Tuesday, September 12, 2023

We’re Home!

Well, we’re back and everyone of us is sick. It’s not a vacation without someone getting sick is it? Well, I was the first one that started it all out. We arrived on Monday morning and by Tuesday night I was sick. I ran a temp over 100 and even over 101 for several days, so I didn’t dare go around people. Believe it or not I missed all of the wedding festivities. The preparation’s, the rehearsal dinner, the wedding itself. Sunday afternoon I finally felt good enough to go to lunch at “The Mill” and sit on the grass and visit with people in the outdoors. Dennis, Mandy, and Brad all have it now too. Alex tells us that the three of them are also showing the same symptoms of sore throat, runny nose, and cough. I tested myself twice during the week and was negative for the dreaded Covid. I know that there are still normal, colds, and things out there, but whenever you cough or sneeze people look at you and it’s very nice to be able to say “I tested myself, it’s not Covid.” It gives most people a lot of relief to hear you say that. Although, I did stay away from everyone except my family, who was staying in the house with me. Even then, I stayed in my bedroom at both of the Airbnb‘s in London and in Cambridge so as not to share germs  with anyone.

I do have just a few photos to share with you. The first one is our layover in Charlotte. Brad is reading a manual for work of some kind, and everyone else was off exploring as we had a few hours there.

Before I got really sick, we went out to lunch with Alex and my best friend Jenny, who had just arrived from Ireland. She took a two week tour of Ireland before coming to London for a little over a week. We ate at the best Thai restaurant called Took-Took, in West Hampstead. Jenny leaves to go back to Spokane on Thursday.
I didn’t get any decent photos of our London Airbnb because it had all of the family around and as you know, I don’t post photos of either our daughter-in-law or the baby. But this is the street that our Cambridge Airbnb was on. It was a quaint little area and very quiet. Oh my goodness it was hot while we were there! And of course, there is no air conditioning anywhere. Don’t those chimneys remind you of Mary Poppins?

This was our bedroom upstairs overlooking the street.

I loved the old-fashioned bathroom, especially the floor.

We even had a little fireplace in our room.

These stairs are even more steep than they look. I don’t think it would be very easy to get old in this house.

The kitchen had obviously been remodeled recently with a fantastic stove, and lots and lots of cabinets with dishes and glasses and cups galore.

Even a washing machine is provided along with that cool retro refrigerator.

There is a piano to play, a stereo with albums from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Perfect for us if we had had time to play them. There was even a nice backyard outside of those doors.

On Sunday was a lunch at “The Mill” in Cambridge. Right outside is a little park where we could sit and visit in the breeze and watch the people go by in punts.

Isn’t it a lovely view? Our daughter-in-law’s sister lived in the building on the left while she was completing her advanced degree.

Here are two of my handsome man while waiting for the wedding to begin. Dennis officiated just as he did for our daughter Mandy, and that’s our handsome son Alex waiting for his bride. You all know, the story of how they’ve actually been married for over two years, but had planned this wedding several times, having to cancel because of Covid. She had such a gorgeous dress, and it was decided to just have their wedding anyway, and renew their vows.

Mandy, Brad and Piper all dressed up in their wedding finery. Piper was the flower girl and was in charge of the bags of flower confetti for after the service. I’m told that she did a wonderful job.

I’m so sorry I can’t share pictures of our dear daughter-in-law and baby “J”. Baby “J’s” dress was just like Piper’s and she walked down the aisle too. It was a fun ceremony from start to finish of the day, ending with an ice cream bar that I’m sure was very appreciated by the overheated guests. At least that’s what I’m told. Obviously I wasn’t there to join in. Can you believe it? Apparently, Saturday it was a record setting day for heat in the UK. We spent eight days in there and I had five of them in bed trying not to give the crud to others. And it was hot the entire time with a cool down expected today.

There is a reason for everything though, and I know that the kids have forgiven me for it. My biggest regret is that I won’t be in any of the wedding photos because I know that was important to them. For myself, I don’t care if I ever have my photo taken again!😂

This was our view from the airplane window just before we started our descent into Omaha. It was definitely good to be back in the Midwest with it’s wide-open spaces. And, can you believe it, much, much cooler temperatures than were here before we left or in London while we were gone? We slept with the windows wide open last night and it was wonderful.

Now that I’m home home, I will try to start catching up on blog’s again. It was so late last night when we got home and fell into bed and then Dennis had to be up at 4:00 am this morning to take his brother to the airport. Doug did a great job with Mom this week and they had a good time together. She celebrated her 87th birthday yesterday. Woo-hoo!

Take care and stay well everyone.

Blessings and love,
Betsy


20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry that you had to miss the wedding celebrations-glad you are safely home and feeling better! Hope everyone else is well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so sad that you were sick and missed out on the wedding and festivities after traveling so far! I'm glad it wasn't Covid and that you got home safe and sound. To be sick and no AC....that was no fun I'm sure. I'm just sick to think you missed it all. Thank you for the photos, I always wondered what those English homes looked like inside. The family looked pretty spiffy all dressed up on their finery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Betsy I am so sorry that you missed the wedding! I am glad that you didn't have COVID. Glad you are feeling better and back home safe and sound. I loved your photos of the Airbnb... really nice accomodations. Take good care of yourself and I hope that everyone else recovers very soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, my dear friend. My heart hurts for you being sick and missing the festivities. The thing that stands out to me, however, is the way you handled it. Your words show your grace and class and are such an inspiration for us. Loved the photos of the inside of the homes! And of your beautiful family! Hugs and love. Enjoy your own shower and bed, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are home safely and so sorry you had to miss the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word. I can't imagine being ill and being in a house with no a/c. Sorry you had to miss the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my so sorry you had to get sick while you were there. I know you had looked forward to this trip and the wedding for so long. Piper sure had a pretty dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Betsy, I am so sorry that you had to miss the wedding and all the other activities that had been planned for your visit. I know you must have felt terrible about missing the wedding but it couldn't be helped with you getting sick. Your son and daughter-in-law will always have the story to tell as to why you are not in any of their wedding photos:) We are lucky to have A/C. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry you had to fly all that way just to get stuck in bed being sick! I'm glad you are home safely now and that you got to see everyone if not the way you had planned! The photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Piper sure is a cutie and so grown up! Sorry you missed the wedding and that you were so sick, but glad you're back home and all better. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear Betsy, so very sad to hear that you had to miss the wedding and that you and so many have been sick! That is so disappointing, but you have a great attitude in spite of it all. The pictures you shared are great! I've never been to London (or anywhere out of the USA really), so it all seems so surreal to me. It is beautiful, but I think like you I would be happy to see the wide open spaces of home again. I tend to be claustrophobic, and those places would definitely have affected me that way! But maybe not in person. Anyway, I am glad you are home safe and sound, and I am so sorry things didn't work out the way you had planned...but still you got to be near and there's a blessing in there somewhere for you I am certain. (((hugs))) and welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home! Oh dear, Betsy. Certainly not what everyone would have hoped for your trip, but what else could you do? Indeed it's a story for your family to remember. Praying that everyone is back to good health quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome home! I'm so sorry to learn you were I'll during the whole trip and missed the wedding and all. We had a few cool days this week, but it will go back up to 80s in a day or so. The Kansas State Fair is going on and the weather is always up to its antics every year. Haha. Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my first time on your blog. I'm coming over from Closed Doors, Open Windows. My stomach hurt when I read you weren't able to see the wedding, I'm sorry that happened. Glad you're feeling better though and the illness wasn't more serious. The pictures are so pretty, the architecture, your family, the kitchen of the Airbnb! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you had a good flight to/from England. Sorry you were sick but I am glad you're feeling better. There is always something virus going around. I remember me not being able to help give food to people last Thanksgiving in Salem with union gospel mission. Nice Airbnb. We've been to Cambridge a few times whilst in England. My implants are healed so I will get my crowns put on soon. I'm glad I'm done with going to Clackamas but the dentist and workers are kind. I get it done at my regular dentist. Have a good night sleep where it's cooler. ~blessing, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a disappointing time for you. I’m sorry you missed the wedding celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You must be so happy to be home again even though the disappointment of being ill and missing all the festivities is crushing. How I wish it could have been otherwise but no use wishing. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry to hear you missed the wedding, but at least you got to spend some time with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hugs to you and prayers to God for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That European Bathroom is Divine. I haven't been to England since the early 1970s... Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete