Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Finally better

Hello and happy Thursday to you all. I'm happy to say that the plague seems to be letting up around here. My cough is much, much better. Still there, but not bad. Dennis is better too, but coughing more than I am. Mom still sounds rough, but I made her and Dennis go to the doctor yesterday because I was worried about pneumonia for her. She doesn't have that, thankfully, but does have both ears infected and a sinus infection. She's now on an antibiotic and cough medicine. The doctor did say that we most likely had influenza B as it's everywhere right now. I truly appreciate the sweet thoughts and prayers that you all said for us. 

I finished Miss Piper's sweater and we had a photo shoot for you. Isn't she the cutest? She went to visit Grammy on Saturday and wore the sweater. It fits Grammy too and now she wants one! She already has 26 cardigans! I counted them when we moved her. That's how tiny my mother-in-law is! Piper likes the pockets and I made the sleeves a little longer that the pattern called for so hopefully it will fit for awhile!

I also made a blanket over the past week.  It's about 42 x 42 inches. I just used scraps of acrylic worsted weight from my stash and a size I crochet hook.  Its just a simple shell pattern with a chain foundation row between each color. The border is single crochet in all of the colors with a cream row between each color. It will be donated somewhere soon. I have quite a few baby blankets in my finished project totes. The hospital doesn't really need them, so I may check out a Mom/Baby center around here. 

This is another stash buster using some partial skeins I have. It will be a wheelchair blanket for the place Mom lives. Their memory care can use them, so I offered to make some. I just started with three, four round granny squares. I sewed them together and then just started doing the granny stitch round and round.  Starting with the three granny's makes them rectangular and they should end up the perfect size. I'm using a J hook for this one. Zoey is sleeping under the pink rainbow baby blanket on my lap. Yes, she has her own baby blankets. :-)

Dennis hauled this shelf down to the garage on Monday and painted it for me. He primed it Monday and painted it Tuesday. It made it's appearance back in the living room Wednesday. It used to be a black shelf that we got from Target years ago. In all of our moves it has gotten pretty scuffed up. I think it had originally been painted with just one coat of spray paint! 

He used the same paint as our baseboards and I think it looks great. Sunday night I had just mentioned to him that I was thinking about painting it and he was hauling it out early Monday morning! I have to be so careful what I ask for. He never lets "grass grow under his feet" and spoils me terribly. I had been looking on facebook marketplace for a white console but hadn't found anything in my price range that I liked and this was the perfect solution. It's like having a brand new piece of furniture. Those are Zoey's toy baskets on both sides of the shelf and our grandbabies on top. I adore those four kids.

Zoey spent a few hours playing with Lizzie on Saturday. They love each other so much. They sure sleep well after playing for a few hours. Neither of them move all night long. :-) I cut Lizzie's nails while we were there. Zoey had her manicure the day before and she was very concerned as to what I was doing to her sister. They both lay there quietly in my arms while I cut their nails and then dremel them, but they look at me with their eyes like I'm cutting their feet off. They're happy for treats when they are all done. Spoiled girls.

Yesterday I went to the crochet group at our old apartment where we crochet plastic mats for the homeless. I haven't been there for a couple of weeks since we've been sick. It was good to see all of the ladies. They are so sweet. One of them is 102 years old and is there every week, cutting plastic bags into strips for us to crochet. She doesn't crochet, but there is plenty for everyone to do. Cut the strips, tie them together and roll them into "plarn" balls to be crocheted into mats. All of them are well into their senior years and I enjoy their company immensely.

I was also able to go to my ladies Bible study group this morning for the first time since our trip. Mom had a doctor appointment the first week we were home and then we've been sick. It was so good to be back with the ladies. We're going through the book of John with BSF and other ladies all over the world. I've really enjoyed the study and have learned a lot.

Mom has an MRI and a cardiologist appointment on Friday, so that will be a busy day. I did make reservations for four nights of camping on the Oregon Coast in July. Fingers crossed that we'll actually be able to go. We're planning to spend a couple of weeks in Spokane just before going to the coast. We'll be staying in our friends driveway again. Lori called yesterday and told us their "resort" is open. Pool, laundry facilities and no leash rules because of they have a fenced yard. :-) Last year we stayed in their guest suite when we were there since Dennis had broken his hand. Oh, he went to the surgeon last Tuesday and was released to do whatever he wants now. Who would have thought a broken thumb would require two surgeries and nine months to heal? We're so glad that now he can start using it and build up strength in that hand/arm again.

I hope you're all having a great week. We've had beautiful weather for March so far. It's been so warm, in the 50's and 60's and only 20's at night. Such an usually warm winter so far. I don't want to jinx it though. I'll be back soon and I think I've finally caught up on all of your blog posts. See you again soon!

Blessings and love,
Betsy

13 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear you and Dennis both are doing so much better! That was a long siege, and I know you are glad to be back among "the living". Praying your MIL gets better quickly with the antibiotics helping her. Is she feeling more settled now in her new place? Oh, I LOVE the sweater on Piper! It is beautiful! I love the color and the style! She is one blessed young lady to have a grandma making such wonderful things for her! And no wonder your MIL wanted one too! I would be saying the same thing if I were there! The little blanket is beautiful too. You are SO talented! And I love the shelf unit...it looks very nice indeed. Doesn't it feel good to have something restored and/or renewed? It makes it feel like a new place! That's how I am feeling since we got this new to us dresser in our bedroom. I feel like I'm in a new bedroom when I walk in there! Oh my, you are already planning trips for the summer! How wonderful to be able to do that! We talk about trips but never do them, unless our kids go along and help out with the driving. Hubby just doesn't like driving anymore any distance, so we just stay close to home and dream about trips. But we are thankful to be where we are and God has provided so much for us to enjoy right here. Oh, I know you were glad to get back to your Bible study, etc. The fellowship of other ladies is so precious, and then when you are studying God's Word together, that makes it perfect. I also love the project you do for the homeless. That is really special. Well, I must say I enjoyed my visit here today. I love the picture of the two doggies together. Are they litter mates? They remind me of our Grandpups, Sugar and Spice. They are inseparable, even though they sometimes "fight" like sisters, it's all in love and play and they truly would be lost without each other. They are such good girls, and they love to come to Grandma and Grandpa's house! Well, I woke up late this morning and I need to get a move on, so I hope you have a lovely day. Praise God you are so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piper looks so cute in her sweater - very pretty color. Glad you are all beginning to heal and glad that your MIL is now on some meds. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are on the mend! It is getting hard to bounce back from such an illness like flu! Piper looks great in the new sweater--great job! The blankets are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to hear you are feeling better! I've escaped the bugs so far this season but my allergies are killing me from the early spring here.
    That sweater is lovely. I can't believe how fast Piper has grown up. Time does fly.
    I love seeing your two "girls". Pup HATES getting her nails trimmed also. You'd think I was killing her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed your other post so I'm sorry to hear you were sick but glad to hear you're improving. I'm currently fighting another cold - my second this year so far... almost makes me wish we could go back to lock down when everyone stayed home and kept their germs to themselves!

    Piper's cardigan looks fabulous - it's such a classic design. She'll be able to wear it for a long time as long as she doesn't sprout too much. I certainly didn't expect it of my nieces, but both are close to six feet tall now!

    Both afghans are beautiful. It makes me want to crochet one, but I'm already drowning in quilts over here - I don't need any more blankets - no matter how pretty!

    That's a perfect pic of the pups! What a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to know that you and Dennis are feeling much better now 😀. Adorable Piper with the sweater you made her. It's been cold lately but finally more sun 🌞. Freezing 2 nights. I'm thankful Megan is feeling better. I hope to meet you at the Oregon coast in July. It would be great to see you and Dennis again. Praying for your continued healing and your mom. God bless, Becky 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that both you and Dennis are on the mend at last.
    Piper looks so grown up and so pretty wearing her new sweater. You are a fast knitter!!!
    The verses from Romans are some of my favourite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are better and got some crocheting done. My friend gave me some yarn and pattern to a scarf that she wore to Bible study. Its called an Old Shale Stitch Crochet Scarf. Her scarf was gorgeous and I knew I needed that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good news that you feel better. I am still coughing. That is one beauty of a sweater on the pretty Piper, love that color! Good news about Dennis being able to use his hand now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray you're well again! Good for you. And you've been able to get to all your meetings with your favorite ladies, and finished Piper's lovely sweater, and made some beautiful blankets. Whew. You are busy. Hope you're all feeling just peachy soon! Take good care. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! How happy I am to read you are finally feeling better, my friend?! That cough hangs on! Piper's sweater is beautiful! Have a cozy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Betsy, another Omaha resident here who found you awhile ago when searching for knitting and crochet blogs. Have you considered contacting Bethlehem House https://www.bethlehemhouseomaha.org/? They might love some of your beautiful creations. Thanks for showing your knitting and crochet projects, they make me want to learn more than the basic stitches I know. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Betsy, I followed here from Billie Jo’s blog. Your needlework is beautiful. Love your blessed furbaby(s) and that they get manicures.
    Glad to hear you’re feeling better.
    I go to BSF, too! Great study this year🩵
    I’ll be seeing you~
    Mary in OK

    ReplyDelete