Tuesday, June 4, 2024

More Stormy Weather

Hello and happy Tuesday to everyone. We have rain predicted to start falling in a little while with a chance of severe storms, so I’ve gotten all my errands done this morning and will stay home the rest of the day. It is hot and humid out there and I don’t do well with humidity as we all know. We’ve been busy with Mom this week. She seems to be fixated now on the fact that Dennis and I are living together. 🤷‍♀️ She wants to know why that’s necessary!? She has asked us that every day for the past five or six days. When Dennis told her we’ve been married 46 years, she didn’t believe him. She thinks we’re just living together.  I wondered why she had been so rude to me the last few days. Every time I did anything for her or suggested anything to her she would say, “well I’ll just wait and talk to Dennis about that, you don’t know anything about me.” Apparently that’s the newest thing going on in her mind. It’s so sad. It keeps us on our toes though, because we don’t ever know what’s going to be next. Last night she thought the entire family was all living together in a huge house and we had put her away somewhere and are pushing her out of the family. She wanted to know why I was there when we’re not even married and she wasn’t allowed to be. Oh my goodness!

On to happier things. I finished another wheelchair blanket for the facility Mom lives in. I think the colors together turned out well together.

And another wheelchair blanket. It is done in my Mom’s favorite colors. Both blankets are made using Caron One Pound yarn from JoAnns’s. The peach color on the outside is from a solid color skein and all of the other colors are part of a variegated skein. As I said, my Mom would have loved this. Anything that was in a peachy tone she would have thought was beautiful.

You see my model in the above picture and both puppies on my lap early this morning. We’re taking care of Lizzie for a few days. It’s been so much fun and the girls are loving it. They are both cuddle bugs. They really like soft blankets too.

Here we were on a car ride on Saturday. Both girls love to ride in the car. I don’t know why I always tilt my head up like that unless it’s because I can’t see out of my bifocals to take a picture otherwise! Lizzie always puts her head on Dennis’s shoulder as he’s driving and Zoey is constantly on the alert for anything moving.

Connie from the blog “Far Side Of Fifty” sent me this wonderful sock yarn the other day. I love to use Patons Kroy Socks. It knits up beautifully with nice patterns and makes very hard wearing socks. Thank you so much, Connie. I appreciate you thinking of me in the middle of everything you’ve had to do recently.

I thought I would show you a photo of Dennis‘s new truck topper. We’ve used it for one camping trip and it makes things so much easier than the tonneau cover we had before. In fact, since he has an 8 foot truck bed, we could even sleep back there if we needed to. I think that sounds like fun, but he’s not nearly as excited about that as I am. He does really like the topper though. 

That’s about it here. Dennis is volunteering at the open door mission today and tomorrow. He’s usually there eight or nine hours on Tuesday and Wednesday. I’ve just been getting some errands done and doing a bit of cleaning today. Now I think I’ll sit down and knit on my current pair of socks. I must confess to the fact that I’ve been playing on my iPad more than I’ve been crocheting or knitting lately. For some reason, I’m addicted to Spider Solitaire and a block building game, as well as Wordle. I’ve been on quite the winning streak with Wordle though, and I hate to mess that up!😂 This is fairly unusual for me, as I would usually rather be crocheting or knitting than anything else. I’ve decided that I’m allowed to do this once in a while and not to beat myself up for it though.

I hope all is going well with all of you. I think we’re getting into the hot and humid days of summer in the Midwest. We’re both getting excited about heading toward the mountains at the end of the month. If all goes as planned, we should be gone about a month. Take care everyone.

Blessings, 
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with dementia. Steve's dad was pretty bad at times. You have to keep remembering it is not personal. But, IT IS HARD.

    The pups, as always, are adorable. I'd love to have a dog, but I think Mr. G. would not be happy with that turn of events. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those doggies are so cute. You're blessed. I'm sorry you have troubles with mom. Thats got to be difficult for you and Dennis. The wheelchair blankets came out really beautiful. Catch you later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way the mind starts to work when you are suffering from dementia is so sad. I used to sit and listen to the patients in dad's care home tell me the wildest stories. They were always on their way to work or embroiled in some family drama that didn't exist. It broke my heart. I drove home in tears after every visit.
    On a happier note, the blankets are beautiful. My mom loved peach too. She also liked peach liqueur and had a nip every night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BETSY: DEFINITIVAMENTE LA MANTA COLOR MELOCOTON ES MI PREFERIDA, ES MUY LINDA Y LOS COLORES SON EXCELENTES. LAMENTO LO DE TU SUEGRA, ES DIFICIL LLEGAR A ANCIANO, RECUERDO A MI BISABUELA QUE TUVO DEMENCIA, SE OLVIDABA DE TODO, ERA UNA ESPAÑOLA MUY DULCE Y BUENA, PERO CUANDO NO RECORDABA ALGO, A VECES SE PONIA ENOJADA Y QUERIA IRSE DE LA CASA, FALLECIO A LOS 98 AÑOS DE EDAD, LA RECUERDO CON MUCHO CARIÑO,HACE MUCHISIMOS AÑOS QUE FALLECIO. ESPERO QUE PASES POR MI BLOG,HICE UNA PUBLICACION ULTIMAMENTE. BENDICIONES DULCE HERMANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SY: THE PEACH-COLORED BLANKET IS DEFINITELY MY FAVORITE, IT'S VERY PRETTY AND THE COLORS ARE EXCELLENT. I'M SORRY ABOUT YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW, IT'S HARD TO GET TO OLD, I REMEMBER MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER WHO HAD DEMENTIA, SHE FORGOT EVERYTHING, SHE WAS A VERY SWEET AND GOOD SPANIARD, BUT WHEN SHE DIDN'T REMEMBER SOMETHING, SOMETIMES SHE GOT ANGRY AND WANTED TO LEAVE THE HOUSE, SHE PASSED AWAY AT THE AGE OF 98, I REMEMBER HER WITH A LOT OF AFFECTION, IT'S BEEN MANY YEARS SINCE SHE PASSED AWAY. I HOPE YOU GO TO MY BLOG, I MADE A POST LATELY. BLESSINGS SWEET SISTER.

      Delete
  5. Dementia is hard. I am glad you figured out why she was short with you, you wanton woman (just kidding). It's hard to talk them out of the ideas in their heads. It has to be so frustrating to her too. The blankets are beautiful and I know the recipients will appreciate them! I love Wordle, too. I felt a little guilty at my new routine (I play 3 word games every morning now). I had lunch with my high school friends and found out they play the same games! We are telling ourselves that it is keeping our minds sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that you have to deal dementia. I know it's very hard. My husbands mother lived with us for 3 years while she had Alzheimer's. I learned a couple of things. First, they simply don't know what they don't know. I found that made things a little easier when I realized she really didn't know that she was losing her memory. The other part was much more difficult. My husband and brother-in-law decided they needed to take her car away so she couldn't drive anymore. In her mind her children would never do things to her. My daughter and I were the culprits. It got to be ridiculous. She thought my daughter and I were always taking her things and hiding them. She finally had to be put in a nursing home which was set up for Alzheimer's patients. Unfortunately, both of her daughters who were nurses didn't want anything to do with her. It was left to us and my husband's brother and his wife. She's gone now. I am thankful that we treated her with respect and did things in a way that honored her. I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you would put that sock yarn to good use! You are so welcome! I am so sorry you have to deal with Demenia with Mom. It helped when my husbands Mom was forgetful, I made a small scrapbook for her to page through, photos of her , her husband, his obituary and photos of the kids and grandkids...even great grandchildren. It seemed to help her some of the time!
    So you and Dennis have been shackin' up all this time:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always great to hear from you, Betsy. So sorry to hear about Dennis's mom and the things her mind is conjuring up. I hope and pray that she will leave those goofy thoughts far behind one of these days. Take good care and stay safe from storms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What pretty wheelchair/lap blankets you've made! Always being creative💗.
    I hope you are not hit with bad storms and heavy rain. It would be nice if it got a bit cooler and the humidity went down too. We're hopeful of seeing the sun in the coming days. I'm afraid all the rain has brought out a zillion little weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Betsy, I am so sorry you are going through this with your MIL. Dementia/Alzheimer's does such crazy things to their minds, and they think it is all so real. Praying for you and your hubby as you deal with these issues. My MIL put us through some real hoops back in her day, and it was a very challenging time for all of us. But when all was said and done, I am very thankful for the time that we had together during those years and I felt blessed to be able to help her in as many ways as I was able until we did have to put her in a nursing home for the last year + of her life. I still miss having her around. We used to have some fun times as well. But she is in a better place today and totally healed. Sending (((hugs))) to you. Love the little lap blankets. They are beautiful, and the pups are so sweet. I pray you have a blessed and happy rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love the blankets you made, and what a nice lot of yarn to be gifted. I have not yet learned to knit socks. I bought all the supplies back in 2020, and never did learn. the pups look so happy. I hope your stormy weather isn't (or wasn't) too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the stroller blankets you knit.
    Dementia is definitely the disease of our century,
    it is so hard to distance yourself from your personality and all that you were!!
    Your car is perfect and I think you are very comfortable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tough about your mil; it is hard to witness in a loved one and hard to deal with! The wheel chair blankets are gorgeous! Have fun making the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness, that’s a large truck! It must use a great deal of fuel. Dementia is so very hard, I’m sorry for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe a few photos from your wedding would help convince your MIL that you and Dennis are indeed married.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry Dennis's mom doesn't understand what is going on in life, especially since and Dennis have been married for years. Yes, wedding photos 📸 are good to show her...per Shirley's comment. We had rain a few days and now it's warm and will be a bit warmer thru Saturday. I cut back my 3 rose bushes this evening. 🌹 a few of the roses are flower vase. I hope you seen my text message I sent you . Pickup truck 🛻 and cover for the bed of the truck looks good . Enjoy time away having a safe trip . Blessings, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello! I understand about your MIL, and I am so sorry. This disease is so difficult for all who are afffected. Have you read the book The Thirty Six Hour Day? It was suggested to me when my father was being treated for Dementia. It was so insightful, I bought one for each of my sisters, and now we refer to it as our mother battles Alzheimers. If not, please let me know and I can send you a copy! Hugs, my dear friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went through similar things with my mom, it is really sad. Nice truck and I can see that the new topper is nice for camping! We never were campers, it looks like fun but our interest took us in another direction. It's good your girls like to ride in the car, my Bitsy does not. She shimmers and shakes the whole time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry to hear about Dennis' Mom. Dave's grandma went off on some really weird tangents in her last year. It's very hard to see them upset over something that isn't real.

    Beautiful blankets. I love the peach one.

    I laughed a little about your comment on sleeping in the back of the truck. Dad has always had a truck, and his ideal vacation was taking it somewhere remote, throwing an air mattress in the back and using it as their "tent". Mom was always - ummm no. I want a REAL bed" Lol. And the older I get, the more I'm afraid I agree with her!

    ReplyDelete