Wednesday, May 4, 2022

The London Eye and the Southbank

We are still having the time of our lives with this sweet little grandbaby of ours and her family. On Saturday we took a ride on the London eye. It’s the big ferris wheel over the Thames River. We also walked along the South Bank of the Thames to the Tate Museum of Modern Art. We have been to the museum before and neither of us was very impressed, so we didn’t go in this time. DIL and J. stayed home while Dennis, Alex and I took the tube to the Southbank. We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant that overlooked the river. It was called Wahaca and the food was delicious. Here are a few photos of our day for you. 

The London eye up close and personal. It’s MUCH bigger than it looks.

The cars were huge. I don’t think they let as many in as they did pre-Covid but there were still about 20 people in our car which was a little nerve-racking.

I thought the picture of the boat going up and down the Thames was hilarious. I had never heard of an Uber boat before! There were a lot of people riding it too.

There are so many gorgeous buildings in the city. Well, in the entire country.

Big Ben and Parliament. Big Ben finally had its scaffolding gone. Our last two trips here we couldn’t see it very well at all.

Buckingham Palace was a little further away so it is somewhat blurry, but you can see it here in the middle of the photo surrounded by the gardens. The gold statue in the courtyard is to the right about 2/3 down.
I have no idea what this building is but isn’t it gorgeous? I would like to have an apartment right there in one of those two towers in the front middle! Ha! Ha!

We were about halfway up when I took this photo of the Southbank. Since it was a bank holiday weekend there were a lot of people around which made us quite nervous. We have tested for Covid on our own twice since we got here just to be sure. We really only have to test the day before we go home. Alex has caught some sort of sinus thing. He’s had symptoms for several days and has tested twice in the past three days, including this morning and he’s still negative. I guess people do still just have plain old colds even in these days. 🤷‍♀️

Here we are walking along the south bank. You can see Big Ben in the distance on the left side of the photo. We were having a good time, but we were looking into the sun here so we don’t look very happy. Sorry about that.😍
We found a wonderful outdoor used book area while walking. There were several book shops selling used books. I found five to buy for Christmas gifts. How fun!
Since then we have been many more places. On Sunday we spent the day in Cambridge visiting our daughter-in-law‘s alma mater and where Alex hopes to attend soon for his PhD. Yesterday we went to an old, old castle. So there will be more photos coming. Sometimes it seems Blogger wants to work for me and sometimes it doesn’t. This morning is one time where I have done this post 11 times so far and it keeps deleting it. I’m trying one more time. I hope this works. I am also able to sporadically comment on your blogs. I am reading them all and I comment when blogger lets me. I’ll be back to visit with you all again very soon. 
Meanwhile I’m hoping you’re having a blessed May and are looking for ways to celebrate and live with joy, this life you’ve been given.

Blessings and love to you all, 
Betsy





23 comments:

  1. Glad to hear and see that you are having such a great time! There is no way I could go on that London Eye - I would be losing anything in my stomach!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The London Eye is on my bucket list!!!! I love your pictures. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful sites and then to get to hold the new grandbaby makes for a great day! (I believe that building where you would like to live in the towers is Whitehall!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't picture 20 people in those pods! LOL Your pictures are beautiful. Enjoy your time with little babe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, I enjoyed the photos you shared from the London Eye 👁 ferris 🎡 wheel. That would be fun to ride on. Not there when we were there years ago last century. England was a nice place to live in for 2 years and good memories. Continue to have a good time and sharing your trip. I have problems with commenting on blogs lately. I did see both of your comments on my latest post and did let them get published.
    We got our new dishwasher delivered on Tues and installed by the man who brought to us. Yeah!! God bless and keep you safe and healthy and Alex to feel better soon.
    Becky L
    https:grandmabeckyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous city! I'm so glad you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like the weather is cooperating so you can see the sights. Love the aerial photos of the landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The building is a hotel and also the Liberal Club, one of the old clubs of London.
    The building used to be the HQ of the Secret Service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably won't be able to get an apartment there then, right. Just joking. It's such a gorgeous building. When I told our DIL about your answer, she told me that too. Apparently her sister was married there! Thanks for letting me know.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful trip! Thank you for your perseverance in posting and sharing all these wonderful pictures with us! As you know, I am on a pretend trip to England myself and these pictures are just a great addition to my day!

    I bet you can't get enough cuddling with the new little granddaughter! I am so glad you are having a wonderful time with your son's family. Continued Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you are having a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely that all is going so well. Nice pictures. I'll enjoy them because I'll never actually go there so this is second best.
    Did you really go on that extremely big ferris wheel?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos! They bring back good memories of our visits there. Thanks for sharing them. BTW, did you ever ride the Great Wheel in Seattle? It's not nearly as big, but you can get some great views, even MT. Rainier if the weather's good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to hear from you two. Sounds like you're having a wonderful time there. I love all the pictures. It's such a treat seeing and hearing about everything that's going on. Take good care and continue to enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like great fun! Cuddle that new Grand every chance you get!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't even imagine being there in person. Everything is so beautiful. I have always wanted to live in England. The picture you took, half way up, of the south bank gave me chills. I am so afraid of heights. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the same building you do (hotel/liberal club)! Gorgeous detail! Sounds and looks like you are having a great time. Continued safe and enjoyable travels to you both — and lots more family time as well :)
    Peace,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you are enjoying your stay, Betsy. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the architecture. Get some cuddles in with the baby! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad to hear you are having an enjoyable trip. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous photos Betsy... makes me just a tad homesick. I used to work just opposite Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament in what was County Hall and crossed over Westminster Bridge at lunch time to eat my sandwiches in the park there😀 The weather looks as if it is behaving well for you too. I have never been on the Eye! Fabulous views! Have fun! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such wonderful photos Betsy I am so glad you are having such a blessed time with your family. I am so sorry I couldn't make it work for us to meet up again as you are such a valued friend. Take care and enjoy your quality time with your new grand baby.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great photos and so glad you are having such a great time! You couldn't pay me enough to go up in that ferris wheel! LOL! I am deathly afraid of heights. I love the bible verse at the end. Happy Mother's Day to you and your DIL!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bless your heart . . . you need to enjoy your vacation and not be spending all this time re-sending and typing your blog. Always thinking of others . . . what a sweetheart you are. I'm not sure if I would actually get on the Ferris wheel or not. In one way I wouldn't want to miss doing it, but in another seeing how large and how high it is would be a bit scary for sure.

    ReplyDelete