Friday, November 10, 2023

Thank you!

Thank you! There were so many well wishes for Dennis and his surgery in my last post. You're all so kind and we both appreciate each and every one of them. He's doing very, very well. On Tuesday we returned to the hospital and the surgeons office where he exchanged the HUGE, bulky cast for this. He has not had one bit of pain since the surgery and hasn't taken even a single tylenol for pain. God has indeed been with him, because looking at the next photo, I don't see how it can possible not be very painful. If you have a queasy stomach, I suggest you pass by the next bit. 😵‍💫

How can that NOT hurt? But there is very little swelling. Last time, he couldn't wear his watch from June until October because the swelling never went away and it was from his fingertips to his wrist. The stitches should come out next Tuesday. He'll probably have to wear the splint for 6-8 weeks, which is into January! He's already bending his fingers to his palm and the thumb top joint to touch his fingers! It is truly wonderful. He even went back to work on Monday!

Switching gears, last night was Miss Pipers very last elementary musical. Next year she'll be off to middle school! When did that happen? This is a really blurry photo because it's zoomed in so far. But she's still cute isn't she? The theme was Music in America. This song was about rock and roll so they wore sunglasses. So cute!

The kids were great, but of course, both of us Grandma's thought she was the best one there. She even had a speaking part. Brad's parents were there too, along with the two of us and Brad & Mandy. I'm going to miss these musicals.

Here's a broader photo that shows how far back we were. The big dog is the schools mascot. They are the Timberwolves. 

And now for some crafting. I finished the very last Christmas gift! Mom's socks. Just a plain vanilla sock pattern as it's what she likes best. Yesterday we picked her up and took her to Cheddar's for lunch. She loves it there and so do we. She couldn't remember we were going to lunch even after a call at bedtime the night before and two reminder calls in the morning. She said she would be waiting at the front door, which she usually is. I had to go all the way up to her room, to find her watching TV. She had completely forgotten we were going to lunch and scolded me all the way back to the car for not giving her more notice so she could dress appropriately. She looked fine. She always looks nice. She seems to have taken another memory hit. She goes along fine for a few weeks or a month, staying about the same and then something happens and we notice that she's forgetting even more. It's such a sad thing.

On Monday I decided that baby J needed a crochet toy from Grandma when she gets here next week. I made a couple of these bunnies a few years ago for Nita and Lori, my friends in Spokane. I picked up the yarn and started crocheting it on Tuesday. By evening, I had a bunny. It's far from perfect, but it's so soft and cuddy and almost as big as she is! I used Bernat Blanket yarn (#6 bulky) and an "N" crochet hook. I think she'll love it. 

I also made a start on Piper's new sweater this week. If I finish it before Christmas I'll just give it to her but if it's close to Christmas I may wrap it up for her. The color is really a deeper sage green than this photo shows. I couldn't get it to photograph correctly. She chose the pattern and has asked for a sage green, a red and a white cardigan. This girl has worn my sweaters almost daily since she was tiny. She loves them and I love making them for her since she wears them so much. This is the "Pure Comfort Cardigan" by Andrea Yetman and is a free pattern on Ravelry. It has an unusual shawl collar and I hope I can figure it out when I get to that part! :-) I'm about halfway through the stockinette body. Just plain knitting and purling back and forth. I'm using Yarn Bee Simply Flawless in Desert Sage from Hobby Lobby. She's growing up and every time I make her a sweater it's taking more and more yarn. 🧶🧶🧶 I just don't understand it!?

Today we have the Veteran's Day program at the school this afternoon. We were able to go last year for the first time and they really put on a nice program for the Veteran parents and grandparents. They even put every Veteran's photo up on the big screen for all to see. Both Dennis and Brad's dad, also a Dennis, are military veterans. I love going to watch the children sing. They look like they're having such a great time up in front. I was thinking we could give Piper a ride home afterwards, but she's on safety patrol duty today. Anyone else out there who were on the safety patrol? Dennis was captain at his school safety patrol and I was a captain at mine!

Well, that's our week since I last wrote to you. Sprinkled in there are also Sunday School and church, two different Bible Studies on Wednesday and Thursday's. I crochet sleeping mats for the Open Door Mission on Tuesdays with some ladies at our old apartment building. Helping Brad and Mandy whenever we can since they're both busy with work. Taking care of Mom and going to doctor appoints. Life definitely is keeping us busy here in Omaha.

I did manage to get the Christmas cards finished this week too and they are stamped and ready to mail out the day after Thanksgiving. We have yet another new address this year, so I wanted to get them mailed early. The last move. We want to promise that, but I don't want to say something that may change. Our plan is to stay here till the end, but you never know what the future holds.

I'm in daily prayer for Israel and all of the people affected by the horrible massacre there. Also for the innocent people in Gaza. I pray for all of the kidnap victims and their families and hope that they will soon be back home.

Take care my dear friends. I so appreciate each one of you and the fact that you take the time to come visit me here. I'll be back soon. Meanwhile, take care of yourselves and keep a watchful eye open at all times.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

15 comments:

  1. What a busy time you are having! First, Praise the Lord that Dennis is finally on the road to recovery. Actually his incision looks pretty good and how wonderful he is finally pain free. And already is getting range of motion! I think this is the surgery he needed all along. So happy how this has turned out.
    That Piper! Aren't you glad we have phones with terrific zooms for these concerts! I love school concerts and it's even better when your grandchild participates. She looks like she is having a great time. The Veterans Program at the school sounds very nice, too.
    How wonderful Baby J is coming for a visit. She will just love the bunny. I bet you are counting the minutes. Thank you for your patience with Dennis's mom. It is so hard to be a caregiver and I am glad you moved her to the assisted living. She does appreciate all you do for her. I am sure she really enjoyed her lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pain most certainly means, Dennis’ thumb will heal completely this time. Pretty socks! Plain vanilla socks are my favorite to show the beauty of the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!!!! That thumb sure looks nasty. They covered The Mister's knee up with layers of bandages so I couldn't see the worst of it until last week. It doesn't look nearly as bad as the hip did but it's still gives me goose bumps.
    I miss those days of the kids concerts and school events. The Grands are all too far away for me to get very involved which is a shame. Out of my three kids I was hoping at least one might stick around-but no. They all flew away. Hopefully I'll get to see the last Grand for the first time at Christmas-if everyone stays well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about Dennis for sure!! And soon more family will be in town. Little Baby J will love her bunny, I'm sure. Can't believe Piper will be in Middle School! Yikes!! She is growing fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crocheted bunny looks so soft and will no doubt be a big hit with baby J.
    You're such a speedy crochet er ❤.
    I feel for your Mom. Getting old and forgetful seems to be a fact of life but so sad. Thank you for being understanding ( and how sweet of you to take her out for lunch at a place she likes).
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOLA BECKY: ME ALEGRA SABER QUE DENNIS ESTA MEJORANDO DE SU CIRUGIA, DIOS ES FIEL HERMANA¡¡¡¡¡ TU NIETA SI QUE ESTA CRECIENDO RAPIDO Y ES TAN BELLA, LAMENTO LO DE TU SUEGRA, ES DIFICIL PERO ALGUNAS PERSONAS MAYORES DESARROLLAN PROBLEMAS CON LA MEMORIA DURANTE SU VEJEZ, ESPERO QUE NO EMPEORE. ME ENCANTAN TUS MEDIAS SON MIS COLORES PREFERIDOS. TAMBIEN ORO POR ISRAEL Y POR GAZA, HAY TANTAS MUERTES INOCENTES, TANTA MALDAD, DIOS MIO QUE PRONTO SE TERMINE TODO ESTO Y LO DE UCRANIA TAMBIEN. BENDICIONES DULCE HERMANA Y AMIGA BLOGUERA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI BECKY: GLAD TO HEAR THAT DENNIS IS IMPROVING FROM HIS SURGERY, GOD IS FAITHFUL SISTER¡¡¡¡¡ YOUR GRANDDAUGHTER IS GROWING UP FAST AND IS SO BEAUTIFUL, SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MOTHER IN LAW, IT'S HARD BUT SOME OLDER PEOPLE DEVELOP MEMORY PROBLEMS IN THEIR OLD AGE, HOPE IT DOESN'T GET WORSE. I LOVE YOUR SOCKS THEY ARE MY FAVORITE COLORS. I ALSO PRAY FOR ISRAEL AND FOR GAZA, THERE ARE SO MANY INNOCENT DEATHS, SO MUCH EVIL, MY GOD MAY IT ALL END SOON AND FOR UKRAINE TOO. BLESSINGS SWEET SISTER AND BLOGGER FRIEND.

      Delete
  7. I cannot inagine no pain in that hand, but I am happy for Dwnnis! You lead a busy life! Yes those memory problems change from day to day with the elderly. My Mom does the same thing...no fun to see their recall slip away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have misplaced my email address list. Could you email me so that I can put you back into my address book?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear that Dennis is doing well! You sure have been busy and are so organized to be finishing up Christmas projects, including cards, so early. It's so hard to believe that Piper will be in middle school next year. Kids sure grow up quickly now, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to read your interesting posts Betsy. So glad Dennis has that new fancy cast and is not in pain....that's awesome. Piper looks so cute at her Christmas program....hopefully she'll be involved in things like that in Middle school too. I just love that bunny you made so fast....I'm sure the little one will adore it. Sorry to hear about mom and her dementia. Both my mom and dad had it toward the end of their lives. I just started working on my Christmas cards tonight...and you're all done! Good for you. I too hope it will be your last move. Til your next post....take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad Dennis has a better cast to keep his hand and arm to heal soon. I like the photos of Piper at her musical show. My how time flies!! My grandson will be 13 in Jan. We had a good time with Justin and family today at Burgerville for lunch. It's been months since we've seen them. Megan is a bit better due to medication that helps pain subside and ability to get off the recliner and walk with her walker. She has 5-6 hats that have been knitted or crocheted and pr. of sox that are knitted as well. I have been going through photos I took in AK 2021 for a few Christmas cards. It's good memories and makes me cold just seeing snow and glaciers. Happy Veterans day to Dennis from me and Phil.. all 3 of us US Air Force!!! Hug and blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise God! Healing for the next few months and then a ton of therapy will give him a very workable thumb--amazing! Your stuffed dog is adorable! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've definitely been keeping busy! Love the socks

    No swelling or pain is a great sign - I'm always amazed at what modern medicine can do!

    And tell Miss Piper she's growing up far too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh You are right, how could his arm not hurt! I'm so glad it doesn't. Betsy, that is the cutest bunny rabbit I've ever seen! You are so talented! Piper's sweaters are just beautiful. No wonder she loves them. You can't buy ready made sweaters as pretty as those you make. Piper is such a sweet girl and yes, she is so cute.

    ReplyDelete