Friday, May 5, 2023

Moving!

We signed on the condo today! We’re so excited. We sure have been busy since then. We had the car loaded with Dennis's computer equipment when we went to the title company to sign papers. We went straight to the condo and unloaded it and walked through the place and oohed and awed over our new home. Back to the apartment we went to fill the car with plastic bags, the truck was already full. We unloaded both vehicles at the condo and then back to the apartment we went for 12 boxes of BOOKS! How? How do we still have have 12 boxes of books when we got rid of hundreds of books in the past two moves? I needed those boxes emptied so I can pack the kitchen tonight. At least as much as I can. Tomorrow we have friends with three more pick-up trucks coming to help us move boxes and little stuff. We've hired a company called "Firefighters on the Move," who will move the big stuff. Dressers, fireplace, bookcases, table and chairs, etc. 

My china cabinet won't fit on the wall it needs to go on, so we're going to have to try to sell it. We'll have the firefighters move it to the garage at the new place. There is a small possibility that the lady across the hall here might have a friend that wants to rent our unit. If so, we'll see if she wants to keep the china cabinet and we would just give it to her. We are still under a lease for five more months that we have to pay rent, electric and insurance until, or if, it's rented. The building has a lot of empty units because they raised the rent a lot at the beginning of the year.  If Karen's friend moves in here to be closer to her, that would help us save a LOT of money. 

Here are a few photos of our apartment today! I had seven huge black bags of yarn!







This is what it looks like at this moment. We have 12 empty paper boxes that we took books out of at the condo this afternoon. Now I'm filling them with dishes and food. Isn't that cabinet pretty? I'm sad to leave it behind.

I started my fall diamond painting on Tuesday and finished it late last night. I wanted to get it done before we started moving so it wouldn't get damaged. A great way to store them is to roll them up and put them inside of a paper towel roll. This really is pretty, especially from a distance.

I also started another crocheted shawl with "I Love This Yarn" in the Jazz Stripe colorway. This was some  of the clearance yarn that I got last month. I only paid $1.24/per skein.

What a fun and exciting weekend we're going to have. Ha! One of the residents at the new building came over this afternoon while we were unloading and explained the secure entry procedures and showed Dennis about the furnace, water heater and water shut-offs. It sounds as if everyone in our building is around our age and he said it's a very quiet building. I think we'll fit in well. He told me about a ladies tea that is being held next Tuesday. Although that's the day the firefighters are moving us, so I won't be able to go. So there will still be some things going on at our new place! That's nice to know.

By the way, the "Firefighters on the Move" moving company was founded by two paramedics.  They hire only firefighters and police officers who work on their days off. They have wonderful reviews and I guess you can't be any safer can you? They even tell you to make sure you keep essential medications and a first aid kit readily available! :-) You can tell they're paramedics.

I'll be back again soon. Take care!

Blessings and love,
Betsy

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've found a nice place. Activities are one of the things I miss about our Jacksonville apartment. There was almost always something going on. They had Food Truck Friday and all the holidays were celebrated in some way. I miss the river the most, but the apartment (other than the noise) was a lot of fun.

    I hope you love your new home. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe you are moving again. I am sure you will be very glad when this LAST move is done! I think the firefighter/police officer movers is a great idea. Nice side job for them and trustworthy movers for you. Can't wait to see your new home and I am excited that there is a tea party - there will be some activities to get involved with. I just wish I could alter the size of your china cabinet so you could keep it. I have the same problem with books, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your move! It sounds like your new place is going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your China cabinet is gorgeous! Many blessings on your move. Your shawl is very lovely! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Moving and I sure hope your old apt gets rented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the move goes smoothly for you and that someone picks up your apartment lease.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow....your post is so exciting Betsy. I can just picture you guys loading everything up and moving, moving, moving to your new condo. I'm sure you'll love it there and I can't wait to see pictures of it! So glad you're finally getting the place you wanted! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know how you're doing it. Just the sight of those bags gives me the willies. Not only have you moved so many times but you also had to deal with all the remodeling at the new house not that long ago. What ever stuff you are made of needs to be bottled and sold. I could use some of your zen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you're going to be really busy getting settled. Enjoy your new place! I sure can relate about the books; I think we have a book case in almost every room in our house. Hope that apt. gets rented very soon. (You and my sister would get along; she loves making those diamond project, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. If it makes you feel better, my house looks a lot like yours right now. Everything from the basement is upstairs because we are having work done in the basement to get it dry. They start next week and it should be done by the week after. I can't wait to get it all done and back to where it was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless your heart! I know what it feels like to be moving. My heart goes out to you. I am happy you have such a great moving company to help you! That is great! I do love your china cabinet. It looks a lot like the one I had to leave behind at our last house. It used to be brown, but I had painted it white and distressed it to go better with our kitchen at that house, as the dining room was a part of the kitchen, but it was a very large room. We didn't have room for it here either, and the new owners of our house wanted it, so it stayed. I guess you will have to come up with a reasonable substitute that fits the space you have at the new house. I am sure you can find something...look at thrift stores! You'd be surprised what people donate! God bless you in this move. It sounds like a good place and that you will have nice neighbors! Can't wait to see it! Take care and God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting to get all of your possessions into the new condo so it will be home soon! You've sure had a crazy few years of moving and moving again....sending hugs and a good night's sleep so that you will have the stamina for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you and Dennis found the place you love! Seems like all you've done is move move move move move for a couple years! Ha! Hopefully this is it, right?! // I love the colors of the new shawl. // I think I already commented a while back that granddaughter Kara (age 18) is really into the diamond art. She has started on her fifth project since the first one I bought for her last September (or maybe it was October for her birthday). // The storms Nebraska has had lately, I can see the clouds from our livingroom window where I have me desk. I can see the lightning of a little severe storm just east of Hastings right now (8:50 p.m.). Neat to be able to see weather things so far away. // Welp, don't hurt your back packing, let those nice firefighters and police do the heavy work for you guys. Sending you lots of love and blessings, and praying for this to be an easy and quick move, and that someone wants that apartment you're leaving! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can only imagine the stress of moving. We've been in this house 44 years so moving would be a nightmare. It does sound like you have people who are right in there helping you so that's great. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy for you both!! I do hope God will send someone to rent the other place. You at lest can call all these moves and adventure. Take care and keep us posted!
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! What a tone of work for you two. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm purging our home, as I spring clean it, and getting rid of anything I would not move if we were to move. I would like to move at some point, but yes it can be stressful and exciting at the same time. I love the shawl.

    ReplyDelete