Saturday, November 25, 2023

Back to Normal, Whatever That Is!

Hi everybody! First of all, I want to thank each and everyone of you for your well wishes. I’m back to normal, if that’s a good thing! I did end up staying home for Thanksgiving, so whatever bug I had lasted about four days. When I woke up Friday morning, I felt completely fine. We were able to spend the day at the zoo as planned yesterday and today we’ve been at Brad and Mandy’s again all day. Several of the nieces and nephews, their spouses and Brad‘s parents came over for the afternoon. Pizza was provided by Brad and Mandy and Dennis and I. Some of the others brought treats to share. We all had a grand time just visiting and having a relaxed afternoon of fun. After everyone else left, Dennis, Alex, T. and Baby J went over to tell Grammy goodbye. Tomorrow morning we’ll pick them up for breakfast on the way to the airport. Their flight leaves about mid-day and it will be a red-eye back to London where they should arrive Monday morning. 

The visit was too short, but we crammed a lot of fun into it, and even some together time being sick! Shades of when the kids were little and sick and we would all share the germs. 🤒 Well, I guess that part wasn’t quite so much fun.

But first, some photos from the zoo. It was SO cold. 17°F when we left to go home and we walked close to 5 miles! Most of the things we saw were inside but you still had to walk between the buildings. There weren’t very many people there, because there was a Nebraska game on and it was a home game to top it off. Plus, it was Black Friday. All in all, it was a perfect day for the zoo. 

Brad and Mandy will be gone next weekend and Piper and Lizzie will be staying with us. We plan to go back to the zoo with Piper because although it was all decorated yesterday for Christmas, it was too cold to stay around until dark and see all the lights come on. Next week is supposed to be much warmer, into the mid 40s.

There are a LOT of pictures, so just skip on through if you would rather not see them all. I wish I could remember the names of the first two animals but my mind is blank. They both were so cute though. 💜



The Tawny Frogmouth Owl.

Mr. Roadrunner. We enjoyed watching him run around and flip his tail up and down. There was a zookeeper sitting in this exhibit, holding another road runner and feeding it by hand. They seem to be very tame.

We sure enjoyed time with our kids and granddaughters.

And we saw lots…
and lots…

and lots…

of nasty snakes. I really don’t like snakes at all.

I will spare you the hundreds and hundreds of bats that were flying around and hanging from the ceiling.

But the puffins…

and beautiful forms of starfish…



and king crabs, this one was about 3 feet across!…

and especially the giraffes, more than made up for the snakes. There was even a baby giraffe, but he was to busy and fast playing to get a decent picture.

We all commented that it was the most animals we’ve ever seen out and active in our trips to the zoo. I don’t know if it was because it was cooler or less people staring at them, but every exhibit we went to had active animals, insects, or snakes. We didn’t even make it through a third of the zoo, but then again, we never do. It is huge!

We exchanged Christmas gifts today with our out of town kids.

And had a real Christmas cake brought from London, soaked in rum and lit on fire!

Alex and Brad look pretty pleased with their work in lighting it on fire. ☺️

And that is that. A busy and eventful few weeks. I would love to share more actual photos of the kids, but you know the story of that. DIL’s job prevents us from posting photos of them online. However, just since September sweet little Baby J who is just 20 months old, fully knows her alphabet in both English and Japanese and speaks to you in 4-5 word sentences in BOTH languages. She has actual conversations! I seriously have never seen anything like it. Her language skills have exploded in the past two months since we saw her. The nanny talks to her in only Japanese, T in just English and Alex speaks both fluently. We have enjoyed this time.

Brad, Mandy and Piper were excellent hosts for Thanksgiving and picked up both my part and Dennis’s too, since he only has one hand and couldn’t carve the turkey or do the dishes, his normal jobs. Their house has been bursting with guests everyday since Thanksgiving and we’re grateful for them being here for everyday life and help.

Now I’ll end this too long post and hope that you all had a lovely blessing filling weekend too. I give thanks to the Lord for each one of you and your families. 

Much love and many blessings,
Betsy 

15 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you got better, Betsy and had a great time with your family at the zoo. I loved all the pics except for the snakes;....I rushed right past those....sounds like such fun with everybody and the fancy cake from London. Sorry your company has to depart for home, but I know you had a wonderful time with them. I thought of you and Dennis many times during your absence, and hoped you were having a wonderful Thanksgiving and time with your family. Sounds like all went well. Take good care...God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh...I love a good plum pudding! I make one every year and I'm the only one who eats it. Setting it ablaze is always hilarious especially if you drink too much of the brandy before you light the match...lol.
    I left this in my blog comments for you but in case you didn't see it:
    I always showed my class The Snowman on the day we left for winter break. I can't listen to the soundtrack without getting a lump in my throat. Such a haunting score. George Winston has a lovely version. The intro to the film with David Bowie is especially poignant now that he is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I read your comment at my blog and was so sad to see you'd not felt well over Thanksgiving. So glad you're back to healthy and were able to visit the zoo (but those snakes!) and with everyone. Thanks for your nice comments at my blog and have a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was smiling at the beautiful photo of you and Dennis and you wearing a great sweater and then you stuck a snake photo next and I wasn't smiling any more! lol Glad you were better enough to enjoy some family time after all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are feeling better. Safe travels to Alex and his family on his trip back home.

    I guess I'm one of those odd people. I think snakes, bats, and alligators are all fascinating to watch. I guess all those years in Florida helped. LOL

    Hope you have a grand time with Piper and Lizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like the perfect time to visit the zoo to me! Our first date (which lasted all weekend) was at the zoo on one of the days. It was mid October and fairly cool so there wasn't a lot of people which was great. But - we didn't get through the whole thing before it closed and I didnt get to see the polar bear (my favourite) Dave promised to take me back but it's been 21 years - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear that you feel better and could have some family time! I would have avoided those sssnakes at the zoo. Give me bats anyday! We used to go to the Zoo everytime we visited Omaha, such a great activity for kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. QUE BUENO SABER QUE ESTAS MEJOR QUERIDA HERMANA, ¿VIRUS ESTOMACAL? TAMBIEN SUFRI DE ESO Y ES HORRIBLE, TE HACE SENTIR MISERABLE JAJAJAA. QUE HERMOSO TIEMPO EN FAMILIA, ERES MUY BENDECIDA BETSY Y ME GUSTA QUE TA TU CLIMA SEA MAS FRESCO, AQUI NOS ESTAMOS ACERCANDO AL VERANO, NO ME GUSTA NI UN POQUTO JAJAJAJA, PERO DIOS HIZO TANTP UNA ESTACION COMO LA OTRA. CUANDO TENGAS TIEMPO PASA POR MI BLOG, HICE UNA PUBLICACION ULTIMAMENTE, TE ENVIO UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE BETTER, DEAR SISTER, STOMACH VIRUS? I ALSO SUFFERED FROM THAT AND IT'S HORRIBLE, IT MAKES YOU FEEL MISERABLE HAHAHA. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY TIME, YOU ARE VERY BLESSED BETSY AND I LIKE THAT YOUR CLIMATE IS COOLER, HERE WE ARE APPROACHING SUMMER, I DON'T LIKE IT A LITTLE HAHAHAHA, BUT GOD MADE SO MUCH ONE SEASON AS THE OTHER. WHEN YOU HAVE TIME, STOP BY MY BLOG, I MADE A POST LATELY, I SEND YOU A HUG FROM A DISTANCE. BLESSINGS.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving in spite of the illness. Such a busy time for you and then people leave and the house seems so empty and quiet all of a sudden.
    That's such a nice picture of you and Dennis ❤
    Have a good week, Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice zoo visit event though there's lots of snakes 🐍 🤔 I don't like them either. I'm glad you're feeling better. Phil and I went on a walk this afternoon and it was chilly. Glad we had coats and hats on. I started making a calendar from Shutterfly online. I still need to get more photos in there soon. 2023 is nearly over. Take care. I still haven't posted anything on my blog lately. Stay warm and happy every day 😊 💛

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, my dear friend!!!! I am sorry you were sick, and glad you are feeling better. I love hearing about your visit with the family from across the pond. The baby? What an amazing thing!! How wonderful! Have a cozy afternoon, and the zoo? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So miserable to be sick over Thanksgiving, but thankful you were able to enjoy such a blessed time anyway! Your granddaughter sounds quite amazing - that she can talk so much at only 20 months, and in Japanese! That is awesome! The zoo pictures were incredible - we don't have a zoo close by here. It is so special to be able to see all those wild animals up close! We do have our fair share of wildlife here though..lol! We don't have much snow yet here, has been very cold, but we are getting a snowstorm tomorrow. I think we are ready for snow. :) Blessings to you dear friend - and thank you for the early Christmas card! You are really on top of things :) Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Just coming over from Terra's blog. Enjoyed reading your comment there. Nice to see another sister in Christ. I enjoyed reading and seeing your Zoo trip. Wow, that's some Zoo. Wanda from "Got a Minute or Two".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better! Wishing Alex and his family a smooth and joyful journey back home!

    ReplyDelete