Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Snow!

Happy Tuesday morning! Well, we finally got the snow that’s been predicted several times. We ended up with just a little over 6 inches, which doesn’t sound like much, but the winds are gusting to 40 mph, which is causing a lot of blowing, drifting and ice. The kids have been out of school yesterday and today. Toward the end of the week the HIGHS aren’t supposed to be above 0 F for 3-4 days. We’ve been spoiled by a very warm winter so far. This will be brutal! I hope it clears up a bit for out drive to Texas next week.

This photo is taken of the back garden area behind the condo. In the summer you can't see those houses, just the trees by the creek. There are coyotes and other small animals that live down there in the woods. This is where we take Zoey outside. She does NOT like the snow. We carry her outside and Dennis kicks an area clear of snow for her to use, then we carry her back inside. 

This is our balcony area. I don't think I'll be outside sipping tea today!
This is where I’m sitting instead. In my nice comfy chair in front of the fire.



I thought this was completely accurate for Zoey. Lizzie on the other hand, loves the snow and buries her face in it whenever she gets the chance.
I saw this photo on FB and was struck by how much this dog looks like Zoey, but it's not her. The yarn is the new Red Heart granny square yarn that automatically changes colors. It doesn't look like the dog is thrilled with it's new coat.

Miss Piper went to a painting class last week with two of her friends from when she was in pre-school. They go to different schools now but are still best friends. Pipers is the one on the left with the bumblebee. Isn't it beautiful? Purple is my favorite color and I love bumblebees too, so this is perfect in my book.💜 I think she did a great job.

I finished her sweater on Sunday and washed and blocked it yesterday. She hasn't tried it on yet though, because of the snow. I have the yarn to make her one more in either the pattern of her sage green sweater I made last month, or this one. After she tries this one on she'll let me know which pattern she wants the next one made in. That sweater will be a rusty orange color.

I started this prayer shawl for the hospital yesterday. It's just called the "Triangle Shawl" and it's free on Ravelry. I'm using an "H" hook and Caron Skinny Cakes in the Baked Alaska colorway.

Today is Dennis's birthday and we have no plans at all. We don't ever do much for our birthdays. Maybe go out to dinner somewhere. But because of the roads today, we're staying home and I'm making homemade noodles for chicken and noodles. Since my birthday is February 1, we're considering the cruise as a gift for both of our birthdays since it's right in between.  A much, much bigger gift than usual!

It's been very quiet around here since the new year. I've been knitting on Piper's sweater, dealing with Mom stuff, etc. and normal day to day things. I almost forgot to tell you that Dennis was able to take his hand brace off after six months! He has to keep it handy, no pun intended, until he goes back to the surgeon at the end of February. If he lifts anything heavy or shovels snow, etc., he still has to wear it, but for day to day, he's FREE! It's stiff and his wrist and arm are weak, but he's using it as he can and purposely trying to build up strength again in that arm.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and stay warm and dry if you're in the north and cool if you live in the southern hemisphere. As always, I’m keeping Israel, the hostages and it’s people in my prayers, as well as the innocents in Gaza.

Blessings and love,
Betsy


20 comments:

  1. That looks pretty cold to me! We don't have snow, but it's very windy and supposed to get much colder this weekend. The plants that thought it was spring aren't going to be happy. Piper sure did a nice painting! And I'm so glad Dennis has his brace off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that Dennis's surgery went well! And "freedom" just in time for your cruise! All your projects are just beautiful. I think Piper gets her creative gene from you. We were forecast snow over the weekend and got nothing. The big storm was last night. My grandkids who live west of us have snow and the school is closed. The grandkids that live to the east of us got ice and a school delay. We are in the high forties with rain, but the winds are starting so it seems much colder. We picked up our grandson from preschool and my hair looked like I just got out of the shower - it was raining so hard! But - it isn't snow, LOL. Your fireplace looks so inviting. When we built our addition, people asked why we didn't put in a fire place. I think we were too young. Now I would love to have one - just looking at it makes me feel warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your snow is so pretty. We are having a total wash out today - heavy rain...getting heavier as the day progresses into tonight and also high winds. Lovely. Piper's painting is nice - she did a great job. You sure do keep busy Betsy! It will be nice for you to be on a cruise and just relax for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow is so pretty and that fireplace looks VERY inviting. I take it you have a gas fireplace?

    The snow we had is mostly washed away by buckets, and buckets of rain. It is supposed to get really bad tonight (right at rush hour). I 'm guessing Steve will be out later blocking the flooded roads up in town. At least he can sit in the truck with the heater on and let the truck lights do all the work. LOL

    Piper's sweater looks great. Isn't it nice to have someone to wear all the lovely things you make?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been watching for a new post from you. I wanted to thank you for the Christmas card and lovely letter. You are such a thoughtful person. And a wonderful knitter. Amazing how quickly you finished Piper's sweater. It just might be the prettiest one yet.
    Good news that Dennis doesn't have to keep his brace on all the time. What a relief that must be for him. Please pass on happy birthday wishes for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Piper's cardigan looks fantastic! So warm and squishy.

    We've got no snow right now - it's raining. There was snow this morning but it changed to rain mid-morning and has been pouring non-stop. Temps are supposed to turn by the end of the weekend, but then shoot up again mid-week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I love a cozy snow day! Your spot by the fire looks perfect. Your granddaughter's painting is beautiful!!! I love the bee. Happy Birthday to your man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI BECKY, ENVIDIO TU NIEVE JAJAJA, AQUI HACE TANTO CALOR, NUESTRO VERANO SIEMPRE ES CALIENTE Y ALGO HUMEDO, AYER FUE MI CUMPLEAÑOS NUMERO 64, ¿DONDE SE VA EL TIEMPO? ESPERO PRONTO PUBLICAR FOTOS Y LA DE LA BODA DE MI HIJA DANA. ESTOY TRABAJANDO EN VARIOS PROYECTOS DE TEJIDOS Y BORDADOS, ME MANTIENE OCUPADO ASI NO PIENSO TANTO EN EL CALOR QUE HACE Y EN LOS MOLESTOS VECINOS QUE SIGUEN EN SU MANERA IMPIA DE VIVIR, BENDICIONES Y PROSPERO AÑO NUEVO PARA TI Y LOS TUYOS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI BECKY, I ENVY YOUR SNOW HAHAHA, IT'S SO HOT HERE, OUR SUMMER IS ALWAYS HOT AND A LITTLE WET, YESTERDAY WAS MY 64TH BIRTHDAY, WHERE IS THE WEATHER GOING? I HOPE TO PUBLISH PHOTOS AND THE ONE OF MY DAUGHTER DANA'S WEDDING SOON. I'M WORKING ON SEVERAL FABRIC AND EMBROIDERY PROJECTS, IT KEEPS ME BUSY SO I DON'T THINK SO MUCH ABOUT THE HEAT AND THE ANNOYING NEIGHBORS WHO CONTINUE IN THEIR UNFORTULY WAY OF LIVING, BLESSINGS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR YOU AND YOURS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your picture at the end, Betsy. So glad to hear that Dennis got his sling off....that's great news. Oh you are making such beautiful sweaters for Piper. What a lucky girl she is. So you finally got some snow.....we did too and now the temperature is going to plunge for us as well as you. Hope it doesn't last too long!
    Can't wait to hear about your upcoming travels and cruise. Praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s cold, cold, COLD in Laramie, and the winds are gusts 50-60 mph. Today, snow tried to fall, but with the wind, it’s on its way to Nebraska! Great job on Piper’s sweater - so pretty. Happy Birthday to Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have more snow than we do! Stay war:) I saw that new yarn that makes granny squares...I am not so sure about it...my gauge would always be off:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my! We do get lulled into thinking we've missed winter and then January strikes! I'm glad you (and Zoey) have a warm place to wait out the cold temps! Hooray for getting Dennis' brace off! And a happy birthday to him! The sweater for Piper is gorgeous and so is her painting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Send me some of that snow please. I got out all my woollies and washed them last weekend and right now I've got all the windows open. This is one crazy winter-again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me again. I just read the comment that you left on my blog. You mentioned Lorraine and I remembered her blog and her sweet nature. I sure was sad when she passed away. Thanks for reminding me ( was it this time of the year? I must go check.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are getting the low temperatures too! We got about a foot of snow Monday night, and it keeps snowing here, but not much accumulation. Then the end of the week its supposed to be sub zero temps. Definitely not looking forward to all the cold temperatures, but thankful we got the snow! Your sweater for Piper is so beautiful! I pray you and Dennis have safe travels next week! And definitely keeping all the needs around the world in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cartoon was adorable! I had to run over to Facebook to share it. :) Glad you didn't get the foot of snow which was forecast, but yes, 6 inches is plenty. Loved your projects as always!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would sure be in front of the fireplace too! No snow here in Texas but we are forecast with lows in the 20's next week. That is very cold for us. Happy Birthday to Dennis, great news that he is free of his brace. Hope he continues to heal and his hand becomes stronger each day. The little dog with the granny square coat looks so miserable, lol, I don't think he likes it. Piper did great on her painting, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoy seeing snow you have in your area. I know it's cold though!! You're going to make another sweater for Piper?? : - > I am sure she enjoys the sweaters you make her. I hope Dennis' arm and hand feel better soon. Happy birthday to Dennis!! Enjoy the cruise you will be on! I plan on sending you something for your birthday. Will you be on the cruise ship on that day? Have fun!!! I got a 20# ice melt bag at hardware store today. Our weather is to be freezing with some snow or maybe Ice. Friday is the day it start to getting to freezing and next week? Will see what happens!!! I am doing better in physical therapy which is good. I enjoy being there. I do it once a week! Have a good day and stay warm and blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had snow on Sunday and more is coming tomorrow. I'm getting my crochet hooks out again and I'm going to crochet leg warmers. I need something in addition to leggings to keep my legs warm under my dresses and skirts.

    ReplyDelete