Tuesday, August 8, 2023

I’m still here!

Good Morning! It's been awhile. Frankly, I have no excuse except that life has been busy, busy, busy. I've been busy before this and still blogged, so that's not a good excuse. I haven't even been reading your blogs. The sweaters have had me knitting at home, in the car, at church. You get the idea. 

I did finish a pair of socks on Sunday. I kitchenered the toes in Sunday School and one more Christmas gift goes in the box!

I just took this picture of the pile of sweater pieces for Piper's sweater all done except the neck and button band. I hope to finish it today. I still have to buy buttons for all three sweaters, but at least the making of them will be complete. I have enjoyed knitting them, but I'm glad to have them done a few weeks before the deadline!

This has been my view while knitting on the sweaters. It's been so hot, I haven't cared about going outside anyway. As you can see, the sun is shining brightly this morning. The terrible heat wave seems to have broken here, but the humidity is still hovering around 80-90% so it's still not real pleasant outside. It was finally cool enough to take a walk after dinner last night and we enjoyed that a lot and it was wonderful to be outside again. 

Lots of time has been spent with Mom. We've had two doctor appointments for her in the past four days. We always take her out to eat when she has an appointment. She loves that. Yesterday was the neuphrologist, (kidney doctor). She has lost 8 lbs since she saw him last and she certainly doesn't need to lose weight. Here we are at Cheddar's and she's having her favorite, baked potato soup. They accidently brought her a second cup of soup and she ate it all, plus her salad. 

Piper and Lizzie stayed with us three nights last week and all of us enjoyed it. The puppies LOVE Piper and let her dress them up and carry them all over the house.

Of course the puppies loved it. Here they are, taking a nap. Always together. It's crazy how much they love each other.

Nap time! She is waaaay past the napping age, but a busy weekend and tennis camp in the mornings while she stayed with us wore this girl out. Can you believe school is starting already? She goes back next Monday! 5th grade! Where has the time gone?

Last weekend was the county fair and she entered projects that she had done on her own and with her 4H group. She got Best in Show and will go to the State Fair with a photo she took at the fly-in a couple of weeks ago. She also got several blue ribbons, and second and third place ribbons. We're very proud of how hard she has worked on everything.

Before I forget, I need to answer a new reader, Laura, from her comment. No, we don't live in the UK. We live just north of you in Omaha, NE! Our youngest son and his family live in London and we go visit them at least once a year. I bought the yarn when I was staying there for a month in January to help care for our precious granddaughter. We'll be going back again the beginning of September for a week.

And for the rest of you my dear friends. I'm so sorry I haven't been reading or commenting on blogs, or have written on my own blog for a few weeks. I have absolutely no excuse, except that I have been a bit down. I have no reason for it. I have a wonderful life, wonderful husband and good friends, including all of you. Really, I think it could have been the heat getting to me. You all know I have absolutely no tolerance for heat and it's been so awful. Most of you have had it too. One of the side effects of one of my meds is "heat can be fatal." I do have to be very careful. But I still have no good excuse. I'll do better. I promise.

Now that I should have the last flower girl sweater done today, I will be able to concentrate on my own shawl for the wedding. I bought two books on Amazon that have crochet borders and I'm going to try to add length and width by crocheting a border on my knitted shawl. I just couldn't face unpicking the bind-off and then trying to get those hundreds of stitches back on a needle! So, I'm going to wing it and crochet something.  Because I definitely will need that shawl. I'm not used to having such scoop necked and low backed clothes. I also wish I had lost 80 lbs. before this wedding, but I guess that's not going to happen. I have lost 4 lbs! You can't tell though. :-)

Thank you all for hanging in there with me and sending notes and messages asking if all is well. Yep. All is well. God is on His throne and the world is still turning. I'm just being super lazy for some reason. I do love and care for you all and I apologize deeply for having worried you. I'll be back soon! I promise.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

22 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are still knitting and well. Being in the heated outdoors is not the best especially in summer. We've had some days of humidity and clouds. Hopefully rain will appear this week. We were at a celebration in town on Sunday afternoon and outdoors. I'm glad the event was under trees. I've been thinking you lately and I almost texted you yesterday. Blessings and prayers as you get ready for your trip to England ~Becky 💐

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sweaters are a big project. I understand about the heat...I should not wish my life away but I want 74 degree weather! I don't know which is worse the heat or the cold. Those pups are so cute snuggled together and what fun to have Piper visit you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy for sure between knitting and Mom doctor appointments. Hope you can find some time to recharge. The heat and humidity are not helping any of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heat has been getting me down too. I just read an article that says there is a such thing as summer SAD because we are stuck inside just as much in the summer when it's brutal out there as we are in the winter. I have to admit, this hasn't been a terrible summer here, it's me. The older I get the less I can tolerate any heat. It makes me physically ill. It's one of the reasons I haven't minded getting up at 3 am to watch the ladies soccer games. The world is a much nicer place when the sun is not up.

    On a happier note, those puppies of yours are so darling and congrats to Piper on all her big wins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a relief to have those sweaters done and even time to spare!! Soon, hopefully, your awful heat will let up and you will be able to get out more. Don't worry about not reading blogs. Sometimes one is just too busy; I'm sure everyone understands.
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful projects, Betsy! And I'm glad your heat wave is breaking--so is ours. Whew. I sat outside this morning and it was actually cold and breezy and I needed my sweater! Love that. The dogs are so sweet! Thanks so much for sharing your life with us. I always have fun reading here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALABADO SEA DIOS POR TI Y TU FAMILIA, YA EMPEZABA A PREOCUPARME POR TU AUSENCIA. CUIDATE MUCHO DEL CALOR. BENDICIONES¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PRAISE GOD FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, I WAS BEGINNING TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR ABSENCE. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FROM THE HEAT. BLESSINGS¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

      Delete
  8. But wait! Dennis' fingers? How did that go for him at the doctor's? Haha! Caught you forgetting. That's okay, tell us next time. I haven't blogged in a while either, but plan to in another couple days. Hectic here and not all that fun. You'll see when I do make a post. // Pupperoos sleeping, so cute. Piper sleeping, also cute. Best part is the doggos wrapped up in the blankets. I laughed out loud at that! // Our heat continues on, although 10 degrees cooler. Yes, 10 degrees is something, but here it all feels hot. In another day, we return to near 100s and higher again. And the rain just spits on us while everyone around us gets an inch or more. Oh, well. // Soooo glad all is well. Sending you love and hugs and keeping you guys covered in prayers! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all have bouts of non-blogging every now and then... I know I do. Nice to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to read your update. I'm just glad when you do so, whether it's days, weeks, or even months (like, ahem, some of us!) between posts. I really appreciate the verses that you end your posts with. Today's has long been one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to see you're back Betsy. Can't write much now but just want you to know I enjoy your posts so much. You are one busy lady. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've noticed the heat bothers me much more this year. All those years in Florida, it never bothered me when it was hot. I guess age hits us like that.

    Glad to see you back blogging. Piper is sure growing up quickly. Fifth grade is a big, big time of change. The girls seem to "grow up" early in the year and by the end of fifth, the boys are growing up too. I subbed a lot in fifth and enjoyed seeing the kids change and get ready for middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with being present in the moment! We will be here when you have the time!

    Oh the puppies are too sweet!

    It's always wild to me that some schools go back in August - here it's September (after Labour day). They finish the school year near the end of June... is that the same for you or do they finish in May?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos of the pups dressed up, ha ha! Sounds like it is very hot there. We are back in the 80's here. I haven't really been into my blog this summer. I sometimes think my posts can be a bit boring lately. I thought about entering stuff in the fair, but our fair this year was terrible. Lack of vendors, lack of everything, and very high prices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. School starts here next Monday, and my Will is going into 5th grade--still my favorite year of school! I hope the heat gives you a break--it's been so oppressive, I sympathize. Sending a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for answering my question! The heat in southern Missouri has been around a hundred for awhile. We've finally got some rain, so it's down a bit, but the humidity is horrible. I find it gets to me, so I try to stay inside. As I write, my daughter is at the hospital laboring with my first grandchild. I'll go up in the morning. Can't wait to meet him and see that she is okay.
    Be blessed, don't feel guilty about not blogging, we all do that sometimes.
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nap time, such a sweet picture of the dogbabies! You are a very talented knitter, the socks look store-bought. Hope you Mom is okay, and I would like 2 bowls of potato soup too!!! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed this post and hearing all about what you've been doing, and seeing the photos of the pups and your sweet granddaughter and your mother in law. What a blessing. Are the pups litter mates? They sure do get along well. They remind me of our grandpups. And I understand about the heat and not feeling like writing or reading, etc. I go through stages and just can't seem to keep up with everyone, plus I've gotten back into reading books again, and that seems to take all my free time. This heat really does tire me out. We tried to take a walk this evening, but it was just too hot and I couldn't do it. We try to get some walks in at the stores throughout the week, just kind of window shopping and taking our time and staying in the cool stores. Too bad we don't have any malls around here anymore. They are good places to walk too. Okay, that's it. I guess you will be getting ready to travel soon. Sounds wonderful. Can't wait to hear all about it! Take care and stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great post. It's wonderful that your mama's appetite is coming back and I love the photos of the pups they are so cute together. Way to go Piper, congratulations on all your ribbons and your project going to the State Fair, that's very super news!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry you are feeling down. Hope you can take some comfort from the enjoyment / pleasure your sharing gives to others - Marguerite (I too despise the heat and am enjoying spending the summer in our trailer in northern Wisconsin)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember my daughters entering projects in our local fair back in Santa Barbara. Fun memories. Those socks are cute! I really need to learn to crochet socks. Currently I'm working on a crocheted sock monkey. My exercise teacher gave me a pattern after I saw hers at her home. Well you have a blessed Sunday. And I want to encourage you to read a few Psalms. They always encourage me when I'm down.

    ReplyDelete