Saturday, September 7, 2024

Gorgeous Weather

Happy Saturday night to each of you! We had a lovely time camping from Labor Day afternoon until Thursday afternoon. The entire park, which is huge, had pretty well emptied out from a fully packed place over the weekend. In our camping loop there were only 5-6 spots occupied and all by retirees. It made for a REALLY quiet camping trip. Just what we wanted. We only had to have the A/C on for one day so we were able to spend a lot of time outside.

The park is about 3 miles from the little town of Ashland. Dennis drove into town each morning and bought us each one donut! Very fresh donuts too and with only one donut, we couldn't over eat. :-)

The view from our camper.

All of the summer activities were over after Labor Day on Monday. Below you'll see the Owen Marina that was just down the trail from us. By Tuesday they were already taking the paddle boats out of the water and getting ready to store them.

Another marina view. There is also a huge waterpark with pools and slides, etc. Horseback riding, several zip lines, a movie theater, big lodge, dozens of fully furnished cabins and and an ice skating rink. As I said, it's a huge park and only about 20 minutes from home. I'm probably forgetting something else it has. As I said though, all except camping, the lodge and cabins are closed for the winter now.

There are hiking trails all over the park and los of wildflower gardens.

So pretty! See Dennis waiting patiently for me in the truck? We had just come back from a trip to Ashland for our morning donuts! :-)

Just past the the entrance to the State Park is this other parking lot.

It is a big Aerospace Museum. We really want to visit here, especially since Dennis was in the Air Force. We plan to go in the near future when we can leave Zoey home and not worry about her being alone in the camper for a longer length of time. She has separation anxiety and does much better at home without us than anywhere else besides Mandy's. We want to be able to take our time since we both like airplanes.

Another view of the entrance. I love all of the flags. I admit it. I'm patriotic and I love our country. I sure hope we can get back on track soon and leave all of the bickering behind us.

One more view by our spot. I loved watching the ducks and geese land on the lake and swim around.

My friend Nita in Spokane asked for a bag to wear around her neck for her phone when she takes walks. I had made myself one when we walked at the lake together before we moved. I have no idea what happened to mine, so I just improvised a pattern yesterday. It went off in the mail to her this morning. Her favorite color is the same as mine...purple of any shade!

Remember this photo from my last post? Well the blanket is finished now, but I forgot to take a photo before it was given away.  Imagine it being 30 inches square. I'm sorry I forgot to photograph it for you. 

Last year I had our kids annual Christmas tree ornaments done by the end of July. I just started this years ornaments yesterday! I have no idea why I'm so far behind. I finished the cross stitch on one this afternoon and just started the 2nd. I have seven to stitch and then make into ornaments. I also normally have all my Christmas shopping done by now too, but this year? Nope. I have a few things prepared, but I need to get busy. We always celebrate Christmas with Alex, "T" and Baby "J" when they come at Thanksgiving, so that only gives me a little over two months to get some ideas and then either make or buy their gifts. Yikes!

And finally, Dennis and I are taking another trip! We were sitting in the camper the other day and we realized that we can take more than one weeklong camping trip a year now that we're retired! So I went online right then and made reservations at our favorite place near Custer, SD and Mt. Rushmore. We're going on the 16th and need to be home by the 26 or 27th. We're staying at that campground for seven nights and will visit some of our favorite Black Hills places without so many tourists.  Summertime is insanely busy. When we were there in July we didn't do much because we were so tired, but we're looking forward to hiking around Sylvan Lake, Harney Peak and others. Driving the Iron Mountain Road and seeing the begging burros. We want to visit the graves of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane! We're looking forward to all of this. If we have time on the way home, we'll stop in DeSmet S.D. to visit the homestead of Laura Ingalls Wilder. We're looking forward to it. 

We don't like to be gone more than a week at a time because of Mom and we only have one more camping trip of 3 days planned in October with our minister Jeff, his wife Angie and Curt and Barb. That's at the beginning of the month and unless it stays really warm, we'll probably winterize the camper after that.

I hope all is well with all of you my friends. Please remember that no matter how crazy the world can seem to be at times, Jesus is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Put your hope, faith and trust in Him and life will never be the same. He is the Comforter and the Prince of Peace.


I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the rosesAnd the voice I hear, falling on my earThe Son of God discloses
And He walks with meAnd He talks with meAnd He tells me I am His ownAnd the joy we share as we tarry thereNone other has ever known
He speaks and the sound of His voiceIs so sweet the birds hush their singingAnd the melody that He gave to meWithin my heart is ringing
And He walks with meAnd He talks with meAnd He tells me I am His ownAnd the joy we share as we tarry thereNone other has ever known
I stayed in the garden with HimThough the night all around me is fallingBut He bids me go, through the voice of woeHis voice to me is calling
And He walks with meAnd He talks with meAnd He tells me I am His ownAnd the joy we share as we tarry thereNone other has ever knownNone other has ever known


Blessings and Love,
Betsy


15 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great time on your trip.
    I can't imagine what the Christmas decorations will be like,
    I wish you could show us them.
    I'm sure the blanket you knitted was fantastic!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great to visit places "off season"! One of the perks of retirement. It is like you rented the whole place just for yourselves. All the beauty and lots of privacy. What a great spot for a get away! I would rather sit and watch the process of taking the boats out of the water while enjoying the sunshine and cooler temps than to be there on a crowded and busy day. I like the one fresh donut plan too, lol. The airplane museum sounds interesting. I hope you can make the trip soon. Enjoy your next trips! I think it is great that you two can spend time together relaxing. I have you beat on Christmas. A few years ago I decided to get everyone in my family a season ticket to a nearby amusement park. So far, everyone is still on board with it, but I am not sure once the older kids head to college. Even the adults are surprised how often they visit over the summer. The passes go on sale in August, gulp, so it was a big cash outlay all at once on top of the root canal, new cap, new refrigerator and everything else this summer, but I did it and now hopefully smoke will quit coming from my bank book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Betsy, Looks like that campground and all its activities cater to families and of course school has started and I bet most of their work force is High School and College students! Good place to relax in the Fall! Your trip to SD sounds great, it has been a long time since we have been there or anyplace for that matter. You will enjoy that trip! You did a great job on your phone carrier...I have a small leather one for my phone when I do mowing. Your hand are always busy...I am working on the final inspection of the Christmas ornaments...then onto painting. Slow but sure. The PT has really helped my pain....I have had pain so long that my back and leg feel "funny" without it. I am so thankful for the improvement! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful trip! I feel more relaxed just revisiting it with you. I like the sound of your next adventure too. My neighbors up the street, both retired bought a giant travel trailer and I've only seen them move it twice this whole year. No dog, no family, so I'm not sure what keeps them home. I'd be on the road most of the year if I were them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place you went to and had some relaxing times. Now you have at least one more planned. Good for you. Do all the things you planned to do while you both have the health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the Garden in one of my favorites. The line "when He speaks the bird's hush they're singing" sometimes gives me goosebumps.

    Steve and I used to love camping in September. The weather is perfect and like you said the crowds are gone. It's such a tranquil time to be out in the fresh air and enjoying sitting around a campsite. I think Spring and Autumn are my two favorite times of the year. That's kind of funny because when I was a kid I remember summer and winter were my two favorite times of the year. The last day of school and the begining of summer vacation was so exciting and so was seeing the first snowflakes of winter.

    As always I enjoyed your post.
    God bless you and your family.
    You're blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. QUE HERMOSO LUGAR DEB, QUE SUERTE QUE TIENES DE PODER SALIR A ACAMPAR, TE SALUDO POR TU ANIVERSARIO Y ESPERO QUE LO HAYAN PASADO LINDO. GRACIAS POR TU DULCE COMENTARIO EN MI BLOG. BENDICIONES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE DEB, HOW LUCKY YOU ARE TO BE ABLE TO GO CAMPING, I GREET YOU ON YOUR ANNIVERSARY AND I HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TIME. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SWEET COMMENT ON MY BLOG. BLESSINGS.

      Delete
  8. Great scenery! The wild flowers are of a stunning beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure looks like a beautiful place to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your upcoming trips sounds great Betsy. Good for you, to plan a couple more trips yet this year. I know they bring you the serenity you desire. It's nice to go after Labor day when the crowds are diminished. We used to do that in Jackson Hole area. Although sometimes we'd run into snow going over the Pass. Take good care and keep trusting in God!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another good trip even though it's close where you live. The photos reminded me of the area you were at in Spokane when we visited you and Dennis. Phil and I went to an airplane museum when we were in TN years ago. Ones that we've not seen in Oregon. Enjoy your next vacation next week. Megan will be flying to Maryland next week for a few days which is work related. Includes a football game with he coworkers, which seems nice. Hugs and blessings, creative friend! :-> 😀 Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Belated happy anniversary! 46 years..that is wonderful! I loved that campground in Ashland.....what a place! It had everything. Loved the wildflowers. please tale lots of pictures when you go to the Black Hills. I would love to see the grave sites and Laura's home. Have a great time. The blanket pattern is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I somehow missed this post, but have enjoyed reading it and seeing all the pictures from your camping trip, etc. Looks like a great time, and now I understand you are getting ready to head out again! Why not? Enjoy the nice weather while you can! Take care and have a great time!! God be with you always.

    ReplyDelete