Friday, August 13, 2021

Home Again!

We are back home! I apologize for not posting sooner, but we were so busy all of our time in England. As soon as we were out of quarantine we took off exploring and didn’t stop until our feet touched the ground in Omaha again. We had an absolutely wonderful time. Are you ready for photo overload? The pictures I’m showing you today were all taken on the same day. On our first day out of quarantine we went to Stonehenge, the Salisbury Cathedral and the Winchester Cathedral. I’ll try to keep the comments to a minimum and just tell you where we are with each photo. I think the dark clouds lent an air of mystery to Stonehenge, don’t you? As you can tell by my hair, it was quite windy that day.



The sheep were right behind us when we took the two above photos at Stonehenge. A knitter can’t leave out photos of sheep can she?

We parked about a mile away and hiked up the road behind Stonehenge so as to avoid all of the tourist crowds.

Here we are in Salisbury at the Salisbury Cathedral. It has the distinction of having the tallest spire in England. It is a stunning church both inside and out.

And here we are with Alex being silly. His face reflects his feelings about that tall spire! Ha!

The inside is amazing. Masks weren’t required at a lot of places, but we tried to be respectful and wear them anytime we were indoors.


Isn’t it stunning?

And here we are at the gates leading out into the town High Street.

A beautiful little stream running through the middle of town. It always amazes me to see so many people out walking when we visit.

Then it was on to Winchester where we visited the Winchester Cathedral. We couldn’t go inside because of the concert that was taking place, but we did get some lovely photos of the outside.



One of the things I love about England is it’s beautiful gardens. Winchester was no different. Isn’t this lovely?

This is Keats Riverwalk and we strolled along a portion of it.

I love this picture of my two guys. Their pose is almost the same. We had such a great time with Alex.

Lunch was at a pub where we ate outside under umbrellas. The food on entire trip was amazing.

And that was the end of day one out of quarantine. We sure packed a LOT into that day and all of the others too. The best part was spending time with our kids. 

I am sorry for not posting more often, but we wanted to spend every second possible visiting. It had been 21 months, almost two years, since we had last seen Alex because of COVID, and we were determined to spend every second we could with him. Thank you for being patient and also for worrying about us.

I’ll stop here and give your eyes a rest before our next outing in the next post! πŸ˜€ I hope you’re enjoying the pictures.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo of you and your husband, too! Your photos are just wonderful. I am sure you enjoyed every single second in England together. So glad you were able to take this trip. Great memories and you will look back at these pictures often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. I loved seeing the gardens in various places that we visited when we lived in England years ago. I'm glad you had a good time with Alex. I love sheep too πŸ‘ not baaa-aaddd!!πŸ˜‚ we're looking forward to our upcoming trip. I decided to gather items and placed in a Target bag in dining room that need to take. Small things in one place to remember to take with us. It's been hot the last 2 days. But thankfully we had some clouds and haze which didn't make the plants wilt like last time. Thank you Lord!! Enjoy your time resting a bit after your safe trip home. Hugs and welcome back to USA. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ’—πŸ°πŸ˜€Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so jealous! Those are all places I hope to go one day! I don't blame you at all for not posting! I'm glad you made the most of every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys look so happy and well rested. Yay for getting free to roam about and visit all the cool places. Thank you for sharing all the lovely photos with us. So glad everyone had a great time. Wishing you a happy weekend sweet friend full of many blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved looking at your pictures. Looks like you had good weather too. The dark clouds over Stonehenge definitely do add a mysterious atmosphere. The picture of you and your husband is such a lovely one. Deserves to be framed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogging can wait, family is much more important. I loved your first free day of touring England. Such amazing things to see. Glad you are safely home, stay safe Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful trip! It is such a beautiful place. Whenever I see photos of that part of the world I want to curse my ancestors who got on that boat. I am so much more cut out for rural country life in merry old England than I am here. It's just too darn hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photos! I’ve always wanted to visit England - my paternal grandmother was English.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive and Stonehenge brings back so many memories. I took Sr P to Stonehenge way back in 1972 on a day excursion. So many lovely lovely photos Betsy which do make feel rather homesick. Great photo of you and Dennis! Looking forward to your next post. keep well Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Home!! I was thinking about you a lot. Looks like you and Dennis had a FABULOUS time. Can't wait to see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the second or third time I've looked at your pictures. How beautiful! Just love the pictures of you and Dennis, and Alex is your son. Is that correct? And what a fine looking son! I have always dreamed of going to England. I would move there! Everything is so beautiful. You all look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got back home safely. What wonderful pictures....I'd love to see all those things! Can't wait to see more of your pictures. You probably heard about all the flooding from storms in Omaha while you were gone. Hope your neighborhood didn't get the flooding! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos. I can't wait to see the rest of the trip.

    BTW ...the photo of you and Dennis by the river is so nice. You should frame that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you are back home safe and sound! Wow you took some awesome photos, that Cathedral is so pretty...wow! Sounds like you enjoyed your visit, I hope you can go again sooner than 21 months!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was at university at Winchester - I used to go to morning services in the cathedral sometimes. It's an amazing place. Do you know the story of the "Winchester Diver", who saved the cathedral from collapsing: https://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/our-heritage/famous-people/william-walker-the-diver-who-saved-the-cathedral/

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my friend, I am so happy you saw Stonehenge and the sheep!. I have seen Salisbury Cathedral twice. Mollie and I had a picnic lunch on the lawn then when Randy and I went we went inside.
    Winchester Cathedral is beautiful also. The interior is breath-taking.
    What a lovely day you had
    blessings and HUGS
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi dear Betsy, well didn’t that go ever so quickly?
    I was not worried by your silence after quarantine post, as I have been in London to visit family who are now in Norway… and remember well how crammed full days were, it was good that you were there after they’d finished lockdown as you’d not seen anything, God was very good to you. Seen the stones and Salisbury cathedral too.
    Loved it as it’s one of few paces that has the original copy of Magna Carta think there are five and I’ve seen four from memory.

    Love the verse you’ve chosen I’ve actually illuminated verse 11 and the unite our heart to fear Thy name is prayer I often pray for couples that they’ll be one United in Christ alone.

    Am so glad to see your smiling faces with Alex. God is good in the way He blesses you flying after so long not able to, glory to His name for His mercies endureth forever!

    Thanks for Sharing, God bless and keep you safe, and all those you love, hugs Shaz in Oz.x

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always been amazed at how big and expansive churches were when they built them in previous centuries. After researching family church histories, I know the 'why' of their choosing to build big (much like today's mega churches), but wow, that was a lot of effort way back before the construction inventions that made things easier. // Seeing Stonehemge in person must have been so interesting!! Haha re: Alex's expression about the church spire. πŸ˜† // What a beautiful area in the center of the town. I love places that are peaceful like that. So glad you guys all had such a wonderful time together!! Blessings to you, my friend!! And MORE photos please!! lol ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  19. We knew you were having a wonderful time!!! The scenes are great through your eyes-thanks for sharing and WELCOME HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  20. More more more. I am so happy you were with your son !!!! It is fantastic. Missed you but knew you were having a great time

    ReplyDelete
  21. No need to apologize for not posting, I know how it is to see kids infrequently and am happy for you all πŸ˜‰ Loved seeing your pix of England! I have been watching a TV show filmed there and have fallen in love with the beauty of the landscape there.
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Daisy - so lovely to walk with your around the places we know and love so well. I sat on a stone in Stonehenge for a photo MANY years ago, before it was realised that we needed to protect it from tourist damage. At that point I think there were only six of us visiting at the same time. We live not far from Winchester. I wonder if you saw the tomb of St Swithin whist there at the Cathedral - err, I think it's inside so you wouldn't have seen it. An interesting legend attached (try Google) which many of us still believe in. I don't know you but what fun to think we've both trodden in exactly the same footsteps - I know and love Salisbury too! I hope you fed the ducks at the river in Salisbury?!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I imagined you having a wonderful time, and am so glad you did! Thanks for sharing the great photos of some of the interesting and lovely places you saw.
    That you were able to enjoy time with loved ones is fabulous! And even though you had a long quarantine I really rejoice that you were able to travel and share your good adventures with us which helps us all to celebrate better mental health, I think! Thank you and Glory to God! xx πŸ’œπŸ™Œ

    ReplyDelete