Friday, September 20, 2019

Almost there!

We’re about 2 hours from Mandy, Brad  and Piper’s house,  Last night we stayed in Kearney, NE and we just left the Archway Museum.  It is built over I-80 and contains the history of the United States of America’s immigration westward.  It was really great and I encourage you to visit if you have the opportunity.  The inside photos are very dark. I apologize for that.  The tour is self-guided with headsets, so you can take your time and absorb everything.

There are windows in the archway that allow you to see the traffic below.  There is even a radar gun set up so you can see how fast people are going!.



The outside is beautiful with stonework and timbers.

This big boy is life size.  There are also gardens of native prairie grasses.  When we got out of the car Dennis said he’s missed the smell of those grasses.  We don’t have them in Washington.

A display of some of the original “modern” car campers that traveled the Lincoln Highway that intersected the U.S.A.



A 50’s style diner that dotted the roads of the country.

Well hello!  I’ll take each of those baked goodies. :-). There was SO much to this museum.  I barely scratched the surface. My blog friend Teresa’s husband Dayle would love the displays about the Union Pacific railroad and the golden spike.  It told all about the building of the railways.

Across the street was this museum.  My nephew Brian’s name is on a plaque inside and I wanted to get a picture for my brother but it wasn’t open today.  When we went yesterday we had arrived in town 10 minutes after closing.

Behind the building is this memorial garden for volunteer firefighters who have passed.

This was our welcome to Kearney last night when we arrived.  Severe thunderstorms and corn fields.  Welcome home to Nebraska!!!

We’ll see our girls soon.  We’re very excited about that.  Mandy has to work 12 hour shifts Saturday and Sunday but I think we’re going to steal Piper and go see Great-Grandma tomorrow.  Lots of fun ahead.

Chloe is having a good time with our house sitter.  Sheila has sent pictures and she looks happy.  It’s good to know everything is well at home too.

As we walked through the museum, seeing the hardships of the pioneers and those who came before us, Dennis and I were both reminded of this verse from the Bible.  I’m sure it sustained many of those people as they struggled against what must have seemed to be overwhelming obstacles.

“But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.” Psalms 59:16

Blessings,
Betsy

23 comments:

  1. What a great trip!!! I love stopping at odd places on the way to where I'm going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Betsy, thanks for some peeks into the interesting museum! We did not stop to explore it on any of our recent trips in the area. May the Lord bless all your trip and help you make many good memories. This Sunday a Bible study group I'm in is starting the study, Becoming a Woman of Strength by Cynthia Heald...so I especially appreciated the verse you and Dennis shared! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun Betsy! I'm sure your little ladies will be so happy to see you. Thank you for sharing that verse. I'm going to share it with someone who needs it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the photos of the museum! I had no idea that was what was in that "bridge." Have fun with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The museum looks so very interesting. I'd love to see it. I've done quite a bit of research on the Oregon Trail and have seen a number of the sites along the trail but haven't seen any in Nebraska. You must be feeling OK so far....good for you. Enjoy your trip and loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you to see that PIPER doll !!! I hope we get lots of photos and stories. A plane landed on the Lake today while we were paddle boarding. So cool to see them take off and land on water. I love the kids riding bareback in the third photo of a statue

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting museum! travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the museum photos. I've driven under the archway many times but haven't stopped. I hope your back hasn't given you any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Museum sounds like a good place to visit. Museums are fun to go thru and we do when we're close to one. Enjoy your time with Piper and no stealing allowed my friend!! Hugs and be safe and sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear that you made it safely! That museum looks wonderful. I bet Dayle would enjoy it. Next time we drive that way we'll stop. We are so excited to visit Yosemite for the first time. Our next adventure will be to go to Yellowstone and stay in the lodge like you did. I bet you were in heaven giving little Piper her bath and to read her to sleep. And how fun that you'll have her all day while Mandy is at work for long hours! Enjoy your time there and I know you'll have lots of fun.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a great museum; a unique location. Enjoy your time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful verse indeed, Betsy,,the Lord indeed is our fortress and refuge in the day of trouble. Loved the photos and stores of your nation quite different from ours, but both equally beautiful and made by the skill of our Creator God.
    Thanks for being a blessing, and may God bless you too.
    Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great place to stop, such an interesting museum I can't imagine some of the hardships that the pioneers went through. Such a fitting verse. You remain in our prayers for safe travels, hope your back is holding up. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have a wonderful trip Betsy, enjoy every moment with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you did well with the travels! The museum looks like a great place to stop and remember those that forged ahead so many generations ago-
    the verse is a good reminder for us even today. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is so cool to have the museum over the highway. Remember when they used to have Howard Johnson's and then I thinks MacDonalds? I think a museum is better! I saw Dennis's reflection in the one vignette of the diner. You look so healthy lately and it shows! Your hair is darling too! Have a great time....I know you will!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe you can catch that museum on the way home.

    Have a wonderful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Betsy, It sounds like you are having an interesting trip even though it is a long drive. Sounds like quite a museum. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pictures and I can feel your excitement in seeing family. Blessings and HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my, it was so wonderful to hear from you. i can't begin to tell you the times God has brought you to my mind during this trip and prompted me to pray for you. You didn't mention whether or not you were having back spasms, so I am going to believe that you are NOT and that you have made the trip very comfortably. By this time, you are with your sweet girls, and I am sure you are having a ball. That museum looks SO neat! It was such a beautiful picture of you, too. May the Lord bless your every moment with your loved ones and keep all well and safe at home. Sending much love to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like such a fun and interesting museum Betsy. Thank you for sharing.

    By now you should be with your family! Have a WONDERFUL time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy that you were able to take this trip before the cold and slippery roads of winter set in and I pray that the pain in your back will not flare up. That's a sweet photo of you and such a pretty dress. Have fun with your girls and have a safe trip.
    God bless you,
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember passing under that archway! I thought it was neat. Hopefully we will be back that way again and can stop long enough to go through the museum. Enjoy your time in Nebraska with family😊
    Peace,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete