Friday, May 3, 2024

I’m back, for a few days!

Hello Everyone! We had a great time camping this week with Curt and Barb. Look at that blue sky. We had a thunderstorm Wednesday night and early morning with gentle, rolling thunder and light rain on the roof. I love that when we're camping. No more severe weather here all week, which has been a relief for those working at cleanup from the tornadoes. No fatalities here in the Omaha/Elkhorn area although there were some serious injuries. Minden Iowa is about 45 miles from here and the same tornado destroyed completely over half of the town. It's all so sad.

Back to camping. I made a big crockpot of chili one night that we shared with Curt and Barb. One night they had a baked potato bar with lots of toppings and fresh strawberries too. We heated up the leftover chili for whoever wanted that on their potato too. It's fun to share meals throughout the days. It gives great new ideas for ourselves when we're camping alone.

This was our view from the trailer. Isn't it pretty? Everything was very muddy when we arrived but by the next afternoon was dried out quite a bit. 
There were these two geese around the lake all week. One sat on a nest most of the time and then one day we saw them swimming the other direction with five little goslings between them. This was them coming back WITHOUT the babies! I wonder where they left them?

This is Curt & Barb's little A-frame camper. They just got it when we moved here. They've always tent camped, but have decided it's time to get off of the ground. They have a little kitchen, a table and a bed. It has heat and running water which is nice, but no bathroom. They're planning a trip to the Grand Canyon later this month. We were supposed to be going with them but they got the last camping spot in the campground. Next week we're heading to north-central Iowa by Webster City. I think it's a newer campground. We'll be with Curt & Barb again and also our minister Jeff and his wife, Angie. That's sure to be a good time since the guys all have the same sense of humor.

As you can see, Zoey loves it all. We went to the storage lot this morning to take the clean towels, etc. to the camper. We took Zoey along and she ran right over to the door, up the steps and jumped up on the sofa. She was ready to go camping again. :-)

A closer up view of under our awning. This is where we hung out a lot of the week. It was shady and gave "some" protection from ticks falling from trees. I had to take one out of Dennis's head the last night we were there. It had obviously just attached because it didn't have any blood and was still small. I picked two off of me, on my neck and arm. I am NOT used to ticks anymore. We rarely dealt with them in Spokane. But here, I remember always having them as a kid when we were camping. Yuck!
Our camper was the gathering place for the week, which was nice.

I bought some museum putty and put it under a few things on the counter and put rubber shelf liner under the Keurig so I wouldn't have to pack them up every time. They stayed put on the drive home so I think it's going to work! Fingers crossed. :-)

I finished this blanket while we were camping. Just a baby blanket in the "Whichway Crochet" blanket pattern. It looks grey but it is really baby blue using Bernat Softee Baby. About a skein and a half.

I finished this shawl last week but forgot to take a photo of it. I think it will be donated to Mom's place.

Mandy texted today and asked if I could come sit with Piper. She's been throwing up and running a fever so no school for her. Mandy has to work and this way I can take care of Piper for her. Apparently it's been going around school. It's always something when you have kids. Brad's parents 50th Anniversary party is tomorrow night. Mandy and their other daughter-in-law have been planning it for months. Now this. Dennis and I will probably stay home from the party with Piper as there is no way she should be going with the fever she has today. Right now it's 102.9 so she's still not well at all.

I hope you're all well. This morning I made some reservations for our camping trip to Spokane in June. We're stopping several places along the way there and then going to the Oregon Coast for four nights before heading back home. I have no reservations for coming home as we're just going to play it by ear and stop when we find a place and feel like it. By then it will be mid-late July and I'm sure it will be pretty hot otherwise we would head south and go to the Grand Canyon on the way home. We'll probaby stay fairly far north instead.

I hope you're all well and I'll be trying to catch up on blogs now that I'm home for a few days.

Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. Hope Piper is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lake and the ducks are very beautiful.
    I hope goes well Piper.
    Nature in general looks great!
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you and Dennis make every moment count. It's so important to find a partner that appreciates taking time for yourselves and enjoying the world around you. I love how Zoey took to your camper. She looks very happy to be on a big adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love to hear all about your camping adventures, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers that Piper is better quickly. Those fevers can be scary. What a wonderful getaway with your friends. And such a lovely place to spend some down time. Your summer plans sound wonderful too! Glad Dennis is doing well with the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to read you had such a nice time camping and that you have more camping trips "in the works." I hope by now Piper is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you are enjoying camping! I guess I didn't realize that was where you were. Looks beautiful, and you have a lovely camper! So sorry to hear about Piper, and I hope she feels better really soon. Too bad to miss the special party, but you are right, she doesn't need to go and be around people either. So thankful you all are safe where you are and yet it's strange that people so close by have lost everything. Those storms are so very unpredictable. Take care and enjoy your camping trips. It really sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting design for the whichway blanket. Looks like you had a nice camping spot. I like the look of that A-frame camper. Ticks fall from trees -- I thought they were just found in areas with tall grasses and such. Haven't had one on me since I lived in Georgia many, many years ago. Sure hope Piper is feeling better very soon. My eldest used to always get very high fevers when he was little so he always required quick attention and double doses to get his temp down. Sounds like you are gonna have a busy summer. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! So nice to virtually join you on your camping adventure! I am with you on combining meals when with friends. It is always fun and gives us new ideas. I love your camper and your set up! Ticks are everywhere! We just pulled one out of Flynn's puppy last night. I pray sweet Piper's fever goes down, and that she feels better very soon. Have a cozy afternoon, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a fun place to camp! I sure hope you don't catch what Piper had and hope she'd all better now. Ticks sure are annoying, aren't they. I experienced lots of those when I was a camp counselor in Wisconsin, but we don't seem to see them around here. I hope you have a great trip to the PNW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, my comment seems to have disappeared? Hope Piper is all better now. It was fun to see your pretty finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful projects! I love your friend's little camper - that is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor Piper. I hope she feels better soon ( and that you don't catch her germs!!).
    That baby blue blanket that you crocheted sure looks lovely ( as all your blankets and shawls do).
    I can't help but wonder what happened to those 5 little goslings :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope Piper is feeling better now. I'm behind in reading blogs. I crocheted a baby washcloth and completely forgot to take a photo of it before I gave it to the expectant mother. Was it you who had mentioned using Red Heart Granny Square yarn? I want to try it but maybe not for granny squares. I've heard pros and cons so maybe I will use the balance on my Joann gift card to buy a skein.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful campsite! (the ticks don't sound like as much fun!) Beautiful shawl and blanket!!! I'm glad you can sit with Piper even when she is sick!!! I happen to be at my grandson's house since he is home from school, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such beautiful photos. Hope Piper feels better.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sure was a pretty camping sight, somewhere I would also enjoy! Homemade chile and baked potatoes, WoW, that's a feast made for a "Queen♥" It's so good to know you were out of harms way, the storms have been so devastating, prayers for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing your camping trip with us! I think that's my favorite way to camp these days--listening to others' stories about it. :) I'm glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I live in the Joplin, Mo area, so I know a bit about tornadoes. We had an F1 in Joplin and in Carthage where I live. Nothing like the devastation so many had, but still enough to cause a lot of troubles for folks. We were unharmed, thank you Jesus!

    Be blessed,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a traveling lady! Sounds like you are having a great time except for the ticks. I can't stand them. They spray my yard and when I used to mow, I sprayed myself with OFF with Deet before going out. Your blanket and shawl are so pretty. So sorry about Piper being so sick! I hope you don't catch it. Enjoy your trips...so glad you both get to have your family nearby and are able to travel and enjoy your retirement.
    Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete