Friday, March 22, 2024

A Zoo-riffic Birthday to Hope!

Happy One Year Birthday to baby Hope the giraffe! Piper was on spring break this week so we took her to the zoo on Tuesday, the warmest day of the week. It was a perfect zoo day with temperatures right around 66F. We wandered through the aquarium and the jungle before making our way to our main attraction for the day. We wanted to wish Hope a Happy Birthday. There was a constant stream of well wishers through the giraffe house where Hope was greating each person with a smile and look of contentment. Just look at her!  

Our zoo, The Henry Doorly Zoo was voted the best zoo in the United States for the second year in a row. Whoo-hoo!!  We are all, (Omaha people), so proud of the zoo. I remember going to the zoo as a little girl on fieldtrips with my class every year of grade school. It is a beautifully kept zoo and all of the animals seem very healthy and happy. We never walk the entire zoo in one trip. We have a membership and can go as often as we want. We just pick an area or two to visit each time, although we almost always go through the aquarium and jungle. The butterfly house is also a favorite.

The above was her birthday poster but I took all of the remaining photos in this post.
She's just too cute for words.

She looked like she was showing everyone just how coordinated and beautiful she is as she strolled around her home.  There were four more adult giraffes outside in the big paddock where you can see them run and eat the leaves on trees. :-) When Hope and the other teenage giraffe get a bit older and can withstand the temperature changes better, they will join the adults outside.

Pipers favorite is the aquarium where her beloved sea turtles swim so effortlessly through the water.


There all all kinds of stunningly beautiful jellyfish.

These are my favorites and they are really a flourescent purple in color.

Piper loves the aquarium where the fish, sharks, sting-rays and turtles swim right over your head and all around you.

Lots of sharks are in the tank. It's kind of eerie when they swim over your head.

Mr. Sting-ray always looks like he's smiling at me when we visit. How can something this cute be poisonous?

This guy just lay there completely still as we watched him for awhile. He looks like a grumpy old man, but he did have some pretty colors on his jet black scales! How do you like those lips? :-)

This is my other favorite. Honestly, I could sit and watch these penguins all day, but Piper is always itching to get to the sea turtles around the corner! These kids are so funny and hilarious to watch. It "snows" in their house every so often, but best of all is when they are fed. It's fun to watch them eat.

The monkeys in the jungle were busy swinging all over the place. This guy was a LOT bigger than he looks in this picture.

These three were content just to sit and watch the people watching them. Just who is in the zoo anyway?

I have no idea what this bird is but I thought it's wings were pretty. It was way up high in the tree when it spread it's wings so prettily for me.

If you don't like bats, close your eyes now. There were literally hundreds and hundreds of these bats hanging out and flying around our heads. I'm fascinated by them but don't like them much, even though one has never landed in my hair. We had them at the lake in Washington. At dusk you could see them swooping and flying through the air around the campground.

Piper and her puppy Lizzie, both spent the night on Tuesday after we went to the zoo. Well, Wednesday she decided she wanted to stay at our place another night. I had Bible study Wednesday morning, but when I got home I grabbed Piper and we went to Taco Bell for lunch before going yarn shopping at JoAnn's. I needed some acrylic yarns for my charity knitting. They are having a fantastic sale this week. I bought about $150.00 of yarn for $80.00 with the sale prices and coupons. I usually do that about once a year at the beginning of the year to stock up a little bit. It really was a GREAT sale!

Yesterday, (Thursday), we spent a lot of time plaing Rummikub with Papa and then a few games of UNO. By then this little girl was missing her Mama and decided to go home just before dinner about 5:30. When we got home, the house was so quiet without her and Lizzie. Zoey was exhausted from all of the playtime. Both of those dogs love Piper and let her dress them up and carry them around like babies. No one else can carry them like that, but Piper can do anything with them. 

Here's Lizzie, all tired out and sleeping in Zoey's bed. Zoey was on my lap sleeping too. :-)

I did get Baby J's pink sweater finished and also finished the sleeves on this purple one a few minutes ago. I just need to put the button band and edging on and it will be finished. Her second birthday is next month but I don't think they'll arrive on time with the mail service the way it is.

We went to the fish fry again tonight at a local Catholic church. This was our third week going to the dinner with two other couples that we've known forever. And I mean since we were teens! Now we're in our mid 60's to 70's! Lots of history. This church feeds well over 1000 people every Friday night during Lent. The food is delicious, the company is great. Everyone is very, very friendly and so welcoming. Tonight was the last night and I'll miss it. After dinner the six of us went to Coldstone Creamery for ice cream. I forgot how expensive it is there. We haven't been to Coldstone for 5-6 years, since when we lived in Spokane.

Take care everyone and I'm sorry if I bored you with zoo photos. We had such a great time with Piper this week for three days and two nights. I don't want her to grow up and go to middle school next year. Is there a way to keep her 11 and in 5th grade longer? She loves her Papa and Grandma and enjoys being with us. I don't want that to end.  :-) Plus, I know as she becomes a teenager her social life will get much busier. I guess that's part of life isn't it?

Blessings and love,
Betsy

18 comments:

  1. How fun to see all your pictures of the zoo. The animals looked great, except maybe the bats, but at least you didn't post any snake pictures! Thank goodness. Everybody has their favorite animal at the zoo. So nice that you can go whenever you like and see the things you want without having to walk thru the whole zoo. Wow....that new baby in your family is almost 2! I love the sweaters you make for her. We love playing games when we all get together too. Thanks for another great post, Betsy. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice to spend quality time with your grandson. Fortunately you have realized that time flies. Something that almost everyone doesn't realize when their children are growing up, but they do with their grandchildren. I wish you to be strong and always have such beautiful quality time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice time you and Dennis had with Piper at the zoo. Fun times! It is raining here today...most likely ALL day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for showing all the photos that you took at the zoo. I love watching the penguins at our zoo too. I know Piper will always treasure her time with you and Dennis:) She's a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Zoo photos! That baby giraffe is just too cute for words. We used to have a lot of bats here but I can't think of the last time I've seen one. That's not a good sign, I suppose. Now jelly fish, I can do without but I do appreciate their beauty. I've been stung one too many times to be on friendly terms with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwwwwwwww.....Hope is adorable.

    I can't believe how grown up Piper looks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so fortunate that you had good weather on the day you were planning to take Piper to the zoo. It really looks like the best zoo! That baby giraffe is just so cute.
    When you haven't been to an ice cream shop ( or any other for that matter) the increased prices are astounding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a fun time you had with Piper at the Zoo and also at home. What a treat to have her stay over with you and have so much time together. What a blessing. Love the lavender sweater for Baby J. So sweet and soft. I enjoyed all the pictures and the stories too. Sounds like you are enjoying a good springtime! The fish fry sounds good too! Take care and enjoy your spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun outing for you and Piper! I love that Zoo, we took our Grands there too when they were little!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The zoo visit photos are very good to see. I remember seeing a fish 🐟 that was staying one place at Seaside aquarium a few years ago. Piper is a beautiful girl and I'm glad she lives close to you. Such is life as we all get older day by day. I've remembered about our children when they were younger. Good memories though and both are adults whom I still love and care for. ❤️ Baby J gets another grandma made sweater. I'm 1" shy of my right front on my sweater before I have to decrease some rows. Megan's experiencing pain today but hope it goes away soon. Phil's been at Game Storm convention from Thursday thru Saturday night 🌙. He's had a good time but I miss him even though he does come home at night as it's in Portland, close to Columbia River. Have a good weekend my friend!! ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last year I won 4 passes to the Columbus Zoo as a door prize raffle at the Ohio Genealogy Conference. I invited my youngest daughter and her two children aged 7 and 4. It was a wonderful experience and we all enjoyed it so much. I had not been to a zoo since my children were in elementary school and never to a zoo this large. I loved the giraffes! They were just so wonderful and they had great viewing areas. My favorite was the flamingos. I realized I had never seen them in person and the color is just indescribable. - the most beautiful color I have ever seen. Our four year old still talks about the cheetah and his speed. How lucky you are to have a zoo so close that you can visit often. We had a four hour round trip but it was worth every minute.
    The sweaters for Baby J are just precious and when she wears them, she will be surrounded with your hugs! And what a deal you got on the yarn!
    I have been lamenting how fast our grands are growing up too. We have had babies here to take care of for the past eleven years. That is a long time! The youngest are now 5 and 4. The five year old will start kindergarten in another town next year and our four year old will be in the pre-k class at our nursery school which is from 8:30 am to 2 pm, four days a week. We are going to be so lonely without them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you had a wonderful time with Piper at the zoo! I haven't been to the zoo in a long time; I need to remedy that! The baby sweater is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun trip! That looks like an AWESOME zoo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed all your pictures of the zoo with Piper - so many incredibly unique and amazing creatures that the Lord has created for us! Think of the work it takes to keep them all alive too, incredible. Piper is so special, and she loves you all so much, I know that bond will never change, even as she gets older. She is a precious girl! We got some snow here this morning, but now the sun has come out, and it is just a beautiful day. Amazing how the weather can change so quickly in an hour or two! So glad that you have special friends to enjoy doing things with - fish suppers are wonderful! Many blessings to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, the zoo pictures were wonderful! I would love to see baby Hope in person. Piper is growing up so fast. She sure is a cutie and so very sweet. The baby sweater is adorable. You make the most beautiful sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your photos. I don't go anywhere so I love feeling like I am getting out when I visit your blog. Was Chloe your other dog? I don't remember a Lizzie...is that a new dog or am I just getting forgetful! LOL! I thought Chloe and Zoey were sisters.
    The zoo pictures were wonderful! What a fun time you have with Piper. I know, Grayson is in Middle school now but he's still a young boy and hasn't really changed yet but Sam is a sophomore in hs and he is more a young man. I think puberty is what really changes them.
    Your sweater looks beautiful. You are such a talented knitter. Enjoy the nice weather and thanks so much for the beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Chloe was our golden lab that died a few years ago, just before we left Spokane. Lizzie is Piper's dog. She is out of the same litter as our Zoey. They love to play together.
      Happy Easter!
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  17. What a fabulous post! I enjoyed your photos and the updates you shared. Life does change as children grow. I miss the preschool and elementary days a lot. Enjoy Easter! Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete