Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Year a Day Late

Happy New Year to you all.  We had a very quiet day here at home yesterday  We didn't even go to our party at church for New Year's Eve.  I have had back issues off and on for a couple of years.  This past month has not been good and the past week the worst yet.  I ended up going to the doctor on the 31.  He gave me medication, sent me to the hospital for some xrays and I start physical therapy on Monday.  Goody, goody.   The pain has eased with the medication.  Yesteday we watched HGTV all day and I crocheted lots of little squares you'll see later in the post.  

This morning we met friends for breakfast and then came home so Dennis could clean off the driveway and sidewalks again.  Yep.  We got more snow last night and this morning with more predicted for Sunday.  He won't let me lift a shovel so far this year.  He takes such good care of me.  :-)

I posted this photo below on facebook and the general opinion is that I'm cheap!  That could be true.  We have used this exact same tinsel on all of our trees since the first Christmas we married, 36 years ago. The two unopened packages say $.66 on them!  I don't know if you can even buy it anymore.   The first few years it was a money saving thing.  We were poor!  But then it became tradition to just reuse the tinsel over and over.  The paper bag is even old!
A better picture.
Mt. Spokane on Friday from our back deck.  It looks like someone sprinkled powder all over it.
On Wednesday I stopped in at Paradise Fibers.  Oh my!  I just wandered around for an hour or two and visited with a couple of ladies I used to be in a knitting group with.
This store is amazing and just goes on and on.  I wander around petting the yarn.  :-)  You would be proud of me.  I didn't buy any yarn, just a set of stitch markers for a gift.  The vast majority of their business is one online.  If you haven't checked it out, you should.  They have everything from accessories to yarn to spinning wheels, looms and fiber.
When I got home I was determined to start organizing my patterns.  I used to have them under control but lately it seems like I print out a pattern, use it and then just add it to the pile on my sewing machine.  Here are a few pattern books for cross stitch and crochet.
Just SOME of the hundreds of patterns I have.  I always put the printed patterns in a sheet protector. See the pile of three ring binders on the floor.  My plan was to put shawls in one, socks in another, baby items in another, etc.  Then I want to subdivide them in the actual binder as to items, i.e. baby socks, hats, sweaters etc.  Well, I did get them all into the binders but not subdivided.  By then I was in so much pain with my back from bending, and sitting in these straight chairs that I gave up.  But...they are all into the binders now.  Next week I will tackle the rest, so there is progress being made.
As I mentioned before, yesterday I sat and watched HGTV all day and crocheted 72 of these little squares for the baby blanket corners.  All of these became......
......these. 
This afternoon I'll attach them to the blankets and hopefully finish them.  I was asked about this pattern by a blog reader and it's one I've made hundreds of blankets with.  It's called the "Rainbow Set" which includes a blanket, jacket and booties.  I just make the blankets.  I believe it was put out by Leisure Arts but I don't know if it's still in print or not.  I think I've been making them for over 30 years.  When they're done I'll post a picture.  Two of them are already accounted for and I'll have one in reserve.

One of our adopted daughters in Japan is due with a baby girl on my birthday, February 1!  I'm so excited.  One of these blankets will be going to her and I need to make a sweater set too.  I plan to do some shopping very soon and sending a box of goodies to our newest granddaughter to be.  She has a big brother, Harutaro who is 4 and a little doll.  Harumi, (the Mommy), wants me to come over for the due date but I don't think that will happen.  I managed to arrive in Tokyo the day after Harutaro was born and was the first of the grandparents to get to hold him.  That was very, very special.

We got more of this last night and this morning and a big snow is predicted for Sunday.  You can see where our tracks are after we came home from breakfast.  Dennis had shoveled before we left and it sowed just a bit after we left home.  Okay.  I'm ready for spring.  I'm tired of this stuff.
I hope you are all having a nice quiet and restful weekend.  May the new year be full of happiness and joy and lots of wonderful crafty goodness in your life.  I consider myself very fortunate to have each of you as a part of my life.  Thank you for your wonderful comments.

"Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
Hebrews 4:16

Blessings always my sweet friends,
Betsy

19 comments:

  1. Sending prayers that your back will heal quickly. So sorry you have been in pain sweet friend. Ok, I just want to be locked up inside Paradise Fibers for a weekend! I'd love to see just how much of it I could knit/crochet up. Goodness, that an awesome store. I will have to check out their on line shop. Love how you store your patterns. Great idea. Hope you get to feeling better very soon. Blessing always sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am sorry Dennis has to deal with it, I love seeing your snow, Betsy! I really felt like I was with you today through this post, and enjoyed all you shared accept for the back pain :-( I watched the Rose Bowl Parade and then various Bowl games, including the Rose Bowl where our mighty Oregon Ducks played so well. Now I am enjoying our wintery sunshine and getting ready to go swimming. Praying God will sort out your back soon and that you will continue to have happy creative days!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you have been in pain Betsy. No fun, I know. I am hoping therapy does good for you.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The amount of yarn in that store seems overwhelming to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your back pain eases and goes completely away. It's not fun having to deal with that. I don't think you are cheap, I think it is a grand tradition. It's little things like that which make Christmas special. I'm sorry you are getting snow. Luckily, East Tennessee hasn't seen any yet and I wouldn't mind if it stayed that way. All we are seeing a lot of is flu. I've been staying home to avoid it. I did get a flu shot but so did a lot of other people who have gotten the flu. Take care and rest that back.
    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Betsy.. I am so sorry to hear of your back pain. You need to take some lessons from Dayle and I.. we have the relaxing thing down pat. :-) I have had back pain in my past so I can totally relate. Have you tried a chiropractor? They help me when I have that issue. When do you plan another trip to Portland? We need a long afternoon of chatting. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Betsy I am so sorry about the bad back, back pain is horrible. I am glad you are getting therapy for it, make sure they treat you right and know what they are doing. I will be sending you positive thoughts for quick healing.

    I think you are very organized, I just have a stack of patterns in my closet. One folder is crochet, one is knitting. I need to go through them.

    Sending you a very gentle hug.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Back pain is miserable. I've had surgery on mine but before you just never knew when it would happen. Ice and Advil were all that helped. But you have to watch taking very much Advil. Hope the pain goes away soon. A new baby, exciting. Congratulations and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my back issues, my son has back pain too. So much pain! You are in my prayers. I have been having issues with my knees doctor wants me to replace them. But I've opted for gel shots so far it's work perfectly. If it lasts for a year I'd be one happy camper.
    I'm going to make another of those blankets too. My sisters son just had a little 6 pound baby girl. She's so cute! I love baby crocheting. Be blessed my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year. I hope that in 2015 you (and I) will have lots of Joy, Happiness, and GOOD HEALTH....

    So sorry to hear about your back. Pain is NO fun ---I KNOW! I hope you can get some relief soon. Please take care.

    We don't use icicles on our Christmas tree anymore---but we did when my kids were little and when I was young..... By the way, I'm Betsy Banks Adams on Facebook if you want to friend me.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Betsy, I'm so sorry to hear that you are in such pain with your back! I hope the therapy helps soon. Back pain is awful! You certainly managed to stay productive while resting!
    The tinsel is amazing! I remember using that as a kid. But I haven't seen it in years!!! You are a good saver!!!
    Happy news about the new baby! Sad that they are so far away!
    Hugs and healing wishes.
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back pain is definitely NOT fun! I have had issues with it as has my DH. When it was really bad PT was of help and they gave me exercises to do which I should still be doing. I pray that they are able to help you also Betsy.
    Blessings, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending you get well wishes and hoping you feel better soon. Congratulations, a new baby in the family exciting times. Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about your back pain, I really can empathise. I hope that it will rapidly improve very very soon.

    That yarn store looks incredible! I think I would just like to live there!!

    Our snow has gone now, which is just as well as it had all turned to ice and we have to return to work on Monday (both DH and I do a lot of driving for work) poor Dennis it looks like he has an endless task on hand clearing the driveway at this time of year.

    Hope you have a good (and pain free) weekend.

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry to hear about your back bothering you...not fun! Look at you though...organizing in spite of it. I do the same with patterns. I think it might have been me that asked about the pattern for the baby blanket. I'll look for it as lots of people sell their old pattern books on Ebay and Etsy. Congratulations on the new grand baby! How exciting!
    As for your back, do you walk regularly? I find walking tends to put things back in place especially if you've been sitting a lot. Also, your back muscles are what holds everything together so you need to keep them strong. I have very strong back muscles from riding horses and lifting hay and still lift everything myself; rock salt, furniture etc. I never have back pain or problems. I'm sure the PT will have much better advice than I do though.
    P.S. For walking in snow/ice I use Yak Tracks....they go on any shoes and have cleats to grip the ice/snow. I used to walk even when I lived in Iowa in the snow and below zero temps. It's amazing how warm you stay when you're walking. Take care sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I forgot about the tinsel.....we used to save ours and I can remember as a child running it through my fingers to press the wrinkles out before putting it on the tree. Now it's made of plastic. Good for you saving it all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have had back pain off and on for many years. something that helps me a lot is NOT sitting...but standing. My computer is on top of a 4 ft. bookcase and now I can't even imagine sitting and working on it. If I am sitting to knit, I get up frequently. best to you, Mary in Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
  18. I pulled out my new vacuum yesterday and vacuumed our new to us loveseat/sleeper. Love it! We are having some wind and a bit of rain. Warmer than the 35/25 degree weather for a week, no snow. I was on my bed for 1.5 hours this afternoon, just resting, little sleep. Have been so tired lately. Back to work tomorrow! I pray your back gets better and your pain subsides. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry about your back my dear friend. I hope the PT works for you. I have been having some issues after the move and have been doing PT. It has helped a bit. Hope yours improve fast. I love the tinsel... Love traditions and things that reminds me of my childhood ... And I think our kids really appreciate them as they get older. Can't wait to see the blankets done. I'm sure they will be gorgeous. Get weel and feel better my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete