Thursday, March 28, 2024

Maunday Thursday

Today is Maunday Thursday, which is the day that Jesus had the last Passover supper with his disciples in the upper room before he was betrayed by Judas. It is a very solemn day in Christianity. Our church used to have a Maunday Thursday service, but unfortunately the tradition has died away in many areas. This is the beginning of a very solemn Thursday night, Friday and Saturday before the big celebration of the Risen Savior, Jesus Christ on Resurrection Sunday!

We had a funeral this morning for a lovely lady from our church. Sherry was only 75 years old, and a young 75 at that. She found out five weeks ago that she had liver cancer and she passed away last Saturday night. The funeral was a lovely time of remembering with her family and friends. But ladies, because it’s mostly ladies who read my blog, don’t ever let anyone say there is nothing wrong with you when you feel something is “off.” Sherry hadn’t felt well for an over a year and had gone from doctor to doctor and they all told her it was in her head.  By the time they found the cancer, it had metastasized from her liver and was already in her brain. Why do they do this, to women especially? The only thing good about this is that we all know where she is right now and that we’ll see her again someday. She was a wonderful lady, and will be very missed. 

I have been busy this week knitting and crocheting. I started another wheelchair blanket on Tuesday and finished it on Wednesday. I’m very happy with the way it turned out. I think it will be a cheerful addition to someone’s daily life. It hasn’t been washed or blocked yet but you get the idea. 😍 The size is 34“ x 46“.

I finished the two sweaters for “Baby J”, who turned two yesterday! Can you believe it? This one looks pink, but it’s really a very beautiful shade of soft lavender. I could not get it to turn out lavender, no matter what I did with my camera.

This one is pretty true to color, but is a bit blurry. Sorry about my photos today. We’ve had a pretty dreary week. Today is finally bright and full of sunshine but these sweaters were mailed off to London on Monday, so I couldn’t retake pictures.

I also crocheted three washcloths out of Hobby lobby’s  I love this Cotton, in the color “Too Pink.”



Maybe you remember that when we were on our way home from the cruise in January, we stopped in San Antonio, Texas, and had lunch with a wonderful lady named Terri and her husband. Terri has a YouTube channel named “Yarnjoy”. I’ve watched her since her first video several years ago. She gave me this journal that has a dots cover. I spent an afternoon working on this on Tuesday and I think it turned out beautifully. Thank you again, Terri! Dennis and I had such a lovely time with you and your husband. I truly do wish we lived closer together and could spend time with each other. The cute card that she sent me is next to it. How appropriate is a skein of yarn for me?

We had dinner last night with Mom at her Assisted Living. It was delicious. We had roast beef, baked potato, and mixed vegetables. For dessert, there was strawberry shortcake. I neglected to take a photo before we had demolished our plates of food! Ha! We have zero regrets about moving her to this new facility. Although there have been a few hiccups with the move, none of them have had anything to do with Parsons House. They have been wonderful to Mom and to us. Change is not easy when you’re dealing with dementia. Things seem to be doing a bit better, but we take it day to day and sometimes hour by hour.

I am praying that you all have a wonderful Resurrection weekend, remembering the reason for the celebration. Jesus came to earth, he lived a sinless life and died to redeem us from all of our sins so that someday we can live in heaven with him. I hope each and everyone of you will accept that most precious gift that has been given to us. The gift of salvation. Much love to you all!

Blessings and love,
Betsy

10 comments:

  1. "Maunday Thursday, which is the day that Jesus had the last Passover supper with his disciples in the upper room before he was betrayed by Judas."

    He is the Passover lamb. Thanks for mentioning it was Passover.

    I am sorry to hear about your friend. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Heaven to your friend. Life goes on Have a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. May you find peace in your memories of her.

    Glad Dennis' mom is doing well in her new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My but you have been busy knitting and crocheting. The tiny sweaters for Baby J are so cute. So is the journal cover that you made. The pattern is beautiful.
    It's sad about your friend who wasn't taken seriously by her doctor.
    It's good to know that your Mom is settling into her new place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, even though we know it isn't a true "loss", as she is rejoicing today in heaven with Jesus, but the loss is to you and her family, who will dearly miss her here. That is a sad story about how no doctor could diagnose her illness in time. Oh, I love the baby sweaters...so precious and soft and cuddly! I am sure you wish you could cuddle the baby in those sweaters too! Wow. Oh, that lap afghan is beautiful You do such lovely work. What a gift. I am glad to hear your MIL is doing better now in her new home. Praying that will continue. I know how difficult that is, but yes, you have done the right thing. The meal sounds delicious too! I hope you and yours will have a blessed Easter. We don't have a Maundy Thursday service here either, but we will have a Good Friday service tomorrow night. This week is so very very significant in our life as believers in Christ. Too many just don't realize all that Jesus sacrificed on our behalf. We are truly blessed to be His children. (((hugs))) and peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Blessed Holy Thursday to you and Dennis. I'm sad that your church and some churches have stopped Holy Thursday services. We just got home from ours and it was so wonderful. Tomorrow will be our Good Friday services. May you and your family have a beautiful and Blessed Easter celebration. I love those little sweaters you made....so darling and love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, I understand what you're saying about your friend that passed on but I have a question. Do you believe that our days are numbered? I've always thought that we have a number of days allotted to us. That we can make them better my taking care of ourselves or we can make them worst with bad choices, but that we can't add or subtract from them. Maybe I'm wrong I would be interested in your thoughts. If you have verses concerning this I would love your sharing them with me.
    We have Good Friday service and Easter Sunday service. I remember Easter Sunrise Service followed by breakfast, but haven't been in a church that's done that since I was a kid. Sounds wonderful!
    God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for the loss of your friend. Cute sweaters for Baby J. Can't believe she is 2!! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can baby J be two already! The sweaters are beautiful! Blessings to you and Dennis on Easter morning when he is risen! My sympathy on the loss of your friend, we can never have too many friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did have a great weekend, thank you ! I'm glad you had a good time! The sweaters are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete