Monday, February 12, 2024

Busy Days

Hello again. I'm back with an update on our drive home to Nebraska from Texas and what's been happening since. I apologize if it's long. It's certainly been busy around here. I haven't even had time to be online yet today to check your blogs. I hope to do that right after I finish posting this.

On the way home from the cruiseport in Galveston we decided to take a detour across the state of Texas to San Antonio.  We left the ship around 9:00 Saturday and drove to San Antonio where we stayed the night. We had lunch on Sunday with a very sweet lady named Terri who has a YouTube channel called "Yarn Joy" that I have watched for several years, since her very first video.  She and her husband met us after church for lunch at a great Mexican restaurant. Terri and I hit it off right away and Dennis and her husband also found some common interests, so the guys had a conversation while Terri and I talked grandkids and yarn! It was SO FUN! The time passed so quickly and before we knew it we all had to part ways. I love meeting my online friends in "real life." We both thought it would be a great thing if we lived closer together and could spend some time crocheting with each other. I always look like such a giant. :-(

We also visited "The Alamo" in San Antonio. We've always wanted to go there and it was so interesting. We could have spent a lot more time there, but parking was hard to come by and we used up our entire allotted time on the parking meter. We had a few phone calls about Mom while we were there and by the time we left, our minds weren't really on The Alamo anyway.

The heroes of the Alamo. They really didn't stand a chance. 182 men against Santa Anna's 6000.

We stayed in Austin Sunday night and on Monday morning, we visited with one of Dennis's long time customers from before he retired. They were very surprised and happy to see him. He went to Austin many times to see them through the years and they also visited Spokane. I was glad to see how pleased they were to see him again.

After that, we headed to Waco, TX and the Magnolia Market and The Silos, where Chip and Joanna Gaines from HGTV fame have a fun space. Lots of little shops and the bigger market. I had gone there a little over a year ago with my sister Melanie and niece Chaela, but I wanted Dennis to see the silos. I did find a nice heavy 9 x 9 cake pan for Mandy. She's always cooking and baking something and this seems like a pan that will last a long time. 

The obligatory picture in front of the sign. We both HATE selfies. 

I am always impressed when I see real flowers blooming in the winter months. I have no idea what they were but there were boxes and boxes of them everywhere. Cabbage roses? I don't know!

And the silos. That's the industry Dennis was in for years and years.  Although he designed silos made with galvanized metal, not concrete. He traveled all over the world, since his sales territory was Montana, the Middle East, Africa and Europe! :-) I'm sure glad he doesn't travel those places anymore with the craziness in that part of the world. He used to go to the Ukraine often along with other places that are now very dangerous. That was before he became part of management and he didn't travel much after that.

After that we drove on to Wichita and stayed in a hotel one more night before we made a beeline for home and our own bed after almost two weeks away. We arrived home and immediately set in with life. 

We toured several Assisted Living places and then took Mom back to the one we really liked last Thursday. She really liked it too and to try to make a VERY, VERY long story short, we're moving her on Friday of this week. Meanwhile she's had several doctors appointments scheduled during these two weeks that we had planned even before our cruise. Today, the nursing director came to visit her in her current apartment to evaluate her and so I could let her know all of her prescriptions. Dennis had to work today and tomorrow, so I've been running all over. Tonight we picked up a twin bedframe that I found on facebook marketplace. It's in almost new condition for a very good price. Tomorrow I'm driving his HUGE truck to Costco to pick up the new mattresses. Pray for me. That thing is so big and I'm used to my little Honda CRV. His truck is an F350 diesel and even sounds big! Ha! I've bought her all new bed linens, mattress pads, comfortor, etc.  Wednesday we sign all of the admission paperwork and start packing. Friday morning we've hired the Firefighters to move her furniture. She'll be able to take it all with her except the queen size bed. She's fine with that. We had the Firefighters move us last May and they are wonderful.  We just can't do it all anymore. This makes 6 moves between us and Mom in the last 2 1/2 years! We're the people that usually stay put!

This facility will take care of all of her medications and her insulin injections. While we were gone the company that was supposed to take care of her insulin and blood glucose testing dropped the ball at least once. Again. It's happened a few times and we have to run over there and give her her shot. That's why it's hard to go anywhere. We worry about her the entire time. Plus, her memory is getting worse all of the time and we're really worried about her wandering off. This facility is one where you have to be buzzed into or out of the building, but they have several nice sized courtyards that she can take her walks in. She does love to walk. It's a super nice place and has been voted number one in Omaha for several years. Plus, we've known several relatives that have lived there and a friend too. They've all like it so...here we are. No one said this was easy did they? Another plus? She's only about 5 blocks from our condo. We can get there very quickly if need be.

Last weekend Grandpa helped Miss Piper work on her Valentine box for school. Can you guess what it is? It's the quidditch field from Harry Potter. She came up with all of the ideas, Papa just provided an extra set of hands to hold things while she applied tape. I think it turned out great. We're so glad to be close enough to her to do school things and just experience life with her. We missed out on our two oldest grands since they live in Montana and also with Baby J in London. We facetime lots, but it's not the same.  Her Papa sure  does love her and so do I.

Mandy and I went to the Jane Austin Book Club on Saturday where we're reading Mansfield Park. When Mandy graduated from nursing school, the two of us went to London for a week. We also visited Bath, Jane Austins home. Mandy has always been a fan of hers. Since Brad was helping a friend move, Papa spent a few hours with Piper and then took her to a friends birthday party. We love doing those things. 

Here's our girl, ready to cheer on the KC Chiefs last night! And they won! Guess who's a happy girl? She's definitely a KC fan. She even has a "superbowl" ring replica from their last win. Her Uncle Bill makes sure she knows about sports. He takes her to the College World Series every year too. Bill is Brad's brother and also lives close by. He's definitely a doting uncle. 
Now, quickly to the crafty part of the blog because I'm writing waaaay too much tonight. I finished the wheelchair lapghan that I started before we left on vacation. I got about 20 or so of the 48 squares done before we left and finished it right after we got back. I tried to replicate that new Red Heart granny square yarn with yarn from my stash. I came pretty close to one of the colorways. This will be donated, maybe to the memory care at Mom's new place. Zoey seems to be asking if you like it? :-)

Last week I started Piper's latest and third sweater I've made her in the past two months.  It's a mix between the Portage and the Pure Comfort sweater patterns. The sage green one I made her is the Pure Comfort and the white one is the Portage. She likes different things about both, so I'm combining those parts in this sweater. I'm using JoAnn Fabrics Big Twist yarn in Dark Coral. I'm working on the bottom ribbing now. Not much is going to be happening with it this week because of the move. There isn't much time to knit.

I'm sorry to drone on and on. It does help to decompress with typing it out. It really has been a stressful time since we got home. Wishing you all a wonderful Valentines Day.  Remember that God ALWAYS love you.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

18 comments:

  1. What a special land newsy post, Betsy. I've enjoyed every word of it! I'm so glad to hear that you've found a good Assisted-Living place for "Mom". It sounds like it will be the perfect place for her. May the move go smoothly for all of you.
    I love that new sweater you're making for Piper.....she'll look great in it. I was rooting for the KC Chiefs too, as their Head Coach Andy Reid used to be one of our Packer coaches years ago. It was fun hearing about all the places you visited in Texas on your way back home. Glad you had such a good trip. God Bless You both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Zoey is saying "can I keep it"???? LOL Sure does look like she loves that blanket.

    I'm glad Dennis' mom will like the new place she is going. It sure will be a weight off your minds AND she is close enough to visit regularly.

    Welcome home and now ....... I hope you can have some quiet time soon.

