Friday, December 27, 2019

More Christmas?

Happy Friday everyone. I know Christmas is over, but I had a few ornaments that I still wanted to share with you all. The next three photos are ornaments we bought on our three trips to Maui that we took in December each time we went.  We haven’t been able to go to Hawaii for several years now and Dennis really misses it.

Angels and seashells are a common theme. I love angels. Each time I see one it reminds me that God has sent them to watch over us, along with being His messengers throughout the Bible.

Isn’t this one beautiful?

It is our dream to go back again someday.

On Christmas, even though we had already exchanged gifts at Thanksgiving, Mandy had left a couple of packages under the tree for us so we would have something to open on Christmas day. Dennis got some much-needed clothes and this was what I had from Piper.

Aren’t these both just perfect for me?  A sweet little wood block with a beautiful saying on it. Piper picked it out for me and it’s in my favorite colors of purples and lavenders, although it looks more pink in the photo.  I wear these sort of slipper socks around the house all the time. If this saying isn’t perfect for me I don’t know what is!

This was my gift from Dennis.  Another $100 gift card to Hobby Lobby. He did this last year and I absolutely loved it. The only rule is that I cannot use it to buy anything for anyone else. Since I buy so much yarn to make things to give away, I always feel guilty buying anything for myself. Last year I made that gift card last until October when we were in Omaha. Then I broke the rule when I used the very last of it to buy Piper an outfit for her baby doll. I was so excited when I realized he had gotten me another gift card. It’s a gift that keeps giving to me all year long. It’s amazing how picky I get about what I buy when I’m using this card.  

Goodness I feel spoiled. 

It snowed again last night. Not a lot, but enough to make the roads slick. I had planned to go to Trader Joe’s and JoAnns.  Yesterday I received an email that all of their yarn is on sale. Now I think I’ll just stay cozy inside the house instead. 

Goodness knows I need to be knitting on this...

I should have been done with it by now. I have ripped the right front out three separate times. The directions just say to make it a mirror image of the left side and somehow my brain could not comprehend that. Even though I’ve made this sweater before. Several times.  I honestly don’t know what was wrong with me. Sometimes I worry that I’m losing it.

A close-up of the smocking on the top of the sweater. This is what is so time-consuming.

I finally was able to start a sleeve last night. Now all I have to do is finish the sleeve, knit the second one and do the button band before sewing it all together. And make an identical sweater by next Tuesday.  Somehow I don’t think that’s going to happen, but I’m going to give it a good try!

I received a few beautiful gifts in the mail from you, my blog friends.  This first one is from dear sweet Gracie who lives in Oregon.  Isn’t this ingenious? It’s a towel holder! You put it over the handle on your stove or refrigerator and loop a towel through the openings. I think this is beautiful. Thank you Gracie!  You can find Gracie at “One Saylors Log” over on my side bar.

This very imaginative gift is from Kathy in Wisconsin. It is self-explanatory when you read the card. Isn’t this a great idea? Thank you so much Kathy.  I’m going to plant these in a pot at the lake and think of you every time I see it. Kathy has a blog called ”Compassionknit”and you can find the link on my side bar.

And just look at this treasure trove! A bag, buttons and yarn from my dear friend Lorraine who lives on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland.  She made the beautiful bag and sewed the buttons on the individual cards. I wish you could smell this wool.  I’m sure it’s from one of the sheep who live outside of their cottage on the island.  She is ”Mama’s Mercantile” over on my side bar if you would like to check out her blog.

On Christmas afternoon we went to see Mr. Rogers at the movie theater along with Neal and Jenny. We have never gone to the movies on Christmas before and I was amazed at how busy it was. There are 20 theaters in this complex and we were told they were all sold out for the showings while we were there. I just could never imagine that many people go to the movies on Christmas. I don’t know that we will do that again.  It just didn’t seem right. Although the movie was very good. 
This is a photo of the Christmas tree at the mall as we were riding up the escalator to the theaters. The tree is three stories high and absolutely gorgeous although the color doesn’t show up very well in this photo.  I guess you can get a bit of the perspective when you see the people standing down below.

And here’s one last photo of our tree that I took on Christmas Eve.  Oh, the memories that this tree holds. I look at the ornaments that the kids made when they were small and ornaments that have been given to us by friends and that we have collected over 41 years of marriage.  It’s probably not as beautiful to most people as the perfectly decorated ones that you see, but it means more to me than one of those trees ever could.

I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday week and that you had time with family and friends.  Now, I’m heading out to shovel snow yet again. It’s that wonderful time of the year!

“Today in the town of David, a Savior has been born to you; He is the Messiah, the Lord.”  Luke 2:11

Blessings,
Betsy

19 comments:

  1. Your Christmas tree and the ornaments from Hawaii are beautiful and that gift card for Hobby Lobby was the perfect gift for you. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Betsy! Loved your gift card story and it shows the wisdom of your husband. <3 And good for you going to see Mr. Rogers on Christmas! We've often gone to movies on Christmas and I enjoy it and love doing things not the same o'l same o'l way. I think God nudges us in these ways to whisk us out of our ruts, especially so that we learn to recognize His voice and ways rather than just going along by rote year after year, missing the new things He does. Anyway! I so enjoyed your post today and your Christmas tree is gorgeous! Blessings, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like your snow storm is reaching eastern Wyoming tonight and tomorrow. I'm happy that I came home today (after a week in Colorado) on dry roads. My niece, sister, and I went to the Mr. Rogers film on the 24th. I loved it; he was such a compassionate man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $100!!! Your hubby is a keeper!
    I love a tree that is filled with memories. I was just saying to my kids on Christmas that I think it's time to start gifting those memories to their trees since I doubt I am ever doing a big tree again. I hate to think of all my precious ornaments sitting in a box year after year. Since we got the kitties I really don't put up anything special anymore for fear of breaking them. Most of my beauties are glass. The Mister thought it would be funny if we just didn't tell the kids and just put the ornaments on their trees when no one was looking during a holiday visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gadzooks that sweater is a huge amount of work especially having to rip it out 3 times and now a second one? You really are a generous person, my friend. I enjoyed seeing your gifts.. I've been wondering where Lorraine has gone to.. can you text me and let me know? I've been worried about her. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOUR tree is the BEST kind of tree. It is one decorated with LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the treasure of the gift card-they are not at all impersonal! This proves it!
    Memories are precious especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, a bit more snow. Hopefully you didn't hurt your back by shoveling snow. Your tree is pretty. Nice gifts you received from blogger friends. I got a gift from Lorraine as well. I'll share it in my last Dec post or early Jan post. Your gifts from Dennis and Piper are so cool!!! Hugs and blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Denver boy is getting snow today. Brrr! I think your Christmas tree is absolutely gorgeous. And the one at the mall is definitely gigantic. Looks like you received so many wonderful gifts. Well deserved! Enjoy. Good luck getting the sweaters done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about your tree, ours is special that way too...we have ornaments on it that are 50 years old now. That is lots of memories!
    I got a Hobby Lobby gift certificate too! Not sure what I will buy!
    I admire your knitting skills! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your tree and all the treasured gifts you received. Reading the card your husband gave you brought tears to my eyes. So very sweet.
    I can imagine myself making a gift card go as far as possible. You did great making it last until October!
    (That tiny sweater is proving to be quite challenging!!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw, I just loved your card and gift from Dennis! And, your tree looks SO cozy and heartwarming! I can surely relate to having memory lapses. I worry about my own sanity sometimes. It seems I cannot remember things and become so foggy-headed! We must be getting old, my friend. But, so thankful to still be alive and here with our loved ones. Praying for all of you and trusting God to bless and be with you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betsy, you received some wonderful presents. I am glad there is a rule you have to use that card on yourself! You do so much for so many you should spoil yourself a bit too. Love your gifts and the pictures of the trees. Mine is coming down tomorrow. I took everything else down today and spent about four hours massively deep cleaning, it feels good to have things fresh and clean before the New Year. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Betsy, Betsy...must you shovel snow? What about your back?????
    Im so glad you got your Dennis gift. I love that you like my seed paper!
    I am grateful for so much but emotionall today. My father is gone, but that's not it. IT is my kids. They are back to their lives,....almost. Pray please zach lands softly in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed every picture and every word. What a nice husband you have. His card and gift brought tears to my eyes. Your tree is beautiful. It's so sparkly and pretty. We've had warm days lately...in the 70's! Really strange. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a dear and amazing friend, Betsy! I think your tree is beautiful and your knitting is as well. I am so glad you received lovely cards and gifts from your family and friends. I went to see the Mr. Rogers movie and Little Women and enjoyed both. Thanks for posting...and sharing the verse...our reason for celebrating all seasons!!! Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely Christmas you had Betsy, such a sweet kind husband too! Such a blessing that you are given a Hobby Lobby card, perfect for you! I've heard that many people go to movies on Christmas, it is not something we've ever done, glad you enjoyed the movie That Christmas tree is huge! Such a lovely gift from your friends, such treasures that delight the heart!

    Happy New Year to you! I'm praying that the New Year ushers in abundant blessings of the Lord into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just stopping by to say Happy New Year! I know you are alone this evening, I hope you are working on the projects you love so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely photos dear Betsy, and love that ultra Fien knitting hope you’ve managed to finish them both. Beautiful lights, love Hubby’s card and that little towel hook is really clever isn’t it!?

    Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too, especially good health in 2020.
    Praying His keeping upon our nations also.
    I prayed in the new year with several hours of prayer, and your nation as well as mine and others were earnestly prayed for for blessing in 2020, both you and Uk are set for a big year ahead. Pleading for God’s blessings in both.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x 🙏🏻🤗😊

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete