Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Deal & Dover

You all seem very excited for photos of our trip to England so at the risk of boring you I will share some more today. we spent three days and two nights in Deal which is very close to Dover in Kent. I completely fell in love with this little town. Our hotel was directly across from the pier overlooking the English channel. And so with no further ado here are some more photos.

I found this sweet little yarn shop just one block from our hotel and next-door to the coffee shop we stopped in at each morning. I did find two skeins of sock yarn that I’ll be showing you later. The owner was so sweet and friendly and we had a nice chat. I would love to live in this little town and have this be my local yarn shop.

This is the ocean-front road. Our hotel is just left to the center, with the dark blue first floor.

The pier was directly across the road from us as you can see by the above photo. You can see the handrail in the lower left corner.

This is a very small view of the Queen Mum’s garden at, I believe, Walmer Castle. After a while I started forgetting the names of all of the castles. 😔

Here I am taking a walk in the water just below the white cliffs of Dover. I was the only one brave enough to walk in the water and it was surprisingly warm. The beach is very, very rocky and you definitely need to have water shoes on.

Stunning!

Dover Castle. This is where the plans were made and executed to rescue almost 300,000 soldiers from the beach in France during the War.

Photos cannot even begin to do justice to this amazing place. We spent seven hours there and also explored the underground tunnels that were used during the war. We could easily have spent another day there.

So beautiful!

How would you like to cook banquets in this kitchen?

The view was absolutely amazing. We walked around the tower wall which took quite a long time.

WOW!

Blogger got a few of the photos out of order. This is another view of the gardens at Walmer Castle.
The church and light house at Dover Castle.

Inside the church.
And not to be left out, yesterday was Piper‘s first day of third grade. Can you believe it? She loves her teacher and she had a wonderful first day.

This was the view Tuesday night from the place we used to stay in Washington on Loon Lake. They are under level three evacuation’s as I write this, which means “get out now.” I guess I’m relieved that we’re not camping there this summer, but we do have many, many friends there who are frantically making plans to pull their trailers out.  Many homes have already been lost. The fires this year in the west are just horrendous.
I have been trying to get this post up for two days but Blogger refused to let me post any photos until this morning. I wonder what it is with Blogger that it just decides to have these little glitches? Anyway, here you go and I hope you all enjoy them.

Have a wonderful Wednesday evening and I’ll be back soon.

Blessings,
Betsy




24 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures! Thank you for sharing them with us. I can easily see myself at the Swan Stitch...what fun that must have been! Wishing you a day full of many blessings sweet friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photos! I’ve always wanted to visit England, my paternal grandmother’s birthplace, but my plans have gone awry. Thanks for sharing your vacation photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love all the photos! My favourite is the one of you in the water at Dover!
    I hope Piper has a wonderful year, and all your friends can evacuate safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of the yarn store and those other store fronts near your hotel - so quaint. I can see why you would want to stay there - I would too.
    When you are at the top of Dover Castle looking out - what city are you looking over?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the town is Dover. It is a beautiful place.
      Blessings and hugs,
      Betsy

      Delete
  5. What a picture postcard place! It's hard to believe that such charming villages actually exist. I see them on all the BritComs I watch but being there and seeing it for yourself must be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *polite applause* ..... no wait ..... *boisterous clapping and shouts for more* ..... LOL! Beautiful photos of such a wonderful place!! I love that your hotel was such a lovely little building right on the waterfront. I probably would have been happy strolling through the town for hours and hours. The cute little yarn shop -- how neat to visit that store!! But that castle!! Jerry and I would have loved that part! Have you seen the Dunkirk movie about the evacuation (2017)? I only saw a little bit of it once when I was at a friend's house. And the movie "The White Cliffs of Dover" (1944) with Irene Dunn is awesome (I saw it a long time ago, I think when I was just out of high school). Thank you for this tour! We await more!! Blessings, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Betsy....what wonderful pictures you posted! I love the castles and the white cliffs of Dover and the gardens and the water....and Piper in 3rd grade picture! I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip. Oh, the pic from Washington looks so scary. I can't believe all the fires this year. Awful. Praying for all the people affected by fire. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the gifts you give us Betsy. This trip is so pretty. The cast1es are movie scenes !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved all your pictures!! There must have been SO much to see it could become overwhelming.
    The wildfires are truly awful this year. Plans are being made this week to accommodate many of the evacuated families here in the Fraser Valley. The towns between us and the fires are filled up with people and there are still many with nowhere to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what great photos! It sounds like you had an amazing vacation! How wonderful!! I wonder how many cooks were in that kitchen! So sad about your old area in Washington...I sure hope it rain soon. Oh my Piper is growing up too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your England photos are beautiful. Looks like you had lovely weather.

    Hope Miss Piper has a wonderful year. When I was a substitute teacher, third grade was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your England pictures were so good to see. Nice town you were in. I remember the rocks on the shore! Someone said to me that it's not a good thing to throw sand at a person, which over there, it was rock{s}, haha! Sad that your friends at Loon lake had to evacuate NOW! It was a beautiful place to see when we were visiting you a few years ago. Thankfully there is not a close fire to in our area. We still need rain soon as it's been dry for months. A bit of a sprinkle of rain on Tues and that was it. So fun to see Piper's smiling face and a 3rd girl already? Have a blessed day and thanks for sharing photos of your vacation!//Becky

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mother in law lives near Dover (between Dover & Canterbury) - we haven't seen her in RL for over 2 years. Seeing your photos of the area makes me a little sad, as I think of her. Dover Castle is amazing, isn't it, although Dover itself isn't much to write home about! Deal, and Sandwich are much more picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos!!!! Especially enjoyed the one at the beach below the white cliffs of Dover. I would love that place! Your adorable Piper is sure getting taller—hoping she has a fabulous school year (I loved 3rd grade 😁).
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures are amazing! I can't even imagine being there, in person...especially on the beach below the white cloffs of Dover. Maybe is is the song that has always made me want to visit there. Sweet little Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful tour of the castle and gardens; so glad you shared with us! I love the backdrop of the Dover cliff to your wading!!! So sorry for the horrendous fires at your old stomping ground.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear sister, le envie un mensaje por gmail, puede contactarce conmigo, no se si le llego es importante. Bendiciones.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful photos of your trip! I can't even imagine what a wonderful time you must have had. Glad you are home safe and sound and what a cutie Piper is on her first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel quite envious of you Betsy having visited my home country and I am stuck here so eager to get home to see the family. I am thoroughly enjoying this post and all the photos of your excursions and there you are dipping your feet in the English channel at the Dover Narrows just a swim away from France. :-) Piper is looking quite a bit taller,such a pretty girl. Awful fires! My heart also goes out to Greece and the terrible fires there which has devastated practically the whole of the country. keep well Amanda x PS: love those sort of Yarn shops too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will never tire of photos from your amazing trip Betsy. It looks like it was an incredible adventure and I like you would love to live near that little chop. So glad you are away from the fires, the devastation to people and animals and of course trees and plants is just so horrible. Hope you are all feeling well. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, your trip looks just wonderful! I am so thankful you had such a lovely time. That little quilt shop is just adorable! God bless you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful photos! I did giggle when you said you forget the names of castles after seeing a few over here in England - we're absolutely awash with them! You finally encouraged me to buy some wool and take up knitting again!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can imagine you knitting socks with your English skeins and fondly remembering not only the sweet shop where you bought them, but many of the fantastic castles and sights you saw even if you are fuzzy remembering what names go to what castle😊 The fires in Washington and around the world are terrible indeed...after our close brush with fierce fires last year I understand more about the devastation possible. God is our refuge! 🙏that dear Miss Piper has a fabulous year in third grade! 💜🤗

    ReplyDelete