Friday, July 30, 2021

We Made It!!!

Before I go very far into the post, I just want to let anyone with nefarious ideas out there know that we do have house sitters while we’re away. Not only that, we have amazing neighbors on all sides of us that are watching the house with eagle eyes. That is just one benefit of moving into a neighborhood where everyone has known you for 45 years!

Our flight out of Omaha was delayed for quite some time and we only had a one hour connection in Chicago so before we even left Omaha, the wonderful people at American Airlines had rebooked us on a British Airways flight leaving Chicago a few hours later. That was the best thing that could have happened. Since we had to take a train and go through security again in Chicago that gave us plenty of time to accomplish all that needed done security wise and still have time to get some dinner at one of the restaurants.

The flight was a wonderful one on British Airways, where they fed us both dinner and breakfast with regular trips through with water and juice to keep us hydrated. We actually arrived a little early in London and we breezed through immigration. We didn’t even talk to anyone. We simply had our passport and hand print scanned and our photo taken by a machine. Our bags were waiting on the luggage carousel and we walked straight through customs without talking to anyone there either. At the end of the corridor stood Alex waiting for us with a big grin on his face. Oh how wonderful to see our boy after over one and a half years!  The first thing he did was buy his dad a cup of coffee, but I used the restroom and then off we went, driving through London.  We went straight to his house and haven’t left since.

We’ve been in here for two days now and we’re having a lovely time visiting. However, we aren’t allowed to leave the house or back garden until five days are up and we “test to release” from quarantine. It is all a bit hard for me to understand since beginning August 2, anyone arriving in the UK from the United States who is fully vaccinated does not have to quarantine at all. Since we arrived on July 28 we have to quarantine the entire 10 days unless we test negative on day five and day 8, even though we are fully vaccinated. Then we have to test again before leaving to go home. There is so much we want to do, much of it outside where we wouldn’t even be around other people. Oh well, we are still having a wonderful time.

The house in London is a beautiful three-story home right in the middle of the city. It’s within walking distance of many places. One of my favorite parts about European cities, is the fact that you can walk to the shops and restaurants and just about anything you need. Anything else is just a short train ride away. I always miss that when I go back home. Unfortunately, we haven’t been able to experience any of that yet. Ha! We are not allowed to go outside the front door, but we are allowed in the back garden. This garden is not a bad place to spend time at all. I sit there knitting or reading your blog posts.

Here is the view from our bedroom window. You can see some of the skyline from here. So far we have had two of the best nights sleep of our lives in this room. It’s quiet and cozy. We have had the windows wide open and I have a hard time believing just how quiet it is in the center of London.

Dennis has been doing some work from here and so has Alex. They have also done some home-improvement projects. Dennis made up a list of lumber and tools required and Alex went to the local home improvement store.  They spent the afternoon putting drawers and shelves in the pantry. It looks very nice! They had planned to work on the decking this week too. You can see in the photo above where Alex removed one board to see if it had rot in it and it did. Now they are trying to decide whether to replace the decking material or take the decking off and leave the brickwork underneath. If it keeps raining the way it has been the past couple of days, the time for Dennis to help him will have passed, although I’m sure we will be coming back before too much time has gone by.

I am able to read all of your blogs and I am doing so, but I didn’t bring my laptop with me and so I am unable to comment. For some reason Blogger quit letting me comment on my iPad or iPhone a couple of years ago. Teresa tried to help me solve it, as did several of you, to no avail. Please know that I am trying to keep up with all of you.  Connie, I am praying for you and Far Guy as he gets to know his new doctors. Val, I am enjoying reading about your move and how all three kitties coped in their own ways. Sam, I’m glad you had such a wonderful time with your family right now and looking forward to all the new projects. I know that’s just a few of you, but I want you to see proof that I really am reading your blogs! Ha! Oh, and Connie in WA, I absolutely love what you did with your new pick-up. It’s exactly what I would like to do, but Dennis isn’t so keen on it. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Take care everyone and I’ll try to post again soon. Love to you all.๐Ÿ’œ

Blessings love and hugs,
Betsy


26 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got to London safely and AA got your other flight taken care of. I'm counting down our days til our trip. I'm getting items put together in a Target bag so it'll be easier to pack. I'm gonna make a check list as well. Sorry you have to quarantine so long. Weird. Hugs and blessings!...๐Ÿ’œBecky

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you arrived safely! Enjoy your time there!!! Thanks always for the prayers, the wildfire smoke is horrid today and Far Guy has been inside since noon yesterday. Enjoy the time you have with Alex and enjoy that outside garden spot for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thrilling to see you are finally there in London. That photo of the houses is definitely in the UK :-) I can just imagine how emotive it was for you both to see your son again...fabulous! Such a shame to have to undergo a quarantine but afterwards you will be thoroughly rested from your long trip and raring to go! That is a lovely looking hidden garden I can just see you out there eagerly reading our blogs. Enjoy yourselves Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! That's just amazing! Any change of scenery would be a welcome one-even if I was stuck inside in quarantine. I am so tired of all this heat and humidity that is keeping me a prisoner. I could just scream. Hopefully London is cooler than the good ole USA. In the summer I wish my ancestors had just stayed there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you arrived safely and will hopefully be able to get out and about in a few days time. We spent 2 weeks driving around England, Wales and Scotland in the fall of 2019. It was wonderful! Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Betsy! Thanks so much for posting! I am so glad you and Dennis arrived safely and are able to visit with Alex even though you have to quarantine. The garden looks like a lovely spot in which to sit and stitch and it is wonderful Dennis is able to help Alex with some home improvement projects. May you continue to have have blessed adventures!๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you made it and although you have to quarantine for a few days it seems you're making the most of this time too. It must be so wonderful to see your son again. Here's hoping this next week brings many lovely adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear the flight went without any problems, and you breezed right in! If you have to quarantine - what a lovely place to do it! The back garden is just lovely and that view with the skyline - breathtaking!!! I know they are doing all they can think of to protect their citizens. Hopefully your sweet son can pick up some great meals for you, too! I bet he really appreciates his dad's help with projects. How wonderful that you get to spend time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful that you were able to travel. That back garden looks like the perfect place to quarantine! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun and enjoy being with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Betsy!!!!! So fun to hear from you. Great that the transport there was so good. Oh to see your son. His yard is awesome. Keep enjoying and praying and the goodness of God . !!! Im giving thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting Betsy, that you're now in England and London even! I love the pictures of the garden and the glimpse of the skyline out the window. I was in London once for a very short time on my way to Uganda, so didn't get to see a lot. Hope you guys can get out and about very soon...what a shame all that quarantine business. Sounds like you're having fun in spite of it....and seeing your family again has to be awesome. Enjoy your days there! Love your newsy blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you a wonderful time in England with your son! So very neat ๐Ÿ˜ Loved the garden pic—looks peaceful. Hoping that repairs can be made despite the challenges. I agree with you about the restrictions. It seems silly if you are going to places where there aren’t other people. I know you’ll enjoy your trip anyway though. Stay safe, have fun!
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  14. How absolutely wonderful that your trip over was so UNeventful!! I have never ever before heard of anyone NOT having problems with the airlines, service, or other things associated with traveling. I thinks it's marvelous you guys had no issues! (Except the small on in the beginning, but really, that didn't seem so much, right?) // The garden looks so lovely and peaceful -- thankful that it is at least some place you can "go" until all the days are over while you wait. // What a great view they have of the London horizon. When it's daytime, you'll have to point out what's off in the distance (If you're able and there's anything interesting). // I haven't made a blog post since a few days ago... just so many things we're having to handle right now. But I plan on trying to squeeze a few words in pretty soon. // Have a bunch of happy days there and be blessed!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to hear you are there safely and enjoying your family. Stay safe Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, how nice to hear from you! Such good medicine to give hugs in person! The garden area is beautiful-very tranquil and nice to hear that you are sleeping so well!
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good to hear that you arrived safely and getting through customs and immigration was a breeze. Sorry about the quarentine stuff, but what a gorgeous spot (the back garden) to quarantine. Have fun and enjoy your time with your boy Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you had a safe, smooth, uneventful trip. That garden spot looks so peaceful, the perfect place to wait our your quarantine. Enjoy the time with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Betsy, I'm so happy for you. I've been away from blogging for quite some time so it is quite a surprise to see that you are in London. I can remember when you weren't able to fly because of medical problems. I'm glad to know you are well and able to see Alex again. That garden is certainly a lovely place to spend some time. My husband was fully vaccinated in June. I did not get my first dose until July 4th and don't get the second one til end of September so I can't go anywhere until after that time. The government closed the airport to expats at the beginning of the year so many people got stuck outside and it was only on August 1st that they reopened, but only to fully vaccinated residents. It's crazy times indeed. I have a a feeling I won't be going anywhere until next year. :( Take care and enjoy your time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH! So glad to hear from you! I thought we wouldn't hear until you got back. Glad your trip was enjoyable and that there were no major hiccups. So happy that you are able to be with your son again and I bet you can't wait until the quarantine is over! What fun! I could live in the U.K. as I love trains and all their walking trails plus the ability to walk everywhere to the shops. Enjoy this time and so happy to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praying each night dear Betsy for God's keeping covering grace to be upon you in all things and all ways.
    Prayer hugs. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. All the downs are worth getting to see your son.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Betsy! I check in every day to see if you've made a new post or not...but I must say I am so enjoying the two pictures you put on from your son's place in London. I love the little patio in his backyard and also the picture out your bedroom window of the neighborhood and all the lights twinkling outside. I was in London once and then not for long, so would love to see more of it! I guess I daydream when I look at those two pictures!!! Hope you're having a great time there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hoping and praying all is well with you guys over there!! Like everyone else, I keep checking to see if you've posted. Sending you much love and lotsa blessings, my friend! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Betsy, I am trying to get caught up on so many things and wanted to check in to see if you are okay. It has been a long time since you posted, so I do trust all is well with you and Dennis. I am praying for you, sweet friend, and hope you are just busy and having fun. I am so sorry I have been so bad about keeping in touch lately. We have had a lot going on. Take care of yourself and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete