Thursday, August 8, 2019

Happy Thursday!

Wow! Two posts in one week. How have I done that? Well, I’ve been home stuck inside because of the smoke.
Dennis and I took a drive up to the trailer last night because we were getting reports that ash was falling.  This is a photo of our grill cover at the lake. It was like snow flurries up there. Needless to say we only stayed about five minutes because we didn’t want to be inhaling all of this into our lungs.  Although we have smoke here in Spokane, so far there is no ash falling here at our house.

These were the billowing clouds of smoke we encountered as we drove towards the lake.

I haven’t watched the news today, but as of yesterday’s evening news, the firefighters hadn’t lost one structure. That is unbelievable to me considering the amount of acres that have been burned by this fire. Much of it is on the reservation and they’re trying to save the sacred spots too. So far they have been successful.
Edit to add: I just looked it up and this fire has consumed 34,200 acres as of 6:00 this morning.

I really don’t think our trailer is in any danger. It has been hovering around 100°F for the last three days, but we’re supposed to have a cool down this weekend with a possibility of rain.  Please join me in praying for the firefighters as they work 12 hour shifts in this horrendous heat and smoke.

Now to a more pleasant topic. Yarn! These are Mandy’s and Piper’s socks.  As I said in my last post, I will finish Piper’s while we’re visiting so I can be sure to get them at the right length. She is a growing girl you know! :-)

Some progress is being on the “Which-Way Filet Baby Blanket.”  I must confess, I have spent a lot of time reading a new book that I received last weekend instead of crocheting.

Alicia ordered me this America’s Test Kitchen cookbook off of Etsy. It goes through all seasons up to 2017. Am I the only one out there who loves to read cookbooks? I usually don’t end up making very many of the recipes, but I sure enjoy reading them. This is an unusual cookbook. Each recipe explains the science involved and why it is such a good recipe. I have barely even made a dent in reading it. This thing is huge. About 3 inches thick!

I hope you’re all having a good week. In reading blogs it seems like everyone is having a very busy summer.  

I’m looking forward to our road trip in September to visit our Omaha family. We will be there for Piper’s birthday. We’re also planning to make a quick two night/one day stop at the Black Hills and go to Mount Rushmore. We haven’t been there in years and we would really like to do the night lighting ceremony again.  Before we moved to Spokane, we went to the Black Hills every year for vacation and then on to Yellowstone National Park. I do miss those days when the kids were small and we did things like that as a family. I know you can never turn back time, but those were some really good times. We didn’t have much money, but that really didn’t matter on those trips.  In those days we could take a two-week camping vacation on less than $300! Isn’t that unbelievable?

“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”  Numbers 6:24-26

Blessings always,
Betsy

17 comments:

  1. Make sure Rushmore is open. They were closing it to clean and remodel some of the sites.I thought they said it was closed for the season! Love you can't wait for you to get here😜

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to read cookbooks too! The ash and smoke are terrible your way...hop you stay inside! :) Nice socks !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the socks and I'm happy that you get to drive to Omaha to spend Piper's birthday with her and all your family there. I bet you'll be looking at homes for sale there. So sorry about your fires. And the heat. We're staying at pretty moderate temps here, it's cloudy and cool here for the last few days. I think your blanket you're working on is pretty fun looking. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Which-Way Filet is beautiful. Please tell me that is variegated yarn! The thought of changing colors every two rows is a terror!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad there's less big fires near us but there's other fires around. It rained this a.m. which was unexpected! I'm glad you're going to Omaha and enjoy Piper's birthday. Oh the sox are nice. Laying down on couch after watching a short video online....I nearly fell asleep- early day at work. Need to.make dinner soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully, the skies have been clear of smoke: it's the first time in many years. Piper and Mandy will be excited to see you and to have matching socks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that your back is better that you can travel and enjoy seeing your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear Betsy, I happened to be over here making comments in embedded comment box blogs when yours came though so can do more than read. Wish blogger would change them all. Lots don’t know how to do it.
    Sorry you’ve fires, would you believe our fires for the season have started already, an hour and half south of us but on the mid north coast here.
    Love the socks they’ve turned out so very pretty, Mandy and Piper will be so thrilled.
    That’s a really pretty blanket, well done.. and good you’re read a book as well. I’m not a big reader of cookbooks. Used to be but have so many different food issues now, I tend to stick to same old same old. Can’t eat lots of basics like onion cabbage cauliflower broccoli capsicum or peppers you call them, and yes I love all of them. Are loads more, apples for example, love to bite into an apple. So hard some of them but better to avoid than the pain they give, believe me.
    Thanks for sharing, and being a blessing, prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS most certainly joining you in prayer for firefighters and praying for ours too, lots of land burnt all the poor wildlife, I’m glad God cares for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gave that cookbook to my son for Christmas last year and it is a BIG book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about the fires Betsy! I can't believe your pictures of the clouds and then all the ash falling!

    I don't crochet, but that blanket is so interesting. Love it.

    And, I, too, enjoy reading cookbooks. That one looks good!

    Nice socks for Piper and Mandy. Soon you will be seeing them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my, those fires sound just awful! I can't believe the amount of ash that is falling and sure do hate that it is keeping you from your lake home. It seems like this happens every, single summer, doesn't it? Those dear firefighters! Bless their dear hearts. People just don't realize how much they sacrifice and give to keep others and their belongings safe. It makes me furious when the police and other civil servants and military are so abused and vilely treated when all along they would lay down their lives at any moment to defend and protect the mean-spirited ones who are inflicting the abuse! Sorry to rant, but it is just so heavy on my heart. God bless you, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Take care of those lungs Betsy. Does a mask help?
    Love your mom /daughter socks SOOO much
    Hugs to you
    love kath

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying for all those in the fire's path. How horrible. Love seeing all your lovely work. I know you will love your up coming trip. Wishing you a most lovely day sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun socks! Sure hope the cloudy days have helped the fire fighting. We are so sorry Spokane is getting smoke; it was so clear there when we were in Coeur d'Alene and had to take our son the the airport. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The crocheted blanket is a neat twist on an old pattern--great job!
    I love the matching socks!
    Be careful from the smoke--I'll be praying for safety!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Betsy, we are having a thunderstorm! So unusual here. Just now I have loved visiting with you through your posts I missed while blissfully camping at Cape Lookout. I am so excited for you that you got to be with your family at the lake!!! The flashlights are perfect to fill the socks! Yay for the successful shots! Your latest knitting and crocheting is stellar! Elisabeth really likes the America's Test Kitchen recipes and I enjoy reading cookbooks, too. The trip plans for September sound wonderful! I was hoping this wildfire season would not be so bad...sigh...so sorry for the suffering. I helped out at the Global Leadership Video Summit held at our church the last two days...very inspiring stories of faithful folk combating social injustice in the world. Thanks for posting and sharing the verses! You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers with love. xx

    ReplyDelete