Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Is It Fall?

No, I don’t I think it’s fall yet, though we have had gorgeous weather the past few days with highs in the 70s and rain at night. But today is supposed to be back in the upper 80s and after that upper 90s for at least the next week. It was a nice little taste of coolness, but now it’s back to being hot, hot, hot. I know it’s not news to most of you who are having the same thing. I just had my mammogram this morning and the technician said she had not ever remembered such a humid summer before. She asked if we had all been moved to Florida and not been told!

It has been busy around here. We had the first day of school. I’ve had doctors appointments Monday and Tuesday this week with Mom and this morning was my mammogram. I’m so glad to have that behind me. I don’t even remember what we did last week, but it passed by in a blur, as do most days anymore. I have finished all three sweaters for the wedding and I’m hoping to finish up my shawl today.

Yesterday was Piper’s first day of school. Doesn’t she look happy? She will be on the safety patrol and is in the oldest grade in the school. I can’t believe she’s going to middle school next year. Where has the time gone?

One of the neighbors moved their resident yard Sasquatch out by the sidewalk, so the kids could have their pictures taken with it for the first day of school. I thought that was pretty nice of them.

And look! All three flower girl sweaters are now done. I need to take Pipers over for her to try on, although I’m not sure what I can do between now and the wedding if it’s not right! Yikes!
I thought I would share a few photos of the outside of Mom’s apartment building. It’s an independent living facility that provides all meals.  There is no nursing care, although there is a company that you can hire in 15 minute increments to help with anything you need. We have them give Mom her insulin injection in the evening. That has been such a blessing, as it has made it possible for us to do things with friends in the evenings.

The flowers are absolutely stunning all around the building. Can you see the rockers on the left side of the photo. There are six or seven of them that are normally occupied during daylight hours. Mom loves to sit out here during the day and visit with her friends. 

Another view. I love the statue of the Saint Bernard with a little girl.

There are lush flower beds and hanging baskets everywhere. Aren’t they gorgeous?

The other day we went to a restaurant called DJs dugout that is next-door to our old apartment. They make the best prime rib sandwiches. It’s a sports bar, so they have big screens everywhere with every sport imaginable on them. Last year, when Alex‘s family was here for Thanksgiving, we went there for lunch when the World Cup was being played. We were the only ones cheering for the United Kingdom in the whole place!

Next Tuesday, Dennis goes to see the hand surgeon again. They won’t do surgery until after we get back from London.  On Wednesday, we’re going to drive to the Amana colonies in Iowa for a couple of days.  When we lived here before that was our yearly getaway. Dennis’s mom and dad would keep the kids and we would go there for the weekend. The last time we went was our 15th anniversary and we got the chime clock that’s in our living room. We moved to Spokane right afterwards. In a couple of weeks we will celebrate our 45th anniversary, so it’s been 30 years since we visited. We’re staying in a B & B in Homestead, one of the seven villages. They serve meals family style in most of the restaurants and the food is amazing. I remember the cinnamon rolls being the size of a dinner plate. Yum!

Take care everyone and try to stay cool.

Blessings and hugs,
Betsy

21 comments:

  1. The sweaters turned out beautifully! Your needlework is so nice. The place where your mom lives looks so much like one we have here and the flowers there are gorgeous too... gives me garden envy whenever we drive by! Enjoy your anniversary trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty in the summer if the heat wave would just let go! Beautiful job on the sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That complex for your mom is beautiful - what a huge blessing! I enjoyed your photos and visiting your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, my friend! So glad your mammogram is over and done with! Mine is in a week or so! I don't look forward to it, and I worry too, but am always glad to go and have it done. The sweaters are absolutely beautiful! Your Piper does look so happy for school to start! And of course, the hot weather returns just in time for the school kids. Your trip sounds lovely, and I know you will enjoy yourselves. Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweaters are so pretty! Well done! I hope you get to finish your shawl! Have a good get away and Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited to see that the Lionesses are going to the World Cup finals on Sunday! What a great game against Australia this morning. I've had so much fun watching the ladies play this summer even though it meant getting up at such an early hour. I am sad to see the tournament coming to an end.
    Those sweaters are so lovely. I can't believe you've got them all finished.
    And those flowers....wow! Someone on their landscaping crew must have a green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am alone so you are the "chosen one" to come help me up since you're the one that broached the subject! LOL! BTW, when you mentioned St. Bernard I thought you were talking about a catholic saint until I saw the picture! LOL! It is really fun getting old...I laugh all the time....mostly at myself.
    Piper is growing up! I can't believe it! Middle School next year? What a cutie she is.
    Those sweaters are beautiful!!! Your MIL's place is really nice.
    The Amana's are right near where my little farm was outside of Swisher, Iowa on L Road....the kids thought they named the road after our family. If I was living up there I could meet you in the Amanas...we spent a lot of time up there and we hiked around there too. There was an old indian dam where they would trap fish but you could only see it if the river was low. It's a beautiful area and I miss the midwest!
    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The place where your Mom now lives looks very lovely. The flowers make it special and no doubt the people living there think so too.
    I had never heard of the Amana Colonies but google gave me a bit of an idea. Sounds like a nice place to visit. I hope you have a very enjoyable stay. And, a Happy Anniversary ♥♥♥ GM

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful sweaters! The girls will all look so sweet in them! You did find a lovely place for Dennis's mom to live. It sounds just perfect for her.
    Happy Anniversary! Our 47th is coming up and we are going to Shipshewana Indiana for a concert. I love their family style restaurants, too. It's our first real trip since 2019 and I am hoping it goes well so I can ease my hubby back into traveling a little more.
    Poor Dennis, such a freak thing to happen and now surgery on the horizon, too. Enjoy the trip to the Colonies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom's place is lovely. Boy, I wish they would come up with a better way to do insulin. I don't have trouble doing mine, but it sure isn't fun. I feel for Dennis' mom. Surely, they can come up with *something* better.

    Good luck to Piper this year. The girls always seem to go into fifth grade totally ready and the boys............well, they seem a little overwhelmed. But, they eventually get with the program sometime around March. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your posts, Betsy. You're right, those flowers around mom's place are amazing. I could sit out there and look at them all day. Your 3 sweaters look so pretty....they will be just right for the wedding. Seems like school is starting so early this year....I remember when it never used to start until after Labor Day. Piper looks so cute in those pictures. Take good care, both of you and your family too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Piper does look happy to be back in school, my little grand was too. Your weather sounds so good, I'll certainly be glad when the weather here starts cooling down. The sweaters are so pretty, the little ones will look adorable in them. Your Mother's community looks very nice, a great place for her to live. The flowers there are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, so lovely everything...the sweaters...the flowers around your mother's "home", Sasquatch and Piper, and hearing about your upcoming anniversary trip to the Amana place sounds so lovely. I've heard of that but have never ventured that far north to see it. I am sure you will have a wonderful time, and happy Anniversary!! I hope Dennis' arm is feeling better. We are a tad cooler this morning and only supposed to reach 88, which is a nice change for us in Florida. I know the high heat and humidity is still with us, but it was nice to be outside for a few minutes this morning without sweating. LOL. Have a lovely time and stay in touch. I hope you'll take a lot of pictures of your trip so we can see it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The 3 sweaters you knit for the flower girls are beautiful Betsy! I can't believe Piper is in 5th grade already - time is flying by. Enjoy your little getaway before your big getaway across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, Piper is so grown up now! How is it that grandkids grow up way faster than our kids did? She sure is a cutey. Nice work on the sweaters! Happy Anniversary! We will celebrate #58 soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty Miss Piper is growing up. Time goes too fest. Your sweaters are just bautiful! I love them. Such a nice looking place for mom to stay. The flowers are around the building are really special.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our summers are like this all the time. Some summers can be hotter, some cooler, maybe more or less humid, but when looking at the data, it's pretty much the same and all evens out. // I've watched Piper grow up online as you have our Aero... he began kindergarten yesterday. And we have the sencond great-grandbaby that made his appearance yesterday... three weeks early because granddaughter had problems (as I told you in my email last night). Things are better, they're hoping to send her and the baby home tomorrow if she doesn't have anything else happen. I prayed over her and that baby all night. God is good, He knows what He's doing. // Jerry and I briefly (very briefly) lived in a community like your mom's. There are several in our metro area alone. Seems to be the way they're all built nowadays. // The sweaters are lovely, the girls will be so pretty wearing them. // Happy 45th Anniversary! {early} Have fun on your trip! Sending you lotsa hugs and love and many prayers! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad the sweaters are finished and Piper will fit nicely. I just saw your comment on my post. I have 7 inches done on my sweater. I look forward to having it made to wear this winter. Have a good trip to Iowa and congrats on upcoming anniversary. We're going to a Scottish festival Oct 7th in Oregon to celebrate our 46 anniversary . The sunset wasn't as orange as it was for two evenings prior. I'm glad Dennis is doing OK. Have a good time in England. Hugs and blessings ~Becky

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe how big Piper is! The years certainly do go by so fast. I hope Dennis does well during his surgery. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sweaters are fabulous! I'm so very impressed. Sweater knitting and fitting is challenging in my opinion. It's not fall here! Last week we had some cool evenings, but even the evenings are hot this week. Heat index was up to 119 the other day!
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete