Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Over the snowdrifts and to the palm trees…

And off we go. We’re leaving tomorrow morning and the roads look “iffy” through Kansas and Oklahoma, but then again, I don’t know how often the map is updated. Once we get close to Wichita, it looks like the temps will be above freezing and I’m sure the roads will be fine.

I moved all of my plants close to the windows in the living room so it will be easier for Mandy to water them for me.

For some reason I noticed a few gnats flying around the plants yesterday. I looked up online how to get rid of them and made a concoction of apple cider vinegar, sugar, water and a couple drops of dish soap. Within an hour there were 8 gnats floating in it. It’s sitting on top of the fireplace. I haven’t seen any more gnats, but I’m going to leave the bowl there while we’re gone.

I’m waiting for my orchid to send up another flower stalk like it did last year at this time, but so far, there’s nothing. The violet is doing very well though, considering I got it out of the trash at Walmart, and it looked dead when I brought it home.

Dennis is modeling the shawl I finished last night. It’s the same pattern as the one I made last week. This is using Loops and Threads amethyst yarn, and a cream skein that I had without a label. Please excuse the bags in the kitchen on the counter. We’re getting things ready to put in the car and making dinner at the same time. Also watching cruise videos on YouTube to get in the cruise mood!🤣 Have any of you been watching the world cruise as it goes around the world? We’ve been watching the lovely couple you see on the TV screen and enjoying it very much. Their channel is “LivingPhase2”. They will be aboard the “Serenade of the Seas” for 280 days and go all the way around the world.

Last night I started these granny squares from stash yarn. I tried to match the colors as close as I could to the new Red Heart yarn that’s so popular right now. This is much less expensive.😂 Each one is 4 inches square and this will ultimately be a wheelchair blanket for a nursing home.

This photo was taken near Lincoln, NE, less than 40 miles from us. The road was cut from the drifts across the highway. Unbelievable. I did say we got a lots of blowing and drifting snow.🥶😂

We aren’t getting the Internet while we’re on the ship and I’m not taking my laptop with me anyway, so I won’t be able to comment on anyone’s blogs or even read them while we’re onboard. We just weren’t willing to pay $20.00/day for internet. This way there will be no pressure to be online for either of us and it will be a true vacation. If anyone wants to follow along, we’ll be on the Carnival Jubilee, sailing out of Galveston this Saturday, January 20. There is a camera on the bridge so that you can follow the ships progress.

I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. I’ll miss you all!

Blessings and love,
Betsy

16 comments:

  1. I look forward to your story on your blog with your cruise when you get back home 🛳 😀. You're in my thoughts and prayers for the trip. That's alot of snow in Lincoln, NE. It's very icy here with some snow this afternoon. Phil had to leave work at noon due to weather. Roads were ok then. Even though we have heat I enjoy being under a blanket when my laptop or sitting in living room today. Hugs and God bless you both 🤗, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels and have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Betsy....you two are going to have a wonderful cruise. Can't wait to hear all about it. Just look at that snow wall by the highway in Lincoln....holy cow. We usually get snow like that up here and this year we barely have any! It has gone all around us....especially south of us. I love those granny squares you knit....you are so talented and see so speedy at making all the things you make. Dennis did a fine job modeling that shawl you made. Somebody will love to receive it!
    Well....will miss your posts but wish you a wonderful trip and don't get sick on that cruise!!! God bless you both! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The road cut through the wall of snow is incredible!!
    Have a wonderful holiday. Keep safe and sound 💗💗.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you a wonderful time! We will miss you, but you will be having the time of your lives on your cruise! And you can tell us all about it when you get back. I'm sure you won't miss this weather at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shawl is beautiful. I too am working on lap afghans to donate the senior center. They have been closed due to freezing weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a wonderful time! Praying for you this morning as you travel. May God go with you and keep you safe from all harm, and may you relax and enjoy your trip without a care or concern!! I think being without the internet for a while would be a lovely vacation in itself! LOL. Praying now!!! Have a great time!! God is with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Safe travels! Looking forward to your posts when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And internet free trip sounds like a wonderful idea!

    Those little gnats are probably fungus gnats - harmless, but annoying, especially if they start breeding. They like moist soil to lay their eggs, so letting your plants dry between waterings can help. It didn't help me... lol.. so I went and bought some small aquarium gravel and have put a layer on top of of the soil in all my pots. Not only does it look nice, it keeps the gnats from laying their eggs. It took me a while to do all 153 plants (yeah - I didn't think I had that many until I counted either...) but it's done and it looks great, and we've already noticed a huge decrease in the gnats. Soon we should have none as the adults die off

    ReplyDelete
  10. BonVoyage! Have a wonderful time! Enjoy the time together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great trip! Have a really fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great time. Cruising is something I have no interest in but then I am such a recluse but I know many people love it. I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shawl is just gorgeous Betsy! You do such amazing work with your hands. I hate it when gnats show up to visit my plants - and the vinegar solution does really work. I pray you have the most blessed and wonderful time as you cruise! I don't blame you for unplugging from media, and just relaxing and enjoying your time! Many blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's February 2nd and your birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY and many blessings to you, my dear friend! Love you lots! I will answer your email as soon as I get a spare minute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, I said the wrong day, or maybe not. I have a new planner and I think I messed up on a few dates somewhere. Annnnnnnyway, still.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete