Thursday, February 1, 2024

Home Again And It’s My Birthday!!

We’re home and I’m ready to go cruise again. We had the BEST time with Neal and Jenny! I boarded the ship on Saturday and didn't get off in any ports. I only left the ship when they made me leave the next Saturday to go home! It was wonderful. I'm happy to reposrt that neither of us had any sort of seasickness at all. And it was a very "rock and rolling" ship. Even with how big it is, there were lots of people seasick and we only had 1 and a half days of sunshine. Did that matter to us? Nope. Not at all. We met so many great people and just enjoyed the sea life and the rocking boat. We got very good at doing what is called the Cruise Waltze as we walked around. We were lurching every which way and grabbing each other to get our balance again.  :-) I'll have to tell the story of our trip in a couple of posts because otherwise there are way too many photos. 

We drove from Omaha, NE to Ennis, TX the first day. Ennis is just south of Dallas. It was a long day, but it meant we arrived in Galveston in the early afternoon on Friday. That gave us time to explore the island a bit. Lots of people had decorated for Mardi Gras already which is to begin tomorrow, Feb. 2. The decorations were so bright and festive with the purples, greens and gold.  Neal and Jenny had a really long day of traveling Friday. They left Spokane at 5:30 a.m. and didn't arrive in Galveston until after 10:00 that night. Their plane left Spokane late because of de-icing over and over, but it really didn't matter because their flight was delayed 5 hours in Salt Lake City. They were exhausted when they finally arrived. This is why you plan to arrive for the cruise the day before you sail.

This was our first glimpse of the Gulf of Mexico as we drove into Galveston. It may be cloudy, but it was a wonderful sight. When we left Omaha it was -20F with a -42F wind chill. I looked at the temperature when I took this photo and it was 61F. I cannot tell you how wonderful that felt. It did get chillier over the next few days before our cruise, down to the 40's F, but I wore a sweater and flip-flops the entire time. It was like summer to us after -40! People did look at me strangely though. Most had winter coats, hats, scarves and gloves on. 

The Pleasure Pier in Galveston. This was really neat. The rides stuck out into the Gulf on the pier. I think it might be a little scary on that Ferris Wheel out over the water, not to mention the roller coaster, don't you?

The Carousel is the first ride that you see when you walk onto the pier.

But Bubba Gump's is the first building on the pier. We ate there twice. Once the first night we arrived and had some very delicious clam chowder. Then we took Neal and Jenny there for Neals birthday lunch on Saturday just before we boarded the ship.

Bubba Gumps is named after the movie "Forrest Gump" and there is lots of memorabilia around from the movie. I like this sign that you put out for your server. If everything is okay it says this. If you need your server, you flip it over and it says, "Stop Forrest Stop".  It's really a fun restaurant. We ate at the one in Lahaina on Maui years ago. It's so sad that it was burned to the ground in the fire last year.
This was the view from our hotel the first night in Galveston. Palm trees and water. It can't be beat (unless the electric poles were hidden!)  :-) We were just happy to be in the warmth of the 40's and 50's.

The next day we changed our hotel to one right next to the dock. It is less than half a block from where we boarded the ship. It was so convenient. We were even able to leave our car there while we were gone and then just walk off the ship, get into our car and start driving. Next post I'll show you pictures of the cruise itself and tell you how wonderful it was. We are looking at maybe a trans-atlantic cruise in the next year or two because the port it ends up in is in Southhampton, England, just a little over an hour from Alex and our DIL's house. That is a 15 day cruise and I think we would love it. It only costs a little bit more than the 7 day one and I can only imagine how hard it would be to get off the ship after two weeks! Dennis had to pry me off this time. :-)

I did finish a pair of socks while driving and started a new pair. I've barely got the first cuff done though on the new pair. I didn't pick up my knitting once while on board. We were just too busy.

This is Opal yarn "Cat's and Dogs". It didn't have a color name. I bought the yarn last January when I was in London for a month with the kids. I ordered it from Germany and had it the next day! Maybe next time we go I'll do the same thing because the cost is very reasonable when I get it there.  As you can see, I made them fraternal twins instead of identical. 

I had almost all of the 48 squares done before we left. I think I made four or five after we got home late Tuesday. Then last night I began joining them. I tried to duplicate the new Red Heart continuous granny yarn colors with worsted weight yarn from my stash. Of course it's not continuous and I'm joining it with Hobby Lobby's "Ivory" yarn in worsted. It will be 6 squares by 48 squares and will be donated to a nearby nursing home for a wheelchair blanket.

Yesterday was spent getting things done at home like laundry, checking on Mom, picking up mail at the post office and all of the things you do when you get back from a trip.
Today, Mom woke up with a swollen leg and a rash around her ankle so that merited a couple of trips there to check on her. We also had to meet with our insurance agent because my medical insurance was messed up and I was scheduled to do a download on my pacemaker today. Thank goodness, our agent was able to call them while we were there and "hopefully" straighten the mess out. Although it still doesn't recognize my primary care doctor which is NOT a good thing. Then we had a Costco trip and finally, Dennis took me to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner. I had a GREAT steak and salad. 

We both managed to gain weight on the cruise so we're back to the basics with eating for awhile. Me, much, much more than Dennis. I "only" have "eight Zoey's or so" to lose! I sure hope I can do it because I know I'll feel better all over. 

I'll be back soon with another installment and some pictures of the actual cruise. If you aren't interested, just feel free to skip these posts. I missed you all and will be trying to catch up on your posts, although after missing two whole weeks, I may just start fresh from here!

Blessings and love,
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. I was thinking about you earlier today and wondering when you would be getting back home...and it's your birthday??? Happy Happy Birthday! What a way to celebrate!!! I can't wait to hear more about your cruise. I'm afraid I would not be very good at the cruise waltz! I tend to get motion sickness very easily and just thinking about it makes me feel queasy. LOL. But I am happy you loved it so much and that everything went so well for you all. That is an answer to prayer!! Welcome back home to your cold weather! It' has been 40's to 60's here too. Very pleasant, except when the wind blows. Take care and get settled in and rested. We'll look forward to catching up as you are able. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUE BUENOQUE ESTEN DE VUELTA Y QUE LO DISFRUTARON MUCHO ENHORABUENA, FELIZ CUMPLEAÑOS NUMERO 64 PARA TI BETSY, QUE DIOS SIGA BENDICIENDO TU VIDA, ¿PUEDES PASAR POR MI BLOG? PUBLIQUE FOTOS DEL CASAMIENTO DE MI ULTIMA HIJA ¿PUEDES CREER QUE YA PASO UN POCO MAS DE 1 MES DESDE QUE SE CASARON? EL TIEMPO PASA TAN DEPRISA HERMANA. BUENO ESPERO QUE PUEDAS PASAR Y UN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK AND THAT YOU ENJOYED IT SO MUCH, CONGRATULATIONS, HAPPY 64TH BIRTHDAY TO YOU BETSY, MAY GOD CONTINUE TO BLESS YOUR LIFE, CAN YOU STOP BY MY BLOG? I POSTED PICTURES OF MY LAST DAUGHTER'S WEDDING, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT'S BEEN A LITTLE OVER A MONTH SINCE THEY GOT MARRIED? TIME GOES BY SO FAST SISTER. WELL I HOPE YOU CAN STOP BY AND A HUG FROM A DISTANCE.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you both had such a great time on that cruise....and even with the tipsy ship you never got sick and didn't even fall down! I'm proud of you! So fun to hear all about your cruise and see the pictures of Galveston. We were in Galveston many years ago and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for more pics and info about your trip. Those socks you made are really pretty too. Take care and God Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops....forgot to wish you a very Happy Birthday! Whew....you just missed being a groundhog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂 🥳 BETSY 💓! I'm glad you had a good time on the cruise ship. Warmer weather better than freezing weather when on a cruise. I wouldn't mind flying somewhere in USA but not enough money to get to where I want to go.
    Your pkg should arrive on Friday from me. It's been warmer here but nights are chilly. I've got the back of my sweater done and now working on right front side. Knitting is my skill. Hugs and blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Home and Happy Birthday! Glad you had such a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to hear how much you enjoyed your cruise and visiting Galveston, so much to enjoy there. You were just down the road a piece from where I live!! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home and happy birthday!!! Looks like a great beginning to your cruise! The socks look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited to hear about your cruise. George and I went on one for our honeymoon in 2001. We flew from Atlanta to San Juan where we got on the ship and headed down into the South Caribbean (7 days)....We loved it and have talked about going on another one. What an awesome Birthday present for you --along with getting to see your good friends from Washington. Since I lived near Houston for 12 years, we visited the beach in Galveston frequently. Hugs, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great start to the trip! I would call that sock yarn colour, "London Fog" lol. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am anxious to hear all about your cruise! Thankful that you are back home safe and sound. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! (Yesterday! LOL!) I have never experienced seasickness, not will I... they'd have to hog tie me to get me on a boat... or a plane... or anything off the ground. Ha! Our insurances have never been correct on our PCPs. Ugh. It's whatever. Looking forward to the cruise photos!! I looked at the ship website. They sure do have a lot of things on those, don't they! Amanda and the grandkids have been on five cruises. My fave to look at for photos was when they went to Nassau, Atlantis Bahamas to swim with the dolphins. I loved seeing all the smiles on my grandkids faces... it had been a while since they smiled at that time (two years after their dad died), so my heart was happy they had such a good time. Okay, anyway, will yack atcha later! Love you much, my friend! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday and glad to have you back! Eight Zoeys to lose....ha, ha. That's hilarious. I have only one Pup to lose but then she weighs 16 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you had a lovely time on your cruise ( and didn't get seasick at all). Now life is back to normal again. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Betsy! Oh, I have never been on a cruise. Bet it was lots of fun. Well it must have been if you didn't leave the ship until you had to. :) Look forward to more pictures. Eight Zoeys to lose! That's so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday! I hope you are having a great day! You two sure do get around, and it was fun to hear about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday! I am so glad you have a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear all about it! Don't miss a detail!! It sounds like your timing was perfect on driving down. It was great you had a chance to relax and explore. I hope your friends were able to catch their breath with the flight issues. I joke about how I dress for the temperature in November versus February. What I think is freezing and have to dress like an snowman for in November, I am running around with my coat unbuttoned and no hat or mittens by February. It's what your body is used to. 50 sounds balmy to me right now! And what a cute restaurant. I would go twice too, just for the fun. And the food sounds delicious too. Good luck with losing the Zoeys! Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been on a cruise, so would you recommend it, altho I can do without the weight gain!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome home! And Happy birthday!
    You are blessed to able to travel. O how I wish. Nice to hear and see all about your adventures. May God richly bless you.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete