Wednesday, January 1, 2020

It’s 2020 already!

Who would have thought that the year 2020 would be here so soon? It seems like just yesterday we were all concerned about Y2K and now here we are, 20 years later!  I remember everyone at work being very worried that the computers were going to crash at midnight in 2000 and yet everything rolled along just the same.

Dennis is in Omaha with family, and I have to admit that spending my first ever New Year’s Eve alone was a bit strange. Of course I knitted and I watched a lot of U-Tube videos. Alex and Tara FaceTimed with me from Liverpool, England where they had taken a Beatles tour earlier in the day. It was wonderful to see their faces.

I have some very good news. When they did a scan on Karen on Monday, they found that the spots on her lungs and her liver have disappeared! It is truly a miracle and we attribute it to all of the people who are praying for her. Please keep up the prayers. She sees another doctor tomorrow and as of now she still has cancer in her pancreas, lymph nodes and bones.  We do know that miracles happen and are happening for her.  I am very grateful that Dennis is getting this time to spend with her.

He will be home Saturday night. I was supposed to drive him to the airport yesterday morning early, early, early. However, it snowed all night and he did not want me driving those roads in the dark with so much snow. So he left his truck in the parking garage at the airport.  It was snowing so hard that they sat on the plane at the gate for over 2 1/2 hours before they could take off. They couldn’t keep up with removing the snow and deicing the plane. Thank goodness we had allowed a long connection in Seattle because of this possibility.
Almost 7 1/2 hours after he left our house, he flew back over Spokane on his way to Omaha!  He had to fly from Spokane to Seattle and catch a connecting flight to Omaha. How crazy is that? 7 1/2 hours to end up just above where you started out!

Then, Neal came over and shoveled the driveway out for me when he got off work in the afternoon. We have the most wonderful friends and family you can imagine. I haven’t left the house since Monday and I’m not sure if I will go anywhere today or not. I have a hankering for fried chicken and I may just treat myself and do something I never do. Go through the Kentucky Fried Chicken drive-through!

As I said, I have been getting some knitting done. I finished the sweater just in the nick of time to run to JoAnns and buy some buttons and get them sewn on before Dennis left.

I also made five hats for the ladies at the retirement home to donate.

And I made two pair of mittens yesterday.  A pair for me and a pair for the school children.

Now, there is a story about these mittens I made for myself.  Dennis and I took a walk up at the lake on Sunday to check on the trailers. I had my mittens on because it was very cold.  I remember having them on when I got back into the car. However, when I went to put them on Monday morning for the drive to JoAnns for buttons, they were nowhere to be found. I searched the car. I searched the house. I looked in all of my coat pockets, even the coat I didn’t wear! Nowhere! I thought I must have dropped them when we stopped in the little town of Deer Park on the way home.  

I went ahead and did all of my errands including a few other stops at the grocery store, Walmart and Staples. I had been talking about making a second pair anyway, so I could have a pair in my dress coat and in the coat I wear with jeans. I had just never done it.  So, I went back out Monday afternoon to Hobby Lobby and picked up another skein of the exact same color because I like them so much. When I opened my purse to pay for the yarn guess what was in my purse? My mittens! I have never, ever put my mittens or gloves in my purse before. Plus, I had paid for things at JoAnns, Staples, Walmart, and the grocery store and I never saw the mittens in my purse. How does that happen? I went ahead and bought the yarn and made another pair of mittens anyway! I think I’m losing my mind.  That was my first purchase with my Christmas gift card. :-)

This is Papa‘s plane taxiing to the gate in Omaha yesterday. Does someone look excited to see him?  I can’t believe they had such a good view of the gates from where they were waiting.

This one is really blurry because they were both in motion but it gives you an idea of how excited they were to see each other.  I love this picture.  A moment later and she was in his arms.

I had a few other lovely goodies arrive in the mail. First of all was a sweet card with a Christmas tree framed behind a sweet window with birds. Sam who is “farmgirlsam” on my side bar, sent Dennis and I this beautiful ornament that she made. Unfortunately it was broken when I received it but I have a glued it back together as best I can and I will cherish it. Thank you so much Sam.  We love it.

I also got this handy needle sizer from Judy who is “cozythings” on my sidebar.  It is the perfect size and I can keep it right next to my knitting chair.  I can’t believe how much I have used it already.  Thank you so much Judy!

I hope that you are all having a wonderful New Year’s day and are finding some time to do whatever makes you happy. I’m wishing you all a wonderful 2020. I am so grateful to be starting the year out with wonderful friends like I have here through this blog. You have all come to mean so much to me.

“He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.”  Ecclesiastes 3:11

Blessings and love,
Betsy

18 comments:

  1. What a cute picture of Dennis and your granddaughter. I'm so sorry it broke! I was told if I put them in the padded envelopes they would not run them through the machine...evidently that is not true! Don't worry about the mitten incident...I do stuff like that all the time. I'm not sure if it's normal but I've been doing it for awhile now! LOL! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Betsy! Love the picture of Piper and Dennis! Keeping Karen in my thoughts and prayers. And you too!! Home alone with snow! Thank goodness for wonderful friends. Hope you get your friend chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great photo of Piper and grandpas plane and then the one of her running to hug him. What a great relationship they have. That's a funny story about your mittens.. but I'm sure you'll be glad to have 2 pair. You can leave them in the pockets of 2 coats. I like the color of how that yarn works up, too. Do you have a Popeyes Chicken in your town? You should try it, it's better than KFC. We're going to have leftovers tonight of the yummy chicken dinner Dayle made last evening. I bet you are missing Dennis! He'll be home soon, though. Stay warm and be safe. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny story about your mittens . . . sounds like something I would do. Some days I think I would lose my brain if it weren't attached so well, LOL.
    Wishing you a wonderful 2020. Prayers are going out, God bless you and your family.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That baby sweater is just the prettiest little thing! What a lucky baby to get something so fine!
    Love the mitten story. I swear things disappear and reappear these days by magic. It must be gremlins or gnomes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet baby sweater! Glad that Dennis arrived safely in Omaha. Love the mitten story. Have you read the story, "The Borrowers?" Your mittens in your purse brought the story to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture of Dennis and Piper is absolutely precious! Yes, I'd say she loves her Papa.

    Hope you were able to get your fried chicken. I had my annual candy bar tonight and I will say .................it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH Dennis andPiper........a fantastic moment captured on film Love your hats and that baby sweater

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your great post, Betsy! I love your mitten story and the photos of Dennis's arrival! I am so proud of you for NOT shoveling the snow in your driveway! The sweater is gorgeous! Love and prayers for your Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi dear Betsy, yes, days, years, decades just fly by in a blink it seems. A great post... love that baby jacket, i had prayed ypu would get both finished, glad re news on Karen and long may it continue dear sis, I pray next lot of tests are ALL clear, too, so good Dennis cpuld go there. Praying every blessing. Glad Pipervand he had good time, lovrly indeed.
    Funny re gloves, that me too..usually glasses. I sometimes think an angel hides them then pops them back out again as I could've sworn I'd just looked where something is now found!! 😊
    Take care dear Betsy. I pray in God's mercy in 2020 you'll be able to fly to visit Alex. Thank you for your prayers for Aust as we really need them all. I pray for your country too.
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a moment for a Dennis and Miss Piper, so very precious. Wishing you and yours a very blessed New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet picture of Dennis and Miss Piper. So much love, you can see it in his face. Praise God for Karen, and I will continue to pray for her healing. Love your finishes, too. Such sweet gifts you received. Needle gauges are so handy, I love them. Wishing you a day filled with many blessings my dear sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year Betsy. We could have facetimed! But to be honest I was in bed reading at 9;30. I am not into the whole New Year's thing. So glad Dennis could go for a visit and there is good news about Karen. Sending loving thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a good chuckle over the mittens 'hiding' in your purse. These strange things happen more and more to me as I get older.
    How fortunate you are to have friends and family who come to shovel snow.
    That baby sweater is the sweetest!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad the mittens weren't lost after all. It always seems that when we stop searching so hard we find the very thing we are looking for. I'm always losing stuff -- especially my reading glasses, so try very hard to put things in the same place over and over and right away so that they don't get misplaced. It's nice that Dennis was able to see Piper upon his arrival, but goodness, that was a long flight. Sending healing wishes and blessings of light and love for Karen's continued healing. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So the year is already starting out with some firsts for you! yes, still praying for Karen...so glad Dennis can be with her.
    The sweater you made is beyond cute-nice work! And all of your mittens and hats will be so appreciated! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a bit of good news about your sister in law...still serious but prayers are working! The sweater is darling, you are such a talented knitter!:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my, I am just now making it here to catch up on your latest posts. I like to save them until I can really pay attention and savor every word! I am SO thrilled and thankful for that amazing news about Karen! I hope Dennis enjoyed his time with her and that picture of him and Little Miss Piper is just precious! Oh, the joy in that expression!! God is so good. I'm off to read your next post. This is fun, having more than one of yours to read at a time! Much love to you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete