Thursday, December 22, 2022

Brrrrrr!

Like most of the rest of the country we are having bitterly cold weather this morning. The windchill is -47F as I type this. We didn’t get nearly as much snow as was predicted… or maybe we did, but it all blew around and so there was no drifting that I can see from the apartment. They were out at 4:30 this morning with snow plows in the parking lot and snow blowers and shovels for the sidewalks. I don’t think many people will be venturing out today though.

I thought I would share a few of my Christmas treasures with you. Some of you will probably remember these little poinsettia girls. I made them the first Christmas we were married in a ceramics class I took with Dennis‘s mom. The sweet little wooden snowman has pride of place next to them. Cindy from the “Delighted Hands” blog on my side bar made this for me. I treasure it.

Here is our little Christmas tree. Remember it from our winter in the camper? It’s perfect for our apartment. I bought a tiny little black and white buffalo check tree skirt for it yesterday at Hobby lobby for $1.50. All of their Christmas decor is 70% off. Piper and I had a grand time wandering around those aisles looking at treasures. Papa just followed us all over the store.  He’s a very willing servant to Piper, (and me too.)😍

We spent the morning yesterday taking Piper Christmas shopping for mommy and daddy. She had a list and she checked it twice! She knew exactly what stores she wanted to go to and exactly what she wanted to buy. Then we came back to the apartment and she wrapped them. We picked up lunch and shared it with Mandy before coming back home to try to beat the big storm.

In the afternoon they made these Christmas trees downstairs in the craft room. It was a lot of fun, I’m just not sure where I will put this. Super simple if you have a glue gun and extra ornaments.

While working on one of my Christmas projects I broke a knitting needle cable and had to wait over a week for the new one to arrive to finish the gift.  I guess they do wear out after years of use. So, over period of three days I made this blanket. I absolutely love it. I showed you some of the snowflakes in my last post. I went around each one twice with red and then join them together and crocheted a border on it. I should be able to leave this out most of the winter as it’s not just a Christmas only design and it sure adds a pop of color to the apartment.

Oh my goodness, it is so cold outside! Brrrrr. I just came in from taking Zoey outside and I felt like my fingers were frozen in less than 30 seconds. It seems that most of the country is in the same predicament. I plan to stay home today and tomorrow because there’s lots to do around here.

My computer is still not repaired. I can’t believe how lost I feel without it. They had to order a new hard drive and now we’re being told it will be ready at end of this week which I’m guessing means tomorrow since it’s Thursday already! I’m  looking forward to being able to comment on your blogs again.

Dennis had a phone call this week from a local company asking if he was interested in working for them. They asked if he wanted part time or full-time and he said he would be interested in part-time.  He is at a job interview right now. He’s going a bit stir crazy here after working for so many years such long hours and I think he would enjoy getting out for a few hours every day. Me? I’m very content in our apartment visiting with the other people and taking part in some of the activities. 

This afternoon there is a scripture service with a carol sing that I’m hoping to go to. I’m still coughing and so singing isn’t very easy for me but I would enjoy hearing the others. I do love it here. Dennis and I are both much, much better, I just have a lingering cough and get tired easily. He seems as good as new. Thank you all for your prayers for us while we were recovering.

I pray that you all have a very blessed Christmas and safe travels if you’re going anywhere.

Blessings and love, 
Betsy




17 comments:

  1. So glad you are better. The snowflake afghan is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your snowflake blanket, and you made it in just 3 days! WoW, that's awesome. It's great that you participate in the local activities, a great way to stay busy and have a lot of fun. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrrr.....that is cold. We're still waiting for it to show up here. Maybe tomorrow. We've split and stacked wood all week so we are ready.
    3 days? Days? That would have taken me years to make. It's really eye catching. You really are the queen of crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your Christmas things, and especially the blanket with snowflakes and 2 of my favorite colors. So glad you're feeling better. It's 21 degrees here which is cold for us, and there's no snow plows in sight. Hope we can make it down our hill to the grocery store....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so thankful you two are better. Praise The Lord! Your blanket is so pretty. Love it. Your tree is adorable. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas dear friend. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you are feeling better and even happier that you are loving your move. Your apartment looks very cute.

    We did some errands out today. Our walkway was frozen this morning and we made sure not to walk on it. Then it got up to 44°F, but it is rainy and windy and just generally nasty. Tonight it is supposed to get very stormy with high winds. THEN we go into the deep freeze. It's already cold in the house. Not looking forward to COLDER and windy. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely that you could take Piper Christmas shopping. Yes, it's cold everywhere it seems. Our cold water line froze last night. We won't know until it thaws whether it cracked or not. Your place looks very festive and I love your winter snowflake afghan!
    I hope your hubby get that part-time job. It must be so hard to work full time and then be fully retired. Better to ease into it if possible. Take care and have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas to you and Dennis! I hope Dennis’ interview went well. Retirement is really hard for men.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so delightful, spending time with your granddaughter, shopping, wrapping and just being together. The little tree and your other decorations are so nice. I love the afghan! Amazing how you finished it so quickly! Please stay warm and cozy inside and don't go out unless you really have to! This winter storm sounds very bad for so many. Even here in Florida we will be in the low 20's over the weekend, which is very unusual . May God bless you and yours with a safe and beautiful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

  10. Cold day here as well. We started getting icy rain and a bit of snow this afternoon. Phil came home early from work due to weather issues. I decided to do a load of laundry late morning in case we lose electricity. Stay warm and I am glad you and Dennis are feeling better. Hopefully he will get the part time job as that can be helpful and do it in person instead of work online! I am glad you are getting your computer back soon. Hugs and blessings my friend! Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you have room for your Christmas treasures--you have a good knack at making it home wherever you are! We are bracing for the cold; we are moving as many plants into the garage as we can! Three nights of low 20's is what they are warning us about so we are trying to be ready! Still praying for you and Dennis to recuperate--hope he gets the job and hours he wants!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! I love your snowflake blanket! And the poinsettia girls you made are precious! I cannot believe it is that cold! We are supposed to get cold here this weekend. Have a blessed and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're both doing so well. Sorry it's taking your computer so long to get fixed. Your little tree looks cute in your apartment and you sure have fun at the craft meets! What a fun place to live. Hope you can all keep warm in this terrible cold weather. We are hoping our daughter and family can travel up here for Christmas from Southern Wisconsin! Merry Christmas to you and Dennis. Love your blog. God Bless you both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you two are on the mend. I started with a scritchy-scratchy sore throat on Sunday but it's mostly okay now. I have a hard enough time sleeping so not any easier when there's coughing fits all night long. I think I made one snowflake square years ago and that was that. Your blanket is really nice and definitely can be used all winter. Piper is one smart cookie, making a list and knowing exactly what she's looking for. I sure hope people are smart and stay home if they can. With the weather, it sure sounds like the best time to stay warm and cozy inside. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tree is lovely Betsy! We have a bunch of Christmas balls that I might just try this next year. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope your cold is better soon! The red with snowflakes is just lovely! We got all the snow, and the wind and the cold. Road conditions are horrible and there was a horrific accident very close to us. We had grandchildren taking turns with sleepovers and had two grandsons who had to stay extra nights and just made it home on Christmas Eve! Even more fun, the first night they were both sick with upset tummies and high fevers and I was up until 4 am with them. I am hoping Santa brings me uninterrupted sleep, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry that your cold is lingering. I hope it goes away soon. I love the snowflake afghan that you made it is just lovely and you are right, you should be able to keep it out for several months. Sounds like you had fun with MIss Piper!

    ReplyDelete