    Take care of yourselves too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can well imagine how happy you were to be back in your own home, your own bed. No matter how wonderful time away is, there's no place like home ( to quote Dorothy).
    I hope your Mom will settle in and like her new place. It's good that you have help moving all her belongings. Happy Valentines Day to you and Dennis. ( You both look great!!!) πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—πŸ’—

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two sure are busy!! I had thought that Dennis Mom was already in an assisted living place, but I'm glad you've found one that she likes and that is close. That should ease your minds a lot. Zoey thinks that blanket is hers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The year my mom died my dad was in such a bad state that I packed him in the car and we drove to the Alamo, a place he always wanted to see. San Antonio is such a beautiful city. I loved the River Walk.
    I LOVE Piper's shirt. I'm a Silver Swifty myself....lol. I can't listen to anything of hers without getting it stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So much happening in your lives! I am so glad you were able to take that nice vacation/cruise when you did, because it seems like you've been in high gear and running hard ever since you got back home. I am glad your MIL will be moved to such a nice place, and that it is close to you. That will be a blessing. I'm glad that the Assisted Living people will take care of her medications, etc. That is really a load off of your minds. Love the afghan and the sweater...you are so talented. I love the coral color! I know Piper will be proud to wear it! I am glad the KC team won...I really didn't care that much about who won, but I was rooting for them. It was fun. Have a blessed week and try to get some rest in between all the action. God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always special when online friendships translate into real-life connections, and it sounds like you had a wonderful time bonding over shared interests in crochet, family, and good food. It's moments like these that truly enrich our lives and create lasting memories. I hope you had a fantastic time catching up with your online friends and that your journey back home to Nebraska was smooth. Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

    Check out my new post

    ReplyDelete
  8. When my son graduated from the AF academy we went and visited the Alamo--great memories of the river walk, too. Glad you are home and tackling an important need for your mil; hope things go well! You did well on the lapghan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a wonderful place for Mom and will hopefully bring you both some peace of mind. Hope the move goes smooth and it's the last one you have to deal with for at least a few years - lol
    Piper is so cute - and so lucky to have you guys close.
    You've definitely go a lot going on! But it's good to be busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a busy week - well, weeks! But busy in such a fun way. So nice that you were able to add even more fun to your trip! Love that new sweater. Piper is blessed to have such special things to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, my friend! I am so happy to read of your visits and of you being Home Sweet Home. I am happy to hear you found the perfect assisted living place for your mother in law. My mom lived in a lovely place like that and it was wonderful for her and for us. I absolutely love the Valentine Box! What a clever idea and fabulous execution! Your selfie is awesome, by the way! Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying Betsy, thank you for the update, may the Angel of the LORD encamp about you in all your doings (including driving, moving and all else) as His word is promises this protection to those Who love Him.

    Beautiful photos. Think your birthday is this month too so happy birthday for when it is.

    I sent you the newspaper article because you pray for Israel and you came to mind when read of God's miracle there for two hostages praying for the others too.

    The media might be negative and repressive but God Loves his people Israel and will watch over them as well as you and mum in her big move.
    Prayer hugs,
    Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have been so busy, much luck with the move on Friday hopefully she likes it there. Your Piper is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I enjoyed your post Betsy! And I love long dresses. Your travels and pictures are so fun to see. Thanks for your visits to my blog...I always love your comments. Happy Valentines Day...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading your post as there's good things to view where you were at in TX. Megan's has a dream of going to see Chip and Joanna Gaines store. She likes to buy her items and has her magazine. Thanks for the birthday card that arrived today! Much appreciated, Betsy, my sweet friend! It has been raining some today and a bit warmer than Tuesday. I hope things go well as you are moving mom to another place that will be better for her. You're in my thoughts and prayers, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I just got through reading all your posts and it was like reading a good book and the photos of the cruise were awesome! Your knitting items are all beautiful and Piper is a lucky girl to have such great grandparents. I can't possibly comment on all your exciting events but I'm glad you got your MIL taken care of so you don't have to worry. I'm so glad you had a such a great trip and that you and Dennis are able to relax and enjoy yourself. I will try and stay on top of your blog! LOL!
    Hugs and glad you are home safe and sound.
    Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for taking us along with you on your journey and yes! How wonderful to see flowers growing in February. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There's no place like home and no place like your own bed when it comes to a good night's sleep. I'm glad you had a nice trip and it sounds like you found a lovely place for your mom. Praying that your mom settles in and feels comfortable in her new home, also that she will make some sweet Christian friends there.

    ReplyDelete