Sunday, July 23, 2023

Two down, one to go…or is it, One down, two to go!

It’s been over a week since I posted. It’s been so crazy here. That’s not to say there is anything really wrong. It has just been busy. I guess that happens when you’ve been away. Dennis goes to the orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday to have the pins taken out of his thumb. We’ll guess what? One of them came out about an inch while he was showering Saturday morning! So he pulled on it just a little and the 2 1/2 inch pin just basically fell out! The other one is still firmly stuck but out about 1/4 in further than it was so he can get his splint back on to keep it immobile. We’ve wrapped it in an ace bandage to try to protect it till Tuesday because it’s still quite painful for him if he bumps or twists it.

Now as for the title of this post. I have two pair of Christmas socks done with one pair left to knit. I knit both of these while we we driving cross country.  Both pair are made with Opal yarn I bought while I was in London in January. Both are just a 2x2 ribbing for the leg and plain vanilla feet with an eye of partridge heel and kitchener toes.
These orange socks are made with Opal Cats and Dogs but I couldn’t find the colorway number for either pair.  I love how both pair turned out.

On Monday, Mandy and T came up with the idea for me to make make sweaters for the three flower girls for the wedding. I finally found enough skeins of the yarn I needed in the same dye lot at the third Michaels I went to on Tuesday. Isn’t it funny how there are so many shades of white?

I literally just finished sewing the sweater parts together about ten minutes ago on the first one.  Sorry about the picture. ObviouslyI haven’t washed or blocked it yet and it’s just sitting on my lap for the photo. And it’s 10:00 p.m. here so it’s dark! But you get the idea. This first one is a size 18 mo. to 24 mo. I need to make two in this size for Baby J. and her little cousin H.  I also need to make one for Piper in a size 10 to 12. That one will take awhile longer than this first one! We leave the first of September so I want to finish them quickly.

So, the second part of the title applies here…one down and two to go!😍

The front.

The back.

Here is Miss Piper modeling her thrift store outfit for the 4H fashion show for the fair. They modeled for the judges yesterday and they will model them at the fair next Saturday. I think she’s so cute. 💜

This is her and her “other” Grandpa Dennis. Yes, both Mandy and Brad’s dads are named Dennis. Brad, a friend, Dennis and Piper flew to Osh Kosh, WI for the annual fly-in. They’ll be there until Wednesday. This is Piper’s first time going and from the messages Mandy has gotten so far, she’s having a blast. A nine hour drive only took them a couple of hours in “her” airplane.

Here she is in front of their Piper Comanche airplane. It’s a pretty little plane and Brad maintains it impeccably. Can you guess where Piper got her name?

On a final note, besides the socks, I knitted constantly on my shawl for the wedding. I was sure I took photos of it when I blocked it, but they aren’t on my phone. I couldn’t tell how big it was until I blocked it and you can imagine how sad I was when it blocked out too small. I’ve let it sit all week trying to decide how to make it bigger. Mandy looked at it yesterday and suggested that I crochet a several inch edging on it. I think that’s brilliant! So I have got to get the little girls sweaters done so I can tackle my shawl again. I’ve never done a crochet edging on a knitted shawl, so if any of you have great ideas, please pass them on.  I’m hope for at least another 4-5 inches minimum in border width.

Take care my friends. I’m going to try to read todays blogs before bed. Please forgive me if I don’t get it done. Last night I fell asleep with my laptop open on my lap!  I hope you all have a wonderful Monday.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

21 comments:

  1. Piper is growing up so fast. Her 4-H outfit is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sweaters are so sweet and works of art!!! You are such a talented knitter! Piper looks so cute in her outfit! I bet she has a fun time with her Dad and Grandpa. I hope the pin removal goes okay for Dennis. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the socks you make and you get them so perfectly matched. I cannot even image what they would look like if I tried.
    I took my first airplane ride when I was about Piper's age and from that day on I always wanted to take flying lessons. Well it never worked out for me, maybe she'll catch the bug and want to fly her own plane one day. I think it would be amazing to be up in the clouds all by yourself away from all the busy distractions of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice sox and sweaters you've made. Piper is beautiful at her age and I'm glad she likes to be in dad's plane. Hopefully Dennis' pin removal it's too painful. Interesting how one came put already. God bless you both in the time you're having right now. I was thinking about you today and hoped you were ok. I just got to bed and checked out my blog and posted your kind comments. Hope you have a good night sleep. 😴 --Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. The white sweater is beautiful! I love it! The children will look so sweet and precious in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are just knitting like the wind! Love both pairs of socks and the sweaters are adorable!
    Piper is so lucky to have her own plane, lol! Tell her I said her 4-H ensemble is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to know you are just busy and not having an emergency! The socks and girl's sweater are both gorgeous!!! Sorry about the shawl! I'm sure you can add a nice lacy border and make it just right! (Creepy about Dennis' pins coming out--his body is shedding the foreign object!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piper looks great in her thrift store find, she is such a cutie. Love the socks and sweater, you are very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The socks are so pretty. I think the first pair should be the cats and dogs as it looks like the black or blue and white could be either! Very pretty! The sweaters are just so precious and you do such a beautiful job on everything. You have a lot of work cut out for you but I know you love making for your family. I pray that Dennis heals up and that there will not be any lasting effects.
    Take care! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a great knitter!! I love the socks and the little sweater is so sweet. Piper looks great in her thrifty outfit ( she sure is growing up fast).
    I hope all goes well when Dennis has the remaining bolt removed. GM

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a very busy lady. I'm sure you'll figure out a way to make your shawl work fine. So Piper and company are at the fly in......we used to live close to there and had a business where we could watch the planes flying over our building every day during the fly in. Hope they have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, sweet friend! I thought of you tonight and wanted to stop by and visit with you. I am so far behind in my blog reading. Since I am no longer notified when bloggers post, I don't keep up with too many blogs anymore. I trust all is well with you and Dennis and am keeping you in my prayers. Sorry to hear that Dennis has an injury and trust he heals quickly. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little white sweaters are going to be magnificent at the wedding. That's a lot of knitting to do by September.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sweaters are just precious! The girls will look lovely in them and what a keepsake. The pin story is a little scary. My pins are all permanent. I have heard people say that even those can work their way out, but I hope that doesn't happen. A miracle how they can put things back together, isn't it! Good luck with the shawl, I am sure it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always wondered whether Piper could possibly be named after the aircraft! How fun that she got to go to Oshkosh, and in her namesake plane. It's a fantastic event. I hope she has an absolute blast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great thrifty outfit that Piper put together and, as Dee said, she is growing up quickly. Love your socks and those sweaters will be darling for the wedding - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The socks are so pretty and the little sweater is adorable. Of course, you know how I feel about your Piper...she is such a cutie pie and so very sweet. I need to read back and find out about the pins and what happened to Dennis. It sounds awful. Oh Betsy, I just read your last post. Your two Montana grandchildren are beautiful. You have such a nice family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore the socks! Both colorways are really pretty. It looks like summer and fall! I've not knit with Opal yarn. Do you live in the United Kingdom? I live in Missouri, USA. I want to look for that yarn. Well, I want to, but I still have several skeins in que to knit into socks. I did finish my first baby sweater. I need to block it. I am almost done with the matching hat. I need to get with my friend for help with the i-cord top. I am also on the second matching sock. No worries, I have until Thursday to finish. That's my daughter's due date. ~smile~ First time grammy here!
    The little sweaters were so pretty. Did I miss the wedding date in the post? We had a daughter get married last September. It will be her baby next week. Enjoy the rest of your summer. Thanks for visiting my blog and writing back.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sweater is just precious and I love the socks and the colors you chose for them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Betsy, Betsy, wherefore art thou, Betsy? I love this post, everything about it. Well, except Dennis' problems with his finger/thumb. Hope that's been taken care of now. Wondering what's going on, my friend. Prayers for you and family as always. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enquiring and concerned readers are wondering where you went.

    ReplyDelete