Thursday, April 28, 2022

We’re Here!

We began our travel day with a 5:37 pm take off from home. Then we had almost two hours in Chicago before leaving for London at 9:03 pm. Needlessly to say it made a long “day” since we had been awake since 7:00 am.

After 36 1/2 hours awake, we dropped into bed in our favorite London attic room with a private bath and slept like babies last night.  Dennis slept for only about 45 minutes to an hour on the flight itself and I slept “maybe” 30 minutes, and that’s if I’m generous with the time. We were exhausted last night, but after a walk around the neighborhood and a great dinner made by our sweet Daughter-in-love, we were rejuvenated and made it through the evening hours, which is very important to avoid jet lag. This morning we both woke up feeling like ourselves and we began the day.

Our walk last night was to the Paddington Cemetery where the writer of Paddington Bear is buried.

But our first and foremost mission on this trip, is playing with our granddaughter, Miss J. Cuddling, feeding and changing diapers, or nappies as they are called here is taking up lots of time and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

We went to lunch at “The Kilburn Arms,” the pub down the street from the kids house. It was delicious and our princess slept through the entire meal in her pram. The atmosphere was very nice and the pub was very quiet, but then, it was a weekday around 1:30.



These pictures below are out of order and I’m sorry, I can’t get them to correct. More photos from Paddington Cemetery.

A WWI memorial to the soldiers of Paddington.

Several family members in one spot.

It’s an old cemetery with gravestones falling over.

This person was born in 1819 but has a newer stone???

After lunch our in-laws, (the other set of grandparents), stopped by to welcome us “home”. We so enjoy their company.  Dennis and I had each taken a Covid test this morning that turned out  negative and that set everyone’s minds at ease after we had been flying for so long.

Tonight we had a roast chicken dinner made by our dear DIL. Also mashed potatoes, cheesy cauliflower bake, stuffing, Yorkshire pudding, gravy, green beans & carrots For dessert we had warm apple pie and custard.

Tomorrow they are registering Miss J and then all four grandparents will join the three of them for a picnic in Queens Park. We’re making several salads in the morning and I baked chocolate chip cookie bars tonight. Another fun day is ahead. 

We are loving our time here so much. I dreaded the flight because of my back, but so far, so good. 

I’m having trouble commenting, but I am reading blogs. You may not get comments while I’m gone, but I am trying to keep up with all of you.

Take care everyone. I’m off to bed now.

I am SO thankful to the Lord for giving us the opportunity to hold this precious new life in our arms.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

21 comments:

  1. Oh Betsy! I'm so thankful you had such a lovely flight, and were able to recover without the jeg lag, and enjoy this precious time with your daughter and new grandbaby! Congratulations on her birth, and so thankful that the Lord has blessed you with this new little one! Enjoy your time in London, and I so enjoyed the pictures you have already shared! What a joy to be there and enjoying this time with them! Praying that your back continues to do well and that you can enjoy your time there to the fullest! Blessings and hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy,

    Glad you arrived in England without too many delays. Those long trips are exhausting, aren't they? Enjoy the rest of your stay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first post didn't work. Sound like something crazy is going on. Glad you trip was good and enjoy your stay with your sweet new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear that you arrived safely, if not exhausted. I know you will cherish the time you have with your new granddaughter, your son, and DIL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessed person you are! A safe trip, a beautiful baby, your son and daughter-in-love, great friends/co-grandparents and a lovely country to visit. The foods all sound so wonderful, too! Excuse me while I enlarge the photos so I can see every detail!!! Enjoy your time and don't let go of little Miss J!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betsy, Glad you made it safely and that your back did well. Enjoy your stay and that new baby! ....Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Betsy....so good to hear from you! Glad you got there safely and are having such a wonderful time with your family there and especially that new baby girl! It's so fun to see all that you are doing. I enjoy it so much that I feel like I am there too! Hope your back continues to do well. Thanks so much for thinking of all of us and sharing your traveling joys! God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Descendants of people will sometimes have new headstones made for their ancestors, even people who don't know anything about the deceased person will do that out of the goodness of their hearts. Plus, genealogical societies will do the same. I was a genealogical society president years ago; we often had old headstones re-engraved and even had some new ones done for a few resting souls (depended on how much money our treasurer said we had lol). // If you read my latest blog post, you'll see there are currently a lot of commenting problems going on. So far, I can comment on yours, but there are many I can't. // Have a lovely time with that grandbaby and family! Sending you lotsa hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much fun is that? I just got my latest Grand's birth sampler kit in the mail and it came from the UK. I didn't realize the ABC was about all things British. I was thinking of you when I saw it. The dad to be did spend some time in London a while ago so I am hoping he will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you got to London safely and a good time out and about. That's alot of hours to stay awake but I know how it is to fly to/from England. I remember not sleeping much at all on plane from PDX to Anchorage, AK last Aug. I'd not slept well the night prior and we had to get up early to get to the airport. At least we didn't have to drive from hotel to airport. Have a good time with family and drink up mug of tea for me...teehee! Hug and blessings, my friend, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is fabulous Betsy and so very glad you had no trouble with your back on the flight over. I bet you couldn't wait to give your new granddaughter loads of cuddles! How thrilling :-) I am sure Mum and Dad were delighted with your lovely cross-stitch sampler and all the baby things you made for little one. Sounds like you are having good weather too if you are off to have a picnic in Queens Park. Such a super special trip! Enjoy! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you arrived safe and sound if a little tired. Glad your back isn't bothering you. Where are the photos of the baby and her parents and relatives? Enjoy your wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun Betsy! Good to know you two arrived safely (even if tired!!) and it sounds like you are having a marvelous time. Like us, you are so fortunate to enjoy the company of your daughter-in-law's parents. Life is so much easier and more fun when you all get along. Enjoy your visit and be sure to get many, many cuddles in while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you arrived safely! That food looked so good. Its a good thing my device doesn't have smell-o-vision! Have fun and bring some English tea to send me. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so good to hear that you made it and had a good flight. I'm sure your visit will be wonderful . . . thanks for including us on your adventure. Praying that your back gives you little or no pain and that you have a safe and glorious time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! I have been praying for safe travels for you two. Oh I know you are having a blast with the new little one. Enjoy your time sweet friend. Blessings always. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good to know you arrived safely and your back isn't giving any grief. Sounds like all is going very well. Have fun cuddling the little sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD, and the fruit of the womb is His reward". Ps 127:3

    Praising God with you darling sis, yes praying each day for God's blessing with mercy abounding, dear Betsy..
    Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and keep you and all whom you love safe and well.
    Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

    {Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
    {Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoy every minute you have with that sweet baby! Connie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Betsy, so glad you and Dennis are there. Wish we could see the sweet new baby, but understand. Your daughter-in-law sounds like a wonderful cook! Hope you enjoy every minute there...with no back pain. Love the verse you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm just catching up....nice to know you made it safely to London! Great post!

    ReplyDelete