Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day 2023

It always seems wrong to say "Happy Memorial Day," so I'll just say that I hope you take some time today, if you're in the US, to remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we can be free. Lots of people are camping, picnicing, swimming, etc. today, but we're just relaxing today. We haven't done much relaxing for weeks so it's nice not to have big plans. I did make a broccoli salad this morning and we'll probably grill some hamburgers or hot dogs for dinner. Dennis has been puttering around touching up the paint on walls where we filled in nail holes from the previous resident. Thank goodness they had left paint for our use. 

I did finish another prayer shawl a few days ago. This one was made with small balls of yarn I have. When I looked at the bins when it was finished, it doesn't even look as if I used any of it! I really do think it's multiplying. It's a bright and cheerful shawl that I think will make someone very happy.

Can you see the price on this ball of yarn? It's $1.00. I got it at Michaels last summer. It's one of those giant balls of Lion Brand baby yarn. Someone had torn the label in two so they had it in the clearance bin for a dollar! I snatched it up as soon as I saw it and wish I could find more deals like this. I have a crocheted "Every Which-Way" baby blanket on the hook. It will go to either the hospital or a crisis pregnancy center. I think I'll be able to get two blankets from this bargain ball of yarn.

I have a pair of socks on my double points. I usually only work on them during Sunday School, but I think I'll just take sock yarn with us on our trip next month. It would be nice to be able to get several pairs done while we're gone and it doesn't take up much room in the trailer. This is one of the skeins of Opal yarn I bought while I was in London in January. It's Opal, Cat's & Dog's and came directly from Germany. I love how the colors are unfolding from the skein.

I thought I would show you my Mother's Day presents from two years ago from Miss Piper. I always sang this song to her as a baby and she remembered that when she chose my gift. 

The same thing is printed on a dish towel.  Brad's Moms special song was, "You are my Sunshine." And amazingly, Piper found a hot pad and dish towel with that embroidered on it. I thought that they were wonderful gifts.

The flowers on the island are from the high school graduation party Saturday of a young man from church. They brought about 15-20 small bouquets of flowers to decorate the front of the church and told people to fell free to take them home and enjoy them. Wasn't that kind of them?

I saw this and I just had to laugh. It is very true isn't it?

Thank you to everyone who sent me links to the pocho pattern that I want to make for Piper. It is called the Ramble-Poncho-Light. I have purchased the pattern on Ravelry but now I'll need to find the yarn I want to use. It does call for bulky weight which I don't use very often. I may end up getting Knit Picks Brava Bulky.

This verse is my favorite verse from the Bible. It gives me hope and always has. 

I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day if you live in the US, remembering those who have given their all for us. For everyone else, wishing you a wonderful day too.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

17 comments:

  1. Happy to see you're settling in. I have no idea how you have time for all you do. The shawl is lovely. So cheerful. I used Brava bulky for a hat I made myself last winter and I love it. It was my go to hat all season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you wear the prayer shawl on your head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did send you an email but wanted to answer here too in case anyone else had the same question. The University of Nebraska Medical Center, (UNMC), asked me to make prayer shawls for critically ill patients and cancer patients undergoing chemo. The idea is that while you are making it you pray for the person who will be recieving the prayer shawl .
      I hope that answers the question. If anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask anytime.
      Blessings and hugs,
      Betsy

      Delete
  3. It's so funny that you mentioned that about Memorial Day. Dave was doing some online business with a gentleman in the states yesterday, and wanted to sign off the email with "Happy Memorial Day", but I stopped him before he hit send and said, I don't think that's the quite the right thing to say.
    I think relaxing and enjoying the things you love is a good way to recognize their sacrifice.
    Love that scrap shawl - so cheerful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is absolutely amazing to me how much knitting you get done and all the beautiful things you create. I love the gifts Piper picker out. She is a thoughtful loving child, isn't she...and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like shawl and socks you made. I like knitted socks but not done the correct one that I thought I could do when I was with you in Spokane a few years ago. I got Phil some merino wool socks for Christmas and he quit using them as there is a hole in on the heel of socks. I am not sure how to take care of it. I got it at the Oregon Flock and Fiber fest. Megan went down to Salem to get my computer battery that I order 2 Sundays ago. Then she went to get cds at Rainbow West Christian store then to Target, lunch then home. Not on freeway too long as it has very slow traffic when she came home. I am not sure when I will be going back to Panera. I am thinking 2 months then see what happens then. Have a good relaxing day. God bless you both!!!===Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. ADORO TU CHAL DE COLORES, ME ENCANTA. BENDICIONES BETSY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE YOUR COLORED SHAWL, I LOVE IT. BETSY BLESSINGS.

      Delete
  7. Betsy, your shawls turn out so beautifully. People must be so thrilled to receive one. Love your gifts from Piper with the song she remembered so well. Memories are such a lovely part of our lives, aren't they? A Blessed Memorial Day to you and Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was my best friend's favorite Bible verse also.

    I'm glad you found the poncho pattern. Sure wish it came in big people's size. I think I'd like one of those. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. My but that pink yarn is pretty and you got it for such a low price!! The finished blanket if perfect for a baby girl.
    How nice that you got to bring home flowers from church. I love the yellow roses.
    GM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your scrappy prayer shawl is a beauty! Piper picks out the best gifts! Glad you found the pattern for the poncho! I need to look up the every which way baby blanket it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wrote 'Happy Memorial Day' to a friend and I immediately thought, that really doesn't seem to fit. Your colorful prayer shawl is so pretty, I love all the colors. Hope all is well with you, have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your prayer shawl. How you will bless others!!! Your kitchen is beautiful, my friend. Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The colors in this "rainbow" prayer shawl are just fabulous! And I love the orangey socks, too. You have such a great eye for colors. Wonderful Mother's Day gifts and I can't wait to see what you create for Piper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did cut out the Pickles comic strip for future laughs! I normally do not buy patterns but I enjoy all your versions of the prayer shawl, a great stashbuster for certain♥Thanks for sharing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The shawl will certainly brighten someone's day as they go through some tough times. The socks will make perfect travel knitting! I don't usually knit with bulky yarn either but what a great pattern to make me change my mind! lol

    ReplyDelete