Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Gorgeous Sunshine

I am so sorry that most of you are in the grip of a horrible freeze with lots of snow. Meanwhile, so far we have enjoyed one of the most mild winters I can remember in Spokane. I took this picture out the back door about five minutes ago.

 Although it is not overly warm outside, I think it’s about 34°F right now, the sun is so bright and warm that everything has melted. Oh, it’s still on lawns and grassy areas, but the roads are all clear and most of it is gone off of roofs. I’m keeping all of you that are dealing with the bitter cold in my prayers. If you can, stay inside and stay warm.

I finished Dennis’s socks Sunday night. They have been in my knitting bag for almost 2 months! They were my carry along to doctors appointments and that was the only time I worked on them. Basically I had the cuffs done as of Friday morning and nothing else. I put my mind to it and finished them. He’s a happy guy as he loves to wear my hand knit socks inside his cowboy boots. Yes, we live in the west and my husband wears cowboy boots. If I had my way I would have him wearing a cowboy hat too, but so far he hasn’t found one he likes. He wore a cowboy hat the entire time we were dating and I loved it.. :-). He also looks great in jeans! :-) The socks sure look purple in this picture. They’re actually a deep, almost eggplant color. They look more blue than purple in real life.

Here is the yarn I used and the pattern was Petty Harbour which is free on (Ravelry).

Last night I also finished another square for my cozy memories nine patch blanket. I will start the border in cream around the square today.

On Saturday Dennis and I went and walked around the RV show for almost 3 hours! I’m counting that as a win. My back was stiff at the end of the day but I was able to do it. Last night however, it was on the verge of spasming again and I have no idea why. Every time I go for physical therapy or to see the actual doctor they ask if I’m getting better. I have no idea how to answer them. We did have a great time at the RV show. Although we have no plans to buy anything now, we like to look at the different floorplans and dream about what we want to do in retirement.

I put my Valentines decorations up today as it’s almost February!  The hearts are a free pattern on my friend Teresa Kasner‘s blog. You can find her over there on my side bar. They are very easy to crochet and she’s very generous in sharing the pattern.

My birthday is on Friday and the plan is to go out to dinner somewhere with Neal and Jenny.  I get to choose as that’s the tradition with the four of us. The birthday person gets to choose where we eat. I think I will choose a German restaurant here in town that I know both Neal and Dennis enjoy and we haven’t been there for a while.

I’ve also been doing quite a bit of reading. Right now I am re-reading some books I read almost 30 years ago when we still lived in Omaha. They are Frank Perretti‘s “Piercing the Darkness” and “An Ever Present Darkness”. I’m finding them quite applicable in light of the world we live in today. Our battle is not against flesh and blood, but about unseen forces in the world. I truly believe that.

I have a neat little book holder. Actually I have two of them. One holds regular size paperbacks and the other holds trade size paperbacks. The clear band that you see allows me to read without holding the book open. There are hinges on the back that you just pull one side of the book up and the page flips automatically. This makes it very easy to read books while I knit or crochet.

You can tell by the yellowed pages and the curled up corners that these books have been well read. Our entire family has read them and I’ve loaned them out to other people. Both of the books have been autographed by the author when we went to hear him speak years ago when we first moved to Spokane.  They are works of fiction, but they truly make you stop and think.  Every time I read them it reminds me how important prayer is.

Tonight is my appointment at the Apple Store. They are going to set the computer up for me and hopefully get it all ready to work. I’m excited. I am happy however, that my iPad has decided to cooperate again in blogging. It sounds like the whole photo issue was a Google problem. What I’m told is that they changed a setting a few weeks ago but they have now “fixed” it.  

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Stay warm, and in the case of my friends down under, stay cool!

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”  Ephesians 6:12

But then we have this verse.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in Heaven.” 
Matthew 5:14–16

Many blessings to you all my friends, 
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. Dennis' socks look so comfy and warm. I know he will sure appreciate them. I've added that pattern to my queue on Rav. I think I have the perfect blue yarn for them.

