family member can be there per day. It has to be the same family member each day. Our niece Jessie is there today with her. She still cannot walk alone and her blood sugar is still quite high. She will be there at least another day or two. She is also running a fever of 102. No one knows if any of it has to do with the vaccine or the result of an infection she has. Honestly? I do not know what we would have done if Mandy didn’t live there. She was the one person that knew exactly what to do for mom and how to take care of her.

This has all just solidified in our minds the fact that we are making the right decision in going home and moving next-door. Instead of waiting until September, I am planning to go back the first week of May and just stay there. I am getting my first Pfizer vaccine injection tomorrow and I imagine the second one will be in three weeks. If I have to I can leave after that, but I’m hoping to be able to wait and go with Dennis the first part of May. The problem is, everyone else back there has commitments and can’t be with Grandma everyday. They either work full-time or go to school.

I hope all is well with all of you. I’ll check in again later.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

25 comments:

  1. What a blessing that Mandy was able to check on her grandmother so quickly and was able to get her medical assistance. Your new home is lovely.I love that big window in the front room. Congratulations on getting an appointment for the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about our mother in law, hope she recovers fully. The elderly can get bladder or kidney infections that throw off their whole systems. Sounds like you going there is a real good idea! Prayers for her complete recovery! Your new house is lovely, you will make it your own:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scare!!! You must be so happy that you will be soon be close. Your new house has so much potential! It will be fun seeing how you cozy it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy is a blessing! And Jesus put that house in place for you. I hope Dennis's mom recovers quickly. I am so sorry this has happened. You are certainly needed!

    Now the house - that hutch is just gorgeous! It will be so fun to fill it with beautiful things! How wonderful they are leaving things for you to get started. I can't wait for you to make this house your home. Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for your MIL, that she'll be much better soon. How scary for all of you and especially for her. God bless you all. Your new house should be just great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy seeing your new to you home!!! Looks so nice and it does look almost the same outdoors as the one you had in Spokane. So kind of the people to leave you furniture. The hutch is nice!!! I am so thankful Dennis' mom is ok and thankful the Dennis was able to stay with her on phone while EMTs were able to kick in the door and help her. A new key for Mandy would be helpful. No one knows what will happen. I am glad mom is ok for now. I will be praying for her that she will get better and she will improve now, in Jesus name, AMEN!!! Love you my friend and thanks for sharing your life!!! Take care! :-}
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, Betsy! What an awful thing to happen, good thing Dennis checks on her each day and was able to get Mandy headed her way. I am glad to hear you will be moving up your departure date as it seems fate is wanting you there quickly. You are going to have so much fun "feathering your nest" at the new house! It's a blank canvas. I can envision your kitchen queen cabinet there. You might need to get some jadeite for it! LOL!! Good job on all the mittens. What are those kids going to do when you move? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my. I will add your MIL to my prayers; I'm glad you have a plan to go and help her soon! Your mittens are beautiful-you can knit and pray any anxiety away! The new home is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new home looks very spacious and lovely.
    It must have been so awful for your poor mother to lie there until someone broke down the door to reach her and get her to the hospital. I can't help but wonder if the Covid shot was responsible for her episode. I hope she'll be okay. I can see why moving there a bit sooner than expected is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will add her to my prayer list Betsy, what a scare for everyone. Wishing her a quick recovery, it is so hard been so far away. Not long until you move into your new house which I am sure will very quickly become a beautiful home. Your mittens are a labour of love and I am sure are greatly appreciated. Take care dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so scary! Your poor Mother! What a relief that you have Mandy so very near and so very glad you have other family near by to help out too. I think you are wise to bring forward your moving date. Great to hear you have your vaccine shot tomorrow. I am so delighted for you about your new house and I am looking forward to seeing lots of photos of your new house and how you make it into your home. What fun you are going to have!! Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear Betsy! Thank goodness Mandy was so close by and able to get over there. I hope your MIL is ok. Congratulations on the house AND on getting the vaccine!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I would love to be able to live beside my Mom. Unfortunately we are priced right out of the market around here. We'll be looking at least two hours away.

    So scary with what happened to Grandma. Hopefully she mends quickly and can get out of the hospital soon. Sending lots of good healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, what a scary thing to have happen. Especially when you are so far away. You are indeed very lucky that Mandy was able to get there quickly. I hope everything goes ok and your mother in law is feeling better and back home soon. Your new house looks lovely and what nice furniture they left!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How scary! Sending good wishes that Dennis' mom gets better very soon.

    Won't it be nice to have some things already in the house so you can get there quick without much trouble.

    Funny --- for some reason I was expecting your new house to be of an older style (gothic or Victorian).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my Betsy, You have been on such a roller coaster. The house is lovely and the furniture looks very nice. That is like when we moved into our new house, however, ours was due to a death and the sons had no room for the furniture.
    I am so sorry about your Mother. Praise God Mandy was able to get there and to care for her. We will be praying for you and your family plus the decisions you will need to make about moving.
    I love you, my friend.
    God's blessings and HUGS, HUGS, HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bless your MIL and Mandy. Praying for your MIL. The house is lovely. How perfect you will be right next to your MIL in the future. Wishing you a day full of blessings sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Betsy! Thanking God that angels were around her. My goodness what a story. Never good when no one gets an answer. Your new house is going to be full of your own touches! The rooms look large and sun filled ! Family. Nothing like it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your new home and furnishings are so lovely. I hope that Grandma will be able to be home soon and everything will work out taking care of her. I am glad we moved near our daughter a few years ago and now one of our sons live here also. It is really a help to have them near at our age. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Betsy, I held my breath reading about your Mom. So thankful she is in such good care, and how wonderful that you will be living there right next to her. Your new house is beautiful! I felt like I was standing right there in the living room with the windows opened the fresh air coming in. It's beautiful! and all that nice furniture they left. That is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness Betsy. Your poor Mum how awful for her and all of you. I really hope she gets better soon. Sending lots of love and prayers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Betsy I am praying that you and Dennis and your family are strengthened and comforted as cope with the trauma of Dennis's mom's illness and you sort out how best to help Dennis's mom heal. Your lovely new house seems ideally located! I hope you enjoy the process of feathering your new nest and settling into it. I admire the wonderful mittens you have made for the children. I am grateful to be blessed by your beautiful life and your faithful loving relationship with our Lord Jesus. Thanks for posting! ((hugs)) 💜🙏

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm just now having a chance to read this and am so srry to hear of your mother-in-law's health issues. I trust things are much better for her by now. You are surely going through such sad, hard trials, and my heart goes out to you. May the God of all comfort hold you extra close and give you added strength during these difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been praying for all of you since you left this information about your MIL on my comments. Such a huge, huge scare. Thank goodness all of you have a routine of calling her so you would know if something wasn't right. And again thank goodness for Mandy and her huge help and knowledge. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I've been keeping up with you through FB.... So sorry about Dennis' Mom.. Hope she is doing better now... Did she have a reaction to the vaccine --or something else?

    I'm sorry also about the death of Chloe... I can only imagine how much both of your miss her. She was SUCH a vital part of your lives...

    Can you 'hire' some help for Mom until you all get there? That would take some of the pressure off of the family--and you...

    I saw the pictures of your new home... You will love fixing it up JUST for you!!!! Hopefully this will be your last move (and last buying and selling) for awhile... Glad that you two are still young enough to do all of that...Not sure that we could have done it!!!!

    Our Love and Prayers for you and the family.

    Love,
    Betsy (From Tennessee)

    ReplyDelete