Friday, June 21, 2024

Oldies but Goodies

We made it to Friday! Have any of you melted? I hope you don't fall over in shock since I've posted twice this week.  I have some photos from when I went to a big antique store about 30 miles sw of Omaha with my sister a couple of weeks ago. We had such a great time.  First we went to the huge candy store where they sell the old fashioned candy from when I was little. Remember the wax bottles of kool-aide and candy cigarettes? They have almost every candy you can imagine, but the majority is made right here and it's called Baker's Candies. Oh my goodness. The dark chocolate mint is fabulous. I had Dennis hide it from me or I would have eaten the entire bag within a few days. He gives me a few every night. I'm so pitiful. No self-control at all.

I thought I would share a few pictures I took at the antique store.  Christmas in June!

Precious Moments anyone? There were hundreds of figurines.

Hundreds of Hummel Figurines too. Oh look! They're on sale!

All of the white and blue hobnail dishes were on sale in this booth.

I fell in love with this teeny tiny piano that actually played. It had a bench that went with it.  I tapped out "Mary Had a Little Lamb" but it was out of tune.

I really like this Raggedy Ann and Andy mirror. Wouldn't it be perfect in a baby's room?

But the bottles were what amazed me. They were in booths all over the store. Some Coca-Cola bottles were over $20.00! I saw Grape Knee-High bottles and many different root beer bottles. I wish I had thought to keep our old pop bottles. Maybe we could have funded our retirement. lol

There goes Melanie. As I said before, we had a great time. We've never been able to do things like this until we moved back three years ago. Can you believe it's been three years? I can't. We still miss Spokane terribly, but I absolutely love being able to spend more time with Melanie. Thirty years ago, before we moved to Spokane we were both working full-time and had little kids. Life kept us really busy. She's still working, although she is of retirement age, but she still likes working. She also volunteers at least 2 days a week, usually more, at the University of Nebraska Med. Center. She rocks babies in the NICU and the nurses love her. She's been doing that for years and is known as the baby whisperer there and at church. But she has lots of vacation and other days off and we try to get together often. We also go to church together so I get to see her at least once a week. I sure love her. She's a WoNdErFuL big sister. She always protected me as a little girl too, although for some reason it was okay for her to beat me up. :-)

Here's the almost obligatory photo of the girls. Tuesday when I took Piper to tennis camp they played so hard at Mandy & Brad's that they both crashed in Mandy's office while she was working. She said they were exhausted. Always together and I love how they love each other. Sisters forever. 

Piper did great at tennis camp. They told her she should be moving up to the next level in the fall and then the final level is tournament play.  She's been taking lessons for several years now. I spent awhile watching her play at the camp and thought she did very well. Lots better than Grandma. Dennis and I used to "play" when we were dating 47 years ago! Well, actually he hit the ball to me and I never returned it. I mean I missed it every. single. time. To say I'm not athletic would be a huge understatement.

This is the project I'm working on now. It's another wheelchair blanket to donate. I'm using Caron Jumbo Ombre in the faded jeans colorway. No pattern used. Just one row dc and one row 3 dc shell. I hope to finish it before we leave Monday morning, but time is passing and I really need to start packing. Since we'll be gone over a month there is a lot to take. I'm planning to take small projects like socks and dishcloths to work on while we're driving. 

I think I posted this verse before but it was my Mom's favorite verse and I've been thinking of her a lot. She would have loved to spend the day with Melanie and I. She had an amazing sense of humor and literally everyone who met her, loved her. I honestly don't know anyone who didn't like her.

Okay. I'll stop for now. I'll try to post while we're gone as much as possible. Of course a lot will depend on WIFI. Take care and stay cool.

Blessings and love,
Betsy

20 comments:

  1. Aren’t antique stores fun to browse! The pitcher in from of Raggedy Ann and Andy brought back some memories from the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So blessed to have a sister to hang out with! I love visiting antique stores. I always find things my mother or I donated to a goodwill and agree, we could have funded retirement if we had only had a crystal ball!! I just love those puppy pals. My youngest granddaughter just finished tennis camp, too. Her new stepdad is the high school tennis coach and I have a feeling they will be practicing all summer. She is only going into third grade, but she really does seem to have a natural ability. My tennis story is hilarious. My friends and I "played" in high school for fun. Our town had a summer tennis tournament and somehow we all got registered. My friends all lost the first round, but my competition didn't show up, so I got a bye. Then the next week, my competition didn't show up, and I got a bye. This went on until I made it to the finals and had to play one match which I lost miserably. It was embarrassing. Yet, I got a 2nd place women's city tennis league trophy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it was fun to see the Shiny Brites in the antique shop, what a nice outing for you! Travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is not one athletic bone in my body either. It's great that Piper is doing so well at tennis. It's also wonderful to see the relationship you have with your sister💗💗.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos!
    I loved the geese and the bears!!
    What a nice picture to have someone reading and drinking water waiting for the library to open!!
    Have a nice weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun antique store. Nice that you can have so much time with Melanie now. I think you leave for your camping trip in a couple of days - safe travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so blessed to have family/friends nearby to do things with. I am out in the country, so we get zero visitors unless we host a big shin-dig. We are still painting/repairing and renovating, so that isn't happening. I love the pattern you are doing for the blanket. I am so far behind with all things indoors, despite our heat wave. I'm exhausted when I come inside, and do not want to do a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love to visit antique malls, so many things to enjoy! It's eye candy for sure. The pictures were great, it's been a while since I've been to one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun time! We used to have one of those old time candy stores on the boardwalk and I was so sad when it closed up. My mom collected Hummel and Precious Moment figurines. I have no idea what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Antique stores are the best things! That very first picture of the Christmas decor, there are two white angels hanging on the left. My mom had those exact ones except hers were gold. Thank you for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your relationship with your sister is just eviable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looked like a fun day and so much to see. Eye candy indeed! I love the photo of the pups sharing their bed, that would be cute to use on an anniversary card :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to have a sister day! That would be such fun. I haven't been shopping with my sister in many years, but probably because I'm too impatient and she's too slow. She has to look at E-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e t-h-i-n-g and I just can't quite handle that. LOL. But I love her, and she's a good big sister too. I call her my "little big sister" because she is much littler than I am, but she is my big sister. And my Mother would've loved it too if we all went shopping together. Now that I DO miss. I am through collecting things and really need to open my own shop and sell what I have, but most everything has some kind of sentimental value and it's hard to part with it just yet. My kids will probably have to do the honors someday. So you are going to be gone a month? I hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy being with friends/family or just by yourselves wherever you are. I am behind in reading and not sure but I think you must be going to Spokane? Oh I love that new blanket! That looks so comfy! You do such beautiful work. And your pups are so much like our grandpups, Sugar and Spice. Thankfully for them, they live together and are constant companions. They are so sweet and fun to watch. Well, take care and have a lovely time. Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed a game of shuffle board today with my son--does that count as athletic?! lol
    I'm glad you enjoy your time with Melanie! It's important! The shop looks like it was wonderful! The texture you have created in the wheelchair blanket is incredible!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful verse. May your day be lovely and blessed.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dave and I love antique shops like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH wow....You're almost ready to leave on your trip! Have a wonderful time. I hope you will be able to send us updates as the days go along. Your posts are always so interesting! You make travel seem so simple. I wish I felt like that about it. Oh well.....I wish you both the very best. May God take good care of you as you travel over the next month!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot to mention how much I loved your pictures from the antique store you and your sister visited. That's MY kind of store! Glad you shared such a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was my Boarding school motto. From 30 years ago. I went to Keswick School in Cumbria. England. For 6 years. It's still a High School/Boarding School, with that motto to this day. Thank you for the memory

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your visit to the antique store sounds delightful—Christmas in June is always a treat! The dark chocolate mint from Baker's Candies sounds irresistible; you're not alone in the struggle for self-control.

    Read my new post!

    ReplyDelete