    We had a bit of snow this morning, but nothing that stuck. Tonight is supposed to be a different story. More snow is predicted and then we head into the DEEP FREEZE, but thankfully not for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo on Dennis' socks! They looked blue on my screen.. KnitPicks does make some very nice yarn. I just got 5 skeins of baby alpaca in "winter" colors which I will share in my blog post tomorrow. I'm looking for a fair isle knit patter for a beret. Any ideas? I'm so glad you're having a mild winter.. we sure are.. not ONE snowflake so far!! Weird. I hope your back stays unkinky! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some nice looking socks. I like the looks of that pattern. I will have to go investigate.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Betsy! Good luck at the apple store. I dont know why my comments are showing up as Firemans .They are mine!! The apple store can make me a bit wacky. Ours always feel like a disney line...first you sign in, then you go to this area, then you wait here, then you go with this person. I once told the store manager I'd rather sit in intensive care all day because the apple store is more overstimulating to me!!! GOOD luck . Hope you dont have that kind o f experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm told this is a mild winter in Laramie, too. What snow falls, blows around and soon it just melts or disintegrates. LOL snow removal is taken seriously though, and sidewalks and parking lots are scrapped frequently. Love the socks and your heart garland. I hung a heart wreath on my exterior door yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice socks! Petty Harbour is a great pattern, isn't it? Love your Valentine hearts, too. It's so odd that we are having such mild weather while everyone else is freezing.
    Makes me feel a little guilty! Looks like your cozy blanket is coming right along; are you using left overs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice view! It looks much warmer than here! Your socks are wonderful! My husband used to wear cowboy boots all the time, he still has two pair in the closet!
    Hope you have a good rest of the week:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice and cozy sox you made for Dennis. I enjoying my wool blend sox I bought a few weeks ago. Went back last week and there were 2 left on clearance. I bought them both. It was 🌞 here today as well. Loved to see the blue sky today. Chilly evening though. I've had issues with my Google photos lately so maybe it's cleared up too. Photos from my cell phone would be on there but lately I had to add them to Google photos while on my cell phone. Stay warm and may your back feel better soon. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad your weather is so mild. We are blessed with the same thing here, praise the Lord. I feel so bad for all who are being pounded with bad weather. And, how wonderful that you were able to walk for three hours! I trust your spasms will stop and you will feel much better, my friend. Happy birthday to you!!! May God bless it to be your best birthday and year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betsy,
    I’m glad you’re able to walk for three hours around the RV show, sorry though still not great back wise. I’ve read one of those books and they are good, very good to remind ourselves of the spiritual battle we fight, love the verses you used also, great socks and blanket too, lovely work!
    Hugs Shaz in Oz.x

    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}
    {Wonderful Words Of Life - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betsy, happy birthday! Those socks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep----we aren't nearly as cold as most places north of us --but for us here in TN, we are cold. It is about 19 degrees with a wind chill making it feel like 8 degrees... Think I'll stay inside today... Perfect time to sit by the fireplace!!!!!!

    Glad you are having good weather. We've had almost NO snow here (which I would love to see) --but it's been quite cold!!!

    Good Luck at the Apple Store..... We love all of our Apple devices...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Early Birthday! It's so like you to pick a place that you know others will enjoy, too. I had to smile when I read that. You truly are selfless. The socks are awesome. Nothing beats hand made socks. I think making socks for someone truly is a love gift. You spend all that time making socks, and they wear out quickly, but while they are in use, the wearer gets so much pleasure from them, it makes all that time worth it...totally. Prayers for your back sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The socks look beautiful, so warm and cosy. I love the colour, it reminds of the moor here in Summer ablaze with Heather. Wishing you a wonderful Birthday I rather like German food, particularly a Jagerschnitzel. It was a joy to read that you were able to walk around the RV show without pain. Such fun to read that you are making plans for your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're warmer than we are! It was 16 last night and only 24 this morning. It's supposed to warm up to 42 and by Sunday 66 and Monday 71....isn't that crazy? I'm at 24 and my daughter in Iowa is at -24.
    You did better than me...that's why Walmart does me in....those concrete floors.
    I'll have to look into those books. I've never heard of them. Happy Birthday week and what a beautiful job on Dennis's socks. Enjoy your outing with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very blessed and joy filled birthday to you today Betsy! You just happen to share a birthday with my best friend - she is a treasure just as you are! Love those socks and totally agree about a cowboy hat for your hubby. Hope all goes well with your Apple visit and that they're able to resolve the issue quickly. I love my MacBook and know you will too.
    Enjoy your special day and all this gorgeous sunshine.
    Blessings,
    Aimee
    PS: Psalms 121 is my favorite chapter too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Guess I moved onto February a bit early 😉Nevertheless, wishing you a GREAT birthday tomorrow, and you do remind me of my best friend whose birthday is today...
      Blessings,
      Aimee

      Delete
  17. Happy Birthday tomorrow Betsy. May you have a wonderful year, and hopefully a pain free one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love seeing your blue sky. Petty harbor is a pattern I've used - really like it, and yours turned out great! Good luck at the Apple store

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad that so many blessed you for your Birthday. That was an especially nice gesture from the cashier at Trader Joe's. Your knitted sweaters are lovely. Your family is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete