Wednesday, August 23, 2023

It’s HOT!!!!

Yes, that’s multiple exclamation marks! It has been awful here for the last four days. This is what the temperature said in my car on Wednesday. Do you see the "feels like" temperature? 119F! It has said basically the same thing since Sunday, and I’m sure it will be at least that again today according to the weatherman. And guess what? We woke up yesterday to our AC not working. Oh my goodness, it was hot sleeping last night. The humidity was up to 97% and only down to 80F during the night. But, we had a miracle happen, a repairman was out about 10:00 this morning and it's running again. We're down to 81 in the condo now. Apparently, the capacitator gave out. He said it's happening all over town because the A/C's are built for 95F and 50% humidity. We have been running much higher than that for both.

Right after we woke up to the broken A/C, Mom called and said her holter monitor was beeping. I dressed quickly and went over there to check it out. The battery was low so I had to sit there for 1 1/2 hours while it charged.  Sunday we were almost to church when Mandy called and said Grandma told her it fell off and she was holding it to her chest. We turned around and drove back across town to find that it had come off in the shower. I placed a new adhesive patch for her and re-attached everything, but by then it was too late to go to Sunday School. Just another day in our lives.

But the A/C and monitor batteries  weren't the only things that happened yesterday. I was on my way to pick up prescriptions for Mom when I had a flat tire. At 3:00 in the afternoon. It was SO HOT! I got the tire changed at a tire shop down the street and got the RX's, but oh my goodness what a day!

In addition to that, Dennis had his appointment yesterday with the surgeon about his hand and they scheduled the next surgery for November 2. He will basically have to have his thumb cut off and put back together with screws and plates. Not great news since it was the person who made the original splint that caused it to heal wrong.

Monday my entire morning was spent with Mom buying shoes. The salesman was amazing. Her feet have really been bothering her because of neuropathy and swelling. She desperately needed new shoes.

Look at these piles of boxes. She tried EVERYTHING on several times because she didn't remember trying them on. He just patiently put them on her and tied the laces again and again. Probably at least 100 times, maybe more.  She just couldn't remember anything and was getting frazzled. We ended up getting her three pairs and hopefully it will help her feet be less painful. We were there 2 1/2 hours! This kind of thing is partially why I don't get much knitting or crocheting done anymore, but it's okay. She needs us and we do love her. I admit to getting frustrated at times, but I think that's only human. I hope it is.

Here's Dennis's newly released hand from the splint, for a couple of months anyway. He's having trouble moving it after so long in a splint but I think it will eventually improve.

And I finally remembered to take a picture of my shawl for the wedding. It looks black, but it's really a very dark navy and cream with a few places of a lighter blue. The original design was knit and only went to just before the lacey part. It was way too small, so I added the big crochet border. 

This shows the crochet border and beads in both sections, knit and crochet.

Another angle. I think I have a few thousand beads in this thing. What do you all think? Do you think it will it be okay with my dress I put in a previous post? I'm glad to have something to cover my back and my front too.

I've worked on this a bit since I finished the shawl. It's to hot to pick it up right now though. It will be a baby blanket for charity.

And finally, I know I'm late to the game, but I wanted to say how saddened we both are about the devastation on Maui. We love the island and have been there several times. Here we are with our photo under the beautiful and historical Banyan Tree that's been on the news so much. It was a gorgeous tree. We went to the elementary school's craft fair there under the tree and bought Christmas ornaments that I cherish. Such great memories. We spent a lot of time on Maui and had a couple of favorite restaurants in Lahaina that we went to many times. 

The harbor at Lahaina. Our hearts go out to everyone there who lost relatives and friends, as well as those who lost their homes, businesses and jobs in the fires. Dennis has clients that he worked with for years that live on Maui near Haiku. One of their homes just missed being destroyed in the upcountry fire.

As if this all isn't enough. Our beautiful Spokane is surrounded by fires right now. I mean CLOSE. The Medical Lake, or Gray Fire, is just west of Spokane. We have lots of friends that worked in Medical Lake and our kids went to college very close by. Over 185 homes have been destroyed there so far and it's only 15% contained. Many of you may remember Jeremy and Alicia who live at the base of Mt. Spokane. They were evacuated on Friday and are still under evacuation orders. They don't know if their home is still there or not. We have lots of friends who live and have been evacuated from the fire north of Spokane, the Oregon Road Fire.  It's really awful and the air quality has been very bad for those in town. Please pray for all of them

Boy howdy, this seems like a downer of a post. I didn't mean it that way. So many are suffering because of fires. We had one bad day with lots go wrong, but it's not usually like that. We're normally pretty happy campers and one bad day isn't enough to bring us down. Try our patience? Yes. But bring us down? Nope.

We're doing great! Especially now that the AC is on again. It's still warm in here but it will get better. I never want to leave you on a low note. We know that God is with us and cares for each one of us. 

Take care my friends. Stay cool if it's hot where you are too. We're told we have another couple of days of this and then the weekend will be better. Thumbs up to that! :-)

Blessings and love.
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. Your shawl is lovely with beads in it. I'm sure it will look nice with your dress to wear at your son's wedding. Praying Dennis hand will feel better soon and surgery won't be as bad as expected 🙏 ❤️. It is cooler here but into low 90s Thurs thru Saturday. Our ac quit working 2 different times 2 weeks ago. It was shut off for 20 minutes then started working again on Monday and Tuesday evenings. That's what happens when it's over 100 degrees for 2 days. I hope your mom likes the shoes you got her. Habakkuk 3:17-19 is interesting scripture verses as well in hard times we go through. I just read all 3 chapters of Habakkuk last night. It was in bible study I've been through lately. Always something to think about in life in tough times in life. The Lord is our strength. Have a blessed week , my friend 💖, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl is beautiful and it should look great with your dress! You did a great job adding some length to it. I hope you are cooled off by now and stay that way. It seems like when one thing goes wrong, other challenges follow. Keep smiling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW, you've certainly been put through some hard paces!!! Glad it's all worked out and maybe you can enjoy the days ahead with less stress. A broken a/c is terrible during this heat, so good to hear it was back up and running the very next day, although sleeping that night must have been awful. I cared for my MoM for some years before the Lord called her home, she got a little ornery sometimes, but when you get to where you need help with almost everything I guess a little ornery is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your life has had some rough times lately but your wonderful attitude shines through. Your shawl is beautiful and the beads are a gorgeous addition.
    Stay cool if it's possible. Hopefully cooler weather is on the way.
    Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly had a lot on your plate this week. I just bought a pair of Altra running shoes. They are very cushiony. Will I spend THAT much money again? Not sure. We'll see how they hold up/feel when I'm actually running this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Betsy, it sure does upset your life when even the little things don't go right! I'm sorry about the AC - that is just awful in such terrible heat, but I am thankful your repairman showed up to help you out! And bless your Momma's heart, I can imagine how difficult it is to find new shoes that are comfortable. You are right - the smoke here has been horrible. The fires started last Friday, and have been so intense. It is just absolutely heartbreaking to see and read the stories. I don't know anyone personally who has lost their home, but the fact that these fires keeps growing is just so sad! I've heard many rumors about possible arsonists, and even those in the homeless camps starting the fires, which is terrible. We continue in prayer for all those affected. The smoke has been awful, and I know you are glad not to have to deal with it! Enjoy your AC! And the shawl is just beautiful! Your work is amazing. Our hearts mourn with the Maui people who have lost everything. These things are just heartbreaking! So much to pray about, for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad things tend to come in threes. That’s behind you now so enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Betsy, for always being positive in the midst of so many problems, both in your world and the whole world over. May I join my prayers to yours for all those who are suffering these days. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your shawl turned out lovely. Sorry to hear about Dennis' required surgery in November...that sounds so serious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one thing I will always remember is how kind people were when I was dragging my poor old demented dad around in his wheelchair. Whenever I get down on the state of the world I remember those kind people. Like Mr. Rogers said..."look for the helpers". There are still plenty of them out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can (probably) request a meeting with the finance department about the original splint not being done correctly in the first place, causing this need for an upcoming surgery. We've done that at least twice with things done to Jerry (we didn't need an appointment, just walked in and waited). They don't like bad reviews or publicity about mistakes like that. They gave huge credits that helped us so much. // Ugh, I hate shopping nowadays. People are always so rude everywhere I go. You are so lucky to have had that fellow helping mom. We need a few thousand more of him in every store! // The AC apartment units in our building have all been glitching for weeks on end, plus the main AC units for the office, community room and hallways. Ours has had trouble three (or was it four?) times this summer. And we also had those two weeks of the elevator not working (which happens every year, sometimes 2-3 times a year). I've never been so hot and tired than I have this past month or so. // Just to let you know, my son was in the emergency room this week. I'm going to try to squeeze in a post before the weekend is out. // The shawl is EXCELLENT and BEAUTIFUL!! You did great on the edges, very nice!! // Sending you lots of love and hugs, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying Betsy. God is there in the midst... at Spokane and with you and everyone everything you're burdened about, I'm agreeing praying with you.
    "He faileth not."
    Praying re dear ones, here and your trip to UK Shawl is beautiful, and I'm with you on being covered in those areas, it will be blessed am sure.
    Praying too re mum and Dennis's op. Thanks for praying for me
    ... in God’s mercy hopefully might come a bit better, if not, He will give me grace sufficient. Meanwhile I serve Him the best I can and pray for you and many others.
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz.X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, it's hot has heck here. We also just had two weeks of unbearable humidity. I was still walking in the evenings but would come home drenched and a couple of times felt nauseous so would have to take a break for a night or two. Now the heat is back on and it's 115 or more each day. Ugh! I've just read several of your posts and it sounds like you are keeping super busy. I can't believe Piper is starting 5th grade. The sweaters you knit are all very sweet and I'm sure will be perfect. The news of terrible fires in many places is heart wrenching. So much destruction, so much lost. Crazy storms and flooding elsewhere. Sorry to hear about Dennis' thumb. My mom's wrist was splinted wrong after she fell last year and then it took awhile to get a doctor's appointment so that's why she needed surgery last summer and still does not have full use or strength. A second surgery was suggested but she opted to forego it since there was no guarantee of any better results. Sure is unsettling when so many unexpected setbacks happen in a day. Always nice when there's a bright spot like the kind employee who was so attentive to your MIL's needs even when she didn't know what she needed or wanted. :) September will be here before we know it. Enjoy your trip to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend, You have certainly had your share of difficulty! But you always handle it with grace. I pray it cools down for you. That hot of weather is just unbearable! Have a cozy weekend, Your talent is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a bummer of a post at all! Life is filled with ups and downs and we get through all of them with the Lord's strength! I pray for Dennis because I know what it is like to have your thumb not work(last years' surgery and recuperation therapy is still fresh in my mind!) and hope the new surgery will help him--even though it will be hard to wait! The shawl is beautiful--I knew you could crochet an edging to make it larger and still be so pretty--good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stopping by for the first time and sad to hear all of your difficulites! Blogging can sometimes be a good outlet and provide a little comfort. Funny the AC went in my house and car last week in the height of the heat- what's going on with air conditioners??

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Betsy. So much going on. I'm glad you were able to get your ac fixed quickly. My emergency fund is low right now. Not sure if we could pay for that right now. School has started, I'll start subbing, and we'll get it built up again. Everything takes time.

    In response to your comment on "Bits and Bobs", I must admit that I don't want to go to Walmart at all. It is too high-anxiety to see how prices have gone up dramatically on everything. Yes. Everything. Aldi is better, but still.
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa Nellie!!! What a week you have had!Thank you for sharing your pictures of Maui. I have been praying for all who have experience disasters and loss....too many to mention each individually! It's been hot all over but as long as the AC stays on we're okay. So glad you were able to get yours fixed right away and that you were close to a tire store when you had your flat tire! Please take care of yourself....and Dennis too. His hand looks good but I was sorry to hear he has to go back and have it redone! That is a shame. Your shawl is beautiful....over a 1,000 beads? How do you do all that? You're amazing!
    The baby blanket is precious and I really like that brown pair of shoes your MIL was trying on. 2 1/2 hours? You and the salesman were very patient! Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Betsy, Gosh, you had/have a lot going on there. I'm sorry to hear that Dennis needs to have another operation on his thumb. I'm sure that is disappointing for him. I hope the surgery goes well and corrects the configuration of his thumb. Your shawl is beautiful. You are very talented. It's so nice that you take the time needed for your MIL and being patient with her. You'll never regret that. I hope the rest of your summer goes much more smoothly:)

    ReplyDelete