Thursday, November 3, 2022

Slowly, but surely.

Slowly but surely, we are getting settled in the new apartment. Yesterday I even went down for a craft day and made Mom a fall door hanger. I made it pretty colorful so she would be sure to recognize it as her door. On Tuesday I joined a group of ladies in the community room who are crocheting mats for the homeless. Out of about 15 ladies only three of us know how to crochet. The others fold and cut the bags and tie them into strips and then roll them into balls. To say they were thrilled to have someone else who knew how to crochet would be an understatement. We have been welcomed everywhere we go here. I really think we’re going to love it. Here are a few more photos of a little bit more organization in our new home.

Dennis was able to repair the other table and make it even stronger than when it was new. He cut and stained boards to match exactly and then reinforced the area that had broken. But, it was still way too big. We sold it and bought this one the very same day. I found it on Facebook marketplace for $75 less than we got for our old table, so that was a win. It fits in the area perfectly and has an 24 inch leaf in case we need to make it bigger.

Look at the beautiful detailing on the chairs, and I like how the table isn’t perfectly round because of the little scallop design on all four sides. The people we bought it from said they had had this table for 30 years! It certainly doesn’t look like it. There’s not a scratch on! It even matches the hutch very well. It was meant to be!
The kitchen is still a bit cluttered because it’s smaller than our old one, but it is workable and having cooked in camper kitchens for years, there is plenty of room to work. It’s just the storage area where there is a problem.

We were able to cram the freezer back here in the corner and I’m using the upper part of it for storage as well as the refrigerator top. It works. And yes, if I suck in my breath I can even get into those cabinets in the back. They hold our overflow food storage. Since there are no walls big enough for my magnet board, I’m putting them on the freezer. I love to see the places we’ve visited and remember the people and places we’ve seen. I don’t want to leave the magnets all put away in storage.

I still have to make sense of the things on top of the tall dresser but the rest of the room is coming together. It’s a very large bedroom with plenty of space.

There is even a nice reading area next to the closet. I love these chairs and really didn’t want to get rid of them and they work perfectly here. We don’t normally have the closet door open but I wanted to give you perspective of where this was in the room.
This is one of my favorite little areas. It’s the hallway leading to the bedrooms. I just haven’t thought of a way to cover up the circuit box. It sticks out from the wall about half an inch, so it’s not as easy as just hanging a photo over it. Everything looks a bit crooked because of the angle I have to take the photo from to get everything in it. They are hanging on the wall straight. I promise.

A few people have told me this looks cluttered. But I really don’t know what we could get rid of. We needed the bookcase space and the fireplace actually puts out heat. Zoey‘s bed and toy basket are also there and this is the only room I get enough light in for my plants. At least I hope there is enough light! It’s a cozy, comfortable room and we are really enjoying it.

The balcony doors. You can just see a bit of Dennis’s chair on the lower right.

This is the door hanger I made for Mom yesterday. It’s extra colorful so she can remember her door.  I put a clothes pin on it so they can attach the notes that they leave most days on the residents doors.

I finished this toddler sweater late last night. Obviously it has not been washed or blocked yet. It’s for baby J’s cousin in London. I just need to get buttons for the sweater and the two little girl sweaters that I made.

I do like how the color pooled. No big clumps of one color. I think it will be a good sweater for a little boy.

These socks will be for Mom for Christmas. Plain vanilla socks. Look at the great price I got the yarn for during Hobby Lobby’s clearance sale!

Zoey went over and played with Lizzie yesterday while we took mom out for breakfast and ran a few errands. She was exhausted at the end of the day. Dennis took her back over there this morning to play while we go sign the papers for the house closing. The buyers won’t sign until next week so we’re still keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well.

Last Saturday Brad, their neighbor and Piper and their neighbors daughter, who is Piper’s friend, went to a Fly-in  in Hastings, Nebraska. They had lunch there at the airport with a big group of other people and then flew back home to Omaha.

I think the girls had a good time! Don’t you love Piper’s headset? She even has her own logbook.


It’s nice to have Brad back home and working here now. They are able to do more things as a family. I think he’s getting to fly more often too.

I hope all is going well for you all and I will try to keep up with blogs and blogging. I think we’re getting settled in here now, with just a few little things to do, so it should be a bit easier to blog.

Blessings,
Betsy


26 comments:

  1. I love the new table and chairs! I have four plain chairs like that and would dearly love to have two more. Glad you have found such a friendly place to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your apartment is wonderful. I’m glad that you like it and the activities they have in the complex. The new table and chairs are beautiful - nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place looks great! I have serious bedroom envy. I've always wanted one that was big enough for a chair and you've got two! I have to crawl over my bed to turn on the light or open the window. Apparently in the 80's when this house was built people didn't use their bedrooms or need closets. I've got ONE little one for the whole main level. ONE. For coats, vacuums, linens, bath room supplies, cleaning supplies...you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing where you live. Looks so nice and cozy! I remember some of the items you have in living room in NE that were in WA when we visited you and Dennis. I am glad you were able to find a spot to keep your freezer. Nice table and chairs, and cute sweater and item you made for your mom in law. Is the place a retirement apartment building? Looks like a good flight that Dennis went on with son in law and adorable Piper and her friend!
    It's was chilly yesterday and a bit today. Obviously the time of the year. I just went through photos online and 2020 we had ice on bird bath and snow 2021 in Dec. Will see how it is end of year. So thankful to be able to live here and so far safely. God bless you and keep you safe!...Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW QUE HERMOSO LUGAR DONDE VIVES AHORA BETSY, ¿ES UN DEPARTAMENTO VERTICAL U HORIZONTAL O ES UNA CASA? ESTOY UN POCO CONFUNDIDA AL RESPECTO, SE QUE ANTERIORMENTE VIVIAS EN UNA GRAN CASA, ¿PUEDES CONTESTAR? ¿Y PENSARAS MUDARTE NUEVAMENTE? CREO QUE LAS MUDANZAS SON BASTANTES CAOTICAS Y A TU EDAD Y LA DE TU ESPOSO, (AMBOS TIENEN LA MISMA EDAD QUE NOSOTROS) SE HACE ALGO PESADA. TAMBIEN QUISIERAMOS MUDARNOS, HACE 40 AÑOS QUE VIVIMOS AQUI Y YA NO ES LO MISMO QUE ANTES, LAS COSAS CAMBIARON MUCHO, YA NO ME GUSTA EL LUGAR, NO ME AGRADAN LOS VECINOS TODOS IMPIOS, VIVO PRACTICAMENTE DENTRO DE CASA, SOLO SALGO A HACER COMPRAS Y AL MEDICO O VISITAR ALGUNO DE MIS HIJOS, NADA MAS, QUIERO VIVIR EN UN LUGAR ALEJADO DE TODOS LOS IMPIOS, ME GUSTA MUCHO EL CAMPO, LA TRANQUILIDAD Y ESTAR EN CONTACTO CON LA NATURALEZA, NECESITO PAZ EN ESTE MUNDO LLENO DE ODIO Y DE MALDAD, SE QUE SOLO SE ENCUENTRA PAZ CON EL SEÑOR JESUCRISTO EN MI CORAZON, PERO TAMBIEN NECESITO PAZ FISICA Y EMOCIONALMENTE, ORA PARA QUE DIOS NOS CONCEDA UN NUEVO HOGAR, ME HACE FALTA. ME ENCANTAN TUS TEJIDOS, TAMBIEN ESTOY TEJIENDO MUCHAS MEDIAS SIMPLES Y COLORIDAS EN PUNTO JERSEY, DESEO QUE TENGAS UN LINDO FIN DE SEMANA, ERES UNA BUENA AMIGA. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE WHERE YOU LIVE NOW BETSY, IS IT A VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL APARTMENT OR IS IT A HOUSE? I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED ABOUT IT, I KNOW YOU USED TO LIVE IN A BIG HOUSE, CAN YOU ANSWER THAT, AND ARE YOU PLANNING TO MOVE AGAIN? I THINK THAT MOVING IS QUITE CHAOTIC AND AT YOUR AGE AND YOUR HUSBAND'S AGE, (BOTH ARE THE SAME AGE AS US) IT'S A BIT HEAVY. WE WOULD ALSO LIKE TO MOVE, WE HAVE BEEN LIVING HERE FOR 40 YEARS AND IT IS NOT THE SAME AS BEFORE, THINGS HAVE CHANGED A LOT, I DON'T LIKE THE PLACE, I DON'T LIKE THE NEIGHBORS WHO ARE ALL UNCLEAN, I LIVE PRACTICALLY INSIDE THE HOUSE, I ONLY GO OUT TO GO SHOPPING AND TO THE DOCTOR OR TO VISIT SOME OF MY CHILDREN, NOTHING ELSE, I WANT TO LIVE IN A PLACE FAR AWAY FROM ALL THE UNCLEAN PEOPLE, I REALLY LIKE THE COUNTRYSIDE, TRANQUILITY AND BEING IN CONTACT WITH NATURE, I NEED PEACE IN THIS WORLD FULL OF HATRED AND EVIL, I KNOW THAT PEACE CAN ONLY BE FOUND WITH THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IN MY HEART, BUT I ALSO NEED PEACE PHYSICALLY AND EMOTIONALLY, PRAY THAT GOD WILL GRANT US A NEW HOME, I NEED IT. I LOVE YOUR KNITTING, I AM ALSO KNITTING MANY SIMPLE AND COLORFUL SOCKS IN JERSEY STITCH, I WISH YOU HAVE A NICE WEEKEND, YOU ARE A GOOD FRIEND. BLESSINGS.

      Delete
  6. Nice table and chairs! That metal breaker box needs a piece of something magnetic to cover it up...like a piece of cardboard covered in a cute fabric and then glue magnets on the back so it sticks to the front. I am sure you will come up with something! Your apt looks great! I am so glad you are settled! Piper looks good flying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dining room table and chairs look great. I love that detailing on the chairs. Perfect for someone living in the mid-west.

    Don't listen when people tell you how to decorate (or in my case NOT decorate) your house. If you like it ..........well, that is enough!!! Enjoy your wonderful new place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many updates in your blog! First, I love the sign for mom's door. What a great idea. And how wonderful the complex offers all these activities. And that they welcomed you into the fold with open arms!! Meant to be.
    The new table and chairs are just perfect! That scallop really adds so much and makes it look very elegant. Meant to be!
    The sweater - just perfect. Exactly how I picture how little British babies and toddlers are dressed. So sweet.
    What wonderful adventures for Piper and her dad!
    I like clutter (I tell myself). It makes a home more homey. The only suggestion I have (from reading too much Pinterest) is to turn the books so the spine is against the wall and the pages face out. It makes the shelf all one color and it blends in. The only, lol, problem is that you can't read the titles. Maybe Piper could turn a shelf for you to see if you like it. And if you don't, she could turn them back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new table and chairs are very nice. It's amazing what you can all find on Facebook Marketplace. And I like the sweater that you made for the little boy. Perfect pattern and colour.
    The door hanger that you made for Dennis' mom is such a great idea. The clothespin attached so notes can be left is going to prove very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go to Hobby Lobby and find a canvas you like that matches the faith theme and color, make sure you measure the outside of the circuit box and buy one just a little larger to hang over/in front of it. That's what I did with ours. Your doors, curcuit box, and clocks are exactly like ours. Haha! We've had our clocks for probably ten years or more and they still work great. Whoever said that area looks cluttered, don't listen to them.... I like it just the way it looks. Very home-y. You do to your home what you have to for making it work. You wouldn't believe some of the cramped places I've lived. I love the wood finish/color of the new table and chairs... I doubt I would like the scallop part, but it's very beautiful! So glad it's all becoming home for you, dear Betsy! Sending you lotsa love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing how you are settling in to your new "home". It looks pretty comfy and cozy to me, and I don't think it's too cluttered. You have to do what works for you. Obviously, apartments may be a little smaller than a house, and so you have to make adjustments as needed. I think it looks great. And that table and chairs are perfect for your space...so very pretty too!! That was a great find! You are very talented with your crochet/knitting, etc. I can't do either of those. I am a lefty and just never got the hang of it. I admire those who can do it and appreciate all the beautiful things you are able to create. The door hanging is so lovely! I'm sure your mother loves it! Enjoy your new home...sounds like you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post about your new place and all the things you've been busy doing. I really like the look of your apartment and you have made it so homey so quickly. Glad you're both feeling comfortable and happy there. It was a good move, Betsy. So fun to see you back blogging again. Thanks for your always fun and newsy posts and love all the pics too! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just a quick suggestion of freeing up some space in the kitchen. I noticed you have your coffee pod holder on top of the refrigerator. They sell a drawer that fits them all and the Keurig sits on top of it. It's easy to access and works great. I'm sure they are on Amazon or a place like Bed, Bath and Beyond. Your new place looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The new place looks wonderful. I'm glad things are going so well.
    What lucky girls! I didn't get a chance to fly in anything until my early '20s... and I had to pay $30 for a 15 minute helicopter ride. It was so much fun, I got to sit beside the pilot and he was a hoot!
    And since then I've only been in a plane six times (three work trips).
    I love the new dining set - that's stunning! Dave's eager to refinish the pine set his grandma gave us years ago, but I think he should wait until the dining room is finished - then we aren't worried about moving it around and mucking up his nice new finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot to mention that I really, really like your new table and chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see you are settling in so well. Your new place looks very nice. Hope your closing goes smoothly! Great find on your new table and chairs. They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good luck settling in and arranging everything. I certainly don't see any clutter -- the more the merrier I say. Your yarn storage in previous post is very tidy. Nice to see what you've got. 73 mittens may not be your usual but it is still a lot. Bless you. Sweet baby sweater, too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job on settling in--it is looking more and more like your home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww... it's all looking sweet and cozy. I'm so glad you're enjoying your new space while decorating and deciding where everything will go. Always love your knitting too, of course and thanks for commenting at my blog so faithfully!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your new home looks very comfy and inviting. I'm glad you are enjoying living there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Many new blessings await in your new home I pray.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I missed this post Betsy. I now get your posts by email through follow it as figured it but need to do more blogs.
    I'm so happy the LORD moved you when He did and He chose the place.

    Minimalists who say its cluttered don't like a homey style. I'm for homey.
    It looks like a house not a home if its minimising and everything as neat as a pin.
    As if you need permission to breath...
    Love the hanger and chuckled at the flight attendants and pilots. All posh abd proper.
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw, I don't think your living room looks cluttered at all! It has a cottage core vibe that is very homey, warm, and inviting. I am so thankful you are getting settled into your new place and trust all will go well with your house closing. God bless you, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooh! You are getting settled! I was on Critter Care duty most of October and have been having internet issues since September, so internet time has been sporadic.

    Would it be possible for you or Dennis to create a frame/box with the back deep enough to cover the breaker box? Your imagination could have a workout--or three!--deciding what to display in it. :-)

    Your bookshelves are fine. For some reason, many people have decided they should be used to display just a few items
    I'm always being criticized for having too many books. 😯 That isn't possible, is it? 😉 Absolutely no minimalist displays on my bookshelves.

    Everything will come together as you live in your new home. Some storage areas may be unconventional, possibly occasionally used kitchen items tucked away in other rooms? You've made so many changes that it's a minor miracle that your heads aren't spinning! LOL

    ...Taja 🏜️

    ReplyDelete