Friday, August 2, 2024

A Wild Week!

Hello again! Hasn’t it been a crazy week again? It sure seems like every week around the world is like this anymore. Wars and rumors of war. Crazy, crazy political happenings. Meanwhile, most of us here in the U.S. go on with our lives like nothing is happening. But I guess what can we do except pray about all of it? And believe me, I definitely do that. So in light of that, I will show you what’s been happening in our lives this past week.

But first, I want to show you our set up at our friends house when we were in Spokane. This photo makes our camper look crazy long but it’s only a 30 foot trailer.

We were getting things set up for our Fourth of July bash! We had several friends from church that came over and celebrated the fourth with us. We had a fun potluck and then visited for hours and hours. Paul and Lori have this nice saltwater swimming pool. Since it was 106F on the Fourth of July, it sure looked mighty inviting.

The two puppies had a grand time running around and playing in the backyard. Zoey doesn’t have anywhere to run off leash at home, so she especially enjoyed this. Every morning at 6:00 am, Izzy would come to our camper to ask Zoey to come out and play and they were inseparable the rest of the day. Lori’s garden in the galvanized container was thriving with all of the heat. In the two weeks we were there, her sweet corn shot up over 3 feet!

I took Mom for a haircut the first Tuesday we were home and then she wanted to go out for breakfast. We stopped at a Village Inn where she had her favorite, biscuits and gravy. I couldn’t believe she ate it all! For such a tiny lady, she can really eat when it’s something she enjoys. 💜 Aren’t her fingernails pretty? Piper‘s been doing them for her and Mom loves it. That’s one thing that she always did. She painted her own nails and they were always beautiful. Piper is doing a great job and it helps them bond even more.

Then on Monday of this week, Dennis’s two cousins and his Uncle Al drove down from Minneapolis. They try to do this twice a year to visit with their remaining siblings. Out of 11 siblings totaling 22 aunts and uncles on the Soliday side of the family, these four are the last that are left. Starting in the front, Uncle Al (92), Aunt Joyce (88), Mom (88), Aunt Jean (94). A very few of the cousins were, there because there are literally dozens of cousins, but most of them live all over the country. Left to right, Bonnie, Nancy, Laura, Pam, Roxie, and of course, Dennis.

We had a wonderful time having pizza and cake and visiting for hours and hours. The plan is for them to be back in October for another visit. Uncle Al still goes on 2 to 3 mile hikes every day. At 92, he is an inspiration. He is one of the kindest men I’ve ever met. He used to be a city councilman years ago in the town of Coon Rapids, Minnesota,

Now on the Queen side of the family there were nine siblings. Back when Grandma Queen was still alive they added up her descendants and at that time, she had 86 grandchildren and 59 great-grandchildren. She already had 19 great-great-grandchildren! 

It was quite a shocker for me when I married Dennis. I came from a family of six aunts and uncles and seven cousins total, from both my mom and dad sides of the family! Saying I was a bit intimidated at family gatherings would be an gross understatement.🤣

Miss Piper and Lizzie spent Tuesday night and Wednesday night with us this week. School is due to start the week after next, so we’re trying to get in as much time as we can. Originally she was only going to stay one night, but changed her mind and wanted to stay two. I think she would have stayed with us last night too if we hadn’t had a meeting we had to go to regarding Medicare for me. 

Yes, I’ll be 65 on February 1 and so will finally be eligible for Medicare. Glory hallelujah! This marketplace insurance I’ve been on since Dennis retired literally stinks to high heaven. You pay a fortune for nothing. I’ve just been praying that my pacemaker battery holds out until I hit Medicare. So far so good.  This month I have my annual exam with the cardiologist and my annual physical. Otherwise, I have not gone to the doctor all year because I’m trying to avoid the high cost. We have to pay everything up to $9700 in addition to the monthly premium. Then the insurance will pay a percentage.  Needless to say, a cardiologist visit when my pacemaker is interrogated, was over $800 last year. I have to do both of these visits yearly though, in order to get my prescriptions renewed. Marketplace insurance is a joke in my humble opinion.

This is Piper and the girls favorite place to sit. Right between Papa and I while we watch a movie about a Prince and Princess. Can you tell how much the puppies love her? This young lady won nine purple ribbons at the county fair this year, with three of the items going to the state fair next month. I lost track of what other ribbons she won. She’s a very talented young lady.

On Wednesday night, we had a doozy of unexpected thunderstorm. We knew we were going to get possible thundershowers and rain, but this blew up into something awful. Over 330,000 people in the metro area lost their power. Some are not expected to get it back for 7 to 10 days! The weathercaster said that rates it in the top five of worst storms in Omaha since recorded history. The highest recorded wind speed that I heard was 100.7 mph! They said it’s the equivalent of a category 2 hurricane. And it came out of nowhere, so no one was prepared. There is so much property damage. They closed the airport afterwards because the winds even moved jets around on the jetways and they needed to inspect for damages to the planes in the buildings. We sat here and watched the weather forecast as it was going on and never lost power at all. The tornado sirens did go off, warning people to take cover because of the high winds. Dennis and Piper had been in the swimming pool less than an hour before it hit . It was absolutely crazy how fast it all happened. 

Yesterday Piper and I went to JoAnn’s Fabric and she took a couple of pictures from the car as we drove down 144th, one of the main streets in Omaha. 





These are just a very few of the trees we saw as we drove a relatively short distance down the street. Trees are on houses, decks and cars. Roofs were blown off of buildings. We also received over 2 1/2 inches of rain in a 40 minute period. 

On nearly every corner going south to north, signs in the medians were laying flat down as you see in this photo. We saw at least two dozen signs like this. I thought Piper did a great job taking these photos as we were driving down the road.

Mandy sent me this photo of Brad that evening after the storm, walking down the street with his chainsaw to help the neighbors. They had a tree come down on their fence in the backyard, but it doesn’t seem to have done any damage. Happily their neighborhood is fairly new so the trees aren’t very large. This was the worst time of the year that this could happen because the trees are at their heaviest with leaves and with winds like that, they didn’t stand a chance. 

Well, that’s been our last week. It’s been a busy, busy time. Dennis has run to the store this morning to pick up a few things and I need to make three dozen deviled eggs and a big macaroni salad today because we have a funeral at church tomorrow. We will both be working in the kitchen providing the lunch, but hope to be able to attend part of the service. I grew up with Brian and Kathy in the same small town in Iowa. Their 50th anniversary would have been tomorrow, but Brian passed unexpectedly of an aneurysm in his lung about a month ago. Such a sad time. 

But it will sure be a busy few days coming up again. I’m hoping next week is quieter so we can catch our breath. On top of all this, Dennis did his regular volunteering at the open door mission and had to take the camper into the shop and leave it for some work that was never done when we purchased it. It’s always something isn’t it?

I’m praying for each and everyone of you, that you’ll have a wonderful weekend and be blessed by our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I’ll be back to visit again soon.

Blessings and love
Betsy

24 comments:

  1. Indeed your caravan looks big and cosy, I like that you have a carpet underneath. Your mother is lovely, very nice of you to take her for a haircut and food. If there is still solidarity for help, we are on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that storm certainly was something terrible! I'm so thankful you or yours weren't hurt in any way, but so sad for those who are without power for so long. That is really difficult. Oh, your trip to Spokane and your accommodations certainly look wonderful! That camper is lovely! What a great way to travel! Piper and the pups look quite happy and contented there. No wonder she wanted to stay another night with you! Yikes on that insurance that you have! That's terrible. I know our kids here have that kind of insurance and they avoid going to the Dr. all the time, so what good is it to have it if you can't afford to even use it? What a travesty. I'm happy for you to finally reach the age of Medicare! It will be much easier for you and more affordable for sure! Oh, I was wondering, is your mother in law a twin? You said the other sister was the same age as her, so I am assuming so? That certainly was a big family! Wow! Amazing and wonderful too! And your MIL's nails are lovely! She looks so very nice, and yes, I'm amazed she could eat all that food! LOL. Well, take care and I hope you have a better week ahead with no storms! And I do pray for our nation/world to settle down as well, but we know it won't until Jesus comes to take us to heaven...and then, well, I guess it will get worse for those who are left behind. Praying for so many who still don't believe. I pray they wake up before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam, We always have great fun when Piper comes to stay. Aunt Joyce and Mom are the same age, but Aunt Joyce is one of the in-laws. She was married to Uncle Chuck who was a brother who has passed away. The other three are siblings. There were actually 16 children born, but five died as babies or young toddlers.
    I think we are getting close to going to Heaven and I'm looking forward to that, but like you, I believe it will get worse for those left behind. I pray everyday for those who don't believe in the saving grace of Jesus.
    I hope your Friday is a great one my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world is crazy, I try not to listen to the News and just do what I can do everyday. You have been busy, so glad you made it to Spokane to visit with your friends and then more visiting since you have been back. Piper is so cute with her bestest friends! School doesn't start here in MN until after Labor Day. Storms and floods and fires all over, but God will see us through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was watching The Weather Channel calling that storm and I was thinking of you. You all have been through so much with the tornadoes earlier so I just couldn't imagine what you were going through with 100 mile an hour winds predicted.
    The Mister's brother just sold his house and is moving into a trailer like yours at the end of the month. Before that he's getting rotator cuff surgery. I can't imagine living the trailer life with one arm in a sling for 6 weeks. They could have planned that a bit better.
    Piper looks so happy with her pups around her! How lucky you are to have such a lovely Grand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weather has been crazy this Summer, and the wind has blown more than it normally does this time of year. Several large wildfires in the State keep the sky full of smoke and haze.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful visit with your friends! And Mom is looking good. A horrible storm, so sad for those with losses and damage. I can't imagine going that long without utilities.
    I couldn't wait to get on Medicare and I am not impressed. There are so many supplementals and you are rolling the dice as to if yours will cover any new diagnosis's this year. And everything is so subjective. My friend is one county away and the plans she can purchase are different than the plans I can purchase. Our prescription coverage is the worse. After evaluating all the Part D's available to us, this year we have a plan that I get to pay every month for the privilege of having a card. For the 3rd year since I have been on Medicare, I still have not reached my deductible and pay 100% out of pocket for prescriptions. Not that I want more or more expensive prescriptions to meet the deductible, but it seems like I am on the wrong end of the stick. Last year I met the deductible with the last prescription of the year. So almost something they paid for, LOL.
    The supplemental has a huge deductible and it is a guessing game to figure out what is covered. We learned this year to go to an ER, not an urgent care.
    And worst is the plans change every year, especially the prescription part. I thought once I made spreadsheets and a decision, my job was done. Nope, every fall they come out with new prices and you get to start over. Bah Humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you Betsy, you've had quite the week. So sorry about more bad weather for your area. Hope that's the last of it for this summer anyway. Love your pictures and all your news. Take good care until next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a busy life you have! And what a storm too!! With all that rain and ferocious wind it's a wonder not more damage happened. I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an update. I have not been on here to read many blogs over the last few weeks. I love your camper set up. We packed up for our first camping trip about a week ago, but never went. It has just been so humid and hot here. The humidity has been it's worst. I love that your families get together like that. That storm looks like a doozie too. Gosh. I will try and catch up on reading blogs, but we've been so busy here despite lack of a garden harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Betsy! I love reading your blog and this is my first time to comment. I have a dog question! What breed are Lizzy and Zoey? I just think they're adorable and such great companions. We have a Yorkie, and when she passes we will probably wait to get another dog so we can do some traveling after my hubby retires. But I'd love a dog like Zoey some day. She's just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. I forgot to sign my comment! My name is Trish 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are bracing for a storm to hit tomorrow/Monday; at least we have a warning for ours! It sure is good to see Brad out willing to help as needed! A good young man. Piper is growing up--tho she still is a fav with the pups! lol The camper is so inviting for you and for guests...you are a good wife and friend...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, my friend. What an update! First of all, I am so happy to see your lovely momma! And her nails are so pretty painted!! Your camper set up looks so cozy! I am glad you were not affected by the terrible storm. It sounds horrible! I am sure you are making such wonderful memories with sweet Piper! Always love my visits here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your moms nails! I used to paint my nails all the time but when I hit menopause I became allergic to it. I was able to use polish again after it ended but then I got a job as the administrative assistant to the facility manager so my hands were in chemicals (with gloves but still) and I just stopped using it. Your moms nails are so pretty!

    My mom had one brother - named Bob. My dad had one brother - named Bob. My only living grandfather was named Bob. And my only male cousin... you guessed it! I can only imagine what it was like for you meeting your husbands family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember seeing your trailer by a river when you lived in Spokane. I am glad it's cozy to stay in. I am glad you weren't out of power and nobody died due to weather you shared. It's been hot for a week and still in the low 90s most of the week. Piper is creative and adorable girl. I did some cutting of a couple items to make that are fabric. I enjoyed being at Bernina sewing center in Keizer for 4 hours and did get a bit of help yesterday! Hope you all stay safe and enjoyed reading about family! Hugs and prayers, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  17. I certainly sounds like you've been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all thank you very much for the sweet comment that you left on my blog. Through the years following your blog we've all been able to see Piper grow up and what a pretty and sweet young lady she's growing into. Now you have a reason to go to the State Fair this year, don't you, how exciting!
    I've never experienced a storm that bad and hope I never do. I have some awfully big trees in my yard I would hate to see come down especially on our house or anyone else's. To me that would be the scariest part of it. Doing without electricity is not good, but bearable. Having your trees do damage to your neighbor's homes that would be a hard one to live with.
    Here's wishing you a lovely and blessed day God bless you.
    You're blogging friend Connie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Betsy! I saw your comment on sweet Marilyn's blog and decided to come pay you a visit. It was nice to catch up with what is happening in your life. I can't believe how big Piper is getting! I'm glad all is well with you and your family. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've had a busy summer! Glad you've had some fun times (camping, etc.). The weather is nuts this year. We are having more rain today. Everything is soggy!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a very busy life! What is the purpose of a salt water pool? What a storm that was.....WOW! So glad you and your home are alright. Piper is so cute with the pups and a great photographer too! Happy 65th birthday!!!! I'm 10 1/2 years older than you....you're a youngster! Have a nice weekend! hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you and Dennis are doing OK these days. Take good care, friends.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Imagine your life without the Healthcare Marketplace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much different unfortunately except I would have saved monthly premiums. It has paid a very, very small percentage of my prescriptions this year and nothing else. I dread getting my doctor bills for last week, especially the cardiologist. Plus, I just got a letter that I have to pay for my mammogram this year too. It certainly hasn't lived up to it's Affordable Healthcare name for me. Maybe others have had better experiences, but none that I've talked to have.
      Blessings,
      Betsy

      Delete