Monday, August 30, 2021

Home….. again, for a while!

Can you say crazy? Our life has been a mad dash to and fro since about April. I think I am now home for a while, although Dennis may still be doing some traveling. First of all, I want to take you to our last full day in London. Alex took us on a walk to the top of Primrose Hill where you get a gorgeous view of London skyline. From what I was reading afterwards, Primrose Hill was the site of many duels in years gone by. It was quite the hike. I think it was 2 to 3 miles each direction from their house. Although I was exhausted at the end of the day and it was very warm, I wouldn’t have missed it for anything. What a beautiful site! You can see The Shard and the the London Eye, along with many other landmarks.  As you can see, it is a very popular place.

At the bottom of Primrose Hill was a pub called “The Queens!” Now you can’t get much more appropriate than that can you?

Don’t you just love the sign? Dennis and I each had a milkshake and Alex had some sort of a fruit drink. The pubs in England are one of my favorite things. They’re like being in someone’s living room and just chatting and relaxing. You are never rushed or hurried in any way.

On the way home from Primrose Hill, we walked down Abbey Street. This particular corner wasn’t the famous corner from the Beatles, but we did drive by Abbey Rd., Studios several times. It’s not far from the kids house.  You can see Alex pointing at the sign. Now wouldn’t you think with all of the exercise we got as we wandered around England, that we would have lost some weight? I think Dennis did, but I sure didn’t. We also ate very well!  Now I really have to get serious about getting rid of some of this excess poundage. I have no idea what that expression on my face is. Is anyone else like me and hates getting their photo taken?

My favorite souvenirs are magnets. Our refrigerator was completely overrun with them. Dennis made Mandy and I each one of these magnet boards last week. They are 40 in. square and hold a LOT of magnets! We try to pick them up whenever we visit a new place and friends send them to us as well. I have this hanging on the wall in my craft area. I love it! We have been trying to think of how we wanted to display them for a long time and I think this is perfect. Look! I have room to do more traveling!
Last week while we were home I managed to finish all 25 of the socks for Piper’s advent calendar. I used the same needles for each of them, also using sock yarn exclusively. You can see the difference in sizes of the socks. No wonder every pair of hand knit socks is a little bit different.

I also knitted three baby hats, crocheted one and made two pair of mittens.

And then, off we flew last Wednesday to Spokane. We flew home yesterday in the late afternoon. We stayed with our friends Paul and Lori again. They are so gracious and hospitable. When Lori met us at the door, look who she had in her arms! They lost their sweet girl Mattie just a few weeks after we lost Chloe. They couldn’t stand the quiet house and went out and found this sweet little miniature schnauzer. She is named Izzy and is 3.6 pounds. She took to me like a duck to water and I fell absolutely head over heels in love with her. Now I have puppy fever my friends. I have been combing the Internet for puppies. Unfortunately, I am finding a lot of scams. We want a small dog this time so it can sit in my lap while I knit. Also, if we are able to start traveling again in the trailer a smaller dog will be much easier. Do any of you know anybody who has yorkies or miniature schnauzers or anything around that size available? I’ve been checking rescue groups to with no luck.

Just look at that face! How could you not fall in love? She’s about 8 inches long and about 6 inches high right now.

Then, Nita gave me this pile of hats that needed to be sewn up. I brought them home with me and last night I sewed all the seams and have them ready to be delivered to the hospital soon.
I was able to spend quite a lot of time with our friends Neal and Jenny too. Neal has a new car that he just bought a few months ago and he insisted I drive it around Thursday and Friday. We had a rental car, but Dennis needed it for work. How many friends would do something like that?  These two are our best friends in the world.  Because Neal was gracious enough to loan me his car I was able to visit a lot of people on this trip.
I started this baby blanket the night before we left for Spokane. Obviously nothing has been done on it in almost a week.

And the next two photos were taken from the window of the airplane yesterday. These were the Cascade Mountains just after we took off from Seattle. Sorry about the scratched up window. I still thought the photos were pretty neat.

Just look at those mountain peaks and even with the ridiculous heat in Washington this summer, that’s still some snow on the very top’s.

We had blue sky all the way to Omaha. I was able to see the Cascade Mountains and several towns along interstate 90 in Washington that I recognized from the air. Then we crossed the Bitterroot Mountains of Idaho and I saw the Clark Fork River winding through them. The majestic Rockies rose up to greet us too. After that we crossed a lot of deserted land in Montana and Wyoming before reaching the Black Hills of South Dakota. I even saw Mount Rushmore! Spearfish and Rapid City were spotted along with Ellsworth Air Force Base and Wall Drug. The Badlands were beautiful to behold. Then we headed south and flew across Central Nebraska. I could see the Platte River winding along the interstate and also the museum in Kearney that stretches over the interstate, that Dennis and I visited last year. Then the Capitol dome in Lincoln was shining brightly in the sun! Before I knew it we were in Omaha with familiar sides of the city greeting me. It was one of the most beautiful plane rides I have ever had. My knitting sat forgotten in my lap as I stared out of the window for virtually the entire trip. Never have we had such good weather when I’ve had a window seat. We crossed literally half of the country and I could see it all! We certainly live in a beautiful land.

I hope you’re having a wonderful Monday. I’ll be catching up with you all very soon.
Blessings and love,
Betsy


20 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed "going along" on your trip. I think I could very happily live in the UK!! LOL

    That little puppy is adorable. Finding little dogs at our rescue agencies is really hard. It seems they are all Pit Bull - Lab mixes. If you do find a small dog, it is usually an older dog. :-( I hope you find one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That puppy is so cute! I am certain that a special one will come your way soon! Find a breeder one with good recommendations! Or get on the list at the Humane Society in Omaha...visit some dog parks and ask around:) I understand the wanting a dog, we do too, but it is just not in our future right now:( You have been knitting up a storm! So glad you got to visit with friends:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You sure have been busy. And productive!! Hoping you can find a little dog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely post! Am amazed you can take knitting needles in any size or form into the cabin though. Love the dear little puppy - good luck finding one, so cute.

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The magnet boards are brilliant!
    Love all your crafting.
    And that puppy!!!! Too cute!
    Mom just messaged me the other day that their last puppy is claimed. I was kind of hoping they'd keep one, but no such luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where to start with my comments because you've just got so much to love in this post. The mini socks! The magnet board! England! The puppy! I found my latest Yorkie (Pup) on Facebook Marketplace or whatever it's called. She was from a backyard breeder and I couldn't be happier with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fun post. magnet boards!!!
    Puppy. My sister is getting her puppy in October.
    My friend s daughter just got a new schnauzer pup. Should I check the breeder for yoU?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what travelers you have become. Sure was fun seeing your last pictures from London and then your pictures from Washington. That plane ride across our country, sounds spectacular. I would love to have been looking out that window too! You sure have been busy knitting up a storm, making mittens and blankets and finishing off hats. You are so talented Betsy! I'm glad I found your blog. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys had so much fun. I don't like getting my picture taken either. I'm trying to lose weight but its hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The puppy is adorable and would be a nice companion. It’s been fun to read about your trip(s) and to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How perfect to find your very own pub named for you! What a lovely trip and what a wonderful hike, too! You are such an amazing knitter and accomplish so much for others. It is really a gift. The plane ride! I felt like I was riding along. Hard to believe all that beauty out the window. Hope you get a chance to relax and catch your breath! (I hate having my picture taken!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sure seems like you are making up for lost travel time. Good to know you are well and able to fly to different places, knowing there was a time when it was not advisable to do so. Sounds like you had a great trip in London. Even with being so busy, you still manage to stitch away. Love those little socks for the advent calendar. And always nice to see what you are creating for a good cause. I hope if you really want a sweet little pup that you will definitely get one from a rescue group or shelter, whatever breed it might be. There are so many abandoned pets that need a good, loving home. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betsy, I don't know how you get a wink of sleep after all you have seen and done lately. All the beautiful places you've visited, and friends, and flying over those mountains, and then top it off with that adorable puppy. Oh, I do hope you find a puppy soon. You really need one. Before Weetie, Eli, and Ellie I had a small solid black poodle named Poo. He was so smart and adorable..had a little face kind of like Izzy. He lived to be 15 years old and of course broke my heart when he passed away. I would love to have another one...these two giants will probably out live me though. Sure enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delightful post!! Primrose Hill looks like a great spot to view the city below. And I love that pub's sign...so appropriate for you.
    The plane ride seems as if it was a gift made just for you.
    You have been so busy; I'm surprised that you got so much knitting done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such wonderful memories you are making all the way from London and across the US! I am so happy to hear you got to go home and see your dear friends. I know how hard it is after making such a long distance move and leaving such deep bonds behind. Thank the Lord for the opportunity to travel and stay in touch with those we love the most. God bless you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful post--I love seeing all of the photos and getting a glimpse of what you were up to lately! It has been a whirlwind for you!!! The magnetic board is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. London is a good city to visit. We ate different food during our time in Alaska. Thai, Vietnam, a restaurant that came up with different foods that were made in their restaurant. Delicous tea as well. Rain showers on Wed and Thurs in Anchorage. I am glad you were able to stay with friends and use a car for 2 days. I hope you are able to see my posts and comment. Miss hearing from you, my friend! Hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ive enjoyed each of your posts dear Betsy though not many comments.
    Loved the tour around the Old Blighty and fancy finding a Queen pub.

    Congrats on your anniversary and I love your beautiful pup Zoe, she's gorgeous. So very glad for you. No tips as never had dog.. hang on remember one.

    My friend had a small maltese cross, it was prone to yappiness so Pauline took a water sprat bottle as a deterrent, and it wotked well!
    ... she said she used it for negative feedback,anything that was a no go.


    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete