Monday, October 25, 2021

Busy Weekend

Did you all have a good weekend? We sure did. It was busy and full of fun too.  Miss Piper had no school on Friday because of teachers meetings. I picked up Lizzie, their puppy, from the vet around noon and brought her to our house. She had had her third set of shots. She and Zoey  played all afternoon. Mandy and Piper came for dinner Thursday night and then Piper and Lizzie got to spend the night with grandpa and grandma! That was fun. Piper and I did a little shopping on Friday and grandpa got to watch both of the puppies while he worked! For his sake we weren’t gone very long. 😍

Then on Saturday, Melanie, Dennis and I took a day trip to the Kansas/Nebraska state line. There is a church that was built right on the state line and that is where our grandparents on our Dad’s  side and an aunt and uncle and cousins are buried.
It has been 40 years since I’ve been to the cemetery. It was February 1979 to be exact, when my grandma was buried. I knew approximately where the graves were, but thankfully this little cemetery out in the middle of nowhere has a list mounted on a little building showing you name, plot, date of birth, death and where the people were born! How wonderful for genealogists. Over 40 headstones in the cemetery had our maiden name of Saathoff on them. It is a tiny, tiny cemetery and I would say maybe a third of the headstones where our family. The first one below are my grandparents

This is my dad‘s brother and his wife. My Aunt Joyce just died a couple of years ago. Uncle Ernie, Aunt Joyce and their kids are the ones we were closest to when we were growing up.

They had two little stillborn babies, Ricky and Jay. 
Cindy was my sister Melanie‘s age and Cathy was just 11 days younger than me. We had lots of fun together growing up. 

Here is Dennis walking Zoey in front of the little church. It was a cloudy and windy day but not too cold.

I finished our grandson Caleb‘s socks. These will be part of his Christmas gift. He’s 14 and I thought a pair of wool socks would be great for when he goes snowboarding, which is quite often since they live near a ski resort. That little ball is all that was left of two skeins of Patons Woodsie. This is the first time that Patons has disappointed me. Usually I have quite a bit left over when making a pair of socks using two skeins. This time I did the heels in a black yarn because I knew there was no way I would have enough.

Now, I have barely started a pair of wrist warmers using the pattern “Cloudburst” by Arienne Grey. It’s a charted pattern and I detest charts, but I’m going to give it a try anyway. These will be for our 16-year-old granddaughter Kyleigh.

I’m still working away on the prayer shawl too, in between other projects.

I delivered the bag of mittens to a local school this morning. They were so excited! I also had five hats included in K-3rd grade size. She’s hoping I’ll continue to make them for next year.

Mandy’s going to kill me for posting this picture because she has her glasses on and her hair back but I thought I would show you that Brad really does exist. He’s just been working out of town for the past two years and only home for sporadic weekends. He was here this weekend and they took this quick picture to send to a family friend. I think it’s a great picture of all of them but of course she doesn’t like it. We never like pictures of ourselves do we?

And here’s another photo of our little Zoey sitting on Piper‘s lap when she was here last week. According to the vet there are just 2 ounces in weight difference between Lizzie and Zoey, but Zoey still looks huge next to her.

I hope you’re all having a blessed day I’m enjoying each and every moment that God has given us here on this earth. Take care of yourselves. I know many of you are in the process of getting the Covid booster and or flu shots. Make sure and get lots of rest.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

14 comments:

  1. I love visiting cemeterys and even better if visiting family. How wonderful they have the diagram at this cemetery. That would make my genealogy so much easier. I bet the elementary school was thrilled with the mittens! What a wonderful work of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly did have a full weekend. Always lots of family things to do. In between you can always knit and watch Zoey. Life is full.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing that you were able to visit the cemetery with your sister. I think it’s nice the cemetery records more than just names and death dates for everyone buried there. Zoey is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did have a busy weekend! For some odd reason only known to them my family some how decided to bury themselves in different cemeteries all over the DC area. I've lost track of where they all are. When my grandmother was alive she used to take us to visit and clean up the sites but I've even lost track of where she is now. No one ever wrote down where everyone is. The only one I do know for sure is my uncle who picked a plot right next to a gas station and right across the street from the Christmas shop we always go to near Annapolis. Why he picked a gas station to be buried at I'll never know. I will always remember the faces of the folks pumping gas while we were holding his full military funeral right next to them. It was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fun to see both of Piper's parents! Nice looking group! How wonderful that you got to visit a family cemetery. That looks like a pretty church...the tower looks interesting! Boy that was really cutting it close with the yarn for the socks...good thing you did the heel in a different color! How wonderful that you took mittens to a school! That was so kind of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were BUSY!

    In the little town of Pine Grove, PA 70% of the families that live there have my maiden name. The phone book (and yes, they still print one there) is full of us. Mountain people tend to stay put I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How very well organised! We usually have to hunt for the graves we are looking for when we (my sister and I) go out doing Family History research in the UK. They do have records in the churches but you have to see the vicar/priest and request it all beforehand. Very time consuming! What a lovely little church. Gorgeous photo of Mandy and family! You are quite right we never like photos of our ourselves and that is why I am usually who takes the photos LOL! Lovely socks and the black heels goes very well with the rest of the yarn. keep well. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Socks look stunning sis, well done on beating Patons shortfall, I think you should let them no now.
    They won’t know if people don’t tell them, you’re really doing them a favour as that makes them look bad, and an unhappy customer is not good for them.

    Love your other photos, amazing family history we have nothing like that in our family but probably a dozen in the historical part of a cemetery I visited over on tablelands a few years back.

    I pray for your government, appreciate your prayers for ours, when the people put God put of the way, then they wonder why things go wrong. We are a sinful people. Praying on sis, best we can do.

    Thanks for Sharing, God bless and keep you safe, and all those you love, prayer hugs Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's was a little graveyard like that not to far from Mom's place, that has quite a few Keeps (My Dad's maternal grandfathers family). I say was, because it's a lot bigger than it used to be! Some of the graves go back to the 1700s.

    The socks looks great, and I have no doubt you can tackle Cloudburst!


    The picture of the little family is wonderful, and of course, zoey is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seeing Piper and your sweet little doggie Zoey! I had a very lovely weekend full of choir singing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find it comforting to visit my ancestors, too, at the cemetery. I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the photo of Mandy and her family is just beautiful. That must be so difficult to be apart so much. I am so thankful you had a wonderful weekend and trust your week is going wonderfully, too, sweet friend. God bless you and your family always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mandy is beautiful...that is a great picture of them all. You are amazing. I think about the children who will wear and appreciate the mittens and hats. You stay so busy I don't know how you find the time to knit so many pretty things. Little Zoey is so cute! So is Piper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you had a good weekend! My aunt and uncle B. had triplet girls that died years ago. SAD! I like Mandy and family photo! Piper looks alot like her. I am glad your husband is able to be with them at times. Almost sounds like the military, but it's not. I like the sox you made. I have merino wool sox that keep my feet cozy that Phil bought me for my birthday this year!! Looks like we are going to get more rain and wind today and tomorrow. NO power outage at the farm where I worked on Sunday as it was quite the breeze and rain early afternoon. Take care my friend! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete