Wednesday, January 4, 2023

A beginning!

How has the beginning of your year been? Mine has been busy. I have realized that I’m going to have to scale back the things that I planned to make this year because we are so busy with Mom and with activities here at the building. Yesterday I met with the ladies here who crochet sleeping mats for the homeless and we crocheted and chatted for a couple of hours. We meet every Tuesday at 1:00. After that Dennis and I went downstairs to the theater and watched “Ticket to Paradise” with George Clooney and Julia Roberts. It was really good. Today I went to craft time and although it was only supposed to be an hour or so, I ended up staying downstairs almost 3 hours! We made coasters from our Christmas cards. When I get them up to the apartment, I’ll take a photo to show you all. I’m very pleased with how they’re turning out but they weren’t quite dry when I left. The lady that does crafts is only a couple of years younger than me and we really enjoy spending time together at various activities. Her dad lives next door to us and her daughter is the activities director. Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment with Dennis‘s mom and I have a feeling it’s going to take awhile. She broke a tooth off on Monday. Every day something is going on, and where I used to be able to craft a great portion of the day, that isn’t the way it is now. The days fly by and it’s hard to believe that it’s  gone when we get ready for bed, but I’m sure having fun with everyone here. So far everybody we have met has been friendly and very helpful at “showing us the ropes.”

I thought I would show you pictures of a couple of my plants. This ivy is doing very well, even though it’s been moved around a lot the past couple of months.

And look! Even my orchid has buds on it! It bloomed for one year straight from July 2021 until August 2022. After all of the flowers fell off, I cut the stem down to about an inch, as several people advised. It was put in a fairly cool room in our apartment while the Christmas decorations were out and I was afraid that would kill it, but this happened instead! It’s back in its spot in the living room and I hope it blooms before I go on my trip so I can see the pretty flowers.

Here is the current version of our front door. Again, it’s two photos because I can’t back up the phone up to get everything in one picture.

Since I don’t have the kitchen island anymore to hang my crocheted garlands on, I thought over the door might be a fun place to hang them.

I didn’t make it in time for my Christmas socks this year, but maybe by next Christmas they’ll be done! I took them with me today to the DMV because we had to change the address on our drivers license. Would you believe I only had time to put one row on them before I was called up to the window? I guess going early in the morning pays off. I will take them to the dentist with me tomorrow and maybe get a few more rows knitted.
And with some of my Christmas money from Dennis I bought the yarn to make myself another “Portage” sweater. After I finished Mandy‘s, I decided I wanted another one too. I’ve worn my original sweater as my winter coat so far this year. It’s actually warmer than my winter coat is! This new Portage is my incentive to lose weight. I thought this yarn would look great with blue jeans and I refuse to buy any jeans until I lose weight. Do you think it will work? It is Hobby Lobby “I Love This Yarn” and the color is “Firework Show.” My first sweater was also made with the same yarn but in a different color, and it’s held up very, very well and washes and dries great.

How many of us does this apply to? I raise my hand high. It’s me! It’s me!

And here is what the living room looks like as I write this post. I’m watching a crocheting video on YouTube with my fairy lights on top of the fireplace. I decided not to put them away with the rest of the Christmas decorations. I really enjoy the little twinkling lights in the evenings when it gets dark so early.

I really hope you are all having a good week. I pray that all of you that have been sick are now on the mend. I still have a bit of a lingering cough, but it is slowly improving. The worst thing is the tiredness. I still find myself falling asleep if I sit down in the afternoon. This evening Dennis and I were going to watch a video and I slept through 3/4 of it! I never did that before I had Covid last month. Hopefully it will go away soon. 

I can’t believe the time is almost here for my trip. I haven’t even begun getting my list together of things to pack and I leave in a little over a week! Once again, I won’t be able to comment on anybody’s blogs for the entire time I’m gone because I need to leave my laptop home with Dennis. He needs it for Zoom meetings. I will be reading your blogs though, as I’ll have my phone and my iPad with me. I should be able to post on my blog too while I’m in London. Hey, if you send me your cell phone number I can even text you while I’m gone! Just kidding. I’m sure none of you are that anxious to hear from me, but I can text if you want me to. 🤣😂🤣

I pray that you all have a safe and wonderful rest of the week and stay healthy. I’ll be back soon.

Blessings and love,
Betsy 

23 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to hear that your cough is better.
    It's wonderful that you are able to travel back to London again so soon. Be safe . . . are you traveling alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. QUE BUENO SABER QUE ESTAS MEJORANDO, ESPERO QUE TENGAS UN HERMOSO VIAJE Y ESTADIA EN LONDRES CUIDANDO DE TU PEQUEÑA NIETA. TUS CALCETINES Y SWETER SE VEN MUY COLORIDOS Y CALENTITOS, QUE PRONTO LOS PUEDAS USAR. HE TRABAJADO MUCHO PARA EL FIN DE AÑO HACIENDO REGALOS A TODA LA FAMILIA, AHORA ESTOY TEJIENDO MAS AGARRADERAS PARA LAS MANIJAS DE LAS OLLAS, ESTOY UTILIZANDO RESTOS DE LANA, QUEDAN MUY COLORIDAS Y SON RESISTENTES, DE LA OTRA CARA, USO UNA TELA DE PAÑO Y OTRA CAPA MAS FINA, SON GRUESAS Y NO SE QUEMARAN LAS MANOS. BENDICIONES Y QUE DIOS TE ACOMPAÑE EN TU VIAJE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE GETTING BETTER, I HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE TRIP AND STAY IN LONDON TAKING CARE OF YOUR LITTLE GRANDDAUGHTER. YOUR SOCKS AND SWETER LOOK VERY COLORFUL AND WARM, THAT YOU CAN WEAR THEM SOON. I HAVE WORKED A LOT FOR THE END OF THE YEAR GIVING GIFTS TO THE WHOLE FAMILY, NOW I AM KNITTING MORE GRIPS FOR THE HANDLES OF THE POTS, I AM USING WOOL REMAINS, THEY ARE VERY COLORFUL AND RESISTANT, ON THE OTHER SIDE, I USE A CLOTH AND ANOTHER THINNER LAYER, THEY ARE THICK AND THE HANDS WILL NOT BURN. BLESSINGS AND MAY GOD ACCOMPANY YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY.

      Delete
  3. I'm getting excited for your trip! It's a lot of hard work taking care of a little one but also so much fun. I'll miss your posts and comments but will be looking forward to hearing from you when you return with all the news from your big adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take it easy and safe travels! I know you cannot wait to see that darling baby again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put up fairy lights around our living room windows one year for Xmas and never took them down. They are on all the time. :) Sounds like you found the perfect apartment complex -- so much crafting going on and a nice community around you. I love ivy but have no success keeping it alive in our climate. Hope you have a great time on your trip. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad you like your new home. It sounds like a fun place to live. Wishing you well on your upcoming adventure and trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the garland over the door! So pretty.

    The new sweater yarn is fabulous too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I worked in an office, I could get so much done if I had a day off. I thought that I could accomplish all my goals, even ones I hadn't thought of, in retirement. Nope, I am always on the hamster wheel running in circles! I think it is amazing all you do! Caring for Dennis's mom is like caring for my grandchildren. Always something. I am so glad you have found such a fun community!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Camp Queen! I'm so glad you have found a place you love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love everything, my friend. My daughters are thinking of starting to learn crochet. So excited for you and that trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have all my twinklings lights up too, in fact, the entire tree is still up and I have no plans to take it down yet.
    The pretty garland looks fine on your door. You seem to have moved into a most caring and wonderful place. I think things will calm down in time. You sound happy and that's the main thing. Take care, GM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got this pattern after seeing your beautiful sweater. Since you are using "I Love This Yarn" which is #4, can this be made with #4 yarn, and if so, are there any adjustments to be made? Thanks for your help and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always used I Love This Yarn which is a #4 with NO pattern adjustments. There are cables that run up the sides and I left those off once, but have put them on the other three. It looks really nice either way. I do the back in stockinette instead of the pattern as written on the chart. I don't know why I haven't done the pattern, but I just prefer it plain and so does my daughter.
      I hope I've answered your questions. Feel free to ask away if you have any others.
      Have a great evening!
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  13. Hope you get rested up before your trip! I look forward to your posts from London. I know what you mean about busy days. It sounds like you are happy there in the apartment and have fun at activities with like minded gals!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So exciting Betsy, that your trip is coming up so soon. Wish I could be traveling like you do! Love your door decor...those snowflakes look so cool up above it. What a great idea. And love all your snowmen around it too. And it looks like your plants are thriving! Have a terrific trip and post often, if you can! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You sure have taken another big shift in your life by moving into the apt but it is nice to hear how positive you are about the changes and accept where you are right now! The activities sound great for you and I am sure you brighten other's lives by being there. Hope things go well with your MIL at the dentist! Time to get packed--have you checked the weather there so you know how many layers to pack?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the lights in your living room! It seems little lights make for a very cozy atmosphere. Enjoy your trip to London, I would love to be saying that to myself !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betsy, I'm so happy for you. It sounds like you are enjoying every day. The fairy lights make the room so cozy. I still have my Christmas tree up. I know. I know. But I just love the lights all aglow. It's been so overcast and dreary since the first of the year. The lights help my mood. Your garland is sweet over the door. Love all the seasonal decor. I'm sorry you're so tired. I went through a period like that a few weeks back. I changed the B-100 complex brand I was using back to one I used for years and that has helped a lot. Enjoy your trip. I'm lifting up a prayer for safe, smooth travel. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Betsy, I'm so happy for you and Dennis, to have found this wonderful place to live with so many crafting opportunities and friendships! What a blessing! Your front door is decorated so delightfully! I too love the fairy lights, I have them all over my house and they are on timers that come on at night. It' helps with the darkness! Hoping you are able to recover from the lingering fatigue. I hope you have a marvelous trip to London, and enjoy every minute with your precious grandbaby! Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmm, I think I need a saying also.. 🤔 Something like - "I'm not hoarder, I run a shelter for homeless crafting supplies." 😂 Have a blessed day, my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed reading your post today....and finding my way to your blog. In the photo of your plant, I love the little sign "Wooly Jumpers"!! Cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is nice your orchid is getting ready to bloom again. For a Christmas gift I asked for an orchid plant and my youngest son gave me three plants, they are so pretty aren't they? Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete