Monday, November 21, 2022

πŸ‚πŸπŸ‚Almost Thanksgiving πŸ‚πŸπŸ‚

It’s almost Thanksgiving, which also means it’s almost time for Alex and his family to arrive! We cannot wait to see all of them, but especially our sweet little Baby J. We’re all excited, but Mandy, Piper and I, the three of us, are REALLY excited. I don’t think Baby J will be touching the ground much this week. We received some wonderful pictures yesterday from them at a wedding this last weekend. Baby J. had on a sweater that I had made for Miss Piper when she was a baby. Then our nieces baby wore it and now it’s been passed on to Baby J along with several others. I would say that they are getting a lot of wear out of that sweater and it still looks new in the pictures. That sure does this Grandma‘s heart good.

How are you all doing with your Thanksgiving plans if you’re here in the US? We had very cold, windy weather all last week but so far this week is turning out beautiful, with highs in the 40s and bright blue skies. I hope it continues.

I finished Mom’s socks yesterday and I only have one Christmas gift yet to make. I may actually finish everything on time. I did get all of the gifts wrapped for Piper’s advent stocking, but I forgot to take a photo of it. Actually, I’ve got almost all of the gifts wrapped. Just the socks below and the other gift I need to make and I have everything done. My cards are even ready to mail! I did not want anything to distract from our time over the next week with two of our kids and their families here with us. Unfortunately Jamie and the kids won’t be able to make the drive back here for the holiday and they will be very missed.

Mom’s socks.

Since I finished Mom’s socks, I started a pair of Christmas socks for myself. I have never had Christmas socks before and I may actually have them done and ready to wear on Christmas Day! We’ll see. No pressure. They’re just plain vanilla socks and I’m going to let the yarn do the work on these. I have them in my holiday project bag. I just love it!

I thought I would share a bit of  our new home with you. Christmas decorating is going to be done over the weekend, so I’ll have pictures with the decorations up for you next time. The photo below is the library it was such a warm day today that they didn’t have the fireplace on, but normally it’s flickering away very cheerfully.

These are all of the hardback books, but on the second floor there’s ANOTHER library with all of the paperbacks. In that room are commercial size washers for quilts and sleeping bags, etc. Things that are too big for the regular size washers that are in each apartment. The commercial washers are also free to use. They have ironing boards set up in the same room and comfortable chairs to sit on if you want to sit and read while your laundry is being done.

This pretty room is right inside the front door though, and is almost always occupied. They have several daily newspapers delivered which are set out in the library.
Below you’ll see the 32 seat movie theater. They also show local sports games when they are televised. Nebraska University football, NU volleyball and the Creighton basketball team are shown and there’s always a crowd for those games. We also have movies here and sometimes they’re even the first run movies that are at the theaters. I forgot to take a photo, but there’s a popcorn machine that always has fresh popcorn made for whoever wants it. There’s also candy that you can purchase on the honor system. it’s basically just like a regular movie theater.

This is the community room where we held our Thanksgiving dinner last Friday. I attended a caregivers training course for Alzheimer’s/dementia family members her this morning. I learned a lot at that class and I’m hoping it will help me in dealing with Mom as time goes on. This is also the room that we meet in to crochet sleeping mats out of plastic bags for the Open Door Mission. Ladies also meet in here to play mah-jongg. We also do crafts here and on Wednesday we’ll be making Christmas wreaths. This room is almost always hopping with activity.

This is the pub. There’s a happy hour several times a week here, along with a poker game every night and Mexican train dominoes too. There’s a table in the corner that always has a puzzle on it for anyone who wants to work on. There is a collection of several hundred puzzles to choose from or you can bring your own.
I didn’t get a photo of the billiards room. They have an ongoing billiards tournament between several of the men. I think Dennis may be interested in joining that sometime.

Yesterday was our Thanksgiving dinner at church. Oh my goodness, it was wonderful! There really is nothing like a church potluck for good food. Instead of turkey, we had ham and it was delicious. Life has been full of eating during the last week! Tomorrow morning we’re going to drop Zoey off early to play with Lizzie while Mandy works. We’re taking Mom to get her hair cut. We have a few other errands to do and the puppies always love to play together whenever they have the opportunity.

We have signed up to take a bus tour of the Christmas lights around Omaha on December 11. There will be a hot chocolate bar included, along with various forms of alcohol to add to your hot chocolate.  That’s not really something we’re interested in, but the hot chocolate sure does sound good!

Dennis will be picking up his brother at the airport tomorrow evening. He’ll be here for a week for both Thanksgiving and his youngest son’s wedding. Then, on Wednesday evening, we’ll be taking another trip to the airport to pick up our kids! I’m certainly looking forward to this week.

I hope you all have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving holiday if you celebrate it. If you don’t celebrate the holiday, I hope you have a wonderful weekend too.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

12 comments:

  1. Such an upbeat and joyous post! I'm glad things are going well for you!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The socks look fantastic! And the new place has so much going on! Wow!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new place looks wonderful!

    Happy Thanksgiving. Have a wonderful visit with family.

    We are on the road to our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your place looks awesome! Love the socks. I am so happy for you that you will get to be together, maybe you can do the face time thing with your other son and family, too. Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving dear friend. Blessings always. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to play Mexican train! That looks like a wonderful place to be...you can get out and see people without going out in the winter! I hope everyone arrives safely and you have a wonderful thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful place! That movie theater....wow!
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! My head is buzzing with all your plans . . . I would have to have everything wrote down or I'd be afraid of mixing up the dates. I was thinking that with all of this going on poor Betsy won't have time for knitting; then I thought again and figured that you probably always have a project in your bag ready to work on whenever you're waiting in line or sitting still. How else could you possibly get as much done as you do :)
    Your new home is lovely and I'm sure that you will make some new friends there that will carry on after you find your dream home and move once again :) Who knows the Good Lord may have put you there especially for someone in need of hearing the gospel. Happy Thanksgiving and God bless you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I read your post I could feel your excitement!! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. It sounds like you'll have a house full. It's about 6 weeks since we had our Thanksgiving and I feel like I'd like to have another one now. Getting together, visiting and eating together is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing apartment you live in! Enjoy your time with your family - wishing you and all of your family a blessed Thanksgiving ❤️
    Peace,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I thought I added your blog to my reading list, but I guess I didn't. I was just thinking about how I hadn't seen a post from you since we emailed a few months ago! Anyway, I am now following you for certain and am looking forward to visiting. Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great Thanksgiving with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a bit behind in my reading due to my "bug" this past week, Thanksgiving, etc., and now I am trying to get caught up. At first I thought how rich you must be to have such a lovely library in your home, and then another on the next floor! LOL. Then I realized this was in your apartment building! Wow! So many beautiful rooms!! What a wonderful place to live!! You should always have something to do there!! I am sure you must be making some lovely new friends as well! I never thought about all the fun community things you would have living in a place like that. That's really nice. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm sure you did. Thank you for your kind thoughts on my blog! I always enjoy hearing from you. